Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 OL Draft Prospects Group Assessments
(03-24-2023, 03:20 PM)Whatever Wrote: I don't see the Bengals adding potentially 6 OL to the 15 they already have.  Going into TC with 20+ OL doesn't seem feasible.  

Signing depth guys like Ford and Scharping also seems to indicate that they aren't planning on drafting depth there.  Obviously, it depends on how their board falls, but looking at how FA has fallen, it looks like it would have to be a value pick.

Brown was not a planned signing.  Per Pollack, at the last minute, Duke told him, "Hey, take a look at this guy.". Pollack said adding a big ticket T wasn't even on his radar.  My guess is that they pounced because the FA T market is extremely soft and they had cap to burn after losing Bell.

Looking at the current roster, those draft picks start getting spoken for rather quickly when we need a TE1, plus a TE2 or 3, a S to compete with/supplant Scott, RB2, depth at outside CB, plus wiggle room for value drops.  

I see you are preparing us for not drafting a RT early...

That is cool, IF Jackson Carman becomes a stud there which in my eyes is the ideal scenario. If Carman becomes a stud at RT bright days 
are ahead. Plus if we draft a RT at 28 and he gets beaten out by Carman that would he another what if scenario in the future I wouldn't like
to play in. We will see, hope the cards just fell right for us, sure seems so with Orlando Brown who's agent just contacted us because he 
wanted to play LT.

With Jonah wanting a trade instead of moving to RT it also could benefit us in a great way, who knows, he wasn't exactly great at LT and 
has been injury prone his entire time here.
Reply/Quote
Bengals and Saints ran Blake Freeland through drills that were "excruciating" lol. Not quite sure that I like the Bengals looking at a zone specific OT.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-taking-close-look-byu-offensive-lineman-blake-freeland
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I am going to retract some of my concerns with Dawand Jones. I went back and rewatched much of his tape, notably Michigan, and there really was major improvement in his lateral movement from the beginning of the season to the end of the season. While he may not ever be a guy that is great at pulling across the formation it is apparent that he has worked hard on his feet and technique and I feel better with him as a RT possibility for the Bengals. There were even instances in the Michigan game where he was able to disengage from a double team block and catch a blitzing safety or corner.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 07:18 AM)Synric Wrote: Bengals and Saints ran Blake Freeland through drills that were "excruciating" lol. Not quite sure that I like the Bengals looking at a zone specific OT.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-taking-close-look-byu-offensive-lineman-blake-freeland

I don't want Freeland.  Give me McClendon instead.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 07:18 AM)Synric Wrote: Bengals and Saints ran Blake Freeland through drills that were "excruciating" lol. Not quite sure that I like the Bengals looking at a zone specific OT.

Due diligence. 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 09:58 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I am going to retract some of my concerns with Dawand Jones. I went back and rewatched much of his tape, notably Michigan, and there really was major improvement in his lateral movement from the beginning of the season to the end of the season. While he may not ever be a guy that is great at pulling across the formation it is apparent that he has worked hard on his feet and technique and I feel better with him as a RT possibility for the Bengals. There were even instances in the Michigan game where he was able to disengage from a double team block and catch a blitzing safety or corner.

Yeah, liking DaWand more and more if Darnell Wright isn't there. I think he could do the job and be our RT for the next 10 years
and be good at it. He will never be crazy athletic with that size but at RT we won't need him to be crazy athletic, just not a problem.

(03-26-2023, 07:59 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I don't want Freeland.  Give me McClendon instead.  

No to Zone Tackles please. Enough of trying to put square pegs into round holes.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 06:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, liking DaWand more and more if Darnell Wright isn't there. I think he could do the job and be our RT for the next 10 years
and be good at it. He will never be crazy athletic with that size but at RT we won't need him to be crazy athletic, just not a problem.

No to Zone Tackles please. Enough of trying to put square pegs into round holes.

If Jones is there in the 2nd I'd take him all day long.  
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 09:18 PM)samhain Wrote: If Jones is there in the 2nd I'd take him all day long.  

Yeah, or even trade back out of the 1st and grab him I would be fine with.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 09:18 PM)samhain Wrote: If Jones is there in the 2nd I'd take him all day long.  

So would I. I would also take him at 28 and plug him in as your RT for the next 10 years like they did with Willie. Guys like Wright and Jones are the RT this team has been seeking since Willie left.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 07:22 PM)OSUfan Wrote: So would I. I would also take him at 28 and plug him in as your RT for the next 10 years like they did with Willie. Guys like Wright and Jones are the RT this team has been seeking since Willie left.

Imagine if DaWand Jones fell to 60 and we grabbed him after taking Darnell Washington at 28. 

Talk about adding some big dudes at their respective positions! Twitch
Reply/Quote
Adding another name I don't know if has been discussed but I'm enjoying watching lately.

Chandler Zavala LG NC St.

Currently a late round pick. Absolute mauler. Scored a 9.95 RAS despite ONLY being 6'3". Unfortunately, arm length not posted at this time. Bring him in for depth/Volson competition?

Anyone have any knowledge/opinions on him?
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 09:57 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Adding another name I don't know if has been discussed but I'm enjoying watching lately.

