Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 OL Draft Prospects Group Assessments
Dawand Jones did not do any position drills and refused to weigh in at the Ohio State Pro Day. Kinda makes you wonder if he's tipping the scales at 390 now lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yeah and Bryce Young did not throw at the combine.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 02:26 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Yeah and Bryce Young did not throw at the combine.

Bryce Young threw at his Pro-Day. Dawand Jones refused to do any kinda movement drills outside of one day at the Senior Bowl. Then refused his pro day weigh in. Rick Speilman former GM was talking about it being a red flag specifically how it was handled at the Pro-Day.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 04:38 PM)Synric Wrote: Bryce Young threw at his Pro-Day. Dawand Jones refused to do any kinda movement drills outside of one day at the Senior Bowl. Then refused his pro day weigh in. Rick Speilman former GM was talking about it being a red flag specifically how it was handled at the Pro-Day.

He looked damn good at the Senior Bowl didn't he and that was going against live competition not just playing around in shorts so which is it that you feel proves more? Yep Young threw at his Pro Day with people he was totally comfortable with while the other prospects threw at the combine and trusted their arms and abilities.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 07:50 PM)OSUfan Wrote: He looked damn good at the Senior Bowl didn't he and that was going against live competition not just playing around in shorts so which is it that you feel proves more? Yep Young threw at his Pro Day with people he was totally comfortable with while the other prospects threw at the combine and trusted their arms and abilities.

I'm just repeating what an actual NFL GM at Jones' Pro-Day witnessed so I'm not writing it off. Its funny cuz this was a Darnell Wright issue early (senior bowl) in the process but tightened up through the combine and pro day. If Jones does have weight issues it seriously wouldn't be a surprise.

Reply/Quote
Matt Miller on ESPN plus posted an updated article on players with a first round grade. I don’t think I can post the link and I don’t want to violate any coc rules or copyright laws. There are only 3 ot and 1 te in the group.

Wright is not in that group. Whether he falls to us obviously remains to be seen. But there’s a chance and I think I’ve convinced myself that I hope he’s our pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 10:25 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Matt Miller on ESPN plus posted an updated article on players with a first round grade.  I don’t think I can post the link and I don’t want to violate any coc rules or copyright laws.  There are only 3 ot and 1 te in the group.  

Wright is not in that group.  Whether he falls to us obviously remains to be seen.  But there’s a chance and I think I’ve convinced myself that I hope he’s our pick.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Miller is with ESPN now? A long way from Bleacher Report good to see. He's copying the Dane Brugler from CBS to The Athletic path as a Media Draft Scout (not an analyst). 

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 08:51 AM)Synric Wrote: Dawand Jones did not do any position drills and refused to weigh in at the Ohio State Pro Day. Kinda makes you wonder if he's tipping the scales at 390 now lol.

(04-02-2023, 09:41 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm just repeating what an actual NFL GM at Jones' Pro-Day witnessed so I'm not writing it off. Its funny cuz this was a Darnell Wright issue early (senior bowl) in the process but tightened up through the combine and pro day. If Jones does have weight issues it seriously wouldn't be a surprise.

Don't like that with DaWand Jones. Need to wait till the 2nd on him if he is overweight, if then.

Don't like weight issues with an already big OT.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 09:41 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm just repeating what an actual NFL GM at Jones' Pro-Day witnessed so I'm not writing it off. Its funny cuz this was a Darnell Wright issue early (senior bowl) in the process but tightened up through the combine and pro day. If Jones does have weight issues it seriously wouldn't be a surprise.

Do you have a link for these GM comments? I have been searching for them but have been unable to find them.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 04:24 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Do you have a link for these GM comments? I have been searching for them but have been unable to find them.

Oops thought it was in the orginal post. Sure Rick Speilman over at the 33rd team.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/nfl-draft/2023-nfl-draft-ohio-state-ot-dawand-jones-disappoints-at-pro-day/

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 08:51 AM)Synric Wrote: Dawand Jones did not do any position drills and refused to weigh in at the Ohio State Pro Day. Kinda makes you wonder if he's tipping the scales at 390 now lol.

After the Senior Bowl and Combine he might have went on vacation.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 05:21 PM)Synric Wrote: Oops thought it was in the orginal post. Sure Rick Speilman over at the 33rd team.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/nfl-draft/2023-nfl-draft-ohio-state-ot-dawand-jones-disappoints-at-pro-day/

That is seriously what you got? You really bit on some click bait there didn't you? I love the sensationalizing of this article with the wording like "refused" to weigh in. So they told him to weigh in and he said no? So the evidence you are referring to is simply a visual from another person but no actual number or anything to base it off of. Well here are photos from the Pro Day and there is an image of Jones with Cam Brown and Ronnie Hickman. The Jones in this picture looks no heavier than the Jones at the combine or Senior Bowl. Take a look and say you disagree.

