Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024 Bengals Free Agency/Roster Thread
(03-11-2024, 01:09 AM)pulses Wrote: Don't think we'll be players for him then. Maybe his former teammate Kinlaw tho??

Honestly, I do not understand why so many on here think we are only gonna be shopping at K-Mart in FA. I mean, I get the whole "plug all the holes before the draft" thing. But if we go that route, most of the plugs are gonna be mediocre.

We have $45 mil in practical space. Over $50 actual.The only significant salary we have in FA are Higgins (already tagged), Reader (FA), Jonah (let him walk, draft RT at #18), Boyd (let walk, strong WR dtaft, maybe back on cheap), and Chido (strong CB draft). 

More than enough to pay Reader, pay another high end FA DT, and still do some bargain shopping at S/TE/P. 

If we sign Tee long term, we could clear another $5-$10 in cap. Plus if we restructure or do some cuts (Scott, Carman, and Mixon), that is another $10 mil. 

We can swim in the deep end if we want to. Stop believing what Hobson writes.
Reply/Quote
Armstead's gonna be 31 this year. As a guy who has spent time as an edge in a 3-4 I think he should go to AZ, but he would be a great pass rushing rotational addition who isn't a liability against the run.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 02:04 AM)puddycat Wrote: Armstead's gonna be 31 this year.  As a guy who has spent time as an edge in a 3-4 I think he should go to AZ, but he would be a great pass rushing rotational addition who isn't a liability against the run.

Agreed. He is like 6'7", 290. That is big, but he isn't a low center of gravity guy. Williams & Wilkins are better against the run.

FWIW,

Player, Contract, APY, 2024 Cap hit 
1. C. Jones, 5/$158.75 mil, $31.75, $7.35
2. Madubuike, 4/$96 mil, $24, $12.25 
3. J. Johnson, 4/$76, $19, $13 

I know we cannot do everyone like this, but a couple we surely can. Wilkins, Higgins, Reader. A Burrow restructure save a lot more next year. 

Hendrickson is 30. Reader will be once games count. We just had to tag Tee. The non-Burrow/Chase window is closing. Time to push the chips in. 

A Becton, Fant, CEH FA period is not gonna get it done.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 01:51 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Honestly, I do not understand why so many on here think we are only gonna be shopping at K-Mart in FA. I mean, I get the whole "plug all the holes before the draft" thing. But if we go that route, most of the plugs are gonna be mediocre.

We have $45 mil in practical space. Over $50 actual.The only significant salary we have in FA are Higgins (already tagged), Reader (FA), Jonah (let him walk, draft RT at #18), Boyd (let walk, strong WR dtaft, maybe back on cheap), and Chido (strong CB draft). 

More than enough to pay Reader, pay another high end FA DT, and still do some bargain shopping at S/TE/P. 

If we sign Tee long term, we could clear another $5-$10 in cap. Plus if we restructure or do some cuts (Scott, Carman, and Mixon), that is another $10 mil. 

Didn't even read what Hobson wrote I make up my own mind on what I think they'll do.
Reply/Quote
Another free agent safety off the board before the start of the legal tampering period. Two-time, first-team All-Pro Safety Kevin Byard signs with the Bears (had been released by the Eagles).
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 01:51 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Honestly, I do not understand why so many on here think we are only gonna be shopping at K-Mart in FA. I mean, I get the whole "plug all the holes before the draft" thing. But if we go that route, most of the plugs are gonna be mediocre.

Zac's coaching tenure also clearly shows the Bengals spend in free agency. OBJ, Hurst, Cappa, Karras, Trae, etc.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 12:15 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I would not prioritize WR in FA. It is a deep draft. Rd 2 or Rd 3 easy. Plus  Jones and Iosivas are already here. 

But if a great value is staring us in the face, maybe. Or if ee have $$ left over or whiff on DTs. 

People always say this, but WR's are hit or miss Year 1 in the draft.

The Chiefs (despite winning SB) relied on young WR's and had a crazy amount of drops.

We need at min Chase and Tee. IF Tee is gone, we need a 2nd WR that's a veteran.
Reply/Quote
OG market just got expensive with the Eagles extension of Landon Dickerson making him the highest paid guard in the NFL

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 09:56 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: People always say this, but WR's are hit or miss Year 1 in the draft.

The Chiefs (despite winning SB) relied on young WR's and had a crazy amount of drops.

We need at min Chase and Tee. IF Tee is gone, we need a 2nd WR that's a veteran.

If Higgins is gone, then my thinking changes dramatically. Yep, we need a vet. 
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
With the cap skyrocketing, everyone is gonna get paid. The Bengals need to adjust their thinking on contracts or be left in the dust for a decade.
Reply/Quote
Dion Dawkins possibly getting cut by the Bills.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Joe Mixon now makes more than Deandre Swift.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
If we cheap out & let Reader go and trade Tee for peanuts, that is an epic failure.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 01:18 PM)Synric Wrote: Dion Dawkins possibly getting cut by the Bills.

Nevermind. Lol
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 01:20 PM)pally Wrote:

That does not make much sense to me. He is a starter. He'd be CB1 here. Don't get me wrong, excellent player. He is also the top CB FA. 
Reply/Quote
C Mitch Morse signed by Jacksonville. 2 years, $10.5 mil.

Solid business by the Jags.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 01:26 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: That does not make much sense to me. He is a starter. He'd be CB1 here. Don't get me wrong, excellent player. He is also the top CB FA. 

It's surprising interest, but they would have a tremendous CB group and even though CTB starts, he could defend quality TEs.  
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 01:33 PM)phil413 Wrote: It's surprising interest, but they would have a tremendous CB group and even though CTB starts, he could defend quality TEs.  

Let's play out the scenario of someone like Kendall Fuller and he starts opposite CTB.
Where does that leave DJ Turner?
CB4?

If so, you gotta wonder about these "stud" DBs that came out of Michigan if Hill also potentially gets demoted, as Hilton is gonna continue to start at nickel unless he were to get let go.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote