Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
A Blessing in Disguise ???
(12-10-2023, 07:51 PM)M.W. Wrote: Unless he changed a bunch of those productive runs to unproductive pass attempts.  I hate saying it but .. I do think Joe chooses pass when there is an option quite a bit. 

Well without Brown, and Mixon getting stoned at the los every down in the AFCN, whay was he supposed to do?
Reply/Quote
It's why I always balked when folks said this team "can't win" without Burrow. We have a good TEAM.

I do think JaMar is missing his supplier.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 08:08 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: In Burrows defense he has been injured every training camp when it is the best time to try to learn new stuff like going under center.

is it going to happen again?
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 08:35 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: is it going to happen again?

I don't think I ever heard an estimated timetable for recovery. Which seems odd.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 07:23 PM)Science Friction Wrote: In no way would I suggest that Jake is better than Joe. Any statement like that would be asinine. However, I know what my eyes tell me. The Cincinnati Bengals are a better football team right now than they were before the Burrow injury.

(12-10-2023, 07:58 PM)Goalpost Wrote: The team without Burrow is better than we think.

(12-10-2023, 08:03 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Yep, I think 98% of us felt like if Joe goes down, we're completely done. Just hasn't been the case. We've flourished.

No one in Paycor Stadium is happier the Bengals are winning than Joe Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 09:37 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: No one in Paycor Stadium is happier the Bengals are winning than Joe Burrow.

For real. People on some other $hit. This is Burrow's team. If anything, hopefully the coaching staff sees something that may need to change. This may not people a Super Bowl year, but this could be a great recalibration for next year, which I think it will be.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 09:51 PM)Destro Wrote: For real. People on some other $hit. This is Burrow's team. If anything, hopefully the coaching staff sees something that may need to change. This may not people a Super Bowl year, but this could be a great recalibration for next year, which I think it will be.

I agree with this. I think we'll just miss out on the playoffs, or be one and done if we do make it in, but I think this gives us a really good platform for next season.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 09:53 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: I agree with this. I think we'll just miss out on the playoffs, or be one and done if we do make it in, but I think this gives us a really good platform for next season.

I want to see Browning vs. the Browns in the last game before I decide if I think they are one and done. I think that game will matter for both teams and will go down as one of the best games this season. Browns D is nearly the best but they haven't seen C. Brown yet.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 09:53 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: I agree with this. I think we'll just miss out on the playoffs, or be one and done if we do make it in, but I think this gives us a really good platform for next season.

Yeah. Replace Nick Scott with bag of lima beans, more experience in the secondary. A couple of decent draft picks and FA, we are just looking on who to play in the AFC Championship. 
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 09:55 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I want to see Browning vs. the Browns in the last game before I decide if I think they are one and done. I think that game will matter for both teams and will go down as one of the best games this season. Browns D is nearly the best but they haven't seen C. Brown yet.

If we could get a favourable playoff matchup I wouldn't necessarily see us as one and done. But if we get in it's pretty likely to be as #7 I think. Which means #2 on the road, and I think that'll be KC or Miami. Tough ask beating KC (though they don't look like they did), and Miami against our secondary.... LOL
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 10:03 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: If we could get a favourable playoff matchup I wouldn't necessarily see us as one and done. But if we get in it's pretty likely to be as #7 I think. Which means #2 on the road, and I think that'll be KC or Miami. Tough ask beating KC (though they don't look like they did), and Miami against our secondary.... LOL

Yeah that's true lol, but KC is looking kinda beatable right now. I'd actually rather not face any other AFC-N team. Maybe Browning puts up 35 on the Dolphins and it's somehow enough lol
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 06:29 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They said in the presser they haven’t changed a thing. They’ve not changed the scheme. They are running the Cincy offense not one catered to Joe. Joe hates under center, seldom hunts out his TE. Joe needs to adapt not the coaches. It’s crystal clear. Now if you want to criticize the coaches for pandering too much to Joe so be it. And I’m not taking anything away from one of the NFL’s top QB’s but there’s some things that would help him if he’d adapt.

They can say they haven't changed anything but clearly they have. I've never seen so many moving pockets and screens in one game in my life. Legit i think they threw at least 6 screens today they hardly ever attempt 2. Its typically a swing pass but not much anymore.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 10:22 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: They can say they haven't changed anything but clearly they have. I've never seen so many moving pockets and screens in one game in my life. Legit i think they threw at least 6 screens today they hardly ever attempt 2. It’s typically a swing pass but not much anymore.

