Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 free agents Cincinnati should sign following NFL Draft
CINCYJUNGLE
Bengals free agency 2017: 4 free agents Cincinnati should sign following NFL Draft
These four players could help further upgrade the Bengals’ roster and add some competition at the weakest spots.
by Jason Marcum@marcum89 May 4, 2017, 8:30am PDT Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

The NFL Draft has concluded, but there are still some pressing needs on the Bengals' roster.
Some of it is just in terms of more depth being necessary, but some of it is also due to the projected starters being a major liability. It's never too late to find help on the free agent market, so here's a look at four free agents the Bengals should consider as we head into summer.

King Dunlap
The Bengals have major questions at both offensive tackle spots heading into the 2017 season. Cedric Ogbuehi has been a disaster to this point, and Jake Fisher has been up-and-down at best. It's very likely this ends up being the worst starting tackle tandem of the Andy Dalton era, and perhaps even the Marvin Lewis era.
But the Bengals don't have to go into 2017 with such a major weakness here. There are still some quality offensive tackles on the market. Dunlap may not be someone you want starting for a full season, but he can be productive in a limited role.

And unfortunately, he may be an upgrade over Ogbuehi, which speaks to how bad the latter has been.

Ryan Clady
The Bengals would be wise to add another veteran tackle before training camp opens. Even if they have faith in Ogbuehi and Fisher, there's no depth behind them outside of Eric Winston, and Winston will be a backup at guard as well. They need another proven tackle, which Ryan Clady would give them.
Clady is a shell of the Pro Bowler he was early in his career, and he isn't someone you want starting, but he'd be great depth for the Bengals to have if he's willing to accept that kind of role, though he'd probably give Ogbuehi a run for his starting spot.

After all, Clady has made 106 career starts, including eight last year with the Jets.

Jared Odrick
You could make an argument for Jared Odrick being the best lineman on the open market. Back in 2015, Odrick signed a 5-year, $42-million contract with Jacksonville, who wound up using him as a 4-3 defensive end, despite his previous success in Miami coming as a 4-3 defensive tackle.
Odrick played as an end for a couple of seasons before having most of his success as a tackle from 2013-14, so that’s probably what he should stick to with his next team. The Bengals could use some more veteran defensive line depth, and Odrick fits the bill. He’d likely be an upgrade over Wallace Gilberry while filling his defensive tackle/end combo spot. He’d be no certainty to make the roster, but, could add depth and push the other players during training camp.

Nick Mangold
The Bengals managed to come out of yet another draft without finding a sure replacement for Russell Bodine. J.J. Dielman was added on Day 3, but, he only has give games of experience at center and the rest of his college experience was at tackle. It appears the Bengals are hell bent on sticking with their enigmatic center, but there's still hope for an upgrade in free agency.

That's where Nick Mangold comes into play. Mangold has been one of the game's best centers for much of his career, though his play has declined in recent years. He's still playing at level higher than that of Bodine, and Mangold can probably be had a decent price.

This may be the easiest way for the Bengals to upgrade their roster right now, so maybe they'll see the light and sign Mangold.

These could be a big help in covering Mikey's *** with Ogee and Fisher.
Reply/Quote
Preaching to the choir about the OT's. Unfortunately, Marvin ain't in the choir.

I wonder, if you wait until TC to see what you have in your T's, and discover you were wrong, will it be too late?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Mangold is very tempting.  I am dissatisfied with Bodine, but wonder if using Mangold would mean no further development for Bodine in his contract year.  Which likely means Bodine goes to FA and we are left with an even older Mangold and no backup.  Sure we could draft someone, but how likely is it to draft a center that is great at starting his rookie year - unless we go first round.  But if Bodine sucks, then we kick ourselves for not picking Mangold and still have to pay Bodine to retain him.  Quite a conundrum.  What would the experts here recommend?
Reply/Quote
I'm still confused on why they think going into next year with this o line which was terrible last year and lost its two best players is a good idea
Who Dey!!!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 08:49 PM)McC Wrote: Preaching to the choir about the OT's. Unfortunately, Marvin ain't in the choir.

I wonder, if you wait until TC to see what you have in your T's, and discover you were wrong, will it be too late?

Very well could be. Teams will have injuries and pick these guys up. I would like to see Mangold brought in and I know there has been some heated debate over this but Barnidge also. I don't see what it hurts to bring 2 vets in (old yes) to compete. Our top player at both positions will be FA's at the end of the season so why not. These FA's might have a year left in them and this might be Bodine's last season here so what difference does it really make. Let Mangold compete, if he beats out Bodine great.
Reply/Quote
Austin Pasztor could make sense. He's healthy and isn't a bad pass blocker on the right side. Clady may look at a bigger contender or chance to compete to start. Injuries or not it felt weird typing that last part but its true on this team. Dunlap is a legit monster at the first level of the run game, and another guy that's had more injuries. I get the Mangold connection but if it were to happend it would have by now I feel. Id be happy with any, but they should look into Pastor. If Ced doesn't hold up then Fisher is an option at LT, Pasztor at RT and you still get your weapon with Andre at RG vs him as a liability vs some speed guys.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 08:22 PM)Derrick Wrote: CINCYJUNGLE
Bengals free agency 2017: 4 free agents Cincinnati should sign following NFL Draft
These four players could help further upgrade the Bengals’ roster and add some competition at the weakest spots.
by Jason Marcum@marcum89 May 4, 2017, 8:30am PDT Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

The NFL Draft has concluded, but there are still some pressing needs on the Bengals' roster.
Some of it is just in terms of more depth being necessary, but some of it is also due to the projected starters being a major liability. It's never too late to find help on the free agent market, so here's a look at four free agents the Bengals should consider as we head into summer.

King Dunlap
The Bengals have major questions at both offensive tackle spots heading into the 2017 season. Cedric Ogbuehi has been a disaster to this point, and Jake Fisher has been up-and-down at best. It's very likely this ends up being the worst starting tackle tandem of the Andy Dalton era, and perhaps even the Marvin Lewis era.
But the Bengals don't have to go into 2017 with such a major weakness here. There are still some quality offensive tackles on the market. Dunlap may not be someone you want starting for a full season, but he can be productive in a limited role.

And unfortunately, he may be an upgrade over Ogbuehi, which speaks to how bad the latter has been.

Ryan Clady
The Bengals would be wise to add another veteran tackle before training camp opens. Even if they have faith in Ogbuehi and Fisher, there's no depth behind them outside of Eric Winston, and Winston will be a backup at guard as well. They need another proven tackle, which Ryan Clady would give them.
Clady is a shell of the Pro Bowler he was early in his career, and he isn't someone you want starting, but he'd be great depth for the Bengals to have if he's willing to accept that kind of role, though he'd probably give Ogbuehi a run for his starting spot.

After all, Clady has made 106 career starts, including eight last year with the Jets.

Jared Odrick
You could make an argument for Jared Odrick being the best lineman on the open market. Back in 2015, Odrick signed a 5-year, $42-million contract with Jacksonville, who wound up using him as a 4-3 defensive end, despite his previous success in Miami coming as a 4-3 defensive tackle.
Odrick played as an end for a couple of seasons before having most of his success as a tackle from 2013-14, so that’s probably what he should stick to with his next team. The Bengals could use some more veteran defensive line depth, and Odrick fits the bill. He’d likely be an upgrade over Wallace Gilberry while filling his defensive tackle/end combo spot. He’d be no certainty to make the roster, but, could add depth and push the other players during training camp.

Nick Mangold
The Bengals managed to come out of yet another draft without finding a sure replacement for Russell Bodine. J.J. Dielman was added on Day 3, but, he only has give games of experience at center and the rest of his college experience was at tackle. It appears the Bengals are hell bent on sticking with their enigmatic center, but there's still hope for an upgrade in free agency.

