Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
2024 Bengals Free Agents
(08-17-2022, 02:34 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Geno was generational, he had just come off 2 10 sack seasons was best nose guard outside of Donald and 100% healthy. That shoulder injury derailed him still possible HOF.

Loved Geno but he will not sniff the HoF.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 01:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Loved Geno but he will not sniff the HoF.

Yep unless an IDL is close to Warren Sapp numbers, they ain't getting in.
Atkins has about 20 less sacks than Sapp.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 12:36 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Aren't they already in MLB with couple of games?  I'm guessing if it makes sense from a financial standpoint, they would jump all over the NFL.
Yeah apparently they have a Friday night baseball plan. Plus they just got the MLS package! They desperately want in on sports.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 04:12 PM)J24 Wrote: Yeah apparently they have a Friday night baseball plan. Plus they just got the MLS package! They desperately want in on sports.

Interesting.
I'm surprised I hadn't heard about Apple's involvement more with sports.
I follow a few MLS teams (Nashville SC, FC Cincinnati, Portland Timbers) and quite a few MLB things on Twitter.
Somehow I must have flat out missed it.

Appreciate y'all proving me wrong!  Smirk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2022, 10:34 PM)samhain Wrote: I hate to say it, but I think Tee is a goner.  No way someone doesn't pay him to be WR1.  If Chase's rookie year is any indication, he's got all time great potential.  You can't pay two guys like that plus Burrow and field a complete roster.  

I don't think Mixon is long for Cincy, either.  

The team has shown it can build, but it will now have to show it can re-stock the cupboard.  I see them getting another WR or RB early next year to minimize the drop-off.  

On a positive note, I think they can actually do it.  They might suck at drafting OL, but they've been great at finding potent skill players.  That's not something that should be taken for granted.  

If they become a perennial winner with a true top 5 franchise qb, they will have to do what teams like that do and use the stud qb to steady the roster in times of major turnoff.

It is the way that you win in this league.  Stacked rosters are great to have, but they are tough to maintain when paying a great qb.  Truth is, though, without the bona fide franchise qb, you aren't going far anyway.  There's nothing more important, and you have to prioritize it over all other aspects of the roster.

Great post, will be sad if we lose Tee but it might have to happen with the way most of us expect him to blow up this year.

I also agree with Nicomo that in a way this is a nice problem to have. Man, the coaches and FO built a fantastic roster.

They can do it again if needed, at least I have confidence after how much our team improved in a year and going to the SB.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 06:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great post, will be sad if we lose Tee but it might have to happen with the way most of us expect him to blow up this year.

I also agree with Nicomo that in a way this is a nice problem to have. Man, the coaches and FO built a fantastic roster.

They can do it again if needed, at least I have confidence after how much our team improved in a year and going to the SB.

Trading Tee this offseason might actually make a lot of sense.  As shitty as that might seem to consider. 
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 06:55 PM)ATOTR Wrote: Trading Tee this offseason might actually make a lot of sense.  As shitty as that might seem to consider. 

I’d be surprised if they don’t start having the discussions. I just don’t think it’s realistic having him, Chase and Burrow all locked up. And in that scenario the odd man out is unfortunately Tee.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 08:19 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: I’d be surprised if they don’t start having the discussions. I just don’t think it’s realistic having him, Chase and Burrow all locked up. And in that scenario the odd man out is unfortunately Tee.

I wouldn’t trade in division.

But in confrence the patriots would Give us a first rounder, for sure. And maybe more. I’m fact , you’d need
More to trade him.

The cardinals. Giants. Jags and saints would also
Be good trade companions. Imo
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 06:55 PM)ATOTR Wrote: Trading Tee this offseason might actually make a lot of sense.  As shitty as that might seem to consider. 

It wouldn’t make sense at all. We aren’t some rebuilding team worrying about stockpiling draft picks for the future. We have a clear Super Bowl window while Burrow, Tee, and Chase are all on their rookie contracts. We need to be going all in for the next couple years. Not trading away core pieces.

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 08:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It wouldn’t make sense at all. We aren’t some rebuilding team worrying about stockpiling draft picks for the future. We have a clear Super Bowl window while Burrow, Tee, and Chase are all on their rookie contracts. We need to be going all in for the next couple years. Not trading away core pieces.

Oh no. It would in the right deal or with the right plan.

See the packers and chiefs w Adam’s and hill, for example.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 09:00 PM)ATOTR Wrote: Oh no. It would in the right deal or with the right plan.

Again, the point is - trading Tee greatly diminishes our chance at winning a Super Bowl.

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 09:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Again, the point is - trading Tee greatly diminishes our chance at winning a Super Bowl.

Not if his agent plays the hold-out until you give my client a new deal card this off-season since he's going into his last year, then he's getting moved at the draft like Hollywood Brown and AJ Brown.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 09:35 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: Not if his agent plays the hold-out until you give my client a new deal card this off-season since he's going into his last year, then he's getting moved at the draft like Hollywood Brown and AJ Brown.

Tee Higgins is still under contract for 2023 so he will be subject to fines for holding out and if he is designated healthy and doesn't play he won't accrue a season for him to be a free agent at the end of the year.

For players under contract holding out is a thing of the past if a team digs in their heels. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 09:00 PM)ATOTR Wrote: Oh no. It would in the right deal or with the right plan.

No this is actually a reality they'll have to deal with.  I love Tee and the amazing upside of Burrow/Chase/Tee long term. Let's admit though that it will take 23-25M/yr and dealing him would return a slew of picks vs how messy franchising him (and not having it to use) could get.

A lot has to do with how quick they get Burrow's pay scale set and how well the young defenders improve.  They may have to overpay guys like Hendrickson or Reader for continuity.  Optimistically, you hope more guys like Jonah and Wilson get settled this offseason and the older guys take team friendly deals.  Realistically though, they'll lose some guys and players won't develop and we will need Tee's trade return and money spread over multiple positions.  I hope I'm wrong, I'd love to see these guys together and dominate.  
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 09:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Again, the point is - trading Tee greatly diminishes our chance at winning a Super Bowl.

Yeah. No shit, he’s good.

But sometimes decisions have to be made for the now and the future. If they could get picks to attempt to replace him, better the team. And lock
Up other players big (burrow and chase). It would be worth considering

You’re getting all emotional over a hypothetical idea.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 09:46 PM)ATOTR Wrote: Yeah. No shit, he’s good.

But sometimes decisions have to be made for the now and the future. If they could get picks to attempt to replace him, better the team. And lock

Not getting emotional at all. I just vehemently disagree with trading Tee while we’re trying to win a Super Bowl over the next couple years. This is not the time to be worrying about draft picks or the future. It’s the time to go all in like the Rams just did last year.

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 09:35 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: Not if his agent plays the hold-out until you give my client a new deal card this off-season since he's going into his last year, then he's getting moved at the draft like Hollywood Brown and AJ Brown.

Let’s cross that hypothetical - doom and gloom - worst case scenario if we get to it.

I personally don’t see Tee doing that. Regardless who his agent is. We might not be able to re-sign him if he wants to go be a #1 somewhere, but a hold out going into the final year of his deal? Nah.

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 09:46 PM)ATOTR Wrote: Yeah.  No shit, he’s good.

But sometimes decisions have to be made for the now and the future.   If they could get picks to attempt to replace him, better the team. And lock

(08-18-2022, 09:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not getting emotional at all. I just vehemently disagree with trading Tee while we’re trying to win a Super Bowl over the next couple years. This is not the time to be worrying about draft picks or the future. It’s the time to go all in like the Rams just did last year.

At this point there's to many factors to go one way or the other. First how Tee performs in 2022, second the 2023 WR draft class, and third is the compensation worth it. If a team offers a top 15 first and say a 3rd for Tee that would be hard to turn down.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 09:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Let’s cross that hypothetical - doom and gloom - worst case scenario if we get to it.

I personally don’t see Tee doing that. Regardless who his agent is. We might not be able to re-sign him if he wants to go be a #1 somewhere, but a hold out going into the final year of his deal? Nah.

It's a business. At the end of the day these players need to make as much money as possible, regardless of how much they love the team. Derwin James loves the Chargers, he's the heart and soul of that team and we just saw him not step on the field until he got his new deal. If Tee tears his ACL next year, he's just lost 20-30 mil, and he's never getting that back.

This happens every single year around the league, it's happening right now with Bates. Be prepared for it to happen again, that's all I'm saying.
Reply/Quote
Another thing to consider is paying the WR position. Even with rates going up, with Boyd being getting closer to 30 when his deal is up he may be had for half the cost of Higgins. Especially if they give him the long term deal and front load it with guaranteed money, keeping his average hit lower.

Even as a slot guy, he's still a quality #2, and if you get any production out of TE long term it could be a platoon situation outside. Something like a ring chasing old cheap 3-5M vet and a 3rd rd pick for Burrow to get the best out of.

We are making a big deal out of LG right now, but it's one position where we're frustrated there isn't a clear cut starter while we try to win a ring. It's not unrealistic to think there could be 3 to 4 more of those if guys at different positions don't develop at a better rate. Higgins long term is great, but Boyd and a bunch of question mark positions filled isn't a bad contingency. A big one may be replacing Awuzie for instance.
Reply/Quote