Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 OL Draft Prospects Group Assessments
(02-07-2023, 02:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not a huge fan of Fred Johnson as a starter, but he likely would have been better out at RT than Adeniji.

Yeah, I don't want us to be in that position again in 2023 but it is hard to figure out a solution. If we had another option we could have immediate confidence in I would suggest moving on from L'ael Collins but as it is I just hope he is better and healthier this year than last.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 05:39 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Yeah, I don't want us to be in that position again in 2023 but it is hard to figure out a solution. If we had another option we could have immediate confidence in I would suggest moving on from L'ael Collins but as it is I just hope he is better and healthier this year than last.

I hope so too, but what I suspect is that his deal was structured with the easy out for the team in case what happened did happen.  I'm thinking that Collins, as well as Mixon will both be cut to free up cap space to pursue other players with.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
After watching how close we came to getting to the Super Bowl with a shadow of an offensive line - and seeing the impact that both O-Lines had in last night's game - I'm almost ready to throw out the best player available option and do whatever it takes to put together a much improved offensive line - especially focused on right tackle and left guard. The interiors of those two offensive lines were such large determinants of how well they played. Especially Philadelphia's. Can you imagine Burrow with that offensive line?? I also like the idea of at least a day 2 three technique.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 12:35 PM)3wt Wrote: After watching how close we came to getting to the Super Bowl with a shadow of an offensive line - and seeing the impact that both O-Lines had in last night's game - I'm almost ready to throw out the best player available option and do whatever it takes to put together a much improved offensive line - especially focused on right tackle and left guard.   The interiors of those two offensive lines were such large determinants of how well they played.   Especially Philadelphia's.   Can you imagine Burrow with that offensive line??   I also like the idea of at least a day 2 three technique.

I am with you brother
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 12:05 PM)Synric Wrote: Bump.

Guard might not be high on the list but there are some really good IOL that could be had early. John Michael Schmitz looked great at the Senior Bowl and was coaching guys when he wasn't taking reps. Dude is an instant leader.

I was impressed with his ability to block down field and his versatility. I think he would immediately supplant Volson who could be quality depth in case of injury.
Reply/Quote
I just got done watching Matthew Bergeron and I came away impressed. I don't think he's ever going to be a high end starter at any position but I would love to see him in stripes as the first guy off the bench at both tackle and guard spots in any scheme. I know people don't wanna talk about the 6th guy but as we seen with Adeniji the last two seasons that 6th guy can be pretty important.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 07:31 PM)Synric Wrote: I just got done watching Matthew Bergeron and I came away impressed. I don't think he's ever going to be a high end starter at any position but I would love to see him in stripes as the first guy off the bench at both tackle and guard spots in any scheme. I know people don't wanna talk about the 6th guy but as we seen with Adeniji the last two seasons that 6th guy can be pretty important.

I like him as well, I dont think he makes it to Day 3...

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 12:35 PM)3wt Wrote: After watching how close we came to getting to the Super Bowl with a shadow of an offensive line - and seeing the impact that both O-Lines had in last night's game - I'm almost ready to throw out the best player available option and do whatever it takes to put together a much improved offensive line - especially focused on right tackle and left guard.   The interiors of those two offensive lines were such large determinants of how well they played.   Especially Philadelphia's.   Can you imagine Burrow with that offensive line??   I also like the idea of at least a day 2 three technique.

A healthy Cappa, Collins, and Williams and we would have looked much better. 

The OT class is weak. And no G/C types are across the board first rounders. Expecting a rookie to come in and transform things is probably unrealistic. As is big FA spending. 

I like Schmitz, Avila, Wypler, and Wright. And Maybe Jones or Bergeron or Mauch. But those are Day 2 guys for me. And likely depth pieces to start. Though Karras could move to LG. 

Upgrading Smith, Adeniji, maybe Hill, and filling Scharping's slot shouod be our priority. A smart FA signing on the discount of guys who are cap casualties and at least 1 draft pick, maybe 2, in the top 4 rounds.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 01:07 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: A healthy Cappa, Collins, and Williams and we would have looked much better. 

The OT class is weak. And no G/C types are across the board first rounders. Expecting a rookie to come in and transform things is probably unrealistic. As is big FA spending. 

I like Schmitz, Avila, Wypler, and Wright. And Maybe Jones or Bergeron or Mauch. But those are Day 2 guys for me. And likely depth pieces to start. Though Karras could move to LG. 

Upgrading Smith, Adeniji, maybe Hill, and filling Scharping's slot shouod be our priority. A smart FA signing on the discount of guys who are cap casualties and at least 1 draft pick, maybe 2, in the top 4 rounds.

