Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
***2023 NFL Draft Thread***
So this is a pure shot in the dark for me, but here's a website that lists the top 5 punters in the 2023 NFL draft and Robbins is listed as the 5th punter, in their opinion.

https://bnbfootball.com/2023-draft/punter-rankings/

Quote:Robbins didn’t need to punt very much for Michigan this year, and when he did it was usually from good field position. As a result, his 42.3 punting average doesn’t really stand out. But watching film will show you a punter who really gets under it and is able to consistently generate NFL-level hang time. Robbins barely allowed any returns this year, and forced fair catches on 48.8% of his punts, one of the higher rates in the nation. He also managed to completely avoid any touchbacks with year, while having 16 punts downed inside the 20. The 6th year senior looked good at the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl, and earned a combine invite alongside it.

2022 Stats
42.3 yards per punt, 16 inside the 20, 0 touchbacks, 48.8% fair catch forced, long of 64

However, one thing of note is that his "fair catch rate" is the highest among these 5 listed and significantly higher than several of the top choices like Turk and Baringer and he had zero (as in not a single one) touchbacks.

It seems like Simmons emphasized precision and hang time over distance with this pick, which makes sense.
Reply/Quote
OSU/UM punting competition eh??
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 06:21 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Heeeeey, the first punter off the board to the Bengals. Nice! Wasn't Turk though.

Robbins is pretty darn good too and he is used to kicking in Ohio weather.

So who will win out Michigan's Robbins or OSU's Chrisman?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Not a huge leg but accurate.... meh.

Strengths
Punts with above-average hang-time.
Allows very few return attempts.
Solid in executing directional punts.
Displayed good touch with no touchbacks in 2022.

Weaknesses
Inconsistent driving the ball in the open field.
Touch-to-toe time is a little slow.
Had punt blocked and returned for a touchdown against Rutgers.

Reply/Quote
Robbins isn't a guy who will flip the field with a booming punt, but he punts with a lot of hang time, excels with directional kicks, and allows very few returns.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 06:22 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Second. Pats took Baringer a while back. 

(04-29-2023, 06:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think the Pats took one earlier

Ah, my mistake. 

Either way, nice pick, in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
averages only 42.3 yards per kick and has only 3 kicks inside 20 out of 179 kicks, how lol. ESPN stats have to be wrong
Reply/Quote
We trust our O to get a couple 1st downs at worst
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 06:23 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Turk has a better leg but Robbins has better touch on his kicks

With the Bengals offense, you have to expect when they’re punting it’ll be from somewhat decent field position. Direction and hang time over a bigger leg perhaps?
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 06:21 PM)Housh Wrote: Let’s all be honest. All our TE is gonna be asked to do is block and catch wide open passes mostly over the middle and maybe be able to get 3-5 yards after a catch. It doesn’t take Travis Kelce to do that. Even if worse case happens and Irv is injured in pre season, it’s not like we’ll win or lose even 1 game because our TEs couldn’t catch.

We could literally trot out Wilcox, Sample and blank and i would not be afraid for the season.

Yeah but it’s nice to have a guy who can put a little scare in the defense. Sample is 50/50 on catching the ball and 25/75 on remaining upright if he does catch it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Robbins seems solid. I’m good with it.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 06:24 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: So this is a pure shot in the dark for me, but here's a website that lists the top 5 punters in the 2023 NFL draft and Robbins is listed as the 5th punter, in their opinion.

https://bnbfootball.com/2023-draft/punter-rankings/

However, one thing of note is that his "fair catch rate" is the highest among these 5 listed and significantly higher than several of the top choices like Turk and Baringer and he had zero (as in not a single one) touchbacks.

It seems like Simmons emphasized precision and hang time over distance with this pick, which makes sense.
Definitely a Simmons guy

Overview
Finesse punter who will be much better at pinning opponents near their own end zone than bailing his team out with power. He punts with much better hang-time than we are used to seeing from college punters and landed nearly half of his punts inside the 20-yard line in 2022.

Strengths

• Punts with above-average hang-time.

• Allows very few return attempts.

• Solid in executing directional punts.

• Displayed good touch with no touchbacks in 2022.
Reply/Quote
Amazing how everyone suddenly becomes a better scout of punters than Simmons.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Kuntz to the Jets.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 06:24 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Not a huge leg but accurate.... meh.

Strengths
Punts with above-average hang-time.
Allows very few return attempts.
Solid in executing directional punts.
Displayed good touch with no touchbacks in 2022.

Weaknesses
Inconsistent driving the ball in the open field.
Touch-to-toe time is a little slow.
Had punt blocked and returned for a touchdown against Rutgers.

I think Simmons has talked about caring more about directional punting and hangtime than just booting it 50+ yards with low hangtime. 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 06:25 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: averages only 42.3 yards per kick and has only 3 kicks inside 20 out of 179 kicks, how lol. ESPN stats have to be wrong

That’s pretty bad.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 06:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Amazing how everyone suddenly becomes a better scout of punters than Simmons.

Hilarious isn't it?
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 06:26 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: With the Bengals offense, you have to expect when they’re punting it’ll be from somewhat decent field position. Direction and hang time over a bigger leg perhaps?

will he kick it out of bounds instead of down the braindead middle is the question
Reply/Quote
They're going to take a TE with the 7th round pick and say in the presser they did it to appease the message board. It will be Taylor from Cincinnati just to cover the bases.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 06:24 PM)Whatever Wrote: Robbins isn't a guy who will flip the field with a booming punt, but he punts with a lot of hang time, excels with directional kicks, and allows very few returns.

If he’s a tangible upgrade over Christman I’ll be surprised.

I didn’t know it was possible to be underwhelmed by a P with the last pick in the 6th, but it’s been that kind of a draft.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote