Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A bigger sample size
(10-08-2020, 01:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sample has been better catching the ball than AJ Green this season...

That's a conversation ender. Hehe Joe
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 06:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am liking the Sample pick now, nice thread. He is big and is running good routes, has great hands and can block.

This also has something to do with Burrow as he likes to throw to TE's and RB's and just is smart with his throws and hits the 
open guy. Doesn't take away from Sample though, think he can be really good if he stays healthy.

As accurate a Quarterback as Burrow is,you could say he can throw receivers open.For instance Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady.He can make an average TE or WR look way above average.I’m not saying Burrow is perfect but he does have accuracy.Especially if he has a clean pocket.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 10:16 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Btw, no one else picked up on "Sample" size on a thread about Drew Sample?

WTF, man? Post #17?

It's like that EVH thread i made and someone else made one 2 minutes later and all the post go in that thread...

#dunlapwhine

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 06:00 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: WTF, man? Post #17?

It's like that EVH thread i made and someone else made one 2 minutes later and all the post go in that thread...

#dunlapwhine

Sorry, didn't scroll down far enough before I replied. I assumed someone would pick up on it before Post 17.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 01:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Sample has the 2nd-highest catch percentage of any receiver on the team I believe - 75%. 
Only Boyd is higher at 82.4%.

The other receivers:
Tate - 60%
Higgins - 54.5%
Green - 42.4%

If you include the RBs in the mix (I typically don't because they are typically getting receptions with mostly screens and very short routes):
Mixon - 86.7%
Bernard - 80%

With all of that said, you'll typically see a higher catch percentage the shorter the routes you typically run. Those that run the deeper routes tend to have a worse catch percentage.

See what happens when you pass to the Slot, TE and RB's more...

All of Boyd, Sample and Mixon and Gio have great hands.

Thanks for this Ocho, I don't have PFF nor will I get it so I really appreciate it. ThumbsUp

(10-08-2020, 01:55 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I loved the quick misdirection screen.  Gives them something else to think about.  

That screen to Gio in the Eagles game that went for like 30 yards was an awesome play call and executed to perfection.

Only the Tackles and Hopkins stayed and blocked for Burrow while the Guards and WR's and Gio went out.

It is in the JT O'Sullivan thread about Burrow if you missed it. Made me feel much better about Taylor and Callahan.

BTW, even Price had a great block on this play...
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 05:15 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: That's a conversation ender. Hehe Joe

Rock On

Hope this changes though and AJ starts lighting it up like the old AJ.

(10-08-2020, 05:52 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: As accurate a Quarterback as Burrow is,you could say he can throw receivers open.For instance Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady.He can make an average TE or WR look way above average.I’m not saying Burrow is perfect but he does have accuracy.Especially if he has a clean pocket.

Shit, Burrow has accuracy without a clean pocket most of the time. He still hasn't been able to throw AJ open for some reason...

Even with a clean pocket.

(10-08-2020, 06:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Sorry, didn't scroll down far enough before I replied. I assumed someone would pick up on it before Post 17.

I got it in the first post responding to Fred, I just don't like talking the other size with Fred lol
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 01:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Eifert didn't have a lot of yards for a pass catching TE.
He was the 13th highest TE in terms of yards the year he had his most, 615. Gronk that year had nearly double Eifert's yards (1176 vs 615).

Eifert's big value that year was TDs, at 13 (just 1 behind the league lead).

I never said he did. I said I don’t think Sample matches what him and Gresham topped out at.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 02:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm really baffled how Tate only has 1 TD in 22 games and 47 receptions given his size, leaping ability, and hands. He was a big TD guy in college.

ZT needs to stop calling only fades for him.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 09:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: ZT needs to stop calling only fades for him.

Wouldn't a nice post route inside the Safety be a go to route with Tate?

I agree, too many fades. All of our dropped TD's were fades the last couple weeks it seems. Tough catches for all the guys, Sample,
Higgins and Tate. But I guess only Boyd and Thomas own the inside of the field. Don't care for this Zac and Brian, change it up.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 09:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: ZT needs to stop calling only fades for him.

I'm not a big fan of the fade no matter who the target is.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 10:13 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm not a big fan of the fade no matter who the target is.

Such a low percentage play. I don’t understand the fascination coaches have with them.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 10:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Such a low percentage play. I don’t understand the fascination coaches have with them.

Im not a fan of a fade route myself. The margain of room is so small . If a CB is good at playing tbrough the hands of the WR 8 times out of 10 its a failed attempt. Plus the CB can use that boundry as a 12th man 
It really only works if their is distinct size advantage between target and defender.
ZT isnt smart enough to use Tate on any route in the end zone but a fade.
Memo to Coach Taylor you can run Tate on a drag route...pivot route...quick slant...pick route 
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 11:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I just don’t see him putting up more yds than Gresham or Eifert ever did in a single season, but we’ll see...

Who was the guy who kept arguing that we needed an elite QB as he'd elevate those around him, throw open receivers etc and that wasn't Dalton?
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 10:02 AM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: Who was the guy who kept arguing that we needed an elite QB as he'd elevate those around him, throw open receivers etc and that wasn't Dalton?

What point are you trying to make exactly? Because it would be pretty silly to suggest Burrow isn’t already making the guys around him better. Boyd for example is on pace for almost 1300 yds.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 08:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: See what happens when you pass to the Slot, TE and RB's more...

All of Boyd, Sample and Mixon and Gio have great hands.

Thanks for this Ocho, I don't have PFF nor will I get it so I really appreciate it. ThumbsUp

That screen to Gio in the Eagles game that went for like 30 yards was an awesome play call and executed to perfection.

Only the Tackles and Hopkins stayed and blocked for Burrow while the Guards and WR's and Gio went out.

It is in the JT O'Sullivan thread about Burrow if you missed it. Made me feel much better about Taylor and Callahan.

BTW, even Price had a great block on this play...

This data didn't come from PFF lol. It came from pro-football-reference, a free site  Smirk
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 09:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I never said he did. I said I don’t think Sample matches what him and Gresham topped out at.

Ok. I guess what I'm saying is Eifert maxed out at 615. That's not some elite number in today's NFL for TEs.
I think Sample can hit that.
Not sure Sample will ever get into the 800+ range though, which is where the typical top TEs are in the league nowadays.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 10:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What point are you trying to make exactly? Because it would be pretty silly to suggest Burrow isn’t already making the guys around him better. Boyd for example is on pace for almost 1300 yds.

That is mainly because we are on pace to throw the ball over 700 times this year.  Based on yards per team attempt Boyd would have had 301 yds after 177 attempts at last years pace.  This year he has 320 after 177 attempts.  Really not much difference at all.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 10:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What point are you trying to make exactly? Because it would be pretty silly to suggest Burrow isn’t already making the guys around him better. Boyd for example is on pace for almost 1300 yds.

You're comparing Sample to Gresham and Eifert but Sample's numbers are going to get a boost from having Burrow at QB.

(FWIW if Sample's stats as a starter with Burrow were extrapolated over a full season he'd get 752 yards)
Reply/Quote

Sample had that fade timed perfectly. It was a great release off the line which he beat Myles Jack at the Line and was wide open he timed his jump well but the ball went through his hands. It was a very good route.

The second one was an even better route. The Jaguars defense was showing single high pre-snap but rolled into a 2 high shell half a second before the snap. Sample read the coverage and the safety and flattened the top of his corner route into a zone to take away the angle for the safety and to give himself a chance at a low percentage jump ball. It was a very heads up play.

I can definitely see Sample growing as a receiving and becoming Cincy's Heath Miller who was an excellent blocker and big time chain mover. Miller only broke 600+ yards in 4 seasons during a 11 year career.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 11:33 AM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: You're comparing Sample to Gresham and Eifert but Sample's numbers are going to get a boost from having Burrow at QB.

(FWIW if Sample's stats as a starter with Burrow were extrapolated over a full season he'd get 752 yards)

Actually another poster did that (in a negative way) which is what I responded to in the first place. Sample is never going to be the pass catcher Gresham was. Guy went to 2 Pro Bowls.

Reply/Quote