Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3-3-3-3
Earlier I created a thread asking what you feel are the team's top 3 fixes. To continue with the exercise I've expanded the 3.

In this thread I ask you to:

Pick 3 draft choices  RD1-3 (If you don't know players, just like position you want)

Pick 3 players that will be under contract that you will cut (you can list $ or not)

Pick 3 current players whose contract expires after this year that you will renew (see above about $)

Pick 3 FAs that you will sign (see above about $)
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
DRAFT
Penei Sewell OT
Daviyon Nixon DT
Deommodore Lenoir CB

CUT
DT-Geno Atkins ($13.4 Mil)
OT-Bobby Hart ($5.9 Mil)
TE-CJ Uzomah ($5.3 Mil)
Save approx. $25 Mil in Cap Space

RES=SIGN:
LG- Quinton Spain ($3 MIL)
CB- WJIII ($8 MIL)
ST- Brandon Wilson ($2 MIL)
Cost about $13 MIL to sign our own

FAs
TE-Gerald Everett ($4 Mil)
DE-Ziggy Ansah ($1.5 MIL)
WR-Curtis Samuel ($11 MIL)
Spend about  $13 MIL in new Signing

Reply/Quote
1. Penei Sewell OT Oregon

2. Trey Smith OG Tennessee

3. Marvin Wilson DT Fla. St.

Why? Because I feel that it is abundantly apparent that the Bengals need to build up the lines on both sides of the ball. Everyone is familiar with Sewell, so no explanations needed here.

Trey Smith is big and very powerful at the point of attack. Described as a line mover in run blocking, a player like Smith would give some desperately needed credibility to the Bengals interior OL. Pass Pro could use a little technical refinement, but he has the physical traits and instincts that cannot be coached.

I went with Wilson because he strikes me as a guy that will develop into an explosive 3T, similar to Geno Atkins for most of his playing career. Explosive off the ball with a powerful "club and swim" move. Needs to develop a solid second move (perhaps a rip?), and needs a little coaching on maintaining discipline as far as pad level.

Edit: I'll finish the cuts, retains, and pickups later..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2020, 11:09 AM)bfine32 Wrote: DRAFT
Penei Sewell OT
Daviyon Nixon DT
Deommodore Lenoir CB

CUT
DT-Geno Atkins ($13.4 Mil)
OT-Bobby Hart ($5.9 Mil)
TE-CJ Uzomah ($5.3 Mil)
Save approx. $25 Mil in Cap Space

RES=SIGN:
LG- Quinton Spain ($3 MIL)
CB- WJIII ($8 MIL)
ST- Brandon Wilson ($2 MIL)
Cost about $13 MIL to sign our own

FAs
TE-Gerald Everett ($4 Mil)
DE-Ziggy Ansah ($1.5 MIL)
WR-Curtis Samuel ($11 MIL)
Spend about  $13 MIL in new Signing

I feel like Jackson will cost more that $8 million...but that all a sound plan.
Reply/Quote
Draft:

Sewell
Twyman
Roche

Cut:

Atkins
Hart
Uzomah

Re-Sign

Alexander
Lawson
Spain

FA:

Desmond King
Melvin Ingram
Larry Warford
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2020, 11:00 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Earlier I created a thread asking what you feel are the team's top 3 fixes. To continue with the exercise I've expanded the 3.

Pick 3 draft choices  RD1-3 (If you don't know players, just like position you want)

Pick 3 players that will be under contract that you will cut (you can list $ or not)

Pick 3 current players whose contract expires after this year that you will renew (see above about $)

GREAT & FUN thread idea...

OL
DL
CB

Atkins
Hart
Waynes

Alexander
Wilson
WJIII

Thuney
Barrett
Ngakoue
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2020, 11:32 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 1.  Penei Sewell  OT  Oregon

2.  Trey Smith OG  Tennessee

3.  Marvin Wilson  DT  Fla. St.

Why?  Because I feel that it is abundantly apparent that the Bengals need to build up the lines on both sides of the ball.  Everyone is familiar with Sewell, so no explanations needed here.  

Trey Smith is big and very powerful at the point of attack.  Described as a line mover in run blocking, a player like Smith would give some desperately needed credibility to the Bengals interior OL.  Pass Pro could use a little technical refinement, but he has the physical traits and instincts that cannot be coached.

