Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 OL Draft Prospects Group Assessments
(03-07-2023, 05:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Shocked

Wouldn't mind grabbing Vorhees next year if he is available. Liked what I saw of him every USC game I saw.

Do you mean "for next year"? He's in this draft class.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 10:07 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Do you mean "for next year"? He's in this draft class.

Maybe the thinking is you grab him with the 7th round pick this year, put him on IR and you have him for next year. 
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 10:34 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Maybe the thinking is you grab him with the 7th round pick this year, put him on IR and you have him for next year. 

That is the thinking. 

Vorhees won't be able to play this year, so if we really like him for next year maybe we take him late or as a UDFA.

He was damn good at USC whenever I watched them play.
Reply/Quote
Happy I read we visited (have a visit) scheduled with Dawand Jones. Bring on the beef.
Reply/Quote

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 06:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is the thinking. 

Vorhees won't be able to play this year, so if we really like him for next year maybe we take him late or as a UDFA.

He was damn good at USC whenever I watched them play.

Dude benched 38 reps of 225 on one leg with a torn ACL. I bet he gets drafted in the 4th or 5th round.
Reply/Quote
I posted this over in the FA section of JN but thought i'd throw it here too, since it pertains to OT needs and the draft. 

Kaleb McGary

Really came on this year for Atlanta. Run blocking was elite. Zone heavy run offense and a few have pointed out Pollack's preference of a wide zone attack. Pass blocking was good this year and he stuffed TJ Watt. Gotta like the thought of that twice a year. Falcons didn't pick up his 5th year option last year or tag him this year and the dude has put himself in a position to cash a check. 

Contract projections are prob around 12-13M AAV. I think that's doable with unloading Collins and Mixon (or drastically lowering Mixon's cap hit) as well as losing Bates contract. 

This is a guy the Bengals could get in FA, their one "big" splash, which would make the draft wide open. As much as i like Darnell Wright, this is the kind of move that could really open things up for the Bengals to add some young talent on rookie contracts in key spots. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 01:02 AM)pulses Wrote: Dude benched 38 reps of 225 on one leg with a torn ACL. I bet he gets drafted in the 4th or 5th round.

Yeah. He's not going to be sitting there near the end of the draft and he's no way in hell gonna be there as a UDFA. 

He was projecting to be average to solid before the ACL and seeing as how his first year, he will be 25 though...

That might move him in the "nah" category for me. 

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 01:53 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah. He's not going to be sitting there near the end of the draft and he's no way in hell gonna be there as a UDFA. 

He was projecting to be average to solid before the ACL and seeing as how his first year, he will be 25 though...

I would have to agree.
Reply/Quote
I would really like Anton Harrison at #28 but the more pressing factor facing the Bengals is LC at RT. I would not be shocked to see him cut with an injury settlement so for this reason I feel that the Bengals should take Darnell Wright at #28. I see some lobbying for Dawand Jones and I do not want to discount his abilities but I do believe he will struggle with speed at the NFL level. Wright seems less one dimensional in his game and as well is brute strong. I feel like this would give us out best RT option since Big Willy.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 01:02 AM)pulses Wrote: Dude benched 38 reps of 225 on one leg with a torn ACL. I bet he gets drafted in the 4th or 5th round.

Could be correct. Would rather have a guy that could play this year in those rounds myself.

(03-09-2023, 01:44 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I posted this over in the FA section of JN but thought i'd throw it here too, since it pertains to OT needs and the draft. 

Kaleb McGary

Really came on this year for Atlanta. Run blocking was elite. Zone heavy run offense and a few have pointed out Pollack's preference of a wide zone attack. Pass blocking was good this year and he stuffed TJ Watt. Gotta like the thought of that twice a year. Falcons didn't pick up his 5th year option last year or tag him this year and the dude has put himself in a position to cash a check. 

Contract projections are prob around 12-13M AAV. I think that's doable with unloading Collins and Mixon (or drastically lowering Mixon's cap hit) as well as losing Bates contract. 

This is a guy the Bengals could get in FA, their one "big" splash, which would make the draft wide open. As much as i like Darnell Wright, this is the kind of move that could really open things up for the Bengals to add some young talent on rookie contracts in key spots. 

Nice thought on McGary. Would love adding him, proven. ThumbsUp

(03-09-2023, 01:53 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah. He's not going to be sitting there near the end of the draft and he's no way in hell gonna be there as a UDFA. 

Same. I was only saying as a 7th rounder or a UDFA. Sounds like he will be drafted earlier, that is impressive stuff for a guy 
with a torn ACL.
Reply/Quote

Before the injury, Andrew Vorhees was projected to be a 4th round pick.  With the injury I would think he slides.

For the Bengals, I dont know if they would use a 5th or 6th for Vorhees if he slides from his original projected round.  I think the Bengals might look to drafting a punter in the 5th or 6th if someone like Michael Turk is there that could help the team immediately.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 04:48 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Before the injury, Andrew Vorhees was projected to be a 4th round pick.  With the injury I would think he slides.

For the Bengals, I dont know if they would use a 5th or 6th for Vorhees if he slides from his original projected round.  I think the Bengals might look to drafting a punter in the 5th or 6th if someone like Michael Turk is there that could help the team immediately.

Good points, yeah, don't see Vorhees value going up THAT much with an ACL tear on top of it. That was impressive, but he won't play 
this year. I do think we should draft a Punter this draft for sure. Chrisman doesn't look to be the answer.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 05:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good points, yeah, don't see Vorhees value going up THAT much with an ACL tear on top of it. That was impressive, but he won't play 
this year. I do think we should draft a Punter this draft for sure. Chrisman doesn't look to be the answer.

Not sure I would write off Chrisman after a half a season. They would not have cut Huber if Simmons did not see things that he thought were very positive with Chrisman.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 05:25 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Not sure I would write off Chrisman after a half a season. They would not have cut Huber if Simmons did not see things that he thought were very positive with Chrisman.

True, but we should at least add a Punter in this Draft to compete with him. What we did see in games wasn't that impressive.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 05:25 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Not sure I would write off Chrisman after a half a season. They would not have cut Huber if Simmons did not see things that he thought were very positive with Chrisman.

Statement is debatable. We knew what Huber was, we had to figure out what Chrisman was. We ran out of elevations so to keep him punting, we had to sign him to play him.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 01:22 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Statement is debatable. We knew what Huber was, we had to figure out what Chrisman was. We ran out of elevations so to keep him punting, we had to sign him to play him.

I do not agree with that statement at all. They see them every day in practice and they have a very good idea of what they are. They do not cut someone with the performance record of Huber as an experiment. Chrisman was known for having a strong leg but had some troubles with the directional portion of the game which I am sure is still a work in progress. If Simmons agreed to Huber being cut it was because he had seen enough from Chrisman to make that change to the roster.
Reply/Quote
Starting to see Skoronski fall in mock drafts due to his short arms. If he were available at #28, would you guys go for Skoronksi or still go after Jones or Wright at #28?
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 11:05 PM)Yogo Wrote: Starting to see Skoronski fall in mock drafts due to his short arms.  If he were available at #28, would you guys go for Skoronksi or still go after Jones or Wright at #28?

I think in Wright you have a swing OT that will be good maybe great.  In Jones you have a 10-year RT that may be next Big Willie.  In Skoronski, you have an 10-year all-pro LG that will be good at LT/RT but maybe not great.  I can't imagine that he would be worse than JW.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 11:05 PM)Yogo Wrote: Starting to see Skoronski fall in mock drafts due to his short arms.  If he were available at #28, would you guys go for Skoronksi or still go after Jones or Wright at #28?

I would still go Darnell Wright if both are there because it wouldn't be a move, Darnell would be playing RT where he was playing 
last season. Really like Skoronski though if Darnell is gone like seems to be more common place now in the mocks.

(03-10-2023, 11:12 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think in Wright you have a swing OT that will be good maybe great.  In Jones you have a 10-year RT that may be next Big Willie.  In Skoronski, you have an 10-year all-pro LG that will be good at LT/RT but maybe not great.  I can't imagine that he would be worse than JW.  

Well said Psych. If we do draft Skoronski I think moving players would have to be on the table. Bring in Eluemunor at RT and it 
is all good. Makes whatever the pick is all the better.
Reply/Quote