Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024 Bengals Free Agency/Roster Thread
(03-09-2024, 02:45 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I'm not good with that.  I've never been high on Jeudy, however he is talented enough that he can be an excellent compliment.  On a team that has a legit run game, #1, and defense like Cleveland; he can do some damage to the opposition.

I think the compensation was a little less because he only has 1 year/$13m left on his contract.

I'm also curious to see how he does with a #1 WR and a TE ahead of him so his expectations are much lower.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
That was a solid move by the Browns
Andrew Berry gave up peanuts to get a WR
Under the age 25 who can really shine with
A proven QB. How many QBs and idiotic coaching
Staffs did Jeudy have to endure ?
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 03:59 PM)impactplaya Wrote: That was a solid move by the Browns
Andrew Berry gave up peanuts to get a WR
Under the age 25 who can really shine with
A proven QB. How many QBs and idiotic coaching
Staffs did Jeudy have to endure ?

Agree 100%. 

Maybe we can feast on Denver's carcass too and land Simmons if the price is right. 
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 04:10 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Agree 100%. 

Maybe we can feast on Denver's carcass too and land Simmons if the price is right. 

Interesting no one has picked him yet, since he was a cut..
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 04:12 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Interesting no one has picked him yet, since he was a cut..

I think the saturation of the market at S will make early signings rare. Teams will figure there are a lot of good ones, so if one guys signs elswhere, just shift tonthe next one. The players will not want to settle for peanuts right out of the gate. 

The top 1-2 or the guys looking for fit over bag could go quickly, but I think the remainder don't go quickly.
Reply/Quote
The Raiders are releasing DT Jerry Tillery at the start of the league year. He's a 27 year old who played in all 17 games, 6 as a starter last season. In 79 career games, he has 12.5 sacks, 14 tackles for loss, and 41 QB hits.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I was on Pats Pulpit and the scuttlebut over there is Onwenu prefers to play guard.

Apparently the fans wanted him at RT earlier but the team resisted for a bit. And they postulate the agent maybe wanted to market him as an OT to generate more $$$, which caused the split.

I have no idea if they are right or not. If they are, I think he is off the table as a RT solution/opening the draft up guy.

I'd certainly call to find out, though.
Reply/Quote
Jones back to KC. 5 year deal. $95 mil guaranteed. APY is over $30 mil.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2024, 02:09 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Jones back to KC. 5 year deal. $95 mil guaranteed.  APY is over $30 mil.

Yes, the Chris Jones dream is over. Haven't seen the details, other than 95 million guaranteed first three years and will  have highest annual salary for a DT, surpassing Nick Bosa's 34 million/year.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2024, 03:40 AM)Nepa Wrote: Yes, the Chris Jones dream is over. Haven't seen the details, other than 95 million guaranteed first three years and will  have highest annual salary for a DT, surpassing Nick Bosa's 34 million/year.

I don't think we were ever going to play in that ballpark anyway.  That's massive money and there are too many other holes to fill at the moment.  On top of that, he's aged out of the Bengals wheelhouse when it comes to signing outside guys.  

The positive thing is that it gashes KC for a big contract, and not one that makes them better.  This one just lets them hold serve on defense.  Going to have to pay those OL soon, too.  
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2024, 10:15 AM)samhain Wrote: I don't think we were ever going to play in that ballpark anyway.  That's massive money and there are too many other holes to fill at the moment.  On top of that, he's aged out of the Bengals wheelhouse when it comes to signing outside guys.  

The positive thing is that it gashes KC for a big contract, and not one that makes them better.  This one just lets them hold serve on defense.  Going to have to pay those OL soon, too.  

Sneed almost has to be traded now. As in, immediately. They are like $20 mil over, or more.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2024, 10:15 AM)samhain Wrote: I don't think we were ever going to play in that ballpark anyway.  That's massive money and there are too many other holes to fill at the moment.  On top of that, he's aged out of the Bengals wheelhouse when it comes to signing outside guys.  

I'm surprised KC did such an expensive deal. I never thought they would go over 30 million a year with a player who will be 30 years old this season. And for 5 years. And for 95 million guaranteed for the first three years. I guess the increase in the salary cap opened up their pocketbook.
Reply/Quote
I guess KC will wait until after FA opens to turn the Jones deal in, that way they are still under that cap, officially.
Reply/Quote
NFL.coms top 101 after Jones signing:

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-101-nfl-free-agents-of-2024-who-are-the-best-players-available

Top 10: Cousins, Wilkins, Hunter, T. Smith, Barkley, Greenard, Ridley, Onwenu, L. Williams, Gardner-Johnson.

Bengals: Reader (43rd), Jonah (45th), Chido (48th), Boyd (80th).

DTs: Wilkins (2), L. Williams (9), Stewart (40), Reader (43), Autry (49), Tart (87), Rankins (97).
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2024, 03:10 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: NFL.coms top 101 after Jones signing:

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-101-nfl-free-agents-of-2024-who-are-the-best-players-available

Top 10: Cousins, Wilkins, Hunter, T. Smith, Barkley, Greenard, Ridley, Onwenu, L. Williams, Gardner-Johnson.

Bengals: Reader (43rd), Jonah (45th), Chido (48th), Boyd (80th).

DTs: Wilkins (2), L. Williams (9), Stewart (40), Reader (43), Autry (49), Tart (87), Rankins (97).

I didn't see Tyran Smith play last year, but maybe we could pick him up to be that bridge for a drafted rookie. He's like 33 now isn't he?
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2024, 03:43 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I didn't see Tyran Smith play last year, but maybe we could pick him up to be that bridge for a drafted rookie. He's like 33 now isn't he?

He made the pro-bowl,,maybe 2ndxteam all-pro. He is gonna want $15 mil and has not played RT in a long time. 

I'd certainly make the call. But if I am gonna play in the $15 mil+ ballpark, I am gonna go Reader, Wilkins, L. Williams, and Onwenu first.

But opening up #18 is appealing to me. But I also think we may not get a better look at a RT prospect in the Burrow era: Latham, Fuaga, Mims, Guyton. Just pick one..
Reply/Quote
FWIW:

Player, Tag $, Contract, 2024 Cap
1. J. Johnson, CB; $19.8, 4 yr/$76; $13.4 mil.
2. Madubuike, DT, $22.1, 4 yr/$98; $12.5 mil.

I certainly don't think the Bengals will follow suit with Higgins (or another FA), but we SHOULD.

1. Offer Wilkins Madubuike's deal + $1 mil. $13.5 mil this year vs the cap. We have over $30 mil left vs the cap.

2. Sign Reader. Go 3 years, guaranteed the first two. Get a lower cap figure this year. Say, $11 mil. $19 mil in cap left.

3. Get a Higgins deal done. Reduce that cap hit from $21.8 to $14.8. +$7 mil on cap.

We have $26 mil to play with. Without cutting Mixon or Scott. Or doing a restructure.

Use that for the best value you can find on a vet S, CB4, and some TE insurance, and Townsend. Or a quality OL pickup.

Take OT at #18. WR at #49. TE/CB at #80.
Reply/Quote
Byard to Bears. 2 years. $15 mil.

A tad pricier than I'd have wanted for him. But if you assume we cut Scott, the hit would be $5.5 mil or less.
Reply/Quote
But if I am gonna pay up for a S, it would be Simmons. Lots of experience vs the Chiefs.
Reply/Quote
The safety market continues to look depressed. I think there are going to be some good deals to be had.
Reply/Quote