Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
A Blessing in Disguise ???
(12-10-2023, 06:36 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: I do this a healthy Burrow, and we'd have been the #1 seed this year. The AFC has regressed in my opinion.

That happens when there are just a handful of healthy and available QBs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 09:53 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: I agree with this. I think we'll just miss out on the playoffs, or be one and done if we do make it in, but I think this gives us a really good platform for next season.

If browning continues to play like he has, and defense continues to be better against the run on defense, and continue getting rb production on offense… come playoff time, it might be a recipe no one wants to see.
Reply/Quote
Burrow is going to have to adapt and learn to play from under center and lean on a run game. It clearly helps everyone on offense. OC seems competent, Pollacks job maybe saved, Rb’s flashing.. Burrows offense has flaws. Burrow in Brownings offense, and we’d see this offenses true ceiling.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 11:22 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I...........................................................................................just don't get this place sometimes. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

Joe Burrow has led this team to a SB and AFCCG the last two years and there are post like this?

Come on, man...

[Image: giphy.gif]

I stand by my post 100%.  I think in Feb 2025 if we hoist a Lombardi in New Orleans, we might look back at the Burrow injury as a seminal moment that helped propel this team to their first SB win. Joe Burrow is the man. Make no mistake about it. But this setback might very well allow Joe to learn some things that will allow him to improve his game. It also allows the coaches to learn some things about what they can do better to improve team performance. And, last but not least, I think it allows the players to discover that they can still win NFL games without their elite quarterback. That has to instill confidence in the team , as a whole. They now know that they are more than just Joe Burrow. And we all are learning that we have a capable backup that can lead the team to wins.

Everyone is learning some important things that will benefit the team down the road. Many on here are learning that "tanking" is never a good idea. This team was never going to tank, no matter what. The Bengals are a good football team , with or without Joe Burrow. The players, coaches, and fans are all learning that. Everyone involved is better for acquiring that knowledge.  I stand by my original statement.  Without the Burrow injury I don't think we would be a 7-6 football team and still be in playoff contention. We'd be, at best, 6-7, maybe 5-8, and focused more on the draft than the playoffs.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 01:08 AM)Science Friction Wrote: I stand by my post 100%.  I think in Feb 2025 if we hoist a Lombardi in New Orleans, we might look back at the Burrow injury as a seminal moment that helped propel this team to their first SB win. Joe Burrow is the man. Make no mistake about it. But this setback might very well allow Joe to learn some things that will allow him to improve his game. It also allows the coaches to learn some things about what they can do better to improve team performance. And, last but not least, I think it allows the players to discover that they can still win NFL games without their elite quarterback. That has to instill confidence in the team , as a whole. They now know that they are more than just Joe Burrow. And we all are learning that we have a capable backup that can lead the team to wins.

Everyone is learning some important things that will benefit the team down the road. Many on here are learning that "tanking" is never a good idea. This team was never going to tank, no matter what. The Bengals are a good football team , with or without Joe Burrow. The players, coaches, and fans are all learning that. Everyone involved is better for acquiring that knowledge.  I stand by my original statement.  Without the Burrow injury I don't think we would be a 7-6 football team and still be in playoff contention. We'd be, at best, 6-7, maybe 5-8, and focused more on the draft than the playoffs.
I am not sure I can agree with your last 2 sentences. I'd like to know where you come up with that idea?
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 01:42 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I am not sure I can agree with your last 2 sentences. I'd like to know where you come up with that idea?

Well, let me take back at least part of that. We probably beat the lowly Steelers , even with our bad Burrow offense,  but we likely lose to the Jags. We might still be 7-6 but we still probably wouldn't have seen much Chase Brown and our offense wouldn't be as good as it is right now with the effective  1-2 punch of Brown and Mixon. I could see us at 6-7 or 7-6 without the Burrow injury. I think we needed these lessons. I think we are a better ball club because of having to find our way without Joe.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 11:35 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: If browning continues to play like he has, and defense continues to be better against the run on defense, and continue getting rb production on offense… come playoff time, it might be a recipe no one wants to see.

