Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2nd interview with Arizona for Lou
(02-05-2023, 08:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Flores also getting a 2nd interview.

and now he may be out of the running

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
This may be old news, but I didn't see in the two Lou threads:

Apparently, the three finalists for Arizona head coach are:

Steelers senior defensive assistant Brian Flores
Lou Anarumo
and Giants offensive coordinator Mike Kafka

Brian Callahan apparently has already been told he's been eliminated from consideration

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/02/06/cardinals-narrow-head-coaching-search-three-finalists

Edit: Well, after I posted I see that a new post appeared from Pally where Brian Flores may have taken the Vikings DC job and been eliminated from the Arizona coaching search.
Reply/Quote
Odds are 50/50
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 07:42 PM)pally Wrote: and now he may be out of the running

Where ever Flores goes I hope he finds a way to take TJ Watt with him.   Tongue
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 06:15 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I don't disagree, but it has only been a season and a half of revealing that trait... 

we have no clue adjustments he has made while tenured here or else where, sometimes adjustments are made but player's execution is not there etc... I coached trust me on any level you can make adjustments that you think are sound but your players either don;t execute or sadly just don;t have the talent to accomplish it on a consistent basis.  Also even as a position coach, you also make in game adjustments and im sure Lou in his long career as a DB coach for years prior so they make adjustments themselves.. and he has been a DC for 3 seasons here and reason he is getting interviewed is he has been successful in his first real tenure as a DC coach in this league. 
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 08:27 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote:  we have no clue adjustments he has made while tenured here or else where, sometimes adjustments are made but player's execution is not there etc... I coached trust me on any level you can make adjustments that you think are sound but your players either don;t execute or sadly just don;t have the talent to accomplish it on a consistent basis.  Also even as a position coach, you also make in game adjustments and im sure Lou in his long career as a DB coach for years prior so they make adjustments themselves.. and he has been a DC for 3 seasons here and reason he is getting interviewed is he has been successful in his first real tenure as a DC coach in this league. 

Lou has been a DC here for 4 seasons, first 2 were awful, last year was ok, this year was solid but not Top 5.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 07:42 PM)pally Wrote: and now he may be out of the running

Have to imagine he'd turn down the DC job in Minnesota if Arizona offers him the HC gig.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 09:32 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Lou has been a DC here for 4 seasons, first 2 were awful, last year was ok, this year was solid but not Top 5.

That is like saying Burrow 1st year was terrible, record yes but he played well did not have enough around him.. ..  you or I have little clue about adjustments. your statement acted like you did... that was my point.. you can be a good coach but if you don;t have players that can make adjustments it hard to see your coaching... Lou got better players and it seems he also improved some players.. ie Apple best example.. Also I believe the best DC coaches were once DB coaching, since that is probably the most important part of a defense now days. 

Looks like Arizona is done to two for the job Flores going to Minn as DC
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 09:36 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Have to imagine he'd turn down the DC job in Minnesota if Arizona offers him the HC gig.

Flores has been confirmed as Vikings DC. I guess he could pull a Belichick and change his mind, as Belichick did regarding the Giants/Patriots. But in this case Arizona's twiddling their thumbs probably settled it for Flores.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35603880/source-brian-flores-vikings-defensive-coordinator
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 09:38 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: That is like saying Burrow 1st year was terrible, record yes but he played well did not have enough around him.. ..  you or I have little clue about adjustments. your statement acted like you did... that was my point.. you can be a good coach but if you don;t have players that can make adjustments it hard to see your coaching... Lou got better players and it seems he also improved some players.. ie Apple best example.. Also I believe the best DC coaches were once DB coaching, since that is probably the most important part of a defense now days. 

Looks like Arizona is done to two for the job Flores going to Minn as DC

You make the most annoying comments.  I never "acted" like I knew anything about Lou's adjustments, you continually display a total lack of comprehension.

Everybody knows better players make better coaches, yet when it comes to hiring, nobody really cares about how good your players are, they want results....

Saying Lou improved Apple is something you do not know... why wouldn't that credit go to Livingston and Burks?  You know the guys who work with him daily for hours and hours...?

Your example comparing Burrow's wins and losses in his first year is beyond pathetic and reveals an even lower aptitude of football knowledge than even I had expected.

Players are not judged by coaches as to wins and losses, especially a player that played very well then was injured.... that is beyond ignorant. 

Coordinators on the other hand, are judged based upon the results and rankings of their unit.  

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 09:42 PM)Nepa Wrote: Flores has been confirmed as Vikings DC. I guess he could pull a Belichick and change his mind, as Belichick did regarding the Giants/Patriots. But in this case Arizona's twiddling their thumbs probably settled it for Flores.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35603880/source-brian-flores-vikings-defensive-coordinator

If they really didnt want him it was a great move by the Cards to avoid being added to the lawsuit.....

Reply/Quote
I love Lou and all but do these other teams not realize we spent a ton of money on FAs as well as hitting on/developing a few draft picks? That is what makes this defense competitive.

And we weren't even the best defense out there. Why aren't people poaching the DC for the 49ers or Eagles or something?

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 09:33 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: I love Lou and all but do these other teams not realize we spent a ton of money on FAs as well as hitting on/developing a few draft picks? That is what makes this defense competitive.

And we weren't even the best defense out there. Why aren't people poaching the DC for the 49ers or Eagles or something?

DeMeco Ryans was the 49ers DC. He is now the HC of the Texans. 
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
Not sure why Arizona and Indy are taking so long unless they are hiring a coach from a SB team.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 10:07 AM)jj22 Wrote: Not sure why Arizona and Indy are taking so long unless they are hiring a coach from a SB team.

Indy is reported as wanting the OC from the Eagles.

Edit: Of course, a couple sites now say they are looking at the DC from the Giants.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 10:07 AM)jj22 Wrote: Not sure why Arizona and Indy are taking so long unless they are hiring a coach from a SB team.

Brian Flores just took the Vikings DC job so AZ now only has 2 candidates left (unless they are waiting on someone else)   Lou and Giants OC

After an Offensive mind Coach they probly leaning Defensive
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 10:12 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: After an Offensive mind Coach they probly leaning Defensive

That's typically how it goes. Hoping they feel they need an Offense mind again for Murray. That's all we can hope for now.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 10:09 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Indy is reported as wanting the OC from the Eagles.

Edit: Of course, a couple sites now say they are looking at the DC from the Giants.

Good to hear. Last I heard Callahan was still in the running for Indy.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 10:12 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Brian Flores just took the Vikings DC job so AZ now only has 2 candidates left (unless they are waiting on someone else)   Lou and Giants OC

After an Offensive mind Coach they probly leaning Defensive

I also speculate they like Lou's experience and approach as being able to ground Kyler and get him to focus on football. The previous bro-head coach seemed like the type of guy playing video games with Kyler instead of focusing on ball.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 09:33 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: I love Lou and all but do these other teams not realize we spent a ton of money on FAs as well as hitting on/developing a few draft picks? That is what makes this defense competitive.

Our defensive roster is littered with a lot of free agents that were let walk by their current teams. None were near the top 10-15 in the league. They were similar to Jessie Bates. At best fringe pro bowl. They’ve had some of their best years here. We’ve also drafted well and developed. A lot of those players were picked by Lou in FA. I think Lou’s eye for talent and adjustments are his strength.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote