Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 TE Draft Prospects Group Assessment
Isaac Curtis The Real #85 Should start the first response to this thread. He will start each thread of all group assessments for 2023 draft prospects. He will post numbers, caps, players very helpful information. After Isaac post his numbers, then and only then can any board member list there prospect and synopsis of a players strengths, weaknesses, and why you feel he would fit this Bengal team.

I think it would help to project round, player they would replace, strengths and weakness.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Position Group #4: Tight Ends.

I. 2022 Rostee Status
Currently on 53 = 3.
Currently on IR = 1.
Practice Squad = 2.
----------
Starter: Hurst
Rostered Reserves: Wilcox, Asiasi
IR: D. Sample
Practice Squad: Bowers, Hudson
----------------

II. 2023 Roster Status

A. Signed = 1. Cap Hit; Dead Cap; FA Year/Type
1. D. Asiasi (Reserve): $1,138,000; $0; 2024 UFA

B. Unsigned = 3. 2022 Cap Hit; FA Type
1. H. Hurst (Starter): $3,476,466; UFA
2. D. Sample (TE2, IR): $1,245,858, UFA
3. M. Wilcox (TE3): $825,000, ERFA
-------------
4. N. Bowers (PS), UFA
5. T. Hudson (PS), UFA
Reply/Quote
In terms of returning players under contract, TE us our thinnest spot. Only Asiasi is inked. We carried 3 at the start of the year and at the end.

It should be easy to retain Wilcox if we want, as a ERFA. But he, like Asiasi, is no better than TE3. No real receiving threat, thiugh a decent blocker/ST guy. Ditto Sample.

Retaining Hurst on a reasonable deal should be a priority. If he gets away, we are gonna need 2. If he stays, only 1.

I believe we like bigger, 2 way TEs whi can play in-line, so I do not think Kincaid is our kind of guy. Mayer is TE1 worthy. Washington, Kraft, Musgrave, LaPorta all seem like TE2s. I would soend a Rd1 pick on a TE2, but YMMV on all counts.
Reply/Quote
My favorite Tight End Prospect for the Bengals (if Hurst and Wilcox are resigned) is Tucker Kraft. He is one of those rare Tight Ends that become a running back with the ball in his hands. He has a good feel for angles and his stocking frame and contact balance make him a tough tackle in space. As I mentioned Kraft has a solid stocking frame at 6'5 255 so he can survive inline as well as the longstride and explosion off the line to really threaten teams up the seam. He is an FCS guy so theres alot work fundamentally he needs to be more contained as a blocker both run and pass and needs to learn how to run routes. This is a solid TE class and because Kraft is more of a project he is going to likely slip until late day 2 early 3 but he could definitely develop into a future weapon for the Offense.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 06:35 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: In terms of returning players under contract, TE us our thinnest spot.  Only Asiasi is inked. We carried 3 at the start of the year and at the end.

It should be easy to retain Wilcox if we want, as a ERFA.  But he, like Asiasi, is no better than TE3. No real receiving threat, thiugh a decent blocker/ST guy. Ditto Sample.

Retaining Hurst on a reasonable deal should be a priority.  If he gets away, we are gonna need 2.  If he stays, only 1.

I believe we like bigger, 2 way TEs whi can play in-line, so I do not think Kincaid is our kind of guy. Mayer is TE1 worthy. Washington, Kraft, Musgrave, LaPorta all seem like TE2s. I would soend a Rd1 pick on a TE2, but YMMV on all counts.

I am reading this is the best TE group in a long time. Thinking out of the box, years ago the Pats drafted 2 TE's in same year named Gronk and Hernandez. I know we have other needs, but if Joe could get not 1 but 2 great TE's, he could be unstoppable. I am talking 2 TE's that are complete, can block and stretch the field.

I like what I saw from Carman at LT. Maybe move Jonah to RT if Collins is not ready and then have Jonah swing as a backup when Collins returns.

This would allow us to sign our own free agents. I know many disagree with me, but Higgins needs to be extended over keeping Boyd. We cut Boyd and we save almost 9 million in cap space.

I think we can find a WR in round 3 or 4 to compete with Irvin and others for Boyd's spot.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The more I learn about Darnell Washington, the more I think that he is the perfect TE prospect for the Bengals. At 6'7" #265, Washington will be like having an extra OL, on in-line formations. The size and power to be a true contributor in Pass Pro, as well as downfield blocking, and the ability to deliver a punishing blow to smaller defenders when catching the ball in the middle of the field. His huge body being able to effectively "box out" defenders along the sidelines should be an easy money target in not only the red zone, but in any need to move the chains situation.

His only problem was competing for playing time with a phenomenon like Brock Bowers on the same offense. Even having to play second fiddle to the ultra dynamic Bowers, Washington still managed to reel in 28 passes for 454 yards this year, as well as earn a reputation as a punishing blocker. Washington would have been a dominating starter on most Power 5 conference teams.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 04:28 AM)psychdoctor Wrote:

(02-01-2023, 12:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The more I learn about Darnell Washington, the more I think that he is the perfect TE prospect for the Bengals.  At 6'7" #265, Washington will be like having an extra OL, on in-line formations.  The size and power to be a true contributor in Pass Pro, as well as downfield blocking, and the ability to deliver a punishing blow to smaller defenders when catching the ball in the middle of the field.  His huge body being able to effectively "box out" defenders along the sidelines should be an easy money target in not only the red zone, but in any need to move the chains situation.

His only problem was competing for playing time with a phenomenon like Brock Bowers on the same offense.  Even having to play second fiddle to the ultra dynamic Bowers, Washington still managed to reel in 28 passes for 454 yards this year, as well as earn a reputation as a punishing blocker.  Washington would have been a dominating starter on most Power 5 conference teams.

Musgrave is too big of a question mark.  Unsure of his blocking skills and he only played 2 games this season?

Washington is more of our style as he is a very good blocker with strong hands.  If we re-sign Hurst I'm not sure we are willing to draft him in the 1st or 2nd round...?

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 04:28 AM)psychdoctor Wrote:

Yea after watching Musgrave these two days at the Senior Bowl Practices you can see why he was getting alot of hype going into the week. He has been open every route in team drills lol. Today in redzone offense that's gonna be fun to watch with Musgrave.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
If we go TE later, I'm starting to get fascinated with Payne Durham from Purdue.

Edit, reversed his name on accident.
Reply/Quote
I really like Darnell Washington. He is a throw back Tight End entering the league at the perfect moment because defenses are playing alot more cover 2 shells to stop all these star receivers teams are running the ball more.

Does he fit the Bengals though? In Cincinnati he will likely see a lot more of his reps running routes than blocking and that takes away from what he does best.

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 07:14 AM)Synric Wrote: I really like Darnell Washington. He is a throw back Tight End entering the league at the perfect moment because defenses are playing alot more cover 2 shells to stop all these star receivers teams are running the ball more.

Does he fit the Bengals though? In Cincinnati he will likely see a lot more of his reps running routes than blocking and that takes away from what he does best.

Considering how his best trait is his blocking and you'd have to unlock his receiving potential (which didn't happen at Georgia due to Bowers talents), I don't see how you could justify that at 1. 

Thats why I suggested Durham. Solid blocker, seems to have good hands, runs decent routes and willing to carry a team (literally, watch him carry 6 Maryland defenders for a touchdown). In his interview at the Senior Bowl, sounded like a Bengal (I don't care what I have to do as long as the team wins). And best of all, he's a lower pick so you can replenish more important areas first with higher level talents.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 11:50 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: Considering how his best trait is his blocking and you'd have to unlock his receiving potential (which didn't happen at Georgia due to Bowers talents), I don't see how you could justify that at 1. 

Thats why I suggested Durham. Solid blocker, seems to have good hands, runs decent routes and willing to carry a team (literally, watch him carry 6 Maryland defenders for a touchdown). In his interview at the Senior Bowl, sounded like a Bengal (I don't care what I have to do as long as the team wins). And best of all, he's a lower pick so you can replenish more important areas first with higher level talents.

Durham is a real option early day 3 especially if they resign Hayden Hurst. If Hurst gets what PFF is suggesting then they need a receiving TE early. 3 year 28.5mil lol.

Reply/Quote
Great TE class! That said, I think both Hurst and Wilcox are back. Probably draft a TE at some point just not sure it's early.
Reply/Quote
Not getting why Bengals fans are hell-bent on drafting a TE..... just roll with Hurst for another season or two and upgrade elsewhere.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 12:54 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Great TE class! That said, I think both Hurst and Wilcox are back. Probably draft a TE at some point just not sure it's early.

(02-04-2023, 03:08 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Not getting why Bengals fans are hell-bent on drafting a TE..... just roll with Hurst for another season or two and upgrade elsewhere.

PFF quoted Hayden Hurst's Contract at 3 years 28.5m (9.5m per year average). I'd like to have Hurst back but not close to that price. 

Also its about discussing prospects and the Bengals TE room needs guys. Hurst if resigned will turn 30 during the season next year. The TE room is hurting for talent... So is the RB room.

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 03:12 PM)Synric Wrote: PFF quoted Hayden Hurst's Contract at 3 years 28.5m (9.5m per year average). I'd like to have Hurst back but not close to that price. 

That is insane... 

6.8 per Spotract though... https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/hayden-hurst-25120/market-value/
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 03:12 PM)Synric Wrote: PFF quoted Hayden Hurst's Contract at 3 years 28.5m (9.5m per year average). I'd like to have Hurst back but not close to that price. 

Also its about discussing prospects and the Bengals TE room needs guys. Hurst if resigned will turn 30 during the season next year. The TE room is hurting for talent... So is the RB room.

I agree with you. That said, both Wilcox and Hurst are eligible for this discussion. They are TE's. They are/were on the roster and could be again. There is also another guy named Drew Sample. Don't try to chastise me by being petty about the discussion. 

I can list 6 different TE's in this draft that can help the Bengals. Some have already been pimped. The drafts a good way off. I'm sure we will all have further discussions on many different possible draft choices. I don't like Hurst's salary either, I'm just going from my gut. I think JB likes both Wilcox and Hurst. 

That said, this is a great draft to upgrade TE and RB.
Reply/Quote
I think it would be nice to restock the TE depth with rookie contract salaries and lock guys in for 4 years. Uzomah got 3 year 24 million deal I don't have hopes of being able to keep Hurst around. But as someone pointed out he will be turning 30 and he has already made millions of dollars. And he said he liked it here more than anywhere else he had been. So maybe he wants to keep winning games and making plays and sticks around for a team friendly amount.

I think Sample will come back on a cheap prove it deal hopefully he fully recovers. Wilcox will be back as an ERFA. Add a couple draft picks to veterans Sample, Wilcox, and Asiasi and it would be a good competition for the 53 man roster spots.
Reply/Quote
Whoever the Bengals may consider at TE, that player will have to have exhibited blocking ability.
Bengals offense calls on their TEs to block quite a bit.
Because of that, I like Mayer or Washington on Day 1, Laporta on Day 2, possibly Schoonmaker early Day 3 (Rd 4-5).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote