Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2nd interview with Arizona for Lou
(02-05-2023, 12:38 PM)samhain Wrote: People indeed said that about the Bengals, but the Bengals were in a far different position than the Cardinals when Zac showed up.  

The good players on the team that were making serious money could be released without a lot of cap damage if a coach wanted to purge the roster.  

The quarterback wasn't making a lot of money (for an entrenched starter), and could very easily be deposed and sent packing, giving whatever new coach what most new coaches want: a new quarterback.

Arizona's situation with Kyler is basically the worst case scenario with modern qb contracts.  He's not bad enough to dump outright, but he's not a guy that you want to hitch your fate to, either.  Unfortunately, that's already been done for whatever coach decides to take the job, and there's nothing he can do about it.  

A shitty team with a blank slate roster, tons of cap, veterans getting bank just begging to get released, and decent draft position is more attractive than a shitty team already paying sizable, guaranteed money to a questionable qb all day long.

The moral of the story is that if you're going to give a huge guaranteed deal to a quarterback, you'd better be damn sure he's the guy.  

You make sound points, but the Eagles and Rams have shown you can get rid of bad contract QBs and turn things around, too. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 12:18 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: FWIW yes and only because SF got the comp picks for McDaniels last year. I for some reason was thinking he was part of the minority (Idiotically, I know remember he was Italian decent) listing by NFL coaching program. Time to move along lol...

Mike McDaniel is biracial with a Caucasian mother and an African-American father which is why San Francisco was compensated for the loss of a minority coach

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 01:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You make sound points, but the Eagles and Rams have shown you can get rid of bad contract QBs and turn things around, too. 

The Eagles for sure but I'm not sure the Rams would be a good model for a first time coach. Obviously it worked out with winning the SB but they had to buy/trade for most of that team and likely will be below average for these next couple years. Seemed like they made the decision to go all in for that year and it panned out for them. 
Reply/Quote
Lou is ready, and if he's solely responsible for building our defense, then he is going places.
Reply/Quote
Wish him the best and hope he gets an opportunity to a HC next year or in future
Reply/Quote
I'm not too old to remember when posters in the Jungle Noise wanted Lou gone. How Zac got stuck with him because none of his first choices would come and those that took Dunlap's side in the dispute, etc. What a difference these last two years have made. I don't know if he changed or we did or he just needed the right players for his system, but it has been a glorious two years.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 04:10 PM)Nepa Wrote: I'm not too old to remember when posters in the Jungle Noise wanted Lou gone. How Zac got stuck with him because none of his first choices would come and those that took Dunlap's side in the dispute, etc. What a difference these last two years have made.  I don't know if he changed or we did or he just needed the right players for his system, but it has been a glorious two years.

I am actually surprised that Lou is getting this much of an opportunity.  Last year's defense was good, at the end of the season and this year is the first really good one, but still not Top 5.  The previous ones were not good whatsoever.  Lou didn't have that great a reputation as a fantastic defensive mind prior to coming here and wasn't one of our top choices.

He is also older, white, kind of non-charismatic... not saying he hasn't become a very good D Coordinator, but there seems to be several others with a better history, younger, and in some cases a minority.  That said Zac had even less experience so....who knows?  But I'm not sure I would be excited about Lou being the new HC if I am a Cards fan... assuming they don't have an awesome offensive coordinator already in the works.

Reply/Quote
Lou will get a job. Arizona is a horrible fit for him.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 05:40 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Lou will get a job. Arizona is a horrible fit for him.

Agree, unless the are firing Vance Joseph?  Which would mean both sides are the ball will have new coaches.  And Jospeh is also supposedly a candidate for the HC job as well.... and if he does leave it is assumed Vance will get another DC job fairly soon.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 12:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's the same thing people said about the Bengals.  

Not for the same reasons. They send coaches into the wood chipper and they are stuck with a QB with red flags equal to the number they fly around the stadium. Even sucking bad enough to draft a franchise QB in two years wouldn't be an option. 

I will say I think the Texans is worse.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 05:35 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I am actually surprised that Lou is getting this much of an opportunity.  Last year's defense was good, at the end of the season and this year is the first really good one, but still not Top 5.  The previous ones were not good whatsoever.  Lou didn't have that great a reputation as a fantastic defensive mind prior to coming here and wasn't one of our top choices.

He is also older, white, kind of non-charismatic... not saying he hasn't become a very good D Coordinator, but there seems to be several others with a better history, younger, and in some cases a minority.  That said Zac had even less experience so....who knows?  But I'm not sure I would be excited about Lou being the new HC if I am a Cards fan... assuming they don't have an awesome offensive coordinator already in the works.

He’s shown a real propensity for in-game adjustments. That will serve him well as a HC.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 06:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s shown a real propensity for in-game adjustments. That will serve him well as a HC.

I don't disagree, but it has only been a season and a half of revealing that trait... 

Reply/Quote
Flores also getting a 2nd interview.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 08:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Flores also getting a 2nd interview.
All this 'multiple people in multiple interviews' would turn me off to the job. Why some end up pulling themselves out of consideration. You are wishy washy.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 12:18 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: FWIW yes and only because SF got the comp picks for McDaniels last year. I for some reason was thinking he was part of the minority (Idiotically, I know remember he was Italian decent) listing by NFL coaching program. Time to move along lol...

We are absolutely NOT minorities: we're just as white as you Americans who also come from European stock).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 12:14 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: We are absolutely NOT minorities: we're just as white as you Americans who also come from European stock).

I know...shame to me. I did say I wrote it Idiotically. Im just not deleting it because my dumb statement did happen.
Reply/Quote
I suppose Arizona's ownership might like the idea of Lou as a structured, discipline type of coach. Maybe they think that will improve the team since Kylar has a reputation for not putting in the work.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 05:35 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I am actually surprised that Lou is getting this much of an opportunity.  Last year's defense was good, at the end of the season and this year is the first really good one, but still not Top 5.  The previous ones were not good whatsoever.  Lou didn't have that great a reputation as a fantastic defensive mind prior to coming here and wasn't one of our top choices.

The first two years was Lou getting rid of the malcontents and guys who took plays off, who would not buy into his system and play their assignments. Once those idiots were replaced, the defense took off.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 12:14 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: We are absolutely NOT minorities: we're just as white as you Americans who also come from European stock).

Ironically, being "just as white" has nothing to do whether a minority or not. My wife is from Latin America and her family lived there for generations. But is just as white as can be and family heritage ultimately is from Portugal and Italy. But she is considered a Latino. (Didn't even speak English at all until came to US at age 19.) Our children, as white as can be but officially classified as Latino. Even considered dual-citizens of a particular Latin American country and have passports from that country.

Being white or not is not the bottom line on being a minority. May not seem fair, but those are the rules set up when it comes to being white Latino.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 11:23 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The first two years was Lou getting rid of the malcontents and guys who took plays off, who would not buy into his system and play their assignments. Once those idiots were replaced, the defense took off.

Of course we all know this, but the fact still remains he has 1.5 seasons of good defensive play.

Reply/Quote