Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 OL Draft Prospects Group Assessments
(04-04-2023, 02:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm as much of an OSU fan as any, but I'll be quick to say that Jones could have really benefitted from another year in the system.  Staying in school another year to lean down to around 340, get that footwork and balance corrected, better reflexive hand targeting, etc. would have likely guaranteed him a top 10 selection in 2024.   

I do not disagree at all. Frankly I am not a huge fan of his as a prospect but I also am not going to hate the choice if that is what this staff feels is in the best interest of the team. I believe if you select Jones that you are doing so believing that you can use the strengths that he does have to help the team and to shield the offense from his weaknesses.

I have had this very discussion with Chiefs fans about Orlando Brown Jr. and the way Mahomes plays QB. Brown is probably not the best LT prospect to be protecting Mahomes because Mahomes is a mover and takes some of the deepest drops in the NFL. Orlando Brown Jr. is not a model of athleticism and is not going to be a guy that mirrors pure athleticism from the defense. With Burrow you are looking to keep power from pushing the pocket inward and not so much worried about the defender being ridden to the rear of the pocket at distance. Burrow does not drop nearly as deep as Mahomes and he moves forward in the pocket more than he moves laterally in the pocket. So Orlando Brown Jr. should fit far better within the Bengals scheme than the Chiefs.
Reply/Quote
At this point I would take Jones off my Round 1 draft board. Not sure about Anton Harrison either but I feel he has more upside. If Wright is not there, then I am leaning to Wanya Morris or McClendon mid rounds.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 04:23 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: At this point I would take Jones off my Round 1 draft board.  Not sure about Anton Harrison either but I feel he has more upside.  If Wright is not there, then I am leaning to Wanya Morris or McClendon mid rounds.

Given that more than likely Jonah Williams is going to be with the team through '23 and is more than likely going to be the RT then I would really like to see Wanya Morris selected in the the 5th or so if he is there. I think he is a promising prospect that actually carries the traits to play left or right tackle at a relatively high level. Low risk high reward prospect. However, I think they need to be sure on his off the field demeanor. It was my understanding that there was a brief suspension at Oklahoma do to grades or schoolwork issues.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 04:30 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Given that more than likely Jonah Williams is going to be with the team through '23 and is more than likely going to be the RT then I would really like to see Wanya Morris selected in the the 5th or so if he is there. I think he is a promising prospect that actually carries the traits to play left or right tackle at a relatively high level. Low risk high reward prospect. However, I think they need to be sure on his off the field demeanor. It was my understanding that there was a brief suspension at Oklahoma do to grades or schoolwork issues.

The more I read, more I like Morris.  I think he was overlooked.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 10:16 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The more I read, more I like Morris.  I think he was overlooked.  

For what it is worth I found this comparison interesting:

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 10:55 AM)OSUfan Wrote: For what it is worth I found this comparison interesting:

Looks like Harrison is a better prospect.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 12:42 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Looks like Harrison is a better prospect.

Could be but that is not really what I got out of the comparison. Measurables and testing for both of them are damn near identical. Harrison may be a bit more refined as a prospect but I do not think the separation between the two is that vast.
Reply/Quote
Any thoughts on Cody Mauch? [Image: 17971] Looks like a "Glass Eater"   https://gobison.com/sports/football/roster/cody-mauch/17971 
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 05:56 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Any thoughts on Cody Mauch? [Image: 17971] Looks like a "Glass Eater"   https://gobison.com/sports/football/roster/cody-mauch/17971 

I like Mauch. However, I am not sure he can contribute right away, coming from FCS. Bit of a tweener as well. Though, like Bergeron, that can be a plus as well. But if he is a guard, he is not gonna play ahead of Cappa/Volson, and I don't want to burn a Day 2 pick in a guy who does not play a premium position AND likely won't play much. If he's a tackle, I am not sure he's playing ahead of Jonah, Carman, or a healthy Collins. At least not right away.

I think we have more pressing needs at TE, CB, RB, and in pass rush. I want a plug and play guy at OT or a clear upgrade from a starter on the IOL in Rd 1-2. 

Round 3 I might take a harder look, but he is likely gone by then. 
Reply/Quote