Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2023 Ring of Honor Inductees
If they kept it to only players who had amicable departures from the team hardly anyone would get it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 10:15 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: No problem with either of these two. Chad is my favorite Bengal of all time.

Does anyone know exactly how the selection process takes place? Is it 100% based on season ticket holders votes? Are there other factors? I looked on the FAQ but it wasn't super clear.

If it's just based on season ticket holder votes, then I think thats a dumb way of doing it. It's what drives me nuts about all star selections in any sports - its based on biased fan voting.

I think it'd be more credible if it was a combination of season ticket holder voting, maybe a roundtable discussion or votes from the media, and former ROH inducties. What are other's takes on this?

I just think about myself. Me being 30 years old I have zero idea of the impact some of these older former players had on the franchise prior to like the akili smith, corey dillion years.

I like this idea.

The 2 going in this year are certainly deserving of the honor. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 11:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If they kept it to only players who had amicable departures from the team hardly anyone would get it.

i don;t think throwing he equipment into the stands fits that departure well at all... in the end it less about departure and more about how he still feels and im sure many of the new season ticket holders were not too happy about his comments ... 
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 10:18 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Yeah, year 1 was 4, to get the obvious ones in (KA, Riley, Munoz, PB) and 2 every year since.

I do agree with Dillon that it should be 3 at least each year, but I guess 2 is what they're sticking with for now.

Yep. After the first 4 i'd say, at least for 2 or 3 years, do at least 3 to get it populated with very deserving and long-waiting former players. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Again I think some of you don't know the voting process.

I've had season tickets for nearly 20 years so I get 20 votes per seat. Joe Smo who just got season tickets last year only gets 1 vote per seat.

Most of these voters are from season ticket members who was around when Corey Dillon played.

I'll be honest a little shocked Johnson got in this go around thought he'd be next year.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 11:18 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yep. After the first 4 i'd say, at least for 2 or 3 years, do at least 3 to get it populated with very deserving and long-waiting former players. 

I was just think the same thing. There are a lot of players from 70's and 80's that are going to be forgotten, if they keep it at 2.

70's:
Cassanova
Parrish
Montoya
LeClair
Trumpy
Bass

80's:
Fulcher
Brooks
Woods
Collinsworth
Holman
E. Brown
R. Williams

Obviously a few more that I can't think of.
Reply/Quote
So happy for Chad. The ultimate ambassador for this team, and that dates back to when it wasn't popular to be (for which he'll never be given full credit). I remember when he was hosting dinners on the road for travelers. I went to one in Charlotte. Short-lived tradition but it was glorious. Classic Chad. He loved his diva self... but he always loved you just a wee bit more.

I hope he enjoys this honor and I know he'll share it with his little brother Slim. Good man.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 11:27 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I was just think the same thing. There are a lot of players from 70's and 80's that are going to be forgotten, if they keep it at 2.

70's:
Cassanova
Parrish
Montoya
LeClair
Trumpy
Bass

80's:
Fulcher
Brooks
Woods
Collinsworth
Holman
E. Brown
R. Williams

you can add Tim Kumrie and Dave Lapham (not just for his playing career either)

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 10:51 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This is the problem right here. You put bias into it. 

You're likely not to vote for him because of something he said 10 years after he retired or something he said about the organization when he was frustrated and when he played (and lets not act like they didn't deserve it). What does that have to do with what he did on the field? On the field he was one of the greatest offensive Bengals of all time and the organizations best running back of all time. 

He should 100% get in and it honestly should be next year.

Yep. 

I'm think i'm gonna contact the Bengals and suggest tweaking the process so that butthurt fans who vote and get injured by words can't keep someone out because they're a big, seeping crybaby. 

Reply/Quote
This thread is about congratulating Chad and Boomer; let's not derail it. There's another thread that talks about Corey.

Chad and Boomer are 2 of my all-time favs. There's really only one time in my life adult live I had a "second team" and that's when Boomer went to the Jets. I remember a lifetime ago going to Mile High and watching a showdown between him and Elway. Elway was the 2nd best QB om the field that day.

There are so many lasting memories of Chad, but one that stands out is when Ray Lewis blew him up with a cheap shot to the head. Chad jumped right back up and got in his face. Not to be confused with the time when Chad tried to block Ray Lewis in the endzone.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 11:27 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I was just think the same thing. There are a lot of players from 70's and 80's that are going to be forgotten, if they keep it at 2.

70's:
Cassanova
Parrish
Montoya
LeClair
Trumpy
Bass

80's:
Fulcher
Brooks
Woods
Collinsworth
Holman
E. Brown
R. Williams

Yep. 

I can see why they wouldn't want to do too many too quick and how they might think, 'in 5 years, 10 more will be in' but...5 years is a long time for guys that played in the '70s. 

It's hindsight but a 4, 4, 3, 2, 2------> might have been a better format. 

Reply/Quote
It will be interesting to see this play out over the coming decades. I know there's a long list of greats who deserve the honor, but think of how it'll be when the current generation hangs up the cleats. They'll never be able to catch up- and I personally think that's fine. I like the two per year set-up. Keep it really exclusive.

