Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
9-8
(01-07-2024, 10:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Going off the top of my head here.

Burrow's been hurt 2 of his 4 seasons

In both those seasons, the team had a better record without Burrow

And in the 2 seasons he was not hurt they made the SB 1 year and the AFCC game both years…
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 10:25 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: And in the 2 seasons he was not hurt they made the SB 1 year and the AFCC game both years…

Exactly, just imagine if they did better....
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Burrow is a top 5 qb but having him back won’t get us into the playoffs or give us a shot at Super Bowl unless both line and safety play improves substantially
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 10:10 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm annoyed of my friend already. It's been 4 hours and he has must have reminded me 100 times. One Bengals win against the Steelers this year and their positions would have been switched.

The Steelers went 5 and 1 in the AFCN, including two against the Ravens. They did well in the most important games, those within the division. That was the difference in their seasons.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 10:33 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Burrow is a top 5 qb but having him back won’t get us into the playoffs or give us a shot at Super Bowl unless both line and safety play improves substantially

Premier QBs can only carry you so far today. Especially pure passers. Just look at the Browns. Investing in DL and OL are just as, if not more important.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 10:50 PM)Billy_Bengal Wrote: Premier QBs can only carry you so far today. Especially pure passers. Just look at the Browns. Investing in DL and OL are just as, if not more important.

Exactly, just look at the Browns: they have 0 chance at winning anything, because they don't have a QB. They are literally the worst example in the playoffs, save for maybe the Stoolers: these teams have absolute no chance at anything because of v who's throwing the ball.

Lines are important for sustainability, yes, but without the QB to bring you over the hump, it won't matter, as a QB will mask any deficiency, if they are good enough.

I would've thought that just by watching this team that past 3 years, people would realise that...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 10:33 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Burrow is a top 5 qb but having him back won’t get us into the playoffs or give us a shot at Super Bowl unless both line and safety play improves substantially

Amen
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 08:28 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I’d have much rather played for picks. It’s just a moral victory that doesn’t do much of anything

That’s literally not the definition of moral victory in the traditional sense or the football sense.

The amount of people who root for losing because they’re emotionally hurt by the disappointment is alarming. That is sort of like every single time you don’t get a promotion, you quit your job in hopes of a better one.

It’s a quitters mindset with nothing but “potential” in the future.
Reply/Quote
Well I certainly didn't think we would go 4-3. But it's still disappointing to me because I think we have to look back at it just like this Browns game. Indy is probably the only game we should've win with this offensive staff. I know people will say when Burrow comes back they have and will be good enough to potentially win a superbowl. But we don't have that defense anymore and the offense needs to be better than it was even with Burrow the past couple years. When I thought I was seeing some actual offensive creativeness I was pleasantly surprised and excited. When it turned out to be a flash in the pan I realized it's just another excuse holding us from significant positive changes.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 10:50 PM)Billy_Bengal Wrote: Premier QBs can only carry you so far today. Especially pure passers. Just look at the Browns. Investing in DL and OL are just as, if not more important.

18 of the last 23 Super Bowl winning teams had a HOF, another 3, had a QB that will be either close or will get in.

You’re potentially looking at only 2 of the last 23 Super Bowl champions to not have a HOF QB, so though OL and DL definitely are cornerstones, they are no way more important, and you’re more than likely only going to go as far as your QB if your goal is a Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
I get both sides... but here's my thoughts.

In a SB Window (Which is Joe's entire career) in a lost season I think it would of been better to tank for the pick. With a leader like Joe you aren't losing the locker room and Zac drafts all high character guys anyways.

It's best to reload in lost years to replenish the talent that we are losing due to these massive contracts.

Winning makes us feel good on Sunday that's it... but our ultimate goal should always to win playoff games and eventually the Super Bowl.

I hope they tag and trade Tee for some picks. We need them.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 11:09 PM)QueenCity Wrote: With a leader like Joe you aren't losing the locker room and Zac drafts all high character guys anyways.

This is exactly why you’ll never get the team to worry about picks over winning now. They aren’t going to ignore their brothers on the team for the potential of someone who may or may not be on the team in the future.
Reply/Quote
Browning showing that he wasn't total crap makes it pretty clear that starting an ice cold and totally beat up Burrow in weeks 1-2 could have been what cost us the playoffs.  I "got" why we started Burrow in week 1 until Browning showed he was capable, so I'm allowed to miss that being a dumbass fan, but our coaching staff should have seen it.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 08:26 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: How many thought sitting 5-5 no Burrow with the tough schedule facing us we would go 4-3 and a winning record,  I did not. Who dey

While I didn't think it would happen, this is the exact record you don't want to be when going into the draft.
You either want to have made the playoffs and see how far you can go or have as bad of a record as possible for the earliest possible pick.

Bengals will be picking 18th, but they could have picked as early as 13th going into today.
18th is the pick I wanted the Steelers to have.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 11:09 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I get both sides... but here's my thoughts.

In a SB Window (Which is Joe's entire career) in a lost season I think it would of been better to tank for the pick. With a leader like Joe you aren't losing the locker room and Zac drafts all high character guys anyways.

It's best to reload in lost years to replenish the talent that we are losing due to these massive contracts.

Winning makes us feel good on Sunday that's it... but our ultimate goal should always to win playoff games and eventually the Super Bowl.

I hope they tag and trade Tee for some picks. We need them.

This exactly.  Feeling good winning a handful of meaningless games is not remotely close to drafting 9 of the best possible players that will impact the team for the next 4 seasons.  These next 4 years are likely the most important with Burrow and Chase in their prime.

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 11:20 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: This is exactly why you’ll never get the team  to worry about picks over winning now. They aren’t going to ignore their brothers on the team for the potential of someone who may or may not be on the team in the future.

There is a MASSIVE difference in the player's & coaches mindset and a bunch of fans on a message board.  It's kinda odd that line is blurred so easily.

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 10:25 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: And in the 2 seasons he was not hurt they made the SB 1 year and the AFCC game both years…

Because of the defense, not Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 12:16 AM)casear2727 Wrote: There is a MASSIVE difference in the player's & coaches mindset and a bunch of fans on a message board.  It's kinda odd that line is blurred so easily.

If we know the players aren’t going to have this mindset then why is it always so heavily projected onto them that they should want to “get better by losing.”
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 11:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Browning showing that he wasn't total crap makes it pretty clear that starting an ice cold and totally beat up Burrow in weeks 1-2 could have been what cost us the playoffs.  I "got" why we started Burrow in week 1 until Browning showed he was capable, so I'm allowed to miss that being a dumbass fan, but our coaching staff should have seen it.

Could've been?

No, it what ultimately was what cost us in the end. Aside from a TB drop.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 12:14 AM)casear2727 Wrote: This exactly.  Feeling good winning a handful of meaningless games is not remotely close to drafting 9 of the best possible players that will impact the team for the next 4 seasons.  These next 4 years are likely the most important with Burrow and Chase in their prime.

Go ask the players if they think they are meaningless. This term is used so loosely it’s jarring. There is nothing meaningless about lining up next to your teammate and going to battle for them.
Reply/Quote