Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A bigger sample size
(10-07-2020, 11:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So you are going to say Sample is not clutch over a couple of hard catches that he didn't come down with already eh?

Not ready to write that in stone just yet Bengalitis... Mellow

Not yet.... but so far it's looking that way.  With more playing time and more passes hopefully he'll be solid hands when needed. Since he was billed as a hybrid TE, blocker & catcher.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 08:48 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: A couple big games isn’t getting him to 700 yds. Which is why I thought the comparison to Gresham was a bad one. Especially when a “big game” for him is like 45 yds.

He has the same number of receptions (12) as Tee Higgins and only two fewer than AJ Green, who they have tried everything to get involved.  

Those 12 receptions came in four games, and he has 100 yards.  Project that over a season and you have 48 receptions for 400 yards, but remember, he is now the #1 TE with Uzomah out injured.  If he even moves up from 12 receptions in four games to, say, 20 (an increase of just two receptions per game...not crazy) and he averaged 10 yards per reception, that would put him at exactly 700 yards for the season.

I know he dropped a couple key balls last week, but I think the way Burrow attacks what defenses will give him (the middle of the field), I just don't think it is that crazy a possibility.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 11:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He has the same number of receptions (12) as Tee Higgins and only two fewer than AJ Green, who they have tried everything to get involved.  

Those 12 receptions came in four games, and he has 100 yards.  Project that over a season and you have 48 receptions for 400 yards, but remember, he is now the #1 TE with Uzomah out injured.  If he even moves up from 12 receptions in four games to, say, 20 (an increase of just two receptions per game...not crazy) and he averaged 10 yards per reception, that would put him at exactly 700 yards for the season.

I know he dropped a couple key balls last week, but I think the way Burrow attacks what defenses will give him (the middle of the field), I just don't think it is that crazy a possibility.  

I just don’t see him putting up more yds than Gresham or Eifert ever did in a single season, but we’ll see...

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 11:54 PM)jason Wrote: Still think DK Metcalf would've looked wonderful in stripes.

Yeah, still would of liked Metcalf over Sample but is just nice to see Sample coming around some.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 11:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I just don’t see him putting up more yds than Gresham or Eifert ever did in a single season, but we’ll see...

It could just be a numbers game.  We are on pace to throw the ball a lot more times than we ever did when Gresham and Eifert were in their prime with us.

But in general I agree with you.  Sample does not have to be a big receiving threat.  All he has to do is make the catches when everyone else is covered and Burrow has to check down to him. 
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 10:58 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Not yet.... but so far it's looking that way.  With more playing time and more passes hopefully he'll be solid hands when needed. Since he was billed as a hybrid TE, blocker & catcher.

Sample has been better catching the ball than AJ Green this season...
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 11:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He has the same number of receptions (12) as Tee Higgins and only two fewer than AJ Green, who they have tried everything to get involved.  

Its not a crazy possibility, nice post. We will see, but he could surprise people. TE's aren't naturally burners anyways, don't get
what some are saying here. They are supposed to be big with good hands and can block, that is what Sample is.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 11:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I just don’t see him putting up more yds than Gresham or Eifert ever did in a single season, but we’ll see...

Burrow has shown that he will take the best matchup and he seems to have decent chemistry.  While I was still holding out hope for Ross and that Burrow would find a way to get him involved, it seems like the organization has given up on him.  

Right now, I think Higgins is due to bust out.  He would have had over 100 yards if he held on to a couple more balls.  He seems to be gaining in confidence, and if you get Higgins to the level Boyd is playing, Sample continuing on his trajectory, and Mixon/Gio keeping the offense balanced, you might have something.  Add Tate to move some chains and a jump ball in the end zone:)
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 01:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Its not a crazy possibility, nice post. We will see, but he could surprise people. TE's aren't naturally burners anyways, don't get
what some are saying here. They are supposed to be big with good hands and can block, that is what Sample is.

Sample has improved this year with his drive blocking 
Last year I watched him.get pushed back a bit

Pass catching wise he's caught for the most part easy cbeck throws. He showed atheletism on that one handed catch.
I need to see him catch the ball in traffic now while contested.
Needs to learn how to.high point the ball. 
I can see him as a Kyle Rudolph type of TE. He could be useful
In those jumbo sets in the redzone .Have him chip down and release out.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 01:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Its not a crazy possibility, nice post. We will see, but he could surprise people. TE's aren't naturally burners anyways, don't get

And despite the INT, he generally has very good hands.  Burrow clearly has trust in him.  We don't need Sample to make 50 yard receptions.  We need 10 YPR and a high catch/target %.  
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 01:27 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Sample has improved this year with his drive blocking 
Last year I watched him.get pushed back a bit

Pass catching wise he's caught for the most part easy cbeck throws. He showed atheletism on that one handed catch.
I need to see him catch the ball in traffic now while contested.
Needs to learn how to.high point the ball. 
I can see him as a Kyle Rudolph type of TE. He could be useful
In those jumbo sets in the redzone .Have him chip down and release out.

Feel the same, all I know is the sky is the limit with him and Burrow having that chemistry out there. Both are young and will find
their knitch. Just takes time, they have only played 4 games together. The play calling also got much better the last two games.

Need to catch those balls in the red zone, if we do we would of scored about 28 more points the last two games, crazy.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 01:27 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: And despite the INT, he generally has very good hands.  Burrow clearly has trust in him.  We don't need Sample to make 50 yard receptions.  We need 10 YPR and a high catch/target %.  

Middle TE screen man, middle TE screen... Cool
Reply/Quote

Eifert didn't have a lot of yards for a pass catching TE.
He was the 13th highest TE in terms of yards the year he had his most, 615. Gronk that year had nearly double Eifert's yards (1176 vs 615).

Eifert's big value that year was TDs, at 13 (just 1 behind the league lead).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 01:27 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: And despite the INT, he generally has very good hands.  Burrow clearly has trust in him.  We don't need Sample to make 50 yard receptions.  We need 10 YPR and a high catch/target %.  

Sample has the 2nd-highest catch percentage of any receiver on the team I believe - 75%. 
Only Boyd is higher at 82.4%.

The other receivers:
Tate - 60%
Higgins - 54.5%
Green - 42.4%

If you include the RBs in the mix (I typically don't because they are typically getting receptions with mostly screens and very short routes):
Mixon - 86.7%
Bernard - 80%

With all of that said, you'll typically see a higher catch percentage the shorter the routes you typically run. Those that run the deeper routes tend to have a worse catch percentage.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 01:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Middle TE screen man, middle TE screen... Cool

I loved the quick misdirection screen.  Gives them something else to think about.  
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 01:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Eifert didn't have a lot of yards for a pass catching TE.
He was the 13th highest TE in terms of yards the year he had his most, 615. Gronk that year had nearly double Eifert's yards (1176 vs 615).

Eifert's big value that year was TDs, at 13 (just 1 behind the league lead).

I am NOT saying he needs to play TE, but when we go with 4 wide (or even 5) I could see Tate playing this role to move the chains and red zone.  
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 01:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Sample has the 2nd-highest catch percentage of any receiver on the team I believe - 75%. 
Only Boyd is higher at 82.4%.

The other receivers:
Tate - 60%
Higgins - 54.5%
Green - 42.4%

If you include the RBs in the mix (I typically don't because they are typically getting receptions with mostly screens and very short routes):
Mixon - 86.7%
Bernard - 80%

With all of that said, you'll typically see a higher catch percentage the shorter the routes you typically run. Those that run the deeper routes tend to have a worse catch percentage.

Absolutely true, but I will take some high % tosses to RBs that yield 10 yards over a bunch of 1 and 2 yard runs any day...although you still need to run the ball.  
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 01:56 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am NOT saying he needs to play TE, but when we go with 4 wide (or even 5) I could see Tate playing this role to move the chains and red zone.  

I'm really baffled how Tate only has 1 TD in 22 games and 47 receptions given his size, leaping ability, and hands. He was a big TD guy in college.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 02:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm really baffled how Tate only has 1 TD in 22 games and 47 receptions given his size, leaping ability, and hands. He was a big TD guy in college.

I think as the season goes on Tate will.see more oppurtunities
In the red zone especially if defenses start keying on Boyd and Higgie Baby in the redzone
Reply/Quote
He’s been playing ok feel like people are just happy he has a pulse lol, I still don’t think he’s worth a 2nd round pick even if he’s a great blocker.

Chargers game- 1 Rec 7 yards - didn’t do much

Cleveland game 7 Rec 45 yards - by far his best game made a great one handed catch. Feel like it was more the game situation no one could get open deep so we just hit Sample underneath for short gains.

Philadelphia 1 rec 1 yard Didn’t do much

Jacksonville 3 rec 47 yards - has to catch that TD
Reply/Quote