They throw screens all the time? What do you mean. They throw them as much as any team Goodberry says. They are doing things things that Jake is signing off on that Joe isn’t comfortable with.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 06:25 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Call me crazy, but could Joe's injury turn out to be a blessing in disguise in the long run? What I mean is that, without Burrow, the coaches were forced to redesign the offense around what best fits Browning's strengths. And that redesign could serve as a blueprint for the offense moving forward into 2024 and the impetus for a Superbowl run when Joe returns next season. I doubt we would have won the Jacksonville game with Joe at QB because we would have been running the same old stagnant sets that just weren't working. Also, this new offensive design has allowed a guy like Chase Brown to display his explosive offensive talents, which , in turn, has allowed Mixon to be more effective. The newfound running game has been huge in keeping defenses honest and allowing for us to hit some big plays downfield. None of this would have happened without the Burrow injury. Not only that, but the Bengals' defense seems to be re-energized with the resurgence of the offense.

It seems to me that he Burrow injury has had a domino effect which has made the team better prepared for a playoff run this season and poised to be a dominant force in the AFC , again, next season when Joe returns. Am I crazy for thinking this way?

I noted this in Weezy's thread. I think it's been good for the coaches, and I think it's good for Joe to see this offense operate without throwing it all over the yard. Last week, especially, the RPOs were mixed up nicely. Joe has a tendency to pass more on them, whereas Jake was doing both. I don't have the stats, but it seemed like he was almost half run/half pass on them at JAX. 

To your point about Brown, he hasn't been available much this year. Four weeks on IR, and I think he was limited two weeks prior. He's definitely a difference maker.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
^I’m sure there is a part of Joe that feels it’s HIS duty to carry this team on his back given how much he is paid now.

Perhaps someone needs to have a mature convo with him letting him know that we have other schemes that work too - other than him just being expected to make insane passes to Chase and Tee.

The pressure on him to get this city a SB win must be awful.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 10:34 PM)Whacked Wrote: ^I’m sure there is a part of Joe that feels it’s HIS duty to carry this team on his back given how much he is paid now.

Perhaps someone needs to have a mature convo with him letting him know that we have other schemes that work too - other than him just being expected to make insane passes to Chase and Tee.

yeah, I remember people trying ot argue the money doesn't change anything, please! Even if it has zero effect on Burrow it still has an effect on everyone else in the locker room. There could be a 1% greater chance that the team is depending on the rich man to pull through for them whereas they're doing anything they can to help the poorest guy on the team lol. The gap in Browning's few performances and Burrow might have done is not staggering, but he has to keep it up for seasons before they could be compared.

I don't think Burrow is really affected by pressure though, that is also why he performs well. Same with the best in any other sport.

I do think Burrow will be different next year after seeing Browning perform so well in his absence.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 10:34 PM)Whacked Wrote: ^I’m sure there is a part of Joe that feels it’s HIS duty to carry this team on his back given how much he is paid now.

I think that's a large part of it honestly. I mean, he IS the man, but he doesn't have to be every week. That's why I think this is good for him to see how the offense can produce within its structure, and realize he doesn't have to be Superman every game. There will be games where that is needed, and he can deliver. 

Side note: how cool was it that Joe gave his suite to Browning's family? Class gesture.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 07:24 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I'll admit I was for tanking once Burrow went down.... but hey this is kinda fun.

Do I see us making the playoffs... maybe?  Superbowl not a chance.

However if we do make the playoffs what a story for the 2023 Bengals.. injury riddled lost their star QB and a backup no one gave a shot to led them to the playoffs. That I can certainly rally around.

Why not a Super Bowl? Not saying its gonna happen, but playoff time I wouldn't rule it out. Lets just keep winning till the playoffs start first.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 06:25 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Call me crazy, but could Joe's injury turn out to be a blessing in disguise in the long run? What I mean is that, without Burrow, the coaches were forced to redesign the offense around what best fits Browning's strengths. And that redesign could serve as a blueprint for the offense moving forward into 2024 and the impetus for a Superbowl run when Joe returns next season. I doubt we would have won the Jacksonville game with Joe at QB because we would have been running the same old stagnant sets that just weren't working. Also, this new offensive design has allowed a guy like Chase Brown to display his explosive offensive talents, which , in turn, has allowed Mixon to be more effective. The newfound running game has been huge in keeping defenses honest and allowing for us to hit some big plays downfield. None of this would have happened without the Burrow injury. Not only that, but the Bengals' defense seems to be re-energized with the resurgence of the offense.

It seems to me that he Burrow injury has had a domino effect which has made the team better prepared for a playoff run this season and poised to be a dominant force in the AFC , again, next season when Joe returns. Am I crazy for thinking this way?

I...........................................................................................just don't get this place sometimes. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

Joe Burrow has led this team to a SB and AFCCG the last two years and there are post like this?

Come on, man...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 11:22 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I...........................................................................................just don't get this place sometimes. 

Joe Burrow has led this team to a SB and AFCCG the last two years and there are post like this?

Come on, man...

People have short memories. Like Burrow didn’t take down legit Super Bowl contenders in SF and BUF back-to-back weeks not that long ago.

Reply/Quote