I agree with you.   But I just don't see the O linemen that are good enough available by the end of the 2nd round.  At least good enough to get two.  If we could trade down with the likelihood of drafting a Schmitz, Wright or Mauch at the beginning of 2 I'd be all over that.  My fear is that by the end of round 2 there won't be players that are difference makers as either starters or backups.  I actually like the guard and center prospects enough to draft at the end of one.

I am normally a BPA guy big time.   But unless we do something significant in free agency, I'd take two of those guys in the first two rounds.  We are thin at guard and tackle and have to make sure we have the depth to allow our offense to compete with the best in the playoffs with the likelihood that there are going to be injuries - especially given the injury history of our tackles.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 01:56 PM)3wt Wrote: I agree with you.   But I just don't see the O linemen that are good enough available by the end of the 2nd round.  At least good enough to get two.  If we could trade down with the likelihood of drafting a Schmitz, Wright or Mauch at the beginning of 2 I'd be all over that.  My fear is that by the end of round 2 there won't be players that are difference makers as either starters or backups.  I actually like the guard and center prospects enough to draft at the end of one.

I am normally a BPA guy big time.   But unless we do something significant in free agency, I'd take two of those guys in the first two rounds.  We are thin at guard and tackle and have to make sure we have the depth to allow our offense to compete with the best in the playoffs with the likelihood that there are going to be injuries - especially given the injury history of our tackles.

Good post. 

On availability, I think Wright, Jones, and Schmitz do not last to late 2nd. Avila, Mauch, and Bergeron could. I could see Wypler there in Rd 3. Guys like Vohrees, Tippman, Freeland, and Peterson also. The kid from Maryland looks like he should be good but isn't yet (Duncan). 

The more I think about it, if a Rd 1 stud type does not fall to us, and there are around 20 of those at non-QB spots, trading back into the 30s wiuld be fantastic. Take Wright/Jones there and nab an extra 2nd or high third. 

Regardless, I also might get aggressive trying to move up in the 2nd or 3rd. We moved up twice last year.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2023, 04:12 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Good post. 

On availability, I think Wright, Jones, and Schmitz do not last to late 2nd. Avila, Mauch, and Bergeron could. I could see Wypler there in Rd 3. Guys like Vohrees, Tippman, Freeland, and Peterson also. The kid from Maryland looks like he should be good but isn't yet (Duncan). 

The more I think about it, if a Rd 1 stud type does not fall to us, and there are around 20 of those at non-QB spots, trading back into the 30s wiuld be fantastic. Take Wright/Jones there and nab an extra 2nd or high third. 

Regardless, I also might get aggressive trying to move up in the 2nd or 3rd. We moved up twice last year.

I think I've seen analyst claiming Wright might not even make it to 28.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2023, 04:40 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: I think I've seen analyst claiming Wright might not even make it to 28.

He might not. But then again, there are about 40-50 guys who "might not" make it to 28. 

I looked at 4 mocks (Kiper, McShay, Jeremiah, Brooks), By my count, there are 43 different players selected. 21 in every dratt; 22 not. 

Of the 21 taken in all 4, 16 never make it to 28: Young (QB), Stroud (QB), Carter (DT), Anderson (OLB/Edge), Levis (QB), and Skoronski (OT) are always top 10. Wilson (DE), Johnson Jr (OT), Witherspoon (CB), Gonzalez (CB), Porter (CB) are always top 20. That's 11. 5 more never make it to 28: Murphy (DE), Smith-Njigba (WR), Johnston (WR), Addison (WR), and Robinson (RB). Though some come close. That is 16. 

5 more are taken in all 4, but do slip to 28 at least once: Jones (OT, Kiper), Mayer (TE, Jeremiah), Kincaid (TE, McShay), Van Ness (DE/DT, Brooks), and Flowers (WR, Jeremiah). That's 21. 18 non- QBs. If any of them slip, they have to be seriously considered. The OTs & CBs are no-brainers. The DE/DTs are close, as are the TEs with Hurst unsigned. The WRs and RBs sure would be tempting, especially if none of the other blue chips are there AND Bell, Pratt, & Hurst are in the fold. 

5 guys are missing from 1 mock: Branch (CB/S, Kiper), White (DE/DT, Kiper), Torrence (OG, Kiper), Richarson (QB, Brooks), and Bresee (DT, Kiper). I put Branch in the category of a blue-chipper. White not quite but close enough with that versatility. Richardson is an obvious no. For me, so is Bresee in Rd1. Too much bust potential and too many productive options for me to gamble in Rd 1. I do like Torrence, but he plays Cappa's spot. If one could move to LG, I'd stringly consider that. He is a maybe. That is 20 guys I would almost certainly nab if there, maybe 21. Unless there is a glaring need created by FA/injury that makes a guy we like at the next level more appealing. 