https://buckeyeswire.usatoday.com/gallery/ohio-state-football-pro-day-photos-2023-cj-stroud-jaxon-smith-njigba-buckeyes/
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 08:44 AM)OSUfan Wrote: That is seriously what you got? You really bit on some click bait there didn't you? I love the sensationalizing of this article with the wording like "refused" to weigh in. So they told him to weigh in and he said no? So the evidence you are referring to is simply a visual from another person but no actual number or anything to base it off of. Well here are photos from the Pro Day and there is an image of Jones with Cam Brown and Ronnie Hickman. The Jones in this picture looks no heavier than the Jones at the combine or Senior Bowl. Take a look and say you disagree.

https://buckeyeswire.usatoday.com/gallery/ohio-state-football-pro-day-photos-2023-cj-stroud-jaxon-smith-njigba-buckeyes/

Rick Spielman said he had never seen anyone refuse their pro day weigh in he himself questions if Dawand Jones is near 400. This is coming from an award winning NFL General Manager that was at the Ohio State Pro Day. Dawand Jones also refused to do any movement drills at the combine or pro day. Combine that with inconsistent landmarks and hand timing. 

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 10:23 AM)Synric Wrote: Rick Spielman said he had never seen anyone refuse their pro day weigh in he himself questions if Dawand Jones is near 400. This is coming from an award winning NFL General Manager that was at the Ohio State Pro Day. Dawand Jones also refused to do any movement drills at the combine or pro day. Combine that with inconsistent landmarks and hand timing. 

Here again you continue to take the click bait of Spielman. Jones explained pretty straight forward that he simply felt he did not have anything else to prove and right here in this video he does not look any heavier at all. Watch the video yourself and tell me if you honestly feel he looks any different than he did at the combine. What do your eyes tell not what Spielman told you to think.

https://www.google.com/search?q=did+dawand+jones+refuse+to+weigh+at+the+ohio+state+pro+day&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS876US876&oq=did+dawand+jones+refuse+to+weigh+at+the+ohio+state+pro+day&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160j33i299.12802j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:ce3184e4,vid:hUQHVec0HGc
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 12:10 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Here again you continue to take the click bait of Spielman. Jones explained pretty straight forward that he simply felt he did not have anything else to prove and right here in this video he does not look any heavier at all. Watch the video yourself and tell me if you honestly feel he looks any different than he did at the combine. What do your eyes tell not what Spielman told you to think.

https://www.google.com/search?q=did+dawand+jones+refuse+to+weigh+at+the+ohio+state+pro+day&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS876US876&oq=did+dawand+jones+refuse+to+weigh+at+the+ohio+state+pro+day&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160j33i299.12802j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:ce3184e4,vid:hUQHVec0HGc

So my choices are believe Rick Speilman or your best carnival guess his weight act? Add in no movement drills or testing and inconsistent landmarks/hand timing on tape which is very important for him as the type of tackle he projects too.

One thing the Bengals will have is the private workout they have scheduled so they may get him to do movement drills for Frank Pollack. 

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 10:23 AM)Synric Wrote: Rick Spielman said he had never seen anyone refuse their pro day weigh in he himself questions if Dawand Jones is near 400. This is coming from an award winning NFL General Manager that was at the Ohio State Pro Day. Dawand Jones also refused to do any movement drills at the combine or pro day. Combine that with inconsistent landmarks and hand timing. 

Wow, just imagine how he might look once left to making use of his own time and decisions with millions of dollars in his hand?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 12:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wow, just imagine how he might look once left to making use of his own time and decisions with millions of dollars in his hand?

Yes, it is a concern whether OSUfan wants to believe Spielman or not...

At least weigh in and do a couple drills. If Pollack has him do some drills and he looks alright, all for the pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 02:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, it is a concern whether OSUfan wants to believe Spielman or not...

At least weigh in and do a couple drills. If Pollack has him do some drills and he looks alright, all for the pick.

I'm as much of an OSU fan as any, but I'll be quick to say that Jones could have really benefitted from another year in the system.  Staying in school another year to lean down to around 340, get that footwork and balance corrected, better reflexive hand targeting, etc. would have likely guaranteed him a top 10 selection in 2024.   

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Apparently Tomlin has been talking to him a lot. They are picking 17, 32, and 49. As much as I like him now. I'm probably going to have to hate him.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 12:19 PM)Synric Wrote: So my choices are believe Rick Speilman or your best carnival guess his weight act? Add in no movement drills or testing and inconsistent landmarks/hand timing on tape which is very important for him as the type of tackle he projects too.

One thing the Bengals will have is the private workout they have scheduled so they may get him to do movement drills for Frank Pollack. 

Well one choice is not to be a complete smartass. I asked a rather simple question and encouraged you to use your own judgement. I see images of Jones at the combine, at the Senior Bowl, and at the OSU Pro Day and sorry just do not see a real difference in any image. So apparently the carnival guess your weight act of Speilman is just fine. No worries I won't ask you to think for yourself anymore.
Reply/Quote