Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
A good perspective of giving Tee the big money extention
(02-12-2024, 11:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This is bfine's out of the box that's going to happen:

We're tagging Tee

TEN's tagging Henry

We trade

We save $9 MIL

We cut Mixon save another $6 MIL
I'm going to one up you.  We tag Tee the Giants tag McKinley we trade and save about 3 million. cut mixon save 6 million and sign Elumenour for 7 million and have 2 left for Sample or Hudson. We get our new FS and a new RT( for a cpl yrs) and we bring back one of our TE's and maybe save a million.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 01:37 AM)pulses Wrote: Harrison and Wayne never made anywhere near 20-25 a year.....i don't think Manning even did till later on in his career......but nice try.

What an uninformed reply.  It isnt the dollar amount it is the percentage of the cap.  Seriously, how do you miss this?   Their Big 3 took up nearly 30% of their cap which is the same as Burrow, Tee and Chase would if all were given deals.   Dollar amount?  17 years later?   There is still time to delete this odd and rare L...

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 01:53 AM)casear2727 Wrote: What an uninformed reply.  It isnt the dollar amount it is the percentage of the cap.  Seriously, how do you miss this?   Their Big 3 took up nearly 30% of their cap which is the same as Burrow, Tee and Chase would if all were given deals.   Dollar amount?  17 years later?   There is still time to delete this odd and rare L...

Nothing uninformed about it. Percentage wise you may be correct but per year moneywise you were not....not deleting anything just have to agree to disagree. Now you can move along.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 01:37 AM)pulses Wrote: Harrison and Wayne never made anywhere near 20-25 a year.....i don't think Manning even did till later on in his career......but nice try.

They made the equivalent percentage wise for that moment in time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 06:06 AM)pulses Wrote: Nothing uninformed about it. Percentage wise you may be correct but per year moneywise you were not....not deleting anything just have to agree to disagree. Now you can move along.

Not trying to pile on but it absolutely has to be uninformed. You can't compare salaries/cap that are more than 2 generations apart with a bottom line dollar amount. You have to judge it by percentage of cap for each era. It's not even debatable. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 01:39 AM)pulses Wrote: I'm going to one up you.  We tag Tee the Giants tag McKinley we trade and save about 3 million. cut mixon save 6 million and sign Elumenour for 7 million and have 2 left for Sample or Hudson. We get our new FS and a new RT( for a cpl yrs) and we bring back one of our TE's and maybe save a million.

Well I mentioned TEN because of the Brian Callahan ties. He knows Tee and TEN need a WR#1. TEN has D-Hop but he's 32 years old and comes w/ a $17 MIL cap hit and he has an additional $10 MIL in Cap hit even after his contract expires. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
At this point I'd be open to tagging him and trading him + our for for an earlier 1st and 2nd this year. I think a deal like that would open up a ton of possibilities for the Bengals to start building a new identity without Higgins.

We could either get a ton of good offensive linemen. Depending on how the draft goes and who takes the trade...Brock Bowers. Hell, we could even get an offensive lineman round 1, then use the earlier 2nd to get Xavier Worthy--Who could be better than Higgins--and then go from there.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2024, 06:22 PM)Housh Wrote: You are NEVER gonna pay Tee 25M per and be mad that you did it, outside of him being injured.

Think about it.

If we have Tee the next 3-7 years and he never got injured you would probably view 25M per as a DISCOUNT.

The ONLY reason you'd be against paying Tee is his availability.

When he plays hes a #1. Every game Jamarr Chase is injured, Tee turns into a MONSTER.

Im sorry but I want that monster on the team. If its a bad deal in 3 years so be it. Itll look like a great deal when its 17-24 the bad guys, and Tee catches a jumpball over 2 people and ties it up.

The problem is Tee is injured A LOT. Love the guy and wish we could afford to keep him around while keeping Chase and upgrading 
the trenches but that is a big ask and honestly not realistic. You win games in the trenches and that is where we need to put the most
money. Extending Tee could honestly hurt this team more than some acknowledge.

I think we will Tag Tee this year but after that we need to let him go somewhere else because he is banged up so much.

Those hamstring injuries are bad injuries to have as well, they can crop up and plague a player for years.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2024, 06:22 PM)Housh Wrote: You are NEVER gonna pay Tee 25M per and be mad that you did it, outside of him being injured.

Think about it.

If we have Tee the next 3-7 years and he never got injured you would probably view 25M per as a DISCOUNT.

The ONLY reason you'd be against paying Tee is his availability.

When he plays hes a #1. Every game Jamarr Chase is injured, Tee turns into a MONSTER.

Im sorry but I want that monster on the team. If its a bad deal in 3 years so be it. Itll look like a great deal when its 17-24 the bad guys, and Tee catches a jumpball over 2 people and ties it up.

The question is how can you not take his huge injury history into consideration? It's not like all of a sudden he will be healthy from here on out. He has a long injury history particularly with his hamstring. 

I personally think we should tag and trade him and build this team up. There are alot of holes that need to be filled. 

I love Tee but I wouldnt bank on his health for the money he wants and his agent is a real pain in the ss and is going to go for the gusto. Lets not pull a Bastes and keep him for a year and then have nothing to show afterwards for it.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 06:33 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: At this point I'd be open to tagging him and trading him + our for for an earlier 1st and 2nd this year. I think a deal like that would open up a ton of possibilities for the Bengals to start building a new identity without Higgins.

We could either get a ton of good offensive linemen. Depending on how the draft goes and who takes the trade...Brock Bowers. Hell, we could even get an offensive lineman round 1, then use the earlier 2nd to get Xavier Worthy--Who could be better than Higgins--and then go from there.

I like Worthy but he is just to thin at like 172 lbs he'll get hammered in our division.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 06:55 PM)GodFather Wrote: The question is how can you not take his huge injury history into consideration? It's not like all of a sudden he will be healthy from here on out. He has a long injury history particularly with his hamstring. 

I personally think we should tag and trade him and build this team up. There are alot of holes that need to be filled. 

I love Tee but I wouldnt bank on his health for the money he wants and his agent is a real pain in the ss and is going to go for the gusto. Lets not pull a Bastes and keep him for a year and then have nothing to show afterwards for it.

Nice post GodFather, spot on. You have to take Tee's injury history into account, you just have to.

If we could Tag him and trade him to improve the trenches I would do it an instant and it would help the team more than keeping Tee long term
with his injury history in my opinion. Chase is the WR we need to keep.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 06:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The problem is Tee is injured A LOT. Love the guy and wish we could afford to keep him around while keeping Chase and upgrading 
the trenches but that is a big ask and honestly not realistic. You win games in the trenches and that is where we need to put the most
money. Extending Tee could honestly hurt this team more than some acknowledge.

I think we will Tag Tee this year but after that we need to let him go somewhere else because he is banged up so much.

Those hamstring injuries are bad injuries to have as well, they can crop up and plague a player for years.
And the bad thing about tagging him and letting him play this year is it could make his value even less if he gets hurt AGAIN in 2024. That's why you tag and trade him NOW because their will be several teams interested.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 07:18 PM)pulses Wrote: And the bad thing about tagging him and letting him play this year is it could make his value even less if he gets hurt AGAIN in 2024. That's why you tag and trade him NOW because their will be several teams interested.

Agreed, just saying what I think we will do. I would tag and trade Tee to improve the trenches myself. I just think we will tag him and keep 
him for this year and let him go the next.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 06:33 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: At this point I'd be open to tagging him and trading him + our for for an earlier 1st and 2nd this year. I think a deal like that would open up a ton of possibilities for the Bengals to start building a new identity without Higgins.

(02-13-2024, 07:18 PM)pulses Wrote: And the bad thing about tagging him and letting him play this year is it could make his value even less if he gets hurt AGAIN in 2024. That's why you tag and trade him NOW because their will be several teams interested.

We traded Billy Price in 2021, before this the last time the Bengals traded a player that wasnt demanding out was in 1972. Tag and trade is not a common scenario in the league and thinking that it is the plan for the most conservative, vanilla front office in NFL history is wild to me. It isnt impossible, but Id be shocked if it was even an option.

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 06:55 PM)GodFather Wrote: The question is how can you not take his huge injury history into consideration? It's not like all of a sudden he will be healthy from here on out. He has a long injury history particularly with his hamstring. 

What are your thoughts on Joe Burrow's contract? 

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 09:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What are your thoughts on Joe Burrow's contract? 

Couldn't they convert one of Burrow's years on his contract into a signing bonus and free up another 50 million? Giving us money to sign a stud DT and other pieces?
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 09:18 PM)pulses Wrote: Couldn't they convert one of Burrow's years on his contract into a signing bonus and free up another 50 million? Giving us money to sign a stud DT and other pieces?

Perhaps, but my point is many will bring up injury history when they don't want to sign a player. JB was injured when we signed him 

IMO, injury is part of the game. There's little doubt Tee has been dinged, but he's avoided major injury and I wouldn't consider him "damaged" or Injury-prone. 

WTS, I have 0 issue letting Tee walk, but it wouldn't be because of his injury history; it'd be because I want to use that $20 Mil to bring in a defensive stud such as Chris Jones. 

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 09:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps, but my point is many will bring up injury history when they don't want to sign a player. JB was injured when we signed him 

IMO, injury is part of the game. There's little doubt Tee has been dinged, but he's avoided major injury and I wouldn't consider him "damaged" or Injury-prone. 

WTS, I have 0 issue letting Tee walk, but it wouldn't be because of his injury history; it'd be because I want to use that $20 Mil to bring in a defensive stud such as Chris Jones. 

I totally agree....I mentioned to someone else and i'll bring it up here...I would even trade tee for Christian Barmore and pay him.....stud DT and young.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 08:46 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We traded Billy Price in 2021, before this the last time the Bengals traded a player that wasnt demanding out was in 1972.  Tag and trade is not a common scenario in the league and thinking that it is the plan for the most conservative, vanilla front office in NFL history is wild to me.  It isnt impossible, but Id be shocked if it was even an option.

It shouldn't be wild when you consider how many times the Bengals broke away from what they typically do. 
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are in INCREDIBLE cap shape for this year and beyond. There is no reason to not keep Tee Higgins. None. They have the 6th most cap space in the league this offseason. Even if they tag him they only fall to 9th or 10th cap space. There's no other FA this season (who will actually be available to sign post tag perido) that checks every box that Tee does as far as age & production. All of the big name guys are in their late 20s. Tee is mid 20s)ish).... If you don't pay Tee long term you are trading that for renting what?.... A late 20s/early 30s DT? Are you kidding? I'm not for that at all.

Look, almost EVERY PLAYER gets dinged up or hurt. The fact that Higgins is around if Chase isn't is a FABULOUS thing. Is TEE a top 5 guy? No. He should be paid like a top 10 to 15 receiver & hooked up on the guaranteed money to make up for the value of the total deal.
Reply/Quote