20 + Torrence + 4 QBs + Bresee = 26 guys. It is possible all those guys could be gone before we draft. If you subtract the QBs, Bresee, and the guys at spots we have plus starters signed (WR & RB), it is 17. I am sure things will get shaken up a bit at the combine, but the top guys almost all have good/grat tape or measurables (White, Bresee, Richardson). They are not likely to fall far. 

8 guys are on 2 mocks. Some of these guys will likely be available to us. Though certainly sime of the OTs/CBs could be gone. Harrison (OT, Kiper & McShay), Wright (OT, Kiper & Jeremiah), Banks (Kiper & Jeremiah), Smith (CB, McShay & Jeremiah), Forbes (CB, Kiper & Brooks), Hyatt (WR, Jeremiah, Brooks), Ringo (CB, McShay & Brooks), and Gibbs (RB, McShay & Brooks). 

I'd gladly take any of the first 4. Forbes is a bit of a reach, but I think he is clearly better than Ringo (who is more of a measureables guy than a player) or any other CB prospect not yet mentioned. I don't like Ringo (prospect not player). Hyatt gives us speed, but is a clear step down from the first 4 WRs and is a bit raw. And I do not think taking a RB who cannot play every down in Rd 1 makes any sense (Gibbs). 

9 guys appear only once. Kiper has McDonald (OLB/Edge), Sanders (LB), Musgrave (TE), Washington (TE), and Kancey (DT). McShay has Duncan (OT). Brooks has Johnson (S). Jeremiah has Anudike-Uzomah (DE) and Smith (Edge).

I'd likely just go ahead and reach for an OL guy like Jones (RT) or Schmitz © than that lot. Though McDonald or Kancey as pass rushers or the TEs would be OK. 
Reply/Quote
Ultimate Bummer Scenario:

1) We lose 2 or more of Bell, Pratt, Hurst, & Perine. Plus Bates.
2) Only 3 QBs go in the first. Young, Stroud, Levis
3) 5 OTs go: Skoronski, Johnson, Jones, Harrison, Wright.
4) 5 CBs go: Witherspoon, Gonzalez, Porter, Banks, Smith.
5) 5 DE/Edges go: Anderson, Wilson, Murphy, Van Ness, White.
6) 1 DT goes: Carter.
7) 2 TEs go: Mayer, Kincaid.
8) 1 Safeties goes: Branch.
9) 1 LB goes: Sanders
10) 4 WRs go: Addison, Johnstonn, Smith-Njigba, Flowers

That's 27. We either have to take Robinson, a pass rush guy that doesn't fit our system (McDonald, Kancey); a non-1st round OL proospect (Jones, Avila); or one at a position we don't need (Torrence, Schmitz); reach slightly for a DB (Forbes) or TE (Musgrave, Washington), S (Johnson), or LB (Simpson) to fill a need. Or make a luxury WR pick (Hyatt).
Reply/Quote
Just want to say great job on the thread and all the homework by you guys, namely ICTR85.

Hoping Darnell Wright makes it us and we take him more than anything, best RT I have seen that fits exactly what we need.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2023, 06:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just want to say great job on the thread and all the homework by you guys, namely ICTR85.

Hoping Darnell Wright makes it us and we take him more than anything, best RT I have seen that fits exactly what we need.

Just here to point out, our name specifically was one Wright said spoke to him. Leads to think maybe we're really high on him.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 01:07 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: A healthy Cappa, Collins, and Williams and we would have looked much better. 

I agree with this assessment.  If the top tackles are from OSU (look up OSU OL draft history) and Storonski being comped to our very own Jonah Williams, then it's better to wait till 2nd and 3rd round to draft a tackle for need, IOL positional strength could be among the weakest groups this year as well.  Not in it for side grades, we need upgrades.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2023, 10:37 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Just here to point out, our name specifically was one Wright said spoke to him. Leads to think maybe we're really high on him.

Makes sense. Fits perfectly, just hope others don't take him right in front of us knowing such....
Reply/Quote
Broderick Jones ended up bigger than reported and has great arm length. He was being reported at 6'4" and closer to 300 before the combine.
Reply/Quote
USC G Andrew Vorhees tore ACL at combine. Still did the most reps on bench (38) AFTER he tore it.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35799489/source-ol-draft-prospect-andrew-vorhees-torn-acl
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 05:47 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: USC G Andrew Vorhees tore ACL at combine. Still did the most reps on bench (38) AFTER he tore it.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35799489/source-ol-draft-prospect-andrew-vorhees-torn-acl

Shocked

Wouldn't mind grabbing Vorhees next year if he is available. Liked what I saw of him every USC game I saw.
Reply/Quote