Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
***2023 NFL Draft Thread***
I think Mazi is a name to remember since I don't think paying a NT big money is something they can afford to do with paying a franchise qb and (2) widereceivers. A NT isn't one of those "priority positions". Reader may be gone after this year.

Welcome..... Forbes or Joey Porter Jr. who is falling (but may pose a little uneasy feelings with pops).

I think if the money is going to go towards Offense, the draft is going to go towards defense. That's how it was when we were spending all that money on the Defense since Zac came aboard. The money went to Defense, Offense got the draft and got young. Now it's time to flip the script. I think we'll see that and we did starting last year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 03:37 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: [Image: giphy-downsized-large.gif]

[Image: giphy.gif]

Happy Draft Day Holic, everybody! Cool

I am thinking if either Bijan or Forbes are there they are the pick tonight. But I am warming up to Jahmyr Gibbs even though he
isn't the best pass protector. He can chip blitzers and be insanely dangerous after the catch. Faster Alvin Kamara is what he reminds
me of. Also, a DT like Mazi Smith or Keeanu Benton would be a good idea if we aren't looking into extending the Gravedigger.

Don't think Wright will be there, but would take him as well if he is. This would be great insurance in case Carman isn't the answer
at RT and would allow us to trade Jonah if we can.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 12:15 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: idk what it is about Charbonnet but his tape doens't do it for me. He just looks slow and unathletic to me. This offense needs speed and someone who can make guys miss.

He certainly can make guys miss. Forced 68 missed tackles last season, tons of yards after contact. Won't go down from an arm tackle, can make a guy miss, can stiff arm a guy away. 9.65 RAS, 3rd highest at the combine, so not unathletic.

Just lacks the long speed to be otherworldly, so you'll get a lot more big chunk rushes than homerun breakaways. If he had EVERYTHING then there wouldn't be a chance the Bengals could get him, let alone potentially get him near the end of the 2nd round.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Lots of smoke on Gibbs

McShay, Kiper, and others now mocking Gibbs to the Bengals
Reply/Quote
Gibbs can't pass block tho so he won't help fill a need even if we cut Mixon. We go Gibbs, and we'll have to get a pass blocking back later in the draft. I'd be ok with Gibbs, but we'd need a second back.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 01:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He certainly can make guys miss. Forced 68 missed tackles last season, tons of yards after contact. Won't go down from an arm tackle, can make a guy miss, can stiff arm a guy away. 9.65 RAS, 3rd highest at the combine, so not unathletic.

Just lacks the long speed to be otherworldly, so you'll get a lot more big chunk rushes than homerun breakaways. If he had EVERYTHING then there wouldn't be a chance the Bengals could get him, let alone potentially get him near the end of the 2nd round.

Yeah, I like Charbonnet in the 2nd round a lot. Him and Tyjae Spears are my guys there. I think Spears is by far the more 
explosive, playmaking type of RB but like you said, Charbonnet does pretty much everything well. Would be a good pick.

Saw pass block ratings of both and Spears was the better pass blocker, but that isn't what I saw when watching Charbonnet.

Gibbs is the terrible blocker, if we do Draft him tonight we will have to hope he really works on this all OTA's and TC.

(04-27-2023, 01:02 PM)BengalBob Wrote: Lots of smoke on Gibbs

McShay, Kiper, and others now mocking Gibbs to the Bengals

It makes sense as far as it would open up another aspect to our Offense. Couldn't always run the 2 high against us cause 
Gibbs would tear you up underneath in the passing game.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 01:12 PM)jj22 Wrote: Gibbs can't pass block tho so he won't help fill a need even if we cut Mixon. We go Gibbs, and we'll have to get a pass blocking back later in the draft. I'd be ok with Gibbs, but we'd need a second back.

Yep, Luepke is my guy in the mid rounds if we do draft Gibbs tonight.

Thought we were going to double dip at RB anyways, but Gibbs would make it necessary.
Reply/Quote
Amazon just delivered my copy of "From Bulldog to Bengal", the Joe Burrow story as told by those who watched him grow up, and the draft starts at 8PM. Shaping up to be a good day Tater..... Tiger
Reply/Quote
Gibbs pass blocking means very little right now. He is going to be drafted because he is a dynamic offensive weapon that you might be able to coach up to an adequate pass blocker.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 01:23 PM)Synric Wrote: Gibbs pass blocking means very little right now. He is going to be drafted because he is a dynamic offensive weapon that you might be able to coach up to an adequate pass blocker.

True, Gibbs isn't like Mixon who is an old dog that cannot learn new tricks. You draft Gibbs to be that dynamic Offensive weapon that
would tear up Defenses when they are playing 2 high.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 01:12 PM)jj22 Wrote: Gibbs can't pass block tho so he won't help fill a need even if we cut Mixon. We go Gibbs, and we'll have to get a pass blocking back later in the draft. I'd be ok with Gibbs, but we'd need a second back.

Then you cut Mixon and bring in a guy like Zeke. You can still get a pass blocking RB through FA for cheap. Perine kind of screwed us. I'd feel 100% more comfortable drafting a guy like Gibbs and cutting Mixon with a guy like Perine on the roster still. That being said, you can still go out and get a guy like that after the draft.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
My not so hot take is that Duke trades out of round 1 tonight.
Reply/Quote
Drafting Gibbs opens the door for Chase and Tee to go off.

Teams won’t be sending as much pressure on Burrow fearing Gibbs might carve them up.

If we do trade back god I’d love seeing Washington in stripes.
Reply/Quote
My other take is we have beef in this thread as some posters decide to post a Twitter-spoiler for a pick before it is aired on TV.
Reply/Quote
Who the board say got the better draft coverage ESPN or NFLN?

I tend to go back and forth depending on the pick (I definitely check what both say for the Bengals) if it's a reach/surprise pick, or massive trade.... I liked Mayock and Gruden who are both gone now.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 01:53 PM)jj22 Wrote: Who the board say got the better draft coverage ESPN or NFLN?

I tend to go back and forth depending on the pick (I definitely check what both say for the Bengals) if it's a reach/surprise pick, or massive trade.... I liked Mayock and Gruden who are both gone now.

ESPN.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
I don’t think Gibbs will be there and I know Bijan won’t be.

I have a weird feeling they go DB.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 01:23 PM)Synric Wrote: Gibbs pass blocking means very little right now. He is going to be drafted because he is a dynamic offensive weapon that you might be able to coach up to an adequate pass blocker.

In his last year at Georgia Tech - he had a pass block grade of 59.2, with 3 pressures in 59 chances. The kid is very willing and very coachable, so there's definitely something there to work with.

What he would add to this offense far outweighs his current limitations in pass pro. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 01:58 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I don’t think Gibbs will be there and I know Bijan won’t be.

I have a weird feeling they go DB.

I think the DB is Forbes.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 01:53 PM)jj22 Wrote: Who the board say got the better draft coverage ESPN or NFLN?

None of the above.  Go with ABC.  Since ESPN owns them, they get all same statistical support, but NO Kiper or McShay egos dueling it out for air time.
Reply/Quote