Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 free agents Cincinnati should sign following NFL Draft
(05-05-2017, 12:49 AM)jj22 Wrote: If anything happens it'll happen after June 1st. Comp picks still in play. They should make another move at OT at the very least.

Just an FYI:

As of 2015, the date changed from June 1 to May 12 as the date in which free agent signings will no longer count in the comp pick formula.

It was done to give the Veterans a chance to get in on the May OTA's.

It appears that Xenomorph is correct about May 9, 2017 being the cut-off date for comp picks for this year.
May 12 was for 2016.

There is an exception to the rule though it is hardly used.
For example:
NE made a May 9 tender to Blount.

So Blount has an offer of $1.1 million for one year, and if he signs elsewhere before July 22, the departure will count toward New England’s compensatory draft picks. After July 22, he can only sign with the Patriots for 2017.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/10/patriots-made-may-9-tender-offer-to-legarrette-blount/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 01:03 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: old as in.. 30s for a lineman,, been hurt of late... bottom line we drafted a center, we have a veteran as a backup now.. we won;t be going after Mangold. 

I don't think we need a center with Bodine and Johnson. What we need is somebody with LT experience.
Reply/Quote
All 4 of those guys should be on our radar but only Mangold seems likely in my eyes.

I guess with Andre's injury history that is why he is not mentioned here but he should be if healthy.

Good insurance at both RG and RT just like Clady would be.

Would really like King Dunlap as atleast some more insurance in case Og still struggles.

Fisher i think will be fine once we keep him at one position. Really isn't fair to judge him yet.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 04:23 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I don't think we need a center with Bodine and Johnson. What we need is somebody with LT experience.

I usually agree with you Yojimbo but not here.

Og and Fisher will improve, Bodine? I highly doubt it, he would of gotten better last year if he ever was.

Center is where we need to most help now and Dielman only played 5 games last year there in college.

TJ Johnson has been terrible against 3rd and 4th stringers at Center, he is a Guard.

Mangold may be old and a bit washed up but he would be great insurance for us at Center, cheap and his family lives there.

He makes too much sense and i hope we get him.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 04:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I usually agree with you Yojimbo but not here.

Og and Fisher will improve, Bodine? I highly doubt it, he would of gotten better last year if he ever was.

Center is where we need to most help now and Dielman only played 5 games last year there in college.

TJ Johnson has been terrible against 3rd and 4th stringers at Center, he is a Guard.

Mangold may be old and a bit washed up but he would be great insurance for us at Center, cheap and his family lives there.

But we're talking about different things. You want a guy that you think would be a starter, which is fine. I'm talking about what the team needs to do since they believe they are set with our current starters.

Also, I believe Johnson played ~2 games as the starting center last year while Bodine was hurt/benched and Johnson played very well, probably even better than Bodine.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 04:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I usually agree with you Yojimbo but not here.

One big problem with your post from what I have read with the Bengals staff.. they drafted Dielman to play Center and they have noted they have been happy with Johnson improvement and he can swing back and forth from center and guard plus Mangold has not looked good either of late.. so with three players that can play center.. I don;t see them even looking at Mangold  at all
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 04:49 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: But we're talking about different things. You want a guy that you think would be a starter, which is fine. I'm talking about what the team needs to do since they believe they are set with our current starters.

Also, I believe Johnson played ~2 games as the starting center last year while Bodine was hurt/benched and Johnson played very well, probably even better than Bodine.

Good point, i getcha, but i thought TJ played better at Guard then Center last year myself.

I even liked TJ Johnson in college but in the Preseason the dude looked terrible. Just saying.

Hopefully he has improved tons cause i doubt Bodine does.

I know Lechler is an UDFA but all he did in college was dominate at LT, we have him on the team.

I would be for Clady or King Dunlap though.

(05-11-2017, 07:05 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: One big problem with your post from what I have read with the Bengals staff.. they drafted Dielman to play Center and they have noted they have been happy with Johnson improvement and he can swing back and forth from center and guard plus Mangold has not looked good either of late.. so with three players that can play center.. I don;t see them even looking at Mangold  at all

Could be right. Just seemed like a Bengals move to me.

Old, washed up player that was great back in the day. Plus he is a local.

Competition is never a bad thing especially in arguably the teams weakest position.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2017, 12:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good point, i getcha, but i thought TJ played better at Guard then Center last year myself.

I even liked TJ Johnson in college but in the Preseason the dude looked terrible. Just saying.

Hopefully he has improved tons cause i doubt Bodine does.

I know Lechler is an UDFA but all he did in college was dominate at LT, we have him on the team.

I would be for Clady or King Dunlap though.

Could be right. Just seemed like a Bengals move to me.

Old, washed up player that was great back in the day. Plus he is a local.

Competition is never a bad thing especially in arguably the teams weakest position.

Well there is competition.. you have three centers right now... Bodine is the starter going in regardless if they pick a FA up or not  but I could see TJ competing for the starting position.. I just don;t see them going with 4 centers.. not enough playing time for competition... 
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2017, 03:55 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well there is competition.. you have three centers right now... Bodine is the starter going in regardless if they pick a FA up or not  but I could see TJ competing for the starting position.. I just don;t see them going with 4 centers.. not enough playing time for competition... 

Yeah you are probably correct.

Still wish someday we would use an early round pick on a Center.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 04:23 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I don't think we need a center with Bodine and Johnson. What we need is somebody with LT experience.

This.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 04:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All 4 of those guys should be on our radar but only Mangold seems likely in my eyes.

I guess with Andre's injury history that is why he is not mentioned here but he should be if healthy.

Good insurance at both RG and RT just like Clady would be.

Would really like King Dunlap as atleast some more insurance in case Og still struggles.

Fisher i think will be fine once we keep him at one position. Really isn't fair to judge him yet.

I've heard this point on Fisher, even that he says it...but he is the backup LT.  So like you and others have mentioned we need some sort of backup LT or else he may well have to be the guy. No matter how much we hope Ced success the possibility exists he doesnt improve or is hurt.  

Sub wise they have guys they can kick over to RT, but want Andre at RG and Winston only in emergency.  So, Fis her may not like it but his versatility is one of his strengths.  So if they don't sign someone, he's plan B, I don't seriously see them putting Andre at LT.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 10:04 PM)UDWhoDey Wrote: Mangold is very tempting.  I am dissatisfied with Bodine, but wonder if using Mangold would mean no further development for Bodine in his contract year.  Which likely means Bodine goes to FA and we are left with an even older Mangold and no backup.  Sure we could draft someone, but how likely is it to draft a center that is great at starting his rookie year - unless we go first round.  But if Bodine sucks, then we kick ourselves for not picking Mangold and still have to pay Bodine to retain him.  Quite a conundrum.  What would the experts here recommend?

I'd like Mangold as well, but he'd be the only one on this list. We are in a bad spot at tackle, but I still want the young guys to get a chance to prove me wrong

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote