Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
A Blessing in Disguise ???
More balanced plays helps. Browning did it, Burrow can do it. Just need to stick to it. Even during games Burrow was in ( and healthy ), we would see things working and they would just go away from it. Burrow doesn't need to be in shotgun with 50+ passes for the Bengals to win. Run helps the pass. And guess what? helps the defense, too. When we aren't doing 3-5 and outs, they seem to play better, as well.

We did things today that should have been done all year. Likely too late to wake up.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
To be fair to Baltimore,  Pittsburgh and Cleveland, Jacksonville and Indianapolis defenses aren't in the same league as the AFCN.. and I hate saying that too.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This season we also never had an entirely healthy Burrow, CHase, Higgins, Boyd playing together in the same game that will affect game flow as well. Just as Joe started to recover from the calf, Tee goes out.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 06:58 PM)grampahol Wrote: To be fair to Baltimore,  Pittsburgh and Cleveland, Jacksonville and Indianapolis defenses aren't in the same league as the AFCN.. and I hate saying that too.. 

Yea, a healthy Burrow would have hung 45 on Indy today.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 06:53 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He didn't. They haven't run any plays they haven't run all year.

Jake (and not prompted) said we have a great play caller and scheme I’ve just got to do my job. He also said they are running better because the OL & TE’s are blocking their ass off. The run game is better plain and simple as the OL as a whole is playing much better. All this stupid mantra the offense has changed is ridiculous. Teams don’t have time to change the offense in the season. Now it’s a large playbook. Maybe they are tailoring it more to Jake ( and he said so) but it’s the same plays but with tweaks. The team on both sides is playing better and as Jonah Williams says playing looser.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 06:37 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Jake Browning cannot play from Joe Burrow’s playbook. I give the offensive coordinator major credit for installing plays Jake Browning can run successfully.

x2

To Jake’s credit though, he has this crazy ability to back pedal while being chased and finding some short or even solid gains via screens etc.

That said, doubt it would work against teams w solid D’s like the Stains and Turds
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 07:03 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Jake (and not prompted) said we have a great play caller and scheme I’ve just got to do my job. He also said they are running better because the OL & TE’s are blocking their ass off. The run game is better plain and simple as the OL as a whole is playing much better. All this stupid mantra the offense has changed is ridiculous. Teams don’t have time to change the offense in the season. Now it’s a large playbook. Maybe they are tailoring it more to Jake ( and he said so) but it’s the same plays but with tweaks. The team on both sides is playing better and as Jonah Williams says playing looser.

We're also running better because now we have a speed back to pair with Mixon. People are just glossing over the fact Brown was on IR
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 07:10 PM)Sled21 Wrote: We're also running better because now we have a speed back to pair with Mixon. People are just glossing over the fact Brown was on IR

He’s definitely given us a spark. As Jake said after the game it’s a great 1-2 punch
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 06:37 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Jake Browning cannot play from Joe Burrow’s playbook. I give the offensive coordinator major credit for installing plays Jake Browning can run successfully.

x2

Jake has this crazy ability to back pedal while being chased and finding some short or even solid gains via screens etc.

That said, doubt it would work against teams w solid D’s like the Stains and Turds
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 06:53 PM)grampahol Wrote: Maybe Joe will study Jake and learn how to do better with play action. That's something Jake seems very good at..almost Boomeresque.. 

Boomer was the King of PA but Jake is good at it.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 06:53 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Something is definitely different.  Even the defense played better today; they only allowed seven points.

I think the whole team has rallied around Jake after the Burrow injury.  They appear looser , confident, and having fun. Not so much before the injury.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
In no way would I suggest that Jake is better than Joe. Any statement like that would be asinine. However, I know what my eyes tell me. The Cincinnati Bengals are a better football team right now than they were before the Burrow injury.
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
I'll admit I was for tanking once Burrow went down.... but hey this is kinda fun.

Do I see us making the playoffs... maybe? Superbowl not a chance.

However if we do make the playoffs what a story for the 2023 Bengals.. injury riddled lost their star QB and a backup no one gave a shot to led them to the playoffs. That I can certainly rally around.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 07:23 PM)Science Friction Wrote: In no way would I suggest that Jake is better than Joe. Any statement like that would be asinine. However, I know what my eyes tell me. The Cincinnati Bengals are a better football team right now than they were before the Burrow injury.

Except for the 49ers game. They looked SICK
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 06:59 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yea, a healthy Burrow would have hung 45 on Indy today.

Unless he changed a bunch of those productive runs to unproductive pass attempts.  I hate saying it but .. I do think Joe chooses pass when there is an option quite a bit. 
Reply/Quote
The team without Burrow is better than we think.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It’s a very pleasant surprise for sure. The calling and execution look far more competent and ‘at ease’. Has a good grounding Jake, maybe just needed time to shine and show where all that early ball came from.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 07:58 PM)Goalpost Wrote: The team without Burrow is better than we think.

Yep, I think 98% of us felt like if Joe goes down, we're completely done. Just hasn't been the case. We've flourished.
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 06:58 PM)grampahol Wrote: To be fair to Baltimore,  Pittsburgh and Cleveland, Jacksonville and Indianapolis defenses aren't in the same league as the AFCN.. and I hate saying that too.. 

Yup that will be a test for Browning playing the best defenses.

We got to be able to run the ball on those teams as well.
Reply/Quote
In Burrows defense he has been injured every training camp when it is the best time to try to learn new stuff like going under center.
Reply/Quote