Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
A New Linebacker Issue
Yesterday while most of Bengaldom was lamenting Andrew Whitworth going to Los Angeles for big bucks and eating Tums like candy after hearing Kevin Zeitler wasn't even given an offer by Cincinnati to stay, Karlos Dansby quietly re-signed with the Arizona Cardinals.

No, I didn't notice either.

Yes, he's Arizona's version of Cincinnati's Orien "Boomerang" Harris but I digress.

Karlos Dansby took a lot of snaps for the Bengals last season at SAM and, at least according to the depth chart, the other two SAM linebackers are Marquis Flowers and PJ Dawson. Are either of these two players ready for prime time or should the Bengals look to the draft or see who is left on the steaming garbage pile of second-day free agency rejects? DeMarcus Ware is available along with Connor Barwin, Elvis Dumervil, and others who might be a short term solution at SAM.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I didn't hear about Dansby either. Good Lord, what have we done? Time to take the tarp off my doomsday foxhole and hunker down. We are officially going into rebuild mode. Damnit, I am out of MRE's.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 08:22 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yesterday while most of Bengaldom was lamenting Andrew Whitworth going to Los Angeles for big bucks and eating Tums like candy after hearing Kevin Zeitler wasn't even given an offer by Cincinnati to stay, Karlos Dansby quietly re-signed with the Arizona Cardinals.

No, I didn't notice either.

Yes, he's Arizona's version of Cincinnati's Orien "Boomerang" Harris but I digress.

Karlos Dansby took a lot of snaps for the Bengals last season at SAM and, at least according to the depth chart, the other two SAM linebackers are Marquis Flowers and PJ Dawson. Are either of these two players ready for prime time or should the Bengals look to the draft or see who is left on the steaming garbage pile of second-day free agency rejects? DeMarcus Ware is available along with Connor Barwin, Elvis Dumervil, and others who might be a short term solution at SAM.

(03-10-2017, 08:35 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I didn't hear about Dansby either. Good Lord, what have we done? Time to take the tarp off my doomsday foxhole and hunker down. We are officially going into rebuild mode. Damnit, I am out of MRE's.

Guenther already stated a few weeks back that vigil was going to be our starting sam lb.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 08:39 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Guenther already stated a few weeks back that vigil was going to be our starting sam lb.

Ah, thank you!  So the Bengals are going to play with two linebackers:  Vontaze Burfict, Nick Vigil, and Ray Maualuga. Cool
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 08:43 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Ah, thank you!  So the Bengals are going to play with two linebackers:  Vontaze Burfict, Nick Vigil, and Ray Maualuga. Cool

well imo we would cut malaluga and put vinny rey in that spot. We play 4-2-5 over 75 percent of the time anyways so rey could get this 10+12 snaps a game over malaluga. Leaving vigil and burfict to play lb in the 4-2-5.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 08:43 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Ah, thank you!  So the Bengals are going to play with two linebackers:  Vontaze Burfict, Nick Vigil, and Ray Maualuga. Cool

Hilarious

Reply/Quote
Yes, Dansby led the team with 114 tackles. But, since hardly anyone around here ever noticed, we really shouldn't miss him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It's Vigil time folks. Dansby was garbage anyway. I didn't want him back, we just need to cut Rey and draft a younger thumper at MLB.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 09:25 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, Dansby led the team with 114 tackles.  But, since hardly anyone around here ever noticed, we really shouldn't miss him.

He had definitely lost a step but wasn't near as bad as some indicated.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 09:31 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: It's Vigil time folks. Dansby was garbage anyway. I didn't want him back, we just need to cut Rey and draft a younger thumper at MLB.

People keep saying that Dansby was garbage, but he did lead the team in tackles.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 09:33 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: People keep saying that Dansby was garbage, but he did lead the team in tackles.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Wasn't he also the lb who played the most snaps? If so, invalid argument.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 09:36 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong. Wasn't he also the lb who played the most snaps? If so, invalid argument.

How so?  All that means is that the guy was productive when he was on the field.  The only argument that is invalid, is the one stating that he was "garbage".

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 09:41 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How so?  All that means is that the guy was productive when he was on the field.  The only argument that is invalid, is the one stating that he was "garbage".

I wouldn't call Dansby garbage but his best days are behind him for sure. He's easily replaced if this were a normal team.

Problem is Mike "cheap" Brown won't spend any of his pocket errr rollover money on FA's.
Reply/Quote
With his flaws, Dansby one of the best strong sign LBs we have had even in his later years and 10 times better than Rey M who will be re-signed with Peko while Bodine is extended

Cardinals have a way better team and shot at Super Bowl than stupid pathetic Bengals.

Please trade Andy- he is too good a guy to face what is coming next year.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 09:56 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I wouldn't call Dansby garbage but his best days are behind him for sure. He's easily replaced if this were a normal team.

Problem is Mike "cheap" Brown won't spend any of his pocket errr rollover money on FA's.

I'm not trying to say that we should have spent money to keep him around, just debunking the myth that he was "garbage".  For sure, he's over the hill.  His speed, strength and reflexes have all seen better days, but his mind is still definitely in tact.  I'm all for Vigil getting his opportunity, as well as drafting other high quality LBs to solidify the position.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
When I first heard he signed with Arizona, I was actually happy and was interested to see what contract he got. I believe his best days are behind him and wasn't worthy of re-signing even though I thought he wasn't as bad as people thought he was. I didn't realize he led the team in tackles. We may miss him more than we realize, but it really is time to let Vigil be the starter and roll with him.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 09:41 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How so?  All that means is that the guy was productive when he was on the field.  The only argument that is invalid, is the one stating that he was "garbage".

Comparing tackles to other lbs with less snap counts makes it invalid. 

Reply/Quote
This is probly one of the reasons they haven't just cut Rey M...

We could roll with Burfict Vinney Rey and Vigil Having Rey M take a few thumper snaps for V Rey could help..

If we don't find a replacement before the season
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 10:33 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Comparing tackles to other lbs with less snap counts makes it invalid. 

If we weren't paying Rey Hockaloogie to do nothing but show up to training camp out of shape, the loss of Dansby would mean nothing.  As it stands now, we are paying a waterboy 3.5 million, and Dansby at 113 years old is ten times the player 58 is......and fifteen times the professional.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 09:33 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: People keep saying that Dansby was garbage, but he did lead the team in tackles.

Ah, the classic Landon Johnson debate.

Leading a team in tackles isn't a big deal unless it's some insane amount of tackles. Somebody has to lead the team in tackles every season. That doesn't mean they're a good player.

Leading the team in some sort of splash play statistic is way more meaningful. Someone gets a tackle on almost every play in football. It's a mundane stat.
Reply/Quote