To be sure, it'll cause some guys to slip through the cracks- but so be it. That's life. They can be honored in some other way as a larger group. The last thing this franchise needs is resentment/hostility toward the process of recognizing their own legends. It would defeat the purpose. And to induct anyone on the basis of how much time they have left on earth would be especially morbid. Keep it light and don't take it too seriously is what I say. I appreciate the fact that they're doing it at all.
Reply/Quote
So far:

Paul Brown: Founder, Owner, Coach: 1968-1975 HC
Anthony Munoz: OT: HOF: 1980-1992
Ken Riley: CB: HOF: 1969-1983
Ken Anderson: QB: NFL MVP: 1971-1986
Willie Anderson: OT: 1996-2007
Isaac Curtis: WR: 1973-1984
Boomer Esisson: NFL MVP; 1984-1992
Chad Johnson: 2001-2010
----------------

Boomer & Chad are obviously deserving. In response to Dillon, I'd note that every single guy in played here for longer than Dillon did (7 seasons) and only 1 inductee (Chad) started his Bengal cateer AFTER CD did. Odd, if the whole issue was not knowing the old guys.
Reply/Quote
Love it, these are the two I wanted to get the honor.
Reply/Quote
Unless I'm reading it wrong, James Brooks stats are very comparable to Dillon's as a Bengal.

Dillon..7 years as Bengal
8061 rushing, 4.3 per
1482 receiving, 7.7 per
9543 total, 50 TDs total

Brooks...8 years as Bengal
6447 rushing, 4.8 per
3012 receiving, 10.1 per
9459 total, 64 TD's total
Reply/Quote
Both deserving, for sure.

It's going to start getting more debatable moving forward, I feel.

I feel like it's time to add a defensive guy again now that we've gotten Chad, Boomer, Kenny Anderson, Willie Anderson, Curtis, and Munoz.
Only defensive guy is Riley.

I'd probably vote Corey Dillon (franchise rushing leader) and Eddie Edwards (sack leader) next.
Krumrie might also deserve it since he has over 1000 career tackles with the Bengals. That's insane.
Breech will need to be up there within a few years too, as he's the career leader in points by a ton. Nearly 400 more than the next closest.
Parrish also I think will be soon, but I dunno if I'd go him over Edwards or Krumrie.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
FWIW,

All-Pro 1 as a Bengal:
9: Munoz
3: W. Anderson
2: C. Johnson, Atkins
1: Paul Robinson, Trumpy, Dave Lewis, Mike Reid, Casanova, K. Anderson, McInally, Breeden, Riley, Esiason, Krumrie, Fulcher, Ambrose, A Jones, Whitworth.

PB as Bengal:
11: Munoz
8: Atkins
7: Green
6: Parrish, C. Johnson
4: Trumpy, Curtis, K. Anderson, Brooks, W. Anderson
3: Casanova, Collingsworth, Esiason, Montoya, Fulcher, Holman, Dillon, Whitworth
2: P. Robinson, Reid, Bacon, Krumrie, Pickens, Palmer, Gresham, Dunlap, Chase, Hendrickson.
1: Bob Johsnon, Bill Bergey, Chip Myers, Jim LeClair, Pete Johnson, McInally, Dan Ross, Eddie Brown, Eric Thomas, Harold Green, Jeff Blake, Ashley Ambrose, Tremain Mack, L. Neal, Rudi Johnson, Tory James, Deltha O'Neal, S. Graham, T.J., Burfuct, Huber, A Jones, R. Nelson, C. Peerman, T. Eifert, C. Harris, Mixon, Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 12:18 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: So far:

Paul Brown: Founder, Owner, Coach: 1968-1975 HC
Anthony Munoz: OT: HOF:  1980-1992
Ken Riley: CB: HOF: 1969-1983
Ken Anderson: QB: NFL MVP: 1971-1986
Willie Anderson: OT: 1996-2007
Isaac Curtis: WR: 1973-1984
Boomer Esisson: NFL MVP; 1984-1992
Chad Johnson: 2001-2010
----------------

Boomer & Chad are obviously deserving. In response to Dillon, I'd note that every single guy in played here for longer than Dillon did (7 seasons) and only 1 inductee (Chad) started his Bengal cateer AFTER CD did. Odd, if the whole issue was not knowing the old guys.

Absolute excellence on that list. And just like you, I noticed all, until today, only one player would have been texting during his draft day. Don't blame young fans for this. 

Side note: If I was voting, those would have been my two selections. 

Plus, how could you no love Chad's response to this? People can argue about some of his antics, but the more of "a man" he became, the bigger Bengals supporter.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 11:16 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I like this idea.

The 2 going in this year are certainly deserving of the honor. 

I don't personally think we need to have the local/national media coverage weigh in, as this is strictly for the fans.

Having the season ticket holders and ROH members vote does make sense though.
Bengals could also post a yearly poll on Twitter or something if they wanted to take in other fan votes aside from ST holders.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 11:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If they kept it to only players who had amicable departures from the team hardly anyone would get it.

From a specific era, absolutely. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote