Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Franchise Tag
I know its a little premature, but I think it's worth a discussion.

Who (if anyone) gets the tag in 2024? I think it's 100% used on either Reader or Tee. Both will be unrestricted FAs.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Well have to see who re-signs first.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 11:55 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well have to see who re-signs first.

Accurate - but if all things stay as they are today... 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
The tag at either position would be expensive.

I predict there will be no tag in 24
Reply/Quote
Has to be Tee. You're getting a guaranteed prime year no matter that Reader is immensely valuable today he will be a year older then. Tee is the bigger tag and trade asset for a return and possibly more instrumental in getting Burrow extended.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 11:55 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Accurate - but if all things stay as they are today... 

I have reservations on this, But Jonah Williams could also play himself into that conversation.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 11:59 AM)BengalBob Wrote: The tag at either position would be expensive.  

I predict there will be no tag in 24

No way they let Tee walk, if anything they tag and trade him even for a 2nd rather than lose him.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 12:10 PM)phil413 Wrote: No way they let Tee walk, if anything they tag and trade him even for a 2nd rather than lose him.

I'm expecting a tag and trade of Tee as well.

DT tag last year was $19m, it'll be more next year, so I don't think Reader will get it.

Maybe an outside chance of Awuzie getting it if he comes back and plays all year like he did last year before getting hurt, the CB number was $18m last year. Just can't see them letting Higgins walk for nothing though, so doubtful.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 12:10 PM)phil413 Wrote: No way they let Tee walk, if anything they tag and trade him even for a 2nd rather than lose him.

When is the last time any team tagged and traded someone. Just feels like this never happens.
Reply/Quote
Tee is the only one that makes sense to me if he is still unsigned. Reader they would rather sign to a 1-year contract, if possible, for much cheaper than the tag would cost. if they tag Tee they may try and trade him as well, especially if Iosivas continues to improve and shows he would be an adequate replacement. Otherwise, if Tee walks the following season best we get is a 3rd round comp pick instead of a 2nd at minimum.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
I'd think it has to be Higgins.
I can't imagine a scenario where the Bengals would be ok with two of their starting WRs leave in FA the same year.
They'd want, if anything, for Higgins to stick around one more year while Iosivas continues to develop.

I can't imagine it'd be Reader because you'd have to pay premiere pass rushing DT numbers to a NT if tagged.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 01:08 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: When is the last time any team tagged and traded someone. Just feels like this never happens.

It's happened several times over the last few years.

1. Dee Ford - KC --> SF
  2. Jarvis Landry - MIA --> CLE
  3. Frank Clark - SEA --> KC
  4. Jadeveon Clowney - HOU --> SEA
  5. Yannick Ngakoue - JAX --> MIN
It is a rarity by volume of trades, obviously, but it does happen. 
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 01:08 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: When is the last time any team tagged and traded someone. Just feels like this never happens.

So its been a few years.

Jags tagged and Traded Yannick Ngakoue in 2020
Texans Clowney 2019
Chiefs Dee Ford in 2019
Seattle Frank Clark in 2019
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 01:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd think it has to be Higgins.
I can't imagine a scenario where the Bengals would be ok with two of their starting WRs leave in FA the same year.
They'd want, if anything, for Higgins to stick around one more year while Iosivas continues to develop.

I can't imagine it'd be Reader because you'd have to pay premiere pass rushing DT numbers to a NT if tagged.

Hopefully they learned their lesson last time that happened, we let Marvin Jones and Sanu walk at the same time in 2016. 
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 01:57 PM)Garrus Wrote: Hopefully they learned their lesson last time that happened, we let Marvin Jones and Sanu walk at the same time in 2016. 

Great point.
While LaFell did fill in respectfully at WR2 in Jones' place and they drafted Boyd to be Sanu's replacement, it just never felt quite as good.

If Higgins and Boyd do both leave at the same time, I'd hope Charlie Jones is good enough going into next year to give confidence he can handle slot duties full-time. Iosivas might end up doing ok if taking the mantle from Higgins, but I'm skeptical he'd be a 800+ yard WR after just one year of growth.
Personally, I'd hope they could bring in a cheaper vet on a 2-year stopgap while Iosivas continued to develop.
I haven't really looked much into potential FA WRs next year, but looking now, I see some guys that MIGHT be able to get 700-900 yards and come relatively cheap?
Michael Pittman Jr (although he might price himself as a low-end WR1)
DJ Chark
Laviska Shenault
Mecole Hardman
Donovan Peoples-Jones

None of those guys other than Pittman would actually make me fill confident though lol
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 01:53 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: It's happened several times over the last few years.

1. Dee Ford - KC --> SF
  2. Jarvis Landry - MIA --> CLE
  3. Frank Clark - SEA --> KC
  4. Jadeveon Clowney - HOU --> SEA
  5. Yannick Ngakoue - JAX --> MIN
It is a rarity by volume of trades, obviously, but it does happen. 

Okay I was trying to remember if Tyreek Hill was tagged then traded but I guess he was still under contract. I was just asking because it seemed unrealistic. Although I would love if the Bengals pulled some kind of creative move to give themselves 4 or 5 picks in the top 3 rounds of the draft.
Reply/Quote
Boyd won't be too expensive to keep will he? Surely he does not think he is a WR1
Reply/Quote
First one signs other is getting tagged. Don’t really see another option to keep both
-Housh
Reply/Quote

Tee would get a 1st and more easily. One second rounder is extremely too low for Tee. That’s not bias either. Every credible journalist and sports analyst Iv seen says the Tee price would be over a 1st rounder. Keep in mind hed most teams number 1 guy so his stats would explode on another team and everyone knows it.

I predict we’d get back at least 3 picks for Tee, with at least 2/3 of those picks being in the 1st four rounds
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 02:44 PM)740Bengal Wrote: Boyd won't be too expensive to keep will he? Surely he does not think he is a WR1

at somepoint you gotta replace with Youth so the dollars can go elsewhere for a few years.
Reply/Quote