Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question
I'm just not clear on which groups were there just to protest their "history" being taken away.

Because the ones marching were carrying torches and chanting racist things...and I didn't hear of any groups saying "Whoa...we aren't with THOSE guys".
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-10-2018, 12:15 AM)GMDino Wrote: How do you group them then?

Like, all rapists are bad, obviously.  

But are they a "group" of people?

In what context? When we are talking about immigration I have no problem closing doors to regions where they have shown problems and an inability to get along with the western world. We should be using immigration to ensure we get the serious people from around the world that wish to come here to provide something for our society. That’s not racist...... that’s common sense.

That’s the problem around here. Somehow I have become racist because I want sensible border controls and a point system. We have a immigration problem from the third world because the third world sucks. We need to incentivize people who want to leave their sucky country to be able to come here with a plan for success.

None of that has anything to do with race. It does however have to do with the choices of people who come from those regions
(01-10-2018, 12:23 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Oh I have no doubt you considered it racism. I assume your definition of racism is much broader than mine. 

I am going by Webster. Race based prejudice or discrimination.
(01-10-2018, 12:31 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: In what context?  When we are talking about immigration I have no problem closing doors to regions where they have shown problems and an inability to get along with the western world.  We should be using immigration to ensure we get the serious people from around the world that wish to come here to provide something for our society.    That’s not racist...... that’s common sense.  

That’s the problem around here.   Somehow I have become racist because I want sensible border controls and a point system.   We have a immigration problem from the third world because the third world sucks.   We need to incentivize people who want to leave their sucky country to be able to come here with a plan for success.  

None of that has anything to do with race.  It does however have to do with the choices of people who come from those regions

Well I wasn't talking about anyone in particular to begin with.

But if someone groups all people from a country with the problem ones that seems race based.
My apologies as I didn't mean to derail this into another thread about Charottesville. I was simply using it to illustrate one's definition of the word.

I personally do not consider a bunch of idiots marching down a street to be racism.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-10-2018, 12:32 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I am going by Webster. Race based prejudice or discrimination.

Even if you have to go to the 3rd of 3 to explain your stance....Perhaps a better word for your interpretation would be prejudice or discrimination.

As I said: I'm sure your definition is much broader than mine. That is why I said a better question would be the individual's definition of racism. 

Are you willing to give me your definition in a sentence? 

(01-10-2018, 12:33 AM)GMDino Wrote: Well I wasn't talking about anyone in particular to begin with.

But if someone groups all people from a country with the problem ones that seems race based.

Ah don’t worry KM. It’s was obvious why you started this thread. I don’t take offense at your virtue signaling. Not sure this thread is going quote how you envisioned however lol
(01-10-2018, 12:33 AM)bfine32 Wrote: My apologies as I didn't mean to derail this into another thread about Charottesville. I was simply using it to illustrate one's definition of the word.

I personally do not consider a bunch of idiots marching down a street to be racism.

I think it plays into the thread just fine, no apology needed.

But again if a large group is chanting racist slogans how is it *not* racism?  Or, again, at least fueled by racism?

If BLM chants "death to whiteys" while marching on MLK day...isn't that racism too?
(01-10-2018, 12:37 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Ah don’t worry KM.  It’s was obvious why you started this thread.   I don’t take offense at your virtue signaling.   Not sure this thread is going quote how you envisioned however lol

Sorry if you think it's about anyone in particular....it's not.

I was having a conversation with someone about how I just never understood racist people.  I work with a couple.  I still don't get it.

Their's is more skin color based than country of origin based though.
(01-10-2018, 12:37 AM)GMDino Wrote: I think it plays into the thread just fine, no apology needed.

But again if a large group is chanting racist slogans how is it *not* racism?  Or, again, at least fueled by racism?

If BLM chants "death to whiteys" while marching on MLK day...isn't that racism too?

To the bolded: No. 

(01-10-2018, 12:42 AM)bfine32 Wrote: To the bolded: No. 

See..I'd think it was.  If one individual or group is saying racist things that is racism.  Whatever they are doing WHILE they say the racist things is at least coming from a point of racism.

I still don't understand how they could hate an entire race for no other reason though.
(01-10-2018, 12:41 AM)GMDino Wrote: Sorry if you think it's about anyone in particular....it's not.

I was having a conversation with someone about how I just never understood racist people.  I work with a couple.  I still don't get it.

Their's is more skin color based than country of origin based though.

Do you think there are a lot of racist people? And would you mind to define what makes a person racist.
(01-10-2018, 12:45 AM)GMDino Wrote: See..I'd think it was.  If one individual or group is saying racist things that is racism.  Whatever they are doing WHILE they say the racist things is at least coming from a point of racism.

I still don't understand how they could hate an entire race for no other reason though.

It’s just them being a bunch of aholes. Nothing more. It’s hard to blame BLM because Black people have been forced to feel like victims from birth. Imagine being top toed around all your life by white people who are in fear of being called a racist. Then having everyone tell you that you need protected because you can’t get ahead on your own.

That is what develops aholes. Who think they are owed for something they didn’t do anything to become.
(01-10-2018, 12:47 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Do you think there are a lot of racist people?  And would you mind to define what makes a person racist.

Define "a lot".

I work with 10-15 people regularly.  Some in our base of operations...some around the country.  Most I have worked with for almost two decades.

I'd say two without a doubt hate black people. Racists in every definition.

6-7 of the others are more than likely racist based on the language they use to describe black people and their general discussions about them.  

That's "a lot" out of a small sample.

Nationwide I don't know if there are a lot or if they are very noisy.  Especially on line where they can hide behind fake names and life stories.

But my definition in the OP:

Quote:Why would someone hate someone else because of their color or country of origin?

It's pretty basic to me.
(01-10-2018, 12:51 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It’s just them being a bunch of aholes.   Nothing more.   It’s hard to blame BLM because Black people have been forced to feel like victims from birth.   Imagine being top toed around all your life by white people who are in fear of being called a racist.   Then having everyone tell you that you need protected because you can’t get ahead on your own.  

That is what develops  aholes.   Who think they are owed for something they didn’t do anything to become.

But you can be an ahole without bringing the other guy's race into it.

I know lots of dbags...and they are dbags not because they are white or black or from Bosnia but because of their individual actions.

Maybe a better question would be why we hate large groups versus the individuals who deserve it.
(01-10-2018, 12:55 AM)GMDino Wrote: Define "a lot".

I work with 10-15 people regularly.  Some in our base of operations...some around the country.  Most I have worked with for almost two decades.

I'd say two without a doubt hate black people. Racists in every definition.

6-7 of the others are more than likely racist based on the language they use to describe black people and their general discussions about them.  

That's "a lot" out of a small sample.

Nationwide I don't know if there are a lot or if they are very noisy.  Especially on line where they can hide behind fake names and life stories.

But my definition in the OP:

It's pretty basic to me.

6-7 you claim to be racists may just be a bunch of guys who enjoy off colour jokes or making fun of each other and other people. Doesn’t make them racists.

Years ago I worked in an office where we had a pair who worked together on almost everything. They were inseparable. Great guys..... their nickname was rice and beans. They were two Mexicans or something I can’t remeber. Now would you consider it racist that everyone called them that? Or just office humor/fun. Everyone had nicknames or something close. It was constant ball busting.

Racist or just some fun?
(01-10-2018, 12:57 AM)GMDino Wrote: But you can be an ahole without bringing the other guy's race into it.

I know lots of dbags...and they are dbags not because they are white or black or from Bosnia but because of their individual actions.

Maybe a better question would be why we hate large groups versus the individuals who deserve it.

I can only speak from my experiences. But I am always in groups where it’s ball busting and almost nothing is off limits. We don’t get into families or anything but pretty much everything else is fair game. I imagine you would struggle in that scenario but that’s the difference between us on this issue. It’s like the swear topic.... I rarely swear so when others do it sticks out to me. Others aren’t bad people for swearing I say my peace and move on.

Hating large groups isn’t a thing. For me it’s more annoyed by groups who consistently do crazy stuff. It’s not hatred. It’s annoyance. At least for me on the immigration issue. As far as my personal or professional life .... if someone annoys me I just poke fun at them until they loosen up.
(01-10-2018, 12:11 AM)bfine32 Wrote: But the purpose of their march was to preserve statues that were representative of their culture? I do not see where they attempted to make their race superior. 

Ah ok I see. Marching for preserving statues, as I see it, is not racism. A bit unsensitive maybe to the race oppressed back then, but that's a question of taste. Calling that racist isn't fair or, as I see it, accurate.
But these people marching in Charlottesville made no effort to hide away that they are actually white supremacists and racists. Those who marched followed the call of racist organisations, braught flags and sang songs and shouted things, and the racial tone was abunantly clear in all of that, so sure, those were racists. 

Someone marching alongside these people is either painfully naive or willfully ignorant to a fault or an actual racist. All reasons are enough for them to be morally guilty as charged. Intellectually capable non-racists do not march alongside David Dukes and Nazis. My take.
(01-10-2018, 12:37 AM)GMDino Wrote: If BLM chants "death to whiteys" while marching on MLK day...isn't that racism too?

I believe BLM prefers to use the abbreviation "yts" online. Ninja
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
How does a person become racist?
I myself think that racists are made, they are raised from an early age by parents and siblings to hate because that child trusts what their family says. Then at one point in their lives, that hatred and prejudice is confirmed by some jackass who does them or someone they love wrong. Then there's the ignorance factor and sheer stupidity that is rampant in every community in every city, county, and state in the world. 

Here's a question for you all,
Is it racist to call a black man or woman the N word simply to hurt that particular person or to piss them off?