Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
95% chance Marvin returns as Head Coach - just has to get back on "same page" as Mike
* With Hue Jackson and Jay Gruden likely not available, Marvin being only 59 years old, with a home in Cincinnati, the ability to keep earning nice paychecks, another chance to win a playoff game to improve his legacy, more roster control if an aging Mike allows it, plus what Lewis has said below: I think the chances are 95% that Marvin returns as Head Coach.

Bengals' coach Marvin Lewis still unsure of future with team   -   (below from Article)

He said Monday that he's not sure he'll be back. He and Mike Brown had a general discussion about the team's future.

"If his direction is different than my direction, it's probably not good," Lewis said. "So we just have to make sure we're all on the same page."

Lewis said on Monday that the organization has to do a better job of building a team that can win the AFC North. During his 15 seasons in Cincinnati, he's lobbied for more sway over the makeup of the roster.

"We have to build better," Lewis said. "We've got to build a team that can win in this division, and we're not there obviously. So that's the first step."

The front office decided to go with a youth movement this season, giving Lewis one of his least-experienced teams.

Lewis said he's unsure how long it will take to decide whether he stays or looks for a coaching job somewhere else.

Asked what he would say to fans, Lewis said, "Well, I think if you're a real fan then you stay the course and understand we're not happy with what transpired this season and we're going to do everything — if I'm here, I'm going to do everything in my power to get us to be world champions."
Reply/Quote
I'm to the point now that I hope Marvin does not return if for nothing more, Jungle Noise can talk about football again and not start 50 threads a day bytching about the EXACT same thing.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 12:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm to the point now that I hope Marvin does not return if for nothing more, Jungle Noise can talk about football again and not start 50 threads a day bytching about the EXACT same thing.

dont  make it bigger than it is..we need a better offensive line ..thats all
Reply/Quote
Marvin is already back. Cinci isn't even being mentioned as having an opening. Nothing to see here folks.

Font page of Bengals.com confirms they are just working on the contract details, which a contract never was the problem. Marvin nor Mike is looking at any other coaches/coaching opportunities.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Surprise surprise. Time for all of those "If ML returns I'm done/I'm going to root for another team if ML is back" fans to hit the road. Not being a jerk, but I was wondering what everyone thought was so different about this season than the last 15. He's back. It's like a bad horror movie. Predictable and too many sequels.
Reply/Quote
Lol the fact that a coach with back to back losing seasons and an 0-7 playoff record with an expired contract is making demands about the team going forward is mind blowing.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 12:33 PM)jj22 Wrote: Marvin is already back. Cinci isn't even being mentioned as having an opening. Nothing to see here folks.

Font page of Bengals.com confirms they are just working on the contract details, which a contract never was the problem. Marvin nor Mike is looking at any other coaches/coaching opportunities.

There still seems to be the issue of roster control & direction but I think Marvin can giggle his way back into Mike's heart with some 1 on 1 meetings.

Hue Jackson and Jay Gruden are likely not available and Marvin just eliminated 2 potential Playoff teams to end the season.

The writing appears to be on the Wall.

Marvin is likely coming back with a little more control over the roster.
Reply/Quote
So Marvin gets to take his sweet time to make his "decision" so all the viable candidates to replace him will be gone. This is what 15 years of failing to come close to the ultimate goal gets you in Cincinnati.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 12:26 PM)depthchart Wrote: The front office decided to go with a youth movement this season, giving Lewis one of his least-experienced teams.

Wait, so Mike Brown was right and Marvin was wrong????
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 12:41 PM)Takedown Wrote: Surprise surprise. Time for all of those "If ML returns I'm done/I'm going to root for another team if ML is back" fans to hit the road. Not being a jerk, but I was wondering what everyone thought was so different about this season than the last 15. He's back. It's like a bad horror movie. Predictable and too many sequels.

As soon as the team won their 6th game, talks of Marvin leaving were over.

Fans and local businesses are done. You felt the apathy for the Bengals throughout the city this season, and no reason to think it'll miraculously be better in 2018.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 12:43 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Lol the fact that a coach with back to back losing seasons and an 0-7 playoff record with an expired contract is making demands about the team going forward is mind blowing.

Keep in mind he did the same thing after going 4-12 in 2010 and he didn't even have that "made the playoffs 6 times in 9 years" feather in his cap that he has this time.

How could anyone be surprised that this is happening?  Why isn't this like 2010 where we just accept Marvin coming back and label half our team cancerous divas who are the reason we failed?  Ah well, here we are again.
Reply/Quote
Even if we do go big in free agency nobodys gonna be motivated because Marvins not a winner. He doesn't believe in himself. I think Marvin needs to look in the mirror and give himself one of his rah rah speeches. "Keep shoveling, Keep Grinding....(clap) let's go"
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 12:53 PM)jj22 Wrote: As soon as the team won their 6th game, talks of Marvin leaving were over.

Fans and local businesses are done. You felt the apathy for the Bengals throughout the city this season, and no reason to think it'll miraculously be better in 2018.

He's always done just good enough for Mike to keep him around. Nothing new.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 12:56 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Even if we do go big in free agency nobodys gonna be motivated because Marvins not a winner. He doesn't believe in himself. I think Marvin needs to look in the mirror and give himself one of his rah rah speeches. "Keep shoveling, Keep Grinding....(clap) let's go"

Oh, he does plenty of shoveling.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 12:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm to the point now that I hope Marvin does not return if for nothing more, Jungle Noise can talk about football again and not start 50 threads a day bytching about the EXACT same thing.

Someone willing to write up an algorithm to auto-scan threads containing "Marvin" and "Lewis" and auto-merge them? Lol
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 12:26 PM)depthchart Wrote: * With Hue Jackson and Jay Gruden likely not available, Marvin being only 59 years old, with a home in Cincinnati, the ability to keep earning nice paychecks, another chance to win a playoff game to improve his legacy, more roster control if an aging Mike allows it, plus what Lewis has said below: I think the chances are 95% that Marvin returns as Head Coach.

Bengals' coach Marvin Lewis still unsure of future with team   -   (below from Article)

He said Monday that he's not sure he'll be back. He and Mike Brown had a general discussion about the team's future.

"If his direction is different than my direction, it's probably not good," Lewis said. "So we just have to make sure we're all on the same page."

Lewis said on Monday that the organization has to do a better job of building a team that can win the AFC North. During his 15 seasons in Cincinnati, he's lobbied for more sway over the makeup of the roster.

"We have to build better," Lewis said. "We've got to build a team that can win in this division, and we're not there obviously. So that's the first step."

The front office decided to go with a youth movement this season, giving Lewis one of his least-experienced teams.

Lewis said he's unsure how long it will take to decide whether he stays or looks for a coaching job somewhere else.

Asked what he would say to fans, Lewis said, "Well, I think if you're a real fan then you stay the course and understand we're not happy with what transpired this season and we're going to do everything — if I'm here, I'm going to do everything in my power to get us to be world champions."
The last sentence pretty much tells me everything I need to know.  "We're going to everything" calling BS there! Gee let's keep doing the samething over and over and get the same results. Passive defense> check, bad O-line coach> check, same predictable offensive scheme> check, bad clock management> check, run the clock out before the 1st half is over> check, sit on leads> check...... get the point....
Reply/Quote

(01-02-2018, 01:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Someone willing to write up an algorithm to auto-scan threads containing "Marvin" and "Lewis" and auto-merge them? Lol

We may not have an algorithm, but we did create a "coaching news" sub-forum and a "report a post" feature to alert mods to COC violations and misplaced threads. 

That way people don't have to whine about whining, which contributes to the boards even less than misplaced threads.

Unfortunately, the mods aren't ubiquitous...hence the report feature. Please use it. ThumbsUp
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 01:07 PM)sandwedge Wrote: The last sentence pretty much tells me everything I need to know.  "We're going to everything" calling BS there! Gee let's keep doing the samething over and over and get the same results. Passive defense> check, bad O-line coach> check, same predictable offensive scheme> check, bad clock management> check, run the clock out before the 1st half is over> check, sit on leads> check...... get the point....

Not saying I believe Marvin Lewis either, but you left out some key words from that statement..."in my power."
If the rumors are true, Marvin wants more control and the org very well could be handcuffed due to how much Mike Brown likes to have his control and not change things.
In fact, many believe that a new coach would have less power than Marvin has had, so the results might be worse.
Mike Brown does want to win a championship, but he wants to do it on his terms. Being an owner comes with some arrogance and confidence that you know and have what it takes to be successful even when your customers might disagree with you.

It's feeling more and more like this is more on Marvin's terms of whether he wants to stay because he wants/needs a certain level of control to achieve the next level of success.
And maybe he actually will succeed with more control, but I don't there there's much confidence at all from this fanbase that he would actually achieve it.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 01:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not saying I believe Marvin Lewis either, but you left out some key words from that statement..."in my power."
If the rumors are true, Marvin wants more control and the org very well could be handcuffed due to how much Mike Brown likes to have his control and not change things.
In fact, many believe that a new coach would have less power than Marvin has had, so the results might be worse.
Mike Brown does want to win a championship, but he wants to do it on his terms. Being an owner comes with some arrogance and confidence that you know and have what it takes to be successful even when your customers might disagree with you.

It's feeling more and more like this is more on Marvin's terms of whether he wants to stay because he wants/needs a certain level of control to achieve the next level of success.
And maybe he actually will succeed with more control, but I don't there there's much confidence at all from this fanbase that he would actually achieve it.

Even if he gets all the control he wants, he will still Marvin it down the drain.  This is our own little Catch 22.  One of them anyway.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 01:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Didn't say the thread was misplaced; I simply pointed out the countless threads we have on the same subject and we do not discuss football.

The subject of head coaching is a really hot topic at the moment, and seems extremely pertinent to the overall football discussion. I agree that the threads can get redundant at times, but there is a subforum to house them for now.
Reply/Quote