Currently a late round pick. Absolute mauler. Scored a 9.95 RAS despite ONLY being 6'3". Unfortunately, arm length not posted at this time. Bring him in for depth/Volson competition?

Watching film on Zavala he looks like he is NFL ready and I cannot figure out why he is projected as late as he is or even as an UDFA. I keep feeling like there is something I am missing but he looks really dominant in all the film I have watched. I mean he really just stands out when you watch their O line. Another one I have been highly impressed with is Jerome Carvin from Tennessee. If you have not seen film on him I suggest watching some. He stood out to me when I was watching Darnell Wright.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 09:57 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Adding another name I don't know if has been discussed but I'm enjoying watching lately.

Thanks for this WVUHomer. Will check out Zavala later on today.  Wink

(03-31-2023, 10:02 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Watching film on Zavala he looks like he is NFL ready and I cannot figure out why he is projected as late as he is or even as an UDFA. I keep feeling like there is something I am missing but he looks really dominant in all the film I have watched. I mean he really just stands out when you watch their O line. Another one I have been highly impressed with is Jerome Carvin from Tennessee. If you have not seen film on him I suggest watching some. He stood out to me when I was watching Darnell Wright.

Rock on, will check out Carvin too who you had in one of your mocks.  Rock On
Reply/Quote

I think it is a reach at #28. Especially if a really good TE/DE/DT/CB is there. Or Robinson. 

Doubt he lasts until #28. 

My dream is the Packers make the Jets give up #13 so the 
y decide to trade us #42 or #43 for Jonah. 
Reply/Quote
Frelund at NFL.COM, who kind of has a unique methodology, has us taking Wright at #28.

https://www.nfl.com/news/cynthia-frelund-2023-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-packers-select-wr-jaxon-smith-njigba-fal

She is data driven, and has constructed a model that predicts wins added for players, with fit & scheme & teammates all factored in. She then lets the model determine which available players would add the most wins for that team & uses the model's picks in her mocks.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 02:49 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Frelund at NFL.COM, who kind of has a unique methodology, has us taking Wright at #28.

https://www.nfl.com/news/cynthia-frelund-2023-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-packers-select-wr-jaxon-smith-njigba-fal

She is data driven, and has constructed a model that predicts wins added for players, with fit & scheme & teammates all factored in. She then lets the model determine which available players would add the most wins for that team & uses the model's picks in her mocks.

So what you're saying is shes guessing.  Smirk

PS: Bruce Feldman new mock also has the Bengals taking Wright. He does his latest mock by listening to coaches and sources so maybe... Wright lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I have a hard time seeing Wright being available at 28 if he is the real deal - the year that Carman came out there was a bunch of 2nd rounders that looked legit but haven't really done much. But who knows.

Every draft seems to have 2-3 positions where there is more depth than normal going into the first for starting quality players - looks like TE and CB this year. You have to take one of those guys if they are available. Not a lot of smart picks late in first this year outside those two positions.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 10:02 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Watching film on Zavala he looks like he is NFL ready and I cannot figure out why he is projected as late as he is or even as an UDFA. I keep feeling like there is something I am missing but he looks really dominant in all the film I have watched. I mean he really just stands out when you watch their O line. Another one I have been highly impressed with is Jerome Carvin from Tennessee. If you have not seen film on him I suggest watching some. He stood out to me when I was watching Darnell Wright.

Saw him earlier in the process and was impressed as well. I honestly may be more impressed with the "later" round IOL than the early round IOL.
Reply/Quote

He played one year in high school.
Went to Fairmont St fot 4 years, but the team didn't play any fall games in 2020.
Transferred to NC State.
Missed 7 games in 2021 because of back injury / surgery.
Was granted a 6th year of eligibility in 2022. 

NFLDraftBuzz lists his arm length as 32 6/8. 
Had pass block grades of 79.5 and 89.5 at NC St, and run block grade of 68.6 and 79.5. 
Allowed 1 sack and 8 pressures over 615 pass pro snaps. 
62% of his run blocks were on zone runs.

The 2 most common things people seem to rave about are his power and motor.
Dane Brugler has him as his highest rated non-combine invite this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 02:22 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I think it is a reach at #28. Especially if a really good TE/DE/DT/CB is there. Or Robinson. 

Doubt he lasts until #28. 

My dream is the Packers make the Jets give up #13 so the 
y decide to trade us #42 or #43 for Jonah. 

I wouldn't lose my mind if they took him at 28, but I mostly agree with it being a bit of a reach.  It's a tough one.  He's got some rawness, but he's also got some tape where he does very well against high-level competition.  If he could catch on quick at the pro level-yikes!  

It's also kind of nagging that the team has like 7 tackles on the roster and 3 candidates to start on the right side.  One is a disgruntled position swap, one is hurt, and one has yet to earn the staff's trust.  All of them lack a deal of any long-term substance.  I have no clue why they singed Ford.

TE and secondary look like major needs, with pass rush also in the mix.  It really all depends on who falls to them.  TBH, secondary is my biggest concern.
Reply/Quote