Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Cincinnati defense now allows an average of 32.00 points per game after coughing up 51 points to the Saints. This number isn’t going to decrease as the season progresses, either, and without a defensive coordinator change the Bengals will continue to lose. I had great expectations of Teryl Austin as the season began but he’s the worst defensive coordinator I’ve ever seen in Cincinnati; worse, even, than Leslie Frazier and Chuck Bresnahan. That’s not just bad. It’s historically bad.

Even in the pass- and points-happy NFL, defense still wins championships.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Don't forget the yards! They are last in yards and on track to be the worst in NFL history.

Who is to blame? I mean, the only way to get better is to accept responsibility. Kind of how you never send an "ask" to 11 people in your TO list.

Can the players overcome poor scheme? I mean their tacking technique seems horrible. How do they get to they pros and don't know how to tackle? Are they being taught to tackle a different way now?

It would be great to hear from every player on the starting Defense and ask them what they think is wrong.
Reply/Quote
Worst part is that it seems that the most outspoken guys on defense who speak up, also are the worst.

Looking at you Dre. I know he's going to have some comments in the locker room, while somehow still missing the fact that he just isn't that good.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 06:45 PM)thillan Wrote: Worst part is that it seems that the most outspoken guys on defense who speak up, also are the worst.

Looking at you Dre. I know he's going to have some comments in the locker room, while somehow still missing the fact that he just isn't that good.

Yeah, that's my point too. What does Geno have to say about this. I mean if you're good at your job, your opinion weighs more than others (like Dre's), he must have some advice or thoughts on the piss poor performance.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 06:47 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Yeah, that's my point too. What does Geno have to say about this. I mean if you're good at your job, your opinion weighs more than others (like Dre's), he must have some advice or thoughts on the piss poor performance.

I’m glad you mentioned Geno Atkins. I’m really into line play on both sides of the ball and Geno gets double and triple blocked on almost every play. One might think this would free up Carlos Dunlap and Michael Johnson to go after ball carriers and quarterbacks but for some reason opponents can put one blocker on each of them and it works.
Reply/Quote
Lapham mentioned during the radio broadcast that no team ever allowed 500 yards three consecutive games- not sure if that's any team or just the Bengals. So history was made today if he was right. This string was after allowing 481 (I think) vs Pittsburgh.
Reply/Quote
Yes, and in my opinion so he needs to say something about that. I think staying quiet and leading by example, I don't know, doesn't seem to be working, lol. You can't check in, get triple teamed, check out, get paid - and be happy about that. lol

Completely different sport, and he's the King, but even when lebron is surrounded by scrubs, they can't really stop him - not since day 1. There is something fishy about our D line. I wonder how different our team would play if the lines were merit based pay, lol.
Reply/Quote
I was literally screaming at the TV to blitz in the first quarter on several occasions, but nope.. Just sitting back playing soft zone, missing tackles and/or totally whiffing.
Reply/Quote
I wonder what this defense would look like with a pro bowl caliber, Reuben FOster MILB 

Pro Football Focus gave Foster an overall grade of 90.7 for 2017. His overall grade ranked first among all rookie linebackers and fourth amongst all linebackers. - 

Ouch   But we got Johnny Ross 
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 07:05 PM)UDBengalsFan Wrote: I wonder what this defense would look like with a pro bowl caliber, Reuben FOster MILB 

Pro Football Focus gave Foster an overall grade of 90.7 for 2017. His overall grade ranked first among all rookie linebackers and fourth amongst all linebackers. - 

Ouch   But we got Johnny Ross 

Wouldn't T. Austin just ruin him, anyway? lol
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 07:05 PM)UDBengalsFan Wrote: I wonder what this defense would look like with a pro bowl caliber, Reuben Foster MILB 

We had one of those but he got suspended, fat, and slow.
Reply/Quote
You know what all these Defensive stats add up too??

Austin E-X-T-E-N-S-I-O-N
Reply/Quote
Breaking News!

Legion of homely nerds in caravan headed toward PBS, as latest reports show that everyone scores there at will...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 07:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Breaking News!

Legion of homely nerds in caravan headed toward PBS, as latest reports show that everyone scores there at will...

This

Is

Awesome
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 07:11 PM)GodFather Wrote: You know what all these Defensive stats add up too??

Austin E-X-T-E-N-S-I-O-N

This is so true??
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 06:42 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Don't forget the yards! They are last in yards and on track to be the worst in NFL history.

Who is to blame? I mean, the only way to get better is to accept responsibility. Kind of how you never send an "ask" to 11 people in your TO list.

Can the players overcome poor scheme? I mean their tacking technique seems horrible. How do they get to they pros and don't know how to tackle? Are they being taught to tackle a different way now?

It would be great to hear from every player on the starting Defense and ask them what they think is wrong.

With the talent this defense has, that's just a crime. Defenses with half the talent are playing better.

Reply/Quote
Coming in today we have played 5 top 10 offenses and 4 out of 5 top 5 offenses. So yeah it's a misnomer that they will not improve.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 06:58 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Lapham mentioned during the radio broadcast that no team ever allowed 500 yards three consecutive games- not sure if that's any team or just the Bengals.  So history was made today if he was right.  This string was after allowing 481 (I think) vs Pittsburgh.

And this after a bye and a nice week of rest.  Imagine if this game had been on a normal week, and/or flexed to 8:30.  Jumpin' Jehoshaphat, it would been a damn pinball machine out there.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 06:58 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Lapham mentioned during the radio broadcast that no team ever allowed 500 yards three consecutive games- not sure if that's any team or just the Bengals.  So history was made today if he was right.  This string was after allowing 481 (I think) vs Pittsburgh.
We gave up 2000 plus yards in 4 games which is the most in NFL history... The Bengals setting records this year on D more to come if we don't get some changes.
Reply/Quote
Through 9 games the Bengals have the 2nd worst defense in - NFL history.

Reply/Quote