Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question
(01-10-2018, 12:37 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Even if you have to go to the 3rd of 3 to explain your stance....Perhaps a better word for your interpretation would be prejudice or discrimination.

As I said: I'm sure your definition is much broader than mine. That is why I said a better question would be the individual's definition of racism. 

Are you willing to give me your definition in a sentence? 

Definitions in a dictionary aren't listed in a ranking system. Each definition is an equally valid definition of the word. So me choosing that one and you choosing another are equally discriminatory. LOL

My definition, more specifically, the one that I tend to go by when I look at it is an expression of racial prejudice. Whether it be words or action, an expression of that prejudice is racism. Prejudice is the internal beliefs we carry about people, and when we express those that are based on race, that's racism.

So, for example: "It is racial prejudice to hold on to stereotypes, whether they are perceived to be positive or negative, about a person based on their race; it is racism to ask the Asian person to do the math based on that stereotype."

(01-10-2018, 03:19 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: How does a person become racist?
I myself think that racists are made, they are raised from an early age by parents and siblings to hate because that child trusts what their family says. Then at one point in their lives, that hatred and prejudice is confirmed by some jackass who does them or someone they love wrong. Then there's the ignorance factor and sheer stupidity that is rampant in every community in every city, county, and state in the world. 

Here's a question for you all,
Is it racist to call a black man or woman the N word simply to hurt that particular person or to piss them off?

I typed out a couple of responses to this, but I can make an argument in both directions.
(01-10-2018, 01:11 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: 6-7 you claim to be racists may just be a bunch of guys who enjoy off colour jokes or making fun of each other and other people.  Doesn’t make them racists.  

Years ago I worked in an office where we had a pair who worked together on almost everything.   They were inseparable.   Great guys..... their nickname was rice and beans.   They were two Mexicans or something I can’t remeber.   Now would you consider it racist that everyone called them that?    Or just office humor/fun.   Everyone had nicknames or something close.   It was constant ball busting.    

Racist or just some fun?

I have a white friends who always greets us with "My N******!" where as if I was actually black he would have run me off the block by now.  Smirk

If it's among friends and the others do not have a problem with it that's fine.  If it's about groups of people or individuals that you don't know I don't think so.

I've been involved in plenty of insult laden conversations.  Among friends you can say things that aren't offensive.  It's different when racist terms or ideas are spread about people outside that group in my opinion.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Human nature causes a person to feel like they are superior to someone based on differences. Be it sex, race, religion, class, etc....Everyone does it to a degree. It's really only a problem when you take your feelings of superiority and use them to actively try to oppress someone.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-10-2018, 11:13 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Human nature causes a person to feel like they are superior to someone based on differences. Be it sex, race, religion, class, etc....Everyone does it to a degree. It's really only a problem when you take your feelings of superiority and use them to actively try to oppress someone.

I can get behind that a bit.

I remember someone telling me I looked down on people if I thought they weren't "as smart as me".  I don't think I was oppressing them.  I thought I was just poking fun at what they didn't know that TO ME seemed like something everyone should know.

As I've gotten older I've learned that I'm not that smart either!   Smirk

Maybe it's a combination of "learned" from family and friends and a lack of maturity in making your own observations.
(01-10-2018, 11:31 AM)GMDino Wrote: I can get behind that a bit.

I remember someone telling me I looked down on people if I thought they weren't "as smart as me".  I don't think I was oppressing them.  I thought I was just poking fun at what they didn't know that TO ME seemed like something everyone should know.

As I've gotten older I've learned that I'm not that smart either!   Smirk

Maybe it's a combination of "learned" from family and friends and a lack of maturity in making your own observations.

I try to justify my biases pretty often by pointing out the negatives that they bring to the table, but it's mostly about things that people choose (religion and politics (nice forum to be in for that)).  Recently, I've been trying to acknowledge and push away those biases, but it's difficult.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(01-10-2018, 11:13 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Human nature causes a person to feel like they are superior to someone based on differences. Be it sex, race, religion, class, etc....Everyone does it to a degree. It's really only a problem when you take your feelings of superiority and use them to actively try to oppress someone.

