Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7 Worst NFL Head Coaches EVER
Guess who ranks #1 in the modern era: http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/7-worst-nfl-head-coaches-ever.html/7/?ref=OB
Reply/Quote
There are bad coaches, but the fact that Dave Shula not only didn't get another coaching gig after the Bengals combined with the fact that he went into a different business altogether (one owned by his father, no less) is just amazing. Think about this...in 1992 the Bengals chose to hire a HC who within a few years would be managing his dad's stakehouse. Does it get worse than that?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Everyone can look up Shula's record, but to me the low point of his time here came in his very first season. he was on the sideline getting in Gary Reason's face and Reasons just flipped Shula's ball cap off his head. It looked exactly like something a bully would do to a little kid om a playground. And Shula did nothing at all about it. I have never seen an NFL player disrespect a head coach like that and get away with it.

It is one thing for a player to get in a shouting match with a coach. That happens sometimes in the heat of battle. But this was a player just flat out disrespecting a coach.
Reply/Quote
This stuff didn't get left behind on the mothership? It came here too?
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2015, 11:54 AM)Nately120 Wrote: There are bad coaches, but the fact that Dave Shula not only didn't get another coaching gig after the Bengals combined with the fact that he went into a different business altogether (one owned by his father, no less) is just amazing.  Think about this...in 1992 the Bengals chose to hire a HC who within a few years would be managing his dad's stakehouse.  Does it get worse than that?

It will only get worse than that if we fire Marvin! Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
Jay Gruden will rule that list someday.....
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(07-14-2015, 11:54 AM)Nately120 Wrote: There are bad coaches, but the fact that Dave Shula not only didn't get another coaching gig after the Bengals combined with the fact that he went into a different business altogether (one owned by his father, no less) is just amazing.  Think about this...in 1992 the Bengals chose to hire a HC who within a few years would be managing his dad's stakehouse.  Does it get worse than that?

Shula & Son Vampire Slaying?
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2015, 05:14 PM)Benton Wrote: Shula & Son Vampire Slaying?

They don't do the slaying, they simply supply the weaponry.  That way they aren't liable to the pro-vampire lobby and rights groups.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2015, 05:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: They don't do the slaying, they simply supply the weaponry.  That way they aren't liable to the pro-vampire lobby and rights groups.

The thing I remember about the Shula years was that the games were always competitive, even though our talent level was atrocious. Seemed like they always led the league in losses of one score or less.
Reply/Quote
It must have been his second or third year as HC, and the team was 1-0 and went into Indy and beat the Colts to go 2-0. I remember him leaping around the field like we'd just won the AFCCG, lol. Then, of course, the wheels fell off. Good times.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Shula was the first one to come to mind from just reading the thread title, then BAM there he was. Sat through Klingler getting sacked like nine times in the Dawg Pound under Shula one game. Good times!
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2015, 12:56 PM)djs7685 Wrote: It will only get worse than that if we fire Marvin! Rolleyes

[Image: orig-21669941.jpg]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2015, 09:56 PM)Joe Pong Wrote: The thing I remember about the Shula years was that the games were always competitive, even though our talent level was atrocious. Seemed like they always led the league in losses of one score or less.

I have similar thoughts.  I think of Dave Shula not so much as being a bad coach, but as a guy who never had a chance because Mike Brown was his GM and Mikey was making the call on draft picks.  Jerry Jones of the Drugstore List never got over the fact that the Bengals passed on Troy Vincent to take David Klingler.  It was reported that the coaching staff was "stunned" when Mike Brown announced they were picking Klingler.
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 01:41 AM)Toy Cannon Wrote: I have similar thoughts.  I think of Dave Shula not so much as being a bad coach, but as a guy who never had a chance because Mike Brown was his GM and Mikey was making the call on draft picks.  Jerry Jones of the Drugstore List never got over the fact that the Bengals passed on Troy Vincent to take David Klingler.  It was reported that the coaching staff was "stunned" when Mike Brown announced they were picking Klingler.

Mike Brown used a Ouiji (WeeGee) Board to make draft selection, I am certain of it.

Reply/Quote
Fred, I saw that hat incident, too, and though I remember it a little differently, I was just as appalled.

I told my friends at the time that I would have simply told Reasons to go to the locker room, remove the uniform and leave the building.

People can say that he didn't have the authority, and maybe he didn't but I would have damn well tried.

Also, on the practical side, a manager, unsure of a firing situation can always go with suspension, with the final decision to come later.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 03:19 AM)Thundercloud Wrote: Fred, I saw that hat incident, too, and though I remember it a little differently, I was just as appalled.

I told my friends at the time that I would have simply told Reasons to go to the locker room, remove the uniform and leave the building.

People can say that he didn't have the authority, and maybe he didn't but I would have damn well tried.  

Also, on the practical side, a manager, unsure of a firing situation can always go with suspension, with the final decision to come later.

I think part of the problem was that players couldn’t see what Shula had done to earn the head coaching position.  He was an obscure wide receivers coach on a bad team when he was named head coach.

So when Reasons grabbed the bill of Shula’s cap and moved it from side to side, it appeared to me that Reasons didn’t see him as “the boss”, but more as that cute little guy pretending to be an NFL head coach.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 04:43 AM)Toy Cannon Wrote: I think part of the problem was that players couldn’t see what Shula had done to earn the head coaching position.  He was an obscure wide receivers coach on a bad team when he was named head coach.

So when Reasons grabbed the bill of Shula’s cap and moved it from side to side, it appeared to me that Reasons didn’t see him as “the boss”, but more as that cute little guy pretending to be an NFL head coach.

Is there video evidence of this?  For some reason I haven't had my fill of post-Paul Bengals embarrassments.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 03:19 AM)Thundercloud Wrote: Fred, I saw that hat incident, too, and though I remember it a little differently, I was just as appalled.

Reminds me of something Lorenzo Neal said about his time with the Bengals.  He said players would sleep during meetings, knowing that Dick LeBeau didn't have the authority to cut them.
Reply/Quote

It was his rookie year and it was on Monday Night Football against the Steelers. Reasons came over to the sideline and Shula was attempting to yell at him and Reasons just grabbed the bill of his hat and shook it back and forth a couple times like "aww, what a cute little boy". 

Like, probably, most others, i thought he should have been cut at that instant. It was blatant disrespect.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 10:01 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Is there video evidence of this?  For some reason I haven't had my fill of post-Paul Bengals embarrassments.

Nothing i've ever been able to find. Not even a photo. 

No doubt, it's in the NFL Films vault somewhere though.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote