Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A bigger sample size
(10-07-2020, 06:53 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I always liked him coming out of the draft, even if I felt like they reached for him a bit.  Feel bad for Uzo.  On the subject of TEs...we seem to throw Cethan Carter one 25 yard pass a year, and he catches it.  Should he get more opportunities?  He feels like the Rex Burkhead of TEs...valuable on STs, minimally used on the offense.  

Maybe it's a Nebraska thing....
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 11:29 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Kinda reminds me of Gresham..  never clutch when it counted. Productive but never clutch. while at it, put Randy in this category too.

In the SD playoff game. Gresh had the best game of any receiver we've had since the 80s.

He played in 3 playoff games and led the team in receptions in 2 of them 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 11:29 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Kinda reminds me of Gresham.. never clutch when it counted. Productive but never clutch. while at it, put Randy in this category too.

If Sample ever has a 700+ yard season I’ll shit in my hat.

I’m glad he’s shown some flashes of being a capable pass catcher, but he looks SO SLOW to me on most plays. He’ll never get many YAC. I just hope his blocking makes up for it.

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 11:54 PM)jason Wrote: Still think DK Metcalf would've looked wonderful in stripes.

You ain’t outmuscling that dude...

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 12:40 AM)bfine32 Wrote: In the SD playoff game. Gresh had the best game of any receiver we've had since the 80s.

Huh? Marvin Jones had 8 rec for 130 yds and set a franchise record in that game.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 12:40 AM)bfine32 Wrote: In the SD playoff game. Gresh had the best game of any receiver we've had since the 80s.

I'm missing something here...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 10:36 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Faceguarding isn't in the rulebook anymore.

Well, there you go because that was a text book example of it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 12:54 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If Sample ever has a 700+ yard season I’ll shit in my hat.

I’m glad he’s shown some flashes of being a capable pass catcher, but he looks SO SLOW to me on most plays. He’ll never get many YAC. I just hope his blocking makes up for it.

Just his body type. Uzomah looks to me like he's running in molasses, but he moves the chains.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 12:54 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If Sample ever has a 700+ yard season I’ll shit in my hat.

He is more of a complete TE and not as much of a pure receiving TE, but he could have a couple big games and make you "shit in your hat".  
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 08:38 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He is more of a complete TE and not as much of a pure receiving TE, but he could have a couple big games and make you "shit in your hat".  

A couple big games isn’t getting him to 700 yds. Which is why I thought the comparison to Gresham was a bad one. Especially when a “big game” for him is like 45 yds.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 12:54 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If Sample ever has a 700+ yard season I’ll shit in my hat.

I see Sample as petering out consistently, at 600 yards.

But if you add 5 TDs to that, plus his superior blocking, we have a better player than Gresham ever was.

He does look slow though LOL but he seemingly gets open and aside from the one through his hands, we've seen excellent hands from him thus far.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 11:54 PM)jason Wrote: Still think DK Metcalf would've looked wonderful in stripes.

I agree, and many others would look nice in place of Ross, Price, Fisher, Ced and all the blown mid round pics over the years. But every poor decision led us to Burrow, that's the only way to look at it now. The only one worth going back to change would be Mahomes instead of Ross. 
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 06:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In game #2 against Cleveland Drew Sample played 58% of the offensive snaps.  It was the first time in his 11 NFL games that he had played more than half of the offensive snaps in a game.

In the last two games he has played more than 85% of the offensive snaps.

I realize that this increase is due mainly to Uzomah going down with injury, but the offense has looked better with Sample in there.  I am sure he is not the only reason, but he certainly is not holding them back.

Sample is on pace to have 48 receptions which would be the most by a Bengal TE since Eifert had 52 five years ago.  Only 5 TEs in Bengal history have had more than 48 receptions in a season (Dan Ross, Rodney Holeman, Tony McGee, Jermaine Gresham, Eifert)

Wonderful subject, making 5 star thread for it.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 09:29 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I see Sample as petering out consistently, at 600 yards.

But if you add 5 TDs to that, plus his superior blocking, we have a batter player than Gresham ever was.

He does look slow though LOL but he seemingly gets open and aside from the one through his hands, we've seen excellent hands from him thus far.

Yep

Sample is gonna be a 40-50 rec. 500-600 yard type of guy. And be a very good blocker.

And that's all we need. He doesn't have to be a Gronkowski 2.0 to be an excellent piece in our puzzle.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 11:29 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Kinda reminds me of Gresham..  never clutch when it counted. Productive but never clutch. while at it, put Randy in this category too.

It always amazes me how some fans will bend over backwards to shit on a Bengal player.

No matter how well he is playing they will try to find one play to complain about and then define his his entire CAREER by that one play.

Bullock hit a game winning 44 yd FG against Tampa Bay in 2018 with no time left on the clock.

In 2018 he tied the game against the Steelers with a FG with 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

In 2018 he hit a go ahead FG against the Dolphins with 3 minutes left.

He hit a 51 yd FG to give us a 2 point lead over the Lions in 2017 with less than 5 minutes left in the game.

Last year he hit a 43 yard FG with less than five minutes left to give us the lead against the Bills.

Since joining the Bengals Bullock is 14-15 on FGs with less than a minute left before halftime with his only miss from 53 yards.

Bullock has hit 28 of 32 FGs for the Bengals in the fourth quarter, but since he missed one he is "never clutch"

Sample has been targeted 4 times on third down and has converted 75% of the time, but since it is not 100% he is "never clutch"

C'mon man.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 09:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It always amazes me how some fans will bend over backwards to shit on a Bengal player.

No matter how well he is playing they will try to find one play to complain about and then define his his entire CAREER by that one play.

Bullock hit a game winning 44 yd FG against Tampa Bay in 2018 with no time left on the clock.

In 2018 he tied the game against the Steelers with a FG with 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

In 2018 he hit a go ahead FG against the Dolphins with 3 minutes left.

He hit a 51 yd FG to give us a 2 point lead over the Lions in 2017 with less than 5 minutes left in the game.

Last year he hit a 43 yard FG with less than five minutes left to give us the lead against the Bills.

Bullock has hit 28 of 32 FGs for the Bengals in the fourth quarter, but since he missed one he is "never clutch"

C'mon man.

He missed 2 (against the Texans in 2016), but I'm definitely on your side.

Again, people use the cramp as, "an excuse," (IE; he faked it) for his miss; sorry, no amount of fakeness would allow him to miss a kick THAT MUCH, in the manner it did.

That ball was not hit properly and it was because of a cramp, period.

I'm still not a fan of Fat Randy (never have been), but the numbers don't lie and he's consistently been hitting them better and better, as time goes on.

Since 2017 (when we drafted Elliot), he's 76/87, for a 87.4% FG percentage, with a long of 57.
Since 2017, Elliot is 81/96, for an 84.4% FG percentage with a long of 61. His longest other than the 61, was a 56 yarder.

Fat Randy missed his first-ever clutch kick with us, has made EVERY ONE since, aside from the Chargers game this year.
Elliott made his first-ever clutch kick and has missed a bunch since.

So why are people still clamoring that we made a mistake in keeping one over the other? Because of 1 kick for each?

This all being said, Cade York in 2 years, better be done.

EDIT* Fat Randy also leads the league in made FGs; if his % stays high and he leads the league by the end of the season, we could be looking at PB/AP for him, as bizarre as that sounds.
Reply/Quote
40-50 catches for 400-500 yards would be fine as long as he keeps converting third downs the way he has so far (75%).

He will never be a "WR type" TE but I think a lot of fans underestimate his agility and athleticism. He ranked in the top ten among TEs in a lot of events at the combine

5th in 3 come
5th in 60 yd shuttle
6th in short shuttle
8th in vertical
9th in broad jump
9th in 40 yd dash
Reply/Quote
If Drew Sample has 48 receptions, he'll have more than he had in all of his 4 years of college (46).

Sample is on pace to currently have a Kroft-Uzomah type year of 40+ receptions for 400-500 yards.
He'll be on that Eifert-Gresham tier if the norm ends up being more like Games 2 and 4 on a consistent basis.

Btw, no one else picked up on "Sample" size on a thread about Drew Sample?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 10:16 AM)ochocincos Wrote: If Drew Sample has 48 receptions, he'll have more than he had in all of his 4 years of college (46).

Sample is on pace to currently have a Kroft-Uzomah type year of 40+ receptions for 400-500 yards.
He'll be on that Eifert-Gresham tier if the norm ends up being more like Games 2 and 4 on a consistent basis.

Faulk did and I did too, just didn't write about it Wink
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 10:16 AM)ochocincos Wrote: If Drew Sample has 48 receptions, he'll have more than he had in all of his 4 years of college (46).

Fred likes tapping into his inner Hobspin. I knew what the thread was about the second I read it. 
Reply/Quote