I think it has more to do with fear and may at times mask itself as superiority.  And certainly some people do feel superior, but I think most prejudices come from fear of someone different.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(01-10-2018, 11:41 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I try to justify my biases pretty often by pointing out the negatives that they bring to the table, but it's mostly about things that people choose (religion and politics (nice forum to be in for that)).  Recently, I've been trying to acknowledge and push away those biases, but it's difficult.

That comes with a bit of maturity.  

Usually.

My mother (in her 70's now) insists there is no such things as a good Republican...period.  And I (almost 50) should not be friends with any.  Smirk

I do not share her views.

I try to aim my displeasure at actions and stands and beliefs versus labels.
(01-10-2018, 12:04 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I think it has more to do with fear and may at times mask itself as superiority.  And certainly some people do feel superior, but I think most prejudices come from fear of someone different.  

I agree with that too.  When you look at those who say they are representing the "superior race" many times they make you wonder if natural selection actually works.   Cool
ITT i learned that Nazi paraphernalia and calling for a separate white nation aren't racist but a difference of opinion.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(01-10-2018, 06:32 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: ITT i learned that Nazi paraphernalia and calling for a separate white nation aren't racist but a difference of opinion.

Well it would depend on how you define racism.  If you define it solely as thinking one race is superior to another, then wanting in this instance a white only nation isn't necessarily racist.  Of course promoting Nazis who did believe one race was superior would ruin that argument.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Racism is when you judge an individual based on a group stereotype.

It is okay to say that blacks commit more crime than white people, but you can't say "That guy is cool because he is white, and that black guy must be a criminal."
(01-10-2018, 06:52 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well it would depend on how you define racism.  If you define it solely as thinking one race is superior to another, then wanting in this instance a white only nation isn't necessarily racist.  Of course promoting Nazis who did believe one race was superior would ruin that argument.  

Do you think they want a white only nation because they are inferior?
(01-10-2018, 06:32 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: ITT i learned that Nazi paraphernalia and calling for a separate white nation aren't racist but a difference of opinion.

I have no idea where you heard that; because that stuff is racist. Are you sure you fully understood what was said or just a little too quick to consider someone's opinion wrong? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(01-10-2018, 10:05 PM)GMDino Wrote: Do you think they want a white only nation because they are inferior?

No people can prefer “their kind” without feeling they are superior. It’s literally the history of the human race. Even when everyone is the same race you have tribes or clans. Then their are people who feel their race is superior.

(01-10-2018, 10:57 PM)michaelsean Wrote: No people can prefer “their kind” without feeling they are superior.  It’s literally the history of the human race. Even when everyone is the same race you have tribes or clans. Then their are people who feel their race is superior.

Sounds like racism to me.
(01-10-2018, 11:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: Sounds like racism to me.

I'd imagine a great many things do. 

(01-10-2018, 11:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd imagine a great many things do. 

To name a few possibilities:
Farmers Markets
Brown paper bags
Woodwork
Milk
Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches.
The National Anthem
Ba Ba black Sheep
Dr. Suess

From 2017 only:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/29/things-college-professors-called-racist-in-2017.html
[Image: 19030.jpg]
M. Freeman got the right idea.

[Image: a9c5ffe8ca08aeb01e55141b1539e678--morgan...quotes.jpg]

Throughout the course of the day I come in contact with people of every variety, and never once does race or racism enter my mind.

I imagine everyone else has the same experience.

Stupid thread.
(01-11-2018, 12:14 AM)Vlad Wrote: M. Freeman got the right idea.

[Image: a9c5ffe8ca08aeb01e55141b1539e678--morgan...quotes.jpg]

Throughout the course of the day I come in contact with people of every variety, and never once does race or racism enter my mind.

I imagine everyone else has the same experience.

Stupid thread.

Well there are those that cannot help themselves, then there are those that profit off the ones that cannot help themselves. Causing those that cannot help themselves thinking their constant focus on race has merit. 

(01-10-2018, 11:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: Sounds like racism to me.

Or bigotry.  It doesn't really matter what we call it.  We can all agree it's wrong.