Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 years 140M, 110M guaranteed is the starting place for Jamarr after Jefferson signs
(06-04-2024, 12:02 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: I guess we will find out.  Waddle, Devonta smith, Dk Metcalf, to name a few.  there are a LOT of good receivers in the nfl. If we are only looking at first two years, should we put Higgins in this potential as well?  The only thing that stopped him was injuries.

It's possible that in a few years WRs do what RBs have done; as the NFL goes more to a passing league. 

There's a lot of good ones and 1 might not ne worth 15% of the team cap. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2024, 12:04 AM)bfine32 Wrote: It's possible that in a few years WRs do what RBs have done; as the NFL goes more to a passing league. 

There's a lot of good ones and 1 might not ne worth 15% of the team cap. 

I just don’t see that happening. Unless you are Patrick Mahomes or Tom Brady (NE version) you really need one elite, and/or two high end passing options to even make it to a Super Bowl, let alone win it.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2024, 12:19 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: I just don’t see that happening. Unless you are Patrick Mahomes or Tom Brady (NE version) you really need one elite, and/or two high end passing options to even make it to a Super Bowl, let alone win it.

And even Mahomes has had arguably the greatest pass catching TE of all time his entire career.

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2024, 03:29 PM)Joelist Wrote: Again remember the NFL Funding Rule. The question is do they have sufficient cash on hand to put into escrow to cover that big of a guarantee hit. Remember with Burrow he agreed to allow the guarantee to come on in stages so they would be able to put the needed cash into escrow. The rest of those terms they won't have issues with.

Now that Jefferson is done you can expect they're talking to Chase already concerning guarantee structure.

The Vikings are required to put less than 30M in escrow for Jefferson's contract.  In fact, it may be closer to zero than 30M.

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2024, 01:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Right, but from the contracts we've seen going out to other WRs of that same draft class, I think that you'd have to slot Chase just a little below Jefferson, but higher than Waddle.

Right, Chase will not get more than Jefferson because he has not produced like Jefferson.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2024, 08:06 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Right, Chase will not get more than Jefferson because he has not produced like Jefferson.

that doesnt mean Chase wont want more than jefferson...  Which might be an issue
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2024, 08:06 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Right, Chase will not get more than Jefferson because he has not produced like Jefferson.

That's not to say that he can't produce like Jefferson, as Chase's downfield opportunities were limited last season due to circumstances outside of his control.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We have to remember that Ja'Marr has that extra rookie year on his contract over Jefferson this off-season.

Chase could sign a 3 year 107mil extension at 35.7 AAV which is more than Justin Jefferson but make less money over than same 5 year span. Jefferson will make roughly 160m with 130m guaranteed over 5 years while Chase would be around 128m with whatever guarantees (at least 21m 5th year option guaranteed). What makes this a win for Chase is he will collect a massive pay day the headline as rhe highest paid WR and be able to negotiate his next extension at 28.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
It is a bit strange after seeing KC win again with nobodies at WR. I'm not saying you shouldn't pay your stars but a WR alone isn't enough to take you that far. Their only playoff appearance with Jefferson was in '22 and they went out in the first round.

I say this knowing we'll pay Jamar. And we should...that is the right move of course. Still, in some meta sense WRs feel over-valued right now. For the same money you add 3 high price tag players to a defense and maybe end up winning more playoff games.

Reply/Quote
I’m excited to re-sign Jamar.
Will be great to have him and burrow locked up for awhile.

Would like to lock up Hendrickson for a couple more years too.
Definitely need to add to the pass rush in the draft next year though.
It’ll be hard to fill this need in FA in the future.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2024, 01:30 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And even Mahomes has had arguably the greatest pass catching TE of all time his entire career.

Who just re-signed for less than 1/2 of what JJ just got allowing extra $ to bring back Chris Jones. That's kind of the point.

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2024, 09:53 PM)J24 Wrote: I completely disagree with this ; JJ has been forced  fed the ball his entire career while Chase has had to share the wealth with Tee and Boyd. Of course his numbers are going to be better because of it.

Chase best year was 1st year, his numbers have deceased since then , not that he won't make bank but I don't see him as top WR in league 
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2024, 10:30 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Who just re-signed for less than 1/2 of what JJ just got allowing extra $ to bring back Chris Jones. That's kind of the point.