We'll have to see. I'm not writing us off, I just think a backup QB and a non-shutdown defence isn't the recipe for the success... but if we get in, I'm certainly confident we'll play hard, and we may see the defence really step it up when it matters. They certainly have the past two seasons.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 03:36 AM)Science Friction Wrote: Well, let me take back at least part of that. We probably beat the lowly Steelers , even with our bad Burrow offense,  but we likely lose to the Jags. We might still be 7-6 but we still probably wouldn't have seen much Chase Brown and our offense wouldn't be as good as it is right now with the effective  1-2 punch of Brown and Mixon. I could see us at 6-7 or 7-6 without the Burrow injury. I think we needed these lessons. I think we are a better ball club because of having to find our way without Joe.

The offense for Joe and Jake is the same. They are utilizing the portions they like and Jake likes. Joe hates under center. Joe likes to force feed the WR. He checks out of run plays. He takes a lot chances that many times produce incredible results. The mantra that the coaches offensively had a light come on or are working harder to be successful is truly laughable. The offense and entire team is playing better starting with an OL that gave up no sacks.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 06:29 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They said in the presser they haven’t changed a thing. They’ve not changed the scheme. They are running the Cincy offense not one catered to Joe. Joe hates under center, seldom hunts out his TE. Joe needs to adapt not the coaches. It’s crystal clear. Now if you want to criticize the coaches for pandering too much to Joe so be it. And I’m not taking anything away from one of the NFL’s top QB’s but there’s some things that would help him if he’d adapt.

Maybe the scheme has not changed but the play calling certainly has.  It's called running the football.  Also, they finally realized there is something called a screen to offset the pass rush (something I scream at my tv every week).
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 10:26 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The offense for Joe and Jake is the same. They are utilizing the portions they like and Jake likes. Joe hates under center. Joe likes to force feed the WR. He checks out of run plays. He takes a lot chances that many times produce incredible results. The mantra that the coaches offensively had a light come on or are working harder to be successful is truly laughable. The offense and entire team is playing better starting with an OL that gave up no sacks.

Well.. not really. Bengals have run more heavy personnel packages since Jake Browning took over. Alot more 2 TE sets, more 6th OL, more 2 back sets etc. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I submit a motion to anyone who posts a Burrow VS Browning thread lol

We don’t do that here

*Black Panther meme*
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 10:44 AM)Synric Wrote: Well.. not really. Bengals have run more heavy personnel packages since Jake Browning took over. Alot more 2 TE sets, more 6th OL, more 2 back sets etc. 

Yes to alleviate him having to make the protection calls
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 06:33 PM)Housh Wrote: He’s lying

We all have eyes

He’s running more

He’s calling more short shit and there is waaaaay more under center play action

Is he really lying?  Do you have any record of how many runs are sent in from the sideline that Joe Burrow audibles out of?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 10:35 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Maybe the scheme has not changed but the play calling certainly has.  It's called running the football.  Also, they finally realized there is something called a screen to offset the pass rush (something I scream at my tv every week).

Yep we’ve been one of the highest screening teams the entire season from the start and last year. It’s not new.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 11:25 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Yes to alleviate him having to make the protection calls

I think that's what has helped Jake more than anything. Just let him play loose and not have to worry about all of that.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 11:43 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I think that's what has helped Jake more than anything. Just let him play loose and not have to worry about all of that.

Interesting after the game he said this scheme is great if I go through my reads and read the coverages it’s easy. I’ve just got to do my job.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 11:47 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Interesting after the game he said this scheme is great if I go through my reads and read the coverages it’s easy. I’ve just got to do my job.

Right, and he's done well. With more PT, I'd bet he would be good at calling the protections too. This guy has never played meaningful football in the NFL. It's great to watch!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote