Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2023 Ring of Honor Inductees
(07-20-2023, 12:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't personally think we need to have the local/national media coverage weigh in, as this is strictly for the fans.

Having the season ticket holders and ROH members vote does make sense though.
Bengals could also post a yearly poll on Twitter or something if they wanted to take in other fan votes aside from ST holders.

If this is strictly just a fan thing, then it's a bit of a joke. Maybe not joke but certainly not nearly as legit.

National media, no. Local guys that have been around for a while, yes. Those that have been vote in, yes. I'm up to debate how much of a percentage each gets, but strictly fan voting, to me, lessens it some.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 01:56 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If this is strictly just a fan thing, then it's a bit of a joke. Maybe not joke but certainly not nearly as legit.

National media, no. Local guys that have been around for a while, yes. Those that have been vote in, yes. I'm up to debate how much of a percentage each gets, but strictly fan voting, to me, lessens it some.

To be fair, I'd probably care more about the fan vote than a local media member who's only been with the Bengals for a few years or less.
Someone like Lapham or Hoard though, or a media guy who grew up a Bengals fan like James Rapien or Lindsay Patterson would be fine though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 01:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: To be fair, I'd probably care more about the fan vote than a local media member who's only been with the Bengals for a few years or less.
Someone like Lapham or Hoard though, or a media guy who grew up a Bengals fan like James Rapien or Lindsay Patterson would be fine though.

Yep. You'd have to have some skins on the wall.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 01:56 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If this is strictly just a fan thing, then it's a bit of a joke. Maybe not joke but certainly not nearly as legit.

Season ticket holders have a bit more skin in the game and I have no issue with what has went in so not looking like a joke
Reply/Quote

The team chooses the nominees so its not like the voters can go out and just choose any Bobby Hart to be inducted.  They are choosing players they would be comfortable in welcoming to the Ring

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 11:45 AM)bfine32 Wrote: This thread is about congratulating Chad and Boomer; let's not derail it. There's another thread that talks about Corey.

Chad and Boomer are 2 of my all-time favs. There's really only one time in my life adult live I had a "second team" and that's when Boomer went to the Jets. I remember a lifetime ago going to Mile High and watching a showdown between him and Elway. Elway was the 2nd best QB om the field that day.

There are so many lasting memories of Chad, but one that stands out is when Ray Lewis blew him up with a cheap shot to the head. Chad jumped right back up and got in his face. Not to be confused with the time when Chad tried to block Ray Lewis in the endzone.

What, no love for the Cards? Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 02:14 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Season ticket holders have a bit more skin in the game and I have no issue with what has went in so not looking like a joke

They don't really have more skins. I agree with the way it's done, in that, the longer you've had tickets, the more votes you get. There just needs to be more variety in the way the process works. 

There should never be just one way this kind of process works. You figure out who is deserving to vote and then assign a percentage to each group. That's the fair, balanced way to do it. 

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 12:27 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Unless I'm reading it wrong, James Brooks stats are very comparable to Dillon's as a Bengal.

Dillon..7 years as Bengal
8061 rushing, 4.3 per
1482 receiving, 7.7 per
9543 total, 50 TDs total

Brooks...8 years as Bengal
6447 rushing, 4.8 per
3012 receiving,  10.1 per
9459 total, 64 TD's total

JB was a dual threat back before being a dual threat back was the rage. He certainly deserves his place in that ring. Plus, he shared carries with some pretty good fullbacks.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
For me, Geno is the next most deserving, but is not eligible yet. He'd be at the top of my list.

Of the eligibles, Parrish is tops for me. I'd have voted for him this time. If Geno is not eligible, it gets trickier. I'd take Brooks over Dillon (more total yards, more TDs, better YPC, also a better team around him). But I think I'd lean Green, Trumpy, or Krumrie for the last spot.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 02:27 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They don't really have more skins. I agree with the way it's done, in that, the longer you've had tickets, the more votes you get. There just needs to be more variety in the way the process works. 

There should never be just one way this kind of process works. You figure out who is deserving to vote and then assign a percentage to each group. That's the fair, balanced way to do it. 

Well that is your opinion which is all good  but I can't complain on how it is  going right now and glad it is just 2 a year.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 02:21 PM)pally Wrote: The team chooses the nominees so its not like the voters can go out and just choose any Bobby Hart to be inducted.  They are choosing players they would be comfortable in welcoming to the Ring

I know it's been busy around the shop here, but i was sure i replied to this. 

Am i losing my mind? Now i only vaguely remember what the reply was. 

Is it friday yet...and where the hell are my pants!!?   Tongue

But honestly, i thought i had replied to this. 

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 02:46 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: For me, Geno is the next most deserving, but is not eligible yet. He'd be at the top of my list.

Of the eligibles, Parrish is tops for me. I'd have voted for him this time. If Geno is not eligible, it gets trickier. I'd take Brooks over Dillon (more total yards, more TDs, better YPC, also a better team around him). But I think I'd lean Green, Trumpy, or Krumrie for the last spot.

Not me, Dillon all day over Brooks. Brooks was great, don't get me wrong, but you put CD on the team JB had and his numbers would be off the chart. 
Sadly, it would have been cool to see Ickey's number had the knees not gave out after a couple of years.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 02:46 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: For me, Geno is the next most deserving, but is not eligible yet. He'd be at the top of my list.

Williams or  Trumpy  and Krumrie will be my vote next year
Reply/Quote

The Bengals determine who is nominated and they take into account two previous honors that included media input.  Those where the "Bengals First 50" list of fifty best players, and the "All 50th Team" announced on the teams's 50th anniversary.

https://www.bengals.com/photos/bengals-first-50-19329310
https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-announce-all-50th-team-19044384

These are the top 50 and top 26 Bengal players of all time respectively.  The only player nominated this year who was not on the All 50th team was James Brooks who was among the top 50. Nobody on this list is unworthy.  We're just quibbling over whether they're going in the right order.

But the Bengals are managing this.  The list of nominees has been the same each year, just reduced by the last year's winners.  After next year they'll be at 10 and I would guess that they'll start adding new nominees to keep it at 10.
Reply/Quote
Can't argue with these choices.

Next year will be a tough one. The obvious choices are beginning to evaporate. I will vote Krumrie until he gets in. I suppose Parrish might be my next choice.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 10:33 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: It is season ticket holders, i understood it might be nice to have a mix in voting but as you mentioned some fans have little knowledge of past players, i think season ticket holders in general might have a better knowledge of the history. As for Dillion he will not be on my next couple ballots , talk about dumb, why vote for angry ex bengal who still does not appreciate the organization or fans,... 

Appreciate the organization? He was here at it's worst & they were'nt trying to win, just buy back stock to get full ownership. Where's your hate for Mike for that? Dillion is my favorite Bengal because of that (at least until Burrow). Palmer leaving made Mike change how he did business & I applaud Carson for doing it. The only former bengal I hate is Kimo for obvious reasons. Dillion feels he wasted his career here & I understand it. He's just vocal about it. You know everyone who played then has a problem with Mike.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 12:27 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Unless I'm reading it wrong, James Brooks stats are very comparable to Dillon's as a Bengal.

Dillon..7 years as Bengal
8061 rushing, 4.3 per
1482 receiving, 7.7 per
9543 total, 50 TDs total

Brooks...8 years as Bengal
6447 rushing, 4.8 per
3012 receiving,  10.1 per
9459 total, 64 TD's total

You just compared James Brooks who had a top 5 five offensive line every year he was a Bengal to Corey Dillin who had Willie.Clapping
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2023, 12:29 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: You just compared James Brooks who had a top 5 five offensive line every year he was a Bengal to Corey Dillin who had Willie.Clapping

Boomer played with the same offensive line as Brooks, right? Why are you holding that against Brooks though?
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2023, 12:21 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: Appreciate the organization? He was here at it's worst & they were'nt trying to win, just buy back stock to get full ownership. Where's your hate for Mike for that? Dillion is my favorite Bengal because of that (at least until Burrow). Palmer leaving made Mike change how he did business & I applaud Carson for doing it. The only former bengal I hate is Kimo for obvious reasons. Dillion feels he wasted his career here & I understand it. He's just vocal about it. You know everyone who played then has a problem with Mike.

(07-21-2023, 12:29 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: You just compared James Brooks who had a top 5 five offensive line every year he was a Bengal to Corey Dillin who had Willie.Clapping

You spelled it wrong, then you spelled it wronger. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 10:51 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This is the problem right here. You put bias into it. 

You're likely not to vote for him because of something he said 10 years after he retired or something he said about the organization when he was frustrated and when he played (and lets not act like they didn't deserve it). What does that have to do with what he did on the field? On the field he was one of the greatest offensive Bengals of all time and the organizations best running back of all time. 

He should 100% get in and it honestly should be next year.

I wonder if he voted Chad in and conveniently forgot about what he did in 2008 and the things he said when he went to NE in 2011?

I hate typing that here in this thread but the truth is the truth and bias is bias.

WTS, Chad is very deserving of the honor. It's almost like people can't say things out of frustration...

Reply/Quote