I went with Wilson because he strikes me as a guy that will develop into an explosive 3T, similar to Geno Atkins for most of his playing career.  Explosive off the ball with a powerful "club and swim" move.  Needs to develop a solid second move (perhaps a rip?), and needs a little coaching on maintaining discipline as far as pad level.

Edit:  I'll finish the cuts, retains, and pickups later..
This is the exact draft I want. I would be thrilled if we had this draft to build the lines up 
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2020, 11:09 AM)bfine32 Wrote: WR-Curtis Samuel ($11 MIL)

I really like this.  He would fit very well in this offense with his speed, and the fact he's a deep threat.

Plus, he's only 24 and because he hasn't had a great start to his career you'd be getting a nice discount, with the potential to pay off huge.

All this said, the price seems high.  Even though I don't put a ton of stock into it, I was curious to see where Spotrac had his market value.  They have it at the same price (11).  But what's strange is there was an article written about his free agency market just last week that referenced Spotrac and it had him at 3 years 19.5 mil (6.5 per).

If we could get him under 10 then I think that could be a nice deal for us.
Reply/Quote
Draft
Caleb Farley CB Virginia Tech- Franchise CB
Jaylen Twyman 3T Pittsburgh- Next Geno Atkins
Tylan Wallace WR oklahoma ST- Deep threat WR

Cuts-
CJ
Hart
XSF

Resign
Lawson (tag)
Alexander
Spain

Free agents
Joe Thuney IOL
Daryl Williams G
Trent Murphy Defensive End
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2020, 12:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I feel like Jackson will cost more that $8 million...but that all a sound plan.

Actually Sportstrac has his value at $6.3 Mil/Yr. I inflated it slightly because that seemed low.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2020, 01:55 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I really like this.  He would fit very well in this offense with his speed, and the fact he's a deep threat.

Plus, he's only 24 and because he hasn't had a great start to his career you'd be getting a nice discount, with the potential to pay off huge.

All this said, the price seems high.  Even though I don't put a ton of stock into it, I was curious to see where Spotrac had his market value.  They have it at the same price (11).  But what's strange is there was an article written about his free agency market just last week that referenced Spotrac and it had him at 3 years 19.5 mil (6.5 per).

If we could get him under 10 then I think that could be a nice deal for us.
If we don't go on Samuel; I see Chris Conley as a consolation prize. 

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2020, 02:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Actually Sportstrac has his value at $6.3 Mil/Yr. I inflated it slightly because that seemed low.

I've seen estimates like that.  I'm skeptical of them.  The Bengals paid Wanyes a lot of money last year and in doing so set a precedent for what they will pay a top corner.  Does WJ3 consider himself the team's best corner?  Do the Bengals?  I'd say he likely does.  I'd be surprised if he was willing to take less that what the team paid Waynes to stay here.
Reply/Quote
Cut:
- Geno Atkins ($9.6 mill saved)
- Bobby Hart ($6.9 mill saved)
- CJ Uzomah ($6.1 mill saved)

Re-sign:
- WJ3
- Lawson
- Alexander

FA:
- Larry Warford - starting RG
- Daryl Williams - starting RT
- Josh Reynolds - WR3

Draft:
- Penei Sewell, OT Oregon
- Carlos Basham Jr, DE Wake Forest
- Joe Tryon, EDGE Washington

With Sewell and Daryl Williams, this allows Jonah Williams to slide to LG. If an injury were to occur to Sewell or Daryl, Jonah could swing back out to OT. I am a huge Jonah Williams fan who thinks he can be very, very good at either OT position but also at LG. With all the pressure coming from LG the past two seasons, I want the team's best pass protector from 2019 at that spot, and it's Jonah.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I call this my "too many holes to fix in one season so let's just let Joe ball out" offseason.

Cuts:
Geno (saves $9.5mm, not $13.5mm)
Hart
CJU
(and Finney to get to $24mm total)

Re-sign:
Wilson
Huber
Don't care

FA's:
Joe Thuney ($14mm)
Taylor Moton ($20mm)
Don't care

Draft:
Chase (I traded down to get another 2nd)
Humphrey
Freiermuth

My offensive line is Jonah/Thuney/Hopkins/Humphrey/Moton. I've got Chase, Higgins, and Boyd at WR with an actual threat at TE with Freiermuth.