Apples and oranges. Kelce is the highest paid tight end. Kelce showed signs of slipping last year and is 10 years older than Jefferson/chase. The kelce extension still paid him at the top of his position, and to ensure an all time great retires as a chief. Chris jones (3/9) signed before kelce (4/29) did anyway.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2024, 08:24 PM)Synric Wrote: Chase probably wants to sign a 3 year extension now (5 total years) so he's 28 and still in his prime headed into his next contract year. He could collect three large pay days in less than 10 years.

3 years makes sense from the club's end, as well.  They can match JJ's AAV and guarantee %, but have to put a lot less money into escrow.  
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2024, 10:54 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Apples and oranges.  Kelce is the highest paid tight end.  Kelce showed signs of slipping last year and is 10 years older than Jefferson/chase.  The kelce extension still paid him at the top of his position, and to ensure an all time great retires as a chief.  Chris jones (3/9) signed before kelce (4/29) did anyway.

Superbowl rings between the 2 is also Apples to Oranges.

Yet the point made is apples to apples. Do you put 35ish% of your team cap into 2 players? 

KC chose not to do this when they let a WR better than Chase Walk. 

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2024, 11:13 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Superbowl rings between the 2 is also Apples to Oranges.

Yet the point made is apples to apples. Do you put 35ish% of your team cap into 2 players? 

Travis Kelce is one of one. The Bengals don't have an elite talent like that on their roster that will play for a fraction of what other teams are getting for their elite receivers.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2024, 10:38 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Chase best year was 1st year, his numbers have deceased since then , not that he won't make bank but I don't see him as top WR in league 

True Ja'Marr Chase's rookie year was his best statistically but he was a better receiver in 2022. 2023 was kinda up and down but he still produced at a high level (100 1200+ 7) with a roller-coaster ride at QB.

I can't wait for Chase's 2024 season because I expected him to get 10% to 15% more snaps in the slot giving him mismatches, 2way goes, and catch & run opportunities. 

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2024, 11:13 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Superbowl rings between the 2 is also Apples to Oranges.

A few things.

1) 2025, Patrick Mahomes and Chris jones will account for $100,000,000 next year. Two players, 36% of expected cap.
2) chases salary is mostly locked in for the next two years. The cap will continue to increase, so by the time it hits the books it won’t be 35% of the cap. Sure it will “appear” like they have a lot tied up into two positions today, but the reality is when 2026 comes around, it won’t looks so bad.

There is a reason the chiefs let Tyreek hill walk. While his production is great on the field, there are obvious enough concerns that the chiefs didn’t want him. He is a ticking time bomb.

Domestic assault conviction - 2014

Child abuse investigation - 2019

Assault investigation - 2023

paternity lawsuits - 2023

Civil lawsuit - 2024

He has 10 kids with a handful of different women. He actually had kids with 3 different women, while he was married and none was with his wife.

I’m just saying, there is a reason that the chiefs let hill walk.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2024, 11:25 AM)Synric Wrote: Travis Kelce is one of one. The Bengals don't have an elite talent like that on their roster that will play for a fraction of what other teams are getting for their elite receivers.

I get it and we will pay JC, of that, I'm sure. Just imagine how mad "selfless Joe" would be if we didn't. 

I just do and always have thought the idea of parting with JC is not as "stupid" as most think. 

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2024, 12:08 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: A few things.

1) 2025, Patrick Mahomes and Chris jones will account for $100,000,000 next year.  Two players, 36% of expected cap.
2) chases salary is mostly locked in for the next two years.  The cap will continue to increase, so by the time it hits the books it won’t be 35% of the cap.  Sure it will “appear” like they have a lot tied up into two positions today, but the reality is when 2026 comes around, it won’t looks so bad.

There is a reason the chiefs let Tyreek hill walk.  While his production is great on the field, there are obvious enough concerns that the chiefs didn’t want him. He is a ticking time bomb.

Domestic assault conviction - 2014

Child abuse investigation - 2019

Assault investigation - 2023

paternity lawsuits - 2023

Civil lawsuit - 2024

He has 10 kids with a handful of different women.  He actually had kids with 3 different women, while he was married and none was with his wife.

I’m just saying, there is a reason that the chiefs let hill walk.

KC doesn't give a damn about off-field stuff. They are one of the least disciplined teams in the NFL. Have been every since the days Derrick Thomas going 80 MPH in an Ice Storm. They had drunk coaches run over kids, they had a WR going 100+ losing control. they have a media circus currently going on w/ their TE.

They could care less how many kids Ty has w/ whom.

Reply/Quote