Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A positive thread...
I gotta admit that the negativity is a bit overwhelming right now. I fully understand where people are coming from, and I've participated in the venting some myself. That said, I think it'd be nice to get some actual discussion going that isn't just venting or complaining. So...even though our already bad o-line got substantially worse today, I do like that (a) we retained LaFell and Kirkpatrick and (b) the o-line is still the only massive problem with this team, player-wise.

Having those two on board not only opens up the draft some, but should also enable the team to part with Pacman. So since we know what our main problem is, name 3 things you think the Bengals could do to get this team back in the playoff hunt. It could be free agents or maybe you have your eye on some particular guys in the draft.

So what can we do to fix this team for 2017?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
My 1st move would be to bring in Stefan Wisniewski. He can play both Guard and Center. That should give us versatility on the draft...as I don't think we can draft both a starting Guard and Center.

Draft, you go best available player in Round 1. Whatever you do...you don't make a panic move and reach for an OT or Guard.

I'd talk to Logan Ryan. If we could get him for $10 million a year...I'd waive Pacman to save $6 million...then funnel some of the other money we saved on Whitworth and Zeitler into Ryan.

I'd start talking to Guards like TJ Lang and Tackles like Ryan Clady and Center John Sullivan.

I'd also try to sign Connor Barwin at OLB. He was waived by the Eagles and has some pass rushing ability.

I'd go Foster, Fournette, or one of the DE's. I'm partial to Foster and Fournette.

I'd also try as hard as I could to trade McCarron for a 1st Round pick. Even if I had to add a 4th Round pick. IF we could get a 1st...we could address the line.
Reply/Quote
More concerned about other spots considering there were some clear losses felt last year, especially on the defensive end. The Bengals needed to keep everyone just to say things could be okay...but now they are playing catch up.

Unlike 2-3 years ago, I'm much less confident in the current draftees from the last few seasons as well. We've seen plenty of draft capital, especially on the defensive side of the ball, that don't appear to be reliable at this point. It helps when you can replace veteran FA's with home runs like Dunlap, Burfict and Geno. Unfortunately, we haven't had one of those in 5 years.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 11:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I gotta admit that the negativity is a bit overwhelming right now. I fully understand where people are coming from, and I've participated in the venting some myself. That said, I think it'd be nice to get some actual discussion going that isn't just venting or complaining. So...even though our already bad o-line got substantially worse today, I do like that (a) we retained LaFell and Kirkpatrick and (b) the o-line is still the only massive problem with this team, player-wise.

Having those two on board not only opens up the draft some, but should also enable the team to part with Pacman. So since we know what our main problem is, name 3 things you think the Bengals could do to get this team back in the playoff hunt. It could be free agents or maybe you have your eye on some particular guys in the draft.

Fire Marvin Lewis and staff.

The Browns sell the team.

Trade for competent olinemen.

That's it.  The Bungals deserve all of this heat and MORE. Eff them.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 11:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: My 1st move would be to bring in Stefan Wisniewski. He can play both Guard and Center. That should give us versatility on the draft...as I don't think we can draft both a starting Guard and Center.

Draft, you go best available player in Round 1. Whatever you do...you don't make a panic move and reach for an OT or Guard.

I'd go Foster, Fournette, or one of the DE's. I'm partial to Foster and Fournette.

Hasn't Wisniewski been hurt a lot though?

Fournette is the #1 guy I want at 9. If he's not there, I'd be a lot more willing to trade down and nab a tackle...although I doubt the Bengals take a tackle so soon after Ogbuehi and Fisher.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'm glad I won't have to see a player I rooted for (Dre) wearing piss and black. That's a big positive.

Maybe we'll actually sign Burkhead too.

Reply/Quote
I'm fine with the Dre K deal. I'm hoping he continues to make strides and gets even better.

Also like LaFell coming back, and still think they will look for a deep threat at some point in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 11:28 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: More concerned about other spots considering there were some clear losses felt last year, especially on the defensive end.  The Bengals needed to keep everyone just to say things could be okay...but now they are playing catch up.

Unlike 2-3 years ago, I'm much less confident in the current draftees from the last few seasons as well.  We've seen plenty of draft capital, especially on the defensive side of the ball, that don't appear to be reliable at this point.  It helps when you can replace veteran FA's with home runs like Dunlap, Burfict and Geno.  Unfortunately, we haven't had one of those in 5 years.

Oh...the Bengals have a ton of work in front of them and seemingly they didn't have Plan B for these guys like the Saints did when Zeitler didn't sign with them.
Reply/Quote
Well, it looks like we better nail it on most of the 11 picks he have in the draft. They seem to be committed, for now, to Ced and Fisher, but it will be interesting to see of they do in fact spend a high draft pick on an OL.

I will tell you one thing, if it were up to me, I am keeping McCarron here for 2017. No question. If this o-line performs like I think they will, having a rock-solid backup QB is going to invaluable. If Ced is tasked with protecting Dalton's blindside this season.....look out.

I am glad Dre is back because I generally feel that he is on the upswing in his career, and is really starting to settle in to his role of being a premier player for us defensively. Having said that, I hope we can PacMan and there is a fierce competition between Dennard and WJ3 for the other CB spot, even though Dennard will probably be plugged at nickle regardless.

All in all, it's frustrating, but hey, that's how it is to be fan of this franchise. Let's just hope they nail the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 11:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Hasn't Wisniewski been hurt a lot though?

Fournette is the #1 guy I want at 9. If he's not there, I'd be a lot more willing to trade down and nab a tackle...although I doubt the Bengals take a tackle so soon after Ogbuehi and Fisher.

Nope. He's played in all 16 games in each of the last 3 seasons.
Reply/Quote
There's still hope, if only a faint flicker, that this is Marvin Lewis's last season.

I apologize but I'm just numb with disappointment right now. And the whiskey isn't helping a lot - yet
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 11:34 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm fine with the Dre K deal. I'm hoping he continues to make strides and gets even better.

Also like LaFell coming back, and still think they will look for a deep threat at some point in the draft.

Lafell was a good signing....but they overpaid Kirk in my opinion.  All rankings have him in the 20s....but he's the 10th best paid CB.  Too bad we don't overpay the cats that protect our franchise QB. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 11:28 PM)Wyche Wrote: Fire Marvin Lewis and staff.

The Browns sell the team.

Trade for competent olinemen.

That's it.  The Bungals deserve all of this heat and MORE. Eff them.

Only the Bengals would let the best 2 pieces of a shitty offensive line walk.  I'm with you, Eff 'em.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Sign Eiffert & Burfict before the season starts. You cannot allow these two to hit free agency. I hope the FO has learned its lesson today.

Draft Foster at #9. Combo some of the 11 draft picks to draft higher. 11 players are not going to make this roster. So you rise in rounds 2/3/4, & hope you hit on a few Olinemen.

I also hope the FO doesn't make any knee jerk FA moves to try and rectify todays' mistakes.

That's about as positive as I can be as I drink this Bleech Milkshake.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 11:45 PM)bambino5130 Wrote: Sign Eiffert & Burfict before the season starts. You cannot allow these two to hit free agency. I hope the FO has learned its lesson today.

Draft Foster at #9. Combo some of the 11 draft picks to draft higher. 11 players are not going to make this roster. So you rise in rounds 2/3/4, & hope you hit on a few Olinemen.

I also hope the FO doesn't make any knee jerk FA moves to try and rectify todays' mistakes.

That's about as positive as I can be as I drink this Bleech Milkshake.

Don't get your hopes up....they won't learn any lessons.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 11:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Nope. He's played in all 16 games in each of the last 3 seasons.

In that case I'm all for it. That said, I'm thinking they stuck with Bodine to maintain some "stability".
Reply/Quote
ogie looked bad, but few tackles come out and immediately play Lt. Fischer has had some good moments.

if we would get a good center, I think we could be a good line next year. That's my big hope this offesason. That and moving on from packman.
Reply/Quote
You know..funny thing is that when teams I root for and who win big always seem to lose out on a few players i thought were key. 
One thing we no longer have to worry about is Whit getting too old on us. Now he's the Rams problem down the road. Right at this moment that looks bad for us, but his best years WERE with this team regardless of whether he has a great season or two left..
I don't know how Ced will turn out, but I hope he turns out even better than advertised. I dropped my crystal ball and threw it away. 
I'm not one to root for any of our players to have bad seasons. I read that from time to time where someone will hope certain players wash out . I hope ALL OF OUR players go to the HOF.. That's not going to happen, but it's what I hope for. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 11:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: Lafell was a good signing....but they overpaid Kirk in my opinion.  All rankings have him in the 20s....but he's the 10th best paid CB.  Too bad we don't overpay the cats that protect our franchise QB. Mellow

He graded out by PFF somewhere in the 50's from this past season.

The disappointing thing for me about him is he took basically 3 seasons to become a starter...started 2 years and signs a huge contract.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 11:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I gotta admit that the negativity is a bit overwhelming right now. I fully understand where people are coming from, and I've participated in the venting some myself. That said, I think it'd be nice to get some actual discussion going that isn't just venting or complaining. So...even though our already bad o-line got substantially worse today, I do like that (a) we retained LaFell and Kirkpatrick and (b) the o-line is still the only massive problem with this team, player-wise.

I'll play along, shake.

1.  We need a vetera, stopgap lineman.  Andre smith perhaps.  Someone with versatility.  Perhaps trade a late pick for Allen Barbre of philly, he's cheap, versatile and decent.

2.  Since this draft is lacking in online help, at least at tackle, I continue to build up our defense.  I resist the urge to reach to fill a need.  I may look into packaging  2 later round picks to move up for o line help if someone is there they like.

3.  And perhaps most difficult.  Trading McCarron becomes more vital.  An extra second or third rounder this year could really help. 

I have no illusions of a playoff berth this year.  We don't need aj to get us a few wins if Andy gets hurt. I also see teams needing a qb drying up so this may not happen this year
Reply/Quote