My defense? Well, I really don't have a defense. And we're probably going 6-10 despite putting up 30 a game. But we're going to have a damn good time doing it.
Reply/Quote
I like a lot of these, but there doesn’t seem to be much of a plan at TE. I see Uzomah being cut on most, but no TE drafted or signed to replace him? Unless people are just assuming we’ll grab one in rounds 4-7.

Reply/Quote
(I realize that I haven't finished my post yet) I see several of you cutting CJ Uzomah, but not adding or drafting a TE. Are y'all fine with rolling with just Drew Sample and Mason Shrek? Personally, I see Shrek as cut worthy material. So, I'd say adding a TE, perhaps later in the draft or later in FA will also be somewhat of a priority.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2020, 04:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: (I realize that I haven't finished my post yet)  I see several of you cutting CJ Uzomah, but not adding or drafting a TE.  Are y'all fine with rolling with just Drew Sample and Mason Shrek?  Personally, I see Shrek as cut worthy material.  So, I'd say adding a TE, perhaps later in the draft or later in FA will also be somewhat of a priority.

I just mentioned in my latest mock thread I think that letting CJ Uzomah hold the H-Back spot in 2021 and look at the very deep 2022 Free Agency TE Class would be the best way to go...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2020, 11:00 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Earlier I created a thread asking what you feel are the team's top 3 fixes. To continue with the exercise I've expanded the 3.

Draft:
Penei Sewell OT Oregon
Creed Humphrey IOL Okla/Alex Leatherwood OT/OG Alabama
Quincy Roche DE Miami

Cut:
Geno Atkins (9.6M savings)
Bobby Hart (5.9M savings)
Billy Price (2.1M savings) (I'm not sure I'd do this cut because he could maybe be a serviceable backup C for a decent price but if I had to choose a third, it'd be him)

Re-sign:
William Jackson III (14M AAV)
Mackensie Alexander (6M AAV)
Kevin Huber (2.5M AAV)
I was considering tacking on Carl Lawson, but I don't know how much he is worth considering he is a "good pass rusher" but never really collects any stats to show that. His value will be very dependent on how other teams view him and that's incredibly hard to predict.

Sign:
Leonard Williams (14.5M AAV)
Andy Dalton (4M AAV)
a mid tier LB or DT, depending on the market, ~4M AAV

That would, apparently, leave about 14 million in cap space to sign the rookie pool and any other free agents that we may go after. I was considering going after Thuney, but 15 to 16M is a lot to spend on a guard and I think we could double dip Oline in the draft and come away with a ready to play guard prospect, so I went with the Dline help instead as the big ticket signing.

I didn't include an extension for Bates because his contract isn't expiring, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went with that over re-signing WJIII, as safeties are a little bit cheaper than CBs and we do have Waynes who is already costing us so much money at CB.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2020, 03:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I like a lot of these, but there doesn’t seem to be much of a plan at TE. I see Uzomah being cut on most, but no TE drafted or signed to replace him? Unless people are just assuming we’ll grab one in rounds 4-7.

(12-12-2020, 04:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: (I realize that I haven't finished my post yet)  I see several of you cutting CJ Uzomah, but not adding or drafting a TE.  Are y'all fine with rolling with just Drew Sample and Mason Shrek?  Personally, I see Shrek as cut worthy material.  So, I'd say adding a TE, perhaps later in the draft or later in FA will also be somewhat of a priority.

I signed Gerald Everett. He has experience with Zac, is very durable, a former 2nd rounder who in on depthchart behind Higbee. 

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2020, 03:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I like a lot of these, but there doesn’t seem to be much of a plan at TE. I see Uzomah being cut on most, but no TE drafted or signed to replace him? Unless people are just assuming we’ll grab one in rounds 4-7.

Hunter Henry could be a very nice option.  His market is probably in the neighborhood of 8 mil.  (May even be lower depending on how the lowered cap affects prices.)

Fwiw, we're currently on the hook for 6.3 of CJ Uzomah.  A cut would bring us 5.3 mil in savings, leaving a player like Henry being a difference of 2.7 million in investment.
Reply/Quote