That's where Nick Mangold comes into play. Mangold has been one of the game's best centers for much of his career, though his play has declined in recent years. He's still playing at level higher than that of Bodine, and Mangold can probably be had a decent price.

This may be the easiest way for the Bengals to upgrade their roster right now, so maybe they'll see the light and sign Mangold.

These could be a big help in covering Mikey's *** with Ogee and Fisher.

Could you share how much money you would offer them in 2017?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 10:20 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: I'm still confused on why they think going into next year with this o line which was terrible last year and lost its two best players is a good idea

I know right ?

Still dumbfounds me that they're even slightly considering going into this season standing pat with this O-line !

If they do and it seems they will, it's gonna be a very long season I'm afraid. At least sign a couple back ups !
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 08:49 PM)McC Wrote: Preaching to the choir about the OT's.  Unfortunately, Marvin ain't in the choir.

I'm too lazy to change my sig, but it's still an issue.  Even playing along with developing players vs actually fielding a descent plan, they're a player short. One of these guys not working out will cause a chain reaction that will look worse than Zeitler looked at times due to either side.  

Ced gets a crack at LT, the most important spot....smh..fine. Fisher is a super sub with the potential to start, what's the harm in depth? He's so versatile I can't see how it affects him or they wouldn't have made him change his number to be a skill player.  Bodine is going to play, we may not like where he's at development wise but they'll play him for continuity with Johnson being only a spot guy like Winston.  Andre may be a great RG at this stage in his career and I hate the best backup plan actually moves two guys around. 

A descent starting RT doesn't actually impede growth, Fisher could just lap Andre or even Boling if both kids are amazing.  I really hate the logic of drawing a line in resources.  I don't care if you've used multiple high picks or larger contracts, if you don't have enough ammo you fix a problem.  We just saw what that logic did to the DL. We literally drafted a full DL and had the same rotation, not even starters but the same while rotation that we had 7 yrs ago.  The OL is one player short, that player won't fix the line but it's a better plan than hoping the young guys produce and the skill players dominate just to be a 9 win team.
Reply/Quote
This makes entirely too much sense! Especially,the part about Clady,Dunlap, & Mangold. Truthfully, I like all four, but would be ecstatic with more experience and depth on the O-line.
Reply/Quote
We don't need depth at Oline we have Nick Vigil. Rumor is that's why FA offensive players are afraid to come here.
Reply/Quote
If anything happens it'll happen after June 1st. Comp picks still in play. They should make another move at OT at the very least.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Mangold is just a name people know he graded out as basically the same guy as bodine last year.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 12:49 AM)jj22 Wrote: If anything happens it'll happen after June 1st. Comp picks still in play. They should make another move at OT at the very least.

Great point I forgot this
Reply/Quote
One of these guys would help, but it's not gonna happen. They're convinced that what we have already on the roster is enough going forward.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 08:05 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: One of these guys would help, but it's not gonna happen. They're convinced that what we have already on the roster is enough going forward.

We are really thin at T, with only Winston as a backup.  We almost have to sign another T somewhere along the line.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 08:11 AM)McC Wrote: We are really thin at T, with only Winston as a backup.  We almost have to sign another T somewhere along the line.

Smith can still play Tackle and we have plenty of guards who can slide in for Smith.
Reply/Quote
We have lots of young talent on the O line. No way we can keep everyone this year and you want to waste a spot on a washed up old lineman? Westermann and Redmon seem to be real diamonds in the rough so why not just give them a chance to succeed and stop begging for lineman

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 10:20 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: I'm still confused on why they think going into next year with this o line which was terrible last year and lost its two best players is a good idea

You can't tell Paul Alexander his Oline sucks. You just can't. I'm sure he truly believes this years oline didn't even need their two best players from last year (their only decent oline players) to be great this year. Waiting on a fluff piece with quotes hyping up Bodine and Ogbeuhi to confirm my suspicions...
Reply/Quote
I would not expect any signing until May 10th as 5/9 is the last day signings count towards the Compensary pick formula
Reply/Quote