Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A year late-Andy Dalton is a Chicago Bear
(03-22-2021, 01:04 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I have a feeling he's going to ball out this year, which would be funny given how many people are bashing the Bears over this.

Based on him being a bottom tier starter for the last 4 years?

Using hope and desire instead of logic.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 11:55 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I hope he has success there.

I do too. But why would you pick a team with a bad OL when all of the success you've ever had came when you had a top ten unit blocking for you? Andy has pretty much proven he stinks when he doesn't have time to throw. If its true the 49'ers were interested, he would have been better served going there. Maybe he just went where they guaranteed him a 50-50 chance to start and San Fran wasn't offering that. I don't know.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2021, 06:50 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Yeah, that's pretty much where I've been with him for a long time. I became a Dalton fan because I'm a Bengal fan and thought that he carried himself well despite being under one of the worst game day coaches in Marvin Lewis and one of the worst GMs in Mike Brown.

I'm still amazed at people saying ML was a bad coach after what we've seen the past two seasons and the 15 years before Marvin got here. He took a terrible franchise to the playoffs 7 times.

Bengals Record since 1990 with ML as head coach 131-122, with all other head coaches 61-162-1. There were ZERO winning seasons in that 29 year span without Marvin. 
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 04:34 AM)bengalfreak Wrote: I'm still amazed at people saying ML was a bad coach after what we've seen the past two seasons and the 15 years before Marvin got here. He took a terrible franchise to the playoffs 7 times.

Bengals Record since 1990 with ML as head coach 131-122, with all other head coaches 61-162-1. There were ZERO winning seasons in that 29 year span without Marvin. 

It's funny you could say that Dalton took Lewis to 5 of his 7 playoff appearances. Especially when Dalton took over a 4-12 Bengals team. Kinda funny you praise Lewis for the amount of playoff appearances when you bash Dalton, and he took him to the vast majority of them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 04:42 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: It's funny you could say that Dalton took Lewis to 5 of his 7 playoff appearances. Especially when Dalton took over a 4-12 Bengals team. Kinda funny you praise Lewis for the amount of playoff appearances when you bash Dalton, and he took him to the vast majority of them.

I love Andy Dalton. What I said about him is that he stinks when he doesn't have time to throw. Which is true. He's not a franchise QB in any sense but he can be very successful on the right team. I just don't think that team is the Bears.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 04:34 AM)bengalfreak Wrote: I'm still amazed at people saying ML was a bad coach after what we've seen the past two seasons and the 15 years before Marvin got here. He took a terrible franchise to the playoffs 7 times.

I didn't say he was a bad coach . . . I said that he was a bad GAME DAY coach.

Can you point to any game where you can honestly say "Marvin Lewis totally out coached ____ _____"?

I can't. 
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 03:33 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I didn't say he was a bad coach . . . I said that he was a bad GAME DAY coach.

Can you point to any game where you can honestly say "Marvin Lewis totally out coached ____ _____"?

I can't. 

But you also can't point to a single game that the Bengals lost due to poor clock management or pretty much any other game day decision.

Marvin Lewis was not only in the top half of the league in winning percentage over his 16 year tenure, he was also in the top half of the league in "come-from-behind" winning percentage.  So he obviously was not that bad at in-game adjustments if he was able to come from behind to win so many games.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 04:18 AM)bengalfreak Wrote: I do too. But why would you pick a team with a bad OL when all of the success you've ever had came when you had a top ten unit blocking for you? Andy has pretty much proven he stinks when he doesn't have time to throw. If its true the 49'ers were interested, he would have been better served going there. Maybe he just went where they guaranteed him a 50-50 chance to start and San Fran wasn't offering that. I don't know.

It's not 50-50. Dalton has stated the Bears told him he'll start.

I'm guessing the 49ers were a better situation, but also didn't tell him with certainty that he'd start, because it looks like they'll be drafting a top QB.

Probably didn't hurt having familiarity and perhaps trust with Bill Lazor in Chicago.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 04:42 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: It's funny you could say that Dalton took Lewis to 5 of his 7 playoff appearances. Especially when Dalton took over a 4-12 Bengals team. Kinda funny you praise Lewis for the amount of playoff appearances when you bash Dalton, and he took him to the vast majority of them.

There's lots of contradictions with people who bashed Dalton. For example, Dalton's ranking in QB rating was brought up almost every year to bash him.

Burrow ranks 24th and I haven't heard a peep about it.

People bashed Dalton for needing to be "surrounded by weapons" yet some of the same people want Burrow to have Chase to go with Higgins, Boyd and Mixon.

No, I'm not saying we should panic about Burrow, or that Burrow = Dalton. Just pointing out hypocrisy.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 01:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: There's lots of contradictions with people who bashed Dalton. For example, Dalton's ranking in QB rating was brought up almost every year to bash him.

People bashed Dalton for needing to be "surrounded by weapons" yet some of the same people want Burrow to have Chase to go with Higgins, Boyd and Mixon.

No, I'm not saying we should panic about Burrow, or that Burrow = Dalton. Just pointing out hypocrisy.

Fred brings it up quite often...

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 01:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Fred brings it up quite often...

I was more referring to the anti-Dalton crowd.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 01:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: There's lots of contradictions with people who bashed Dalton. For example, Dalton's ranking in QB rating was brought up almost every year to bash him.

To be fair Dalton those first several years played on much better teams than Burrow has. Idk the actual numbers but I'd be more curious of his rankings the last few years he was here vs when we had a much better overall team and coaching.

Considering we are talking about a rookie QB with a green HC and a terrible o-line and he finished 24th isn't that god awful in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 10:59 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: To be fair Dalton those first several years played on much better teams than Burrow has. Idk the actual numbers but I'd be more curious of his rankings the last few years he was here vs when we had a much better overall team and coaching.

I agree 100%.

But what makes it so funny is all the people around here who ripped Dalton because he needed talent around him to succeed.  For some reason they don't criticize Burr0w for the same reason.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 09:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree 100%.

But what makes it so funny is all the people around here who ripped Dalton because he needed talent around him to succeed.  For some reason they don't criticize Burr0w for the same reason.

lol ive been saying the same thing.... All these years of  " if dalton was an elite QB he wouldnt need elite talent around him" now its "WE GOTTA get elite talent around burrow "
Reply/Quote
Burrow had a higher QBR and Rating than Dalton in 2020.

Lol
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 12:39 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: lol ive been saying the same thing.... All these years of  " if dalton was an elite QB he wouldnt need elite talent around him" now its "WE GOTTA get elite talent around burrow "

It's almost as if some of us* have an irrational dislike of Andy Dalton, and blame an individual for the shortcomings of an entire team.

* See post below yours
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 02:52 PM)AQIndianHill Wrote: Burrow had a higher QBR and Rating than Dalton in 2020.

Lol

Andy Dalton had more wins...

Joe Burrow is a scrub.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 10:59 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: To be fair Dalton those first several years played on much better teams than Burrow has. Idk the actual numbers but I'd be more curious of his rankings the last few years he was here vs when we had a much better overall team and coaching.

Considering we are talking about a rookie QB with a green HC and a terrible o-line and he finished 24th isn't that god awful in my opinion.

The offense on that first team wasn't really that much better. We were coming off a 4-12 season with no TC. AJ > Higgins, but Boyd > Simpson. Run game was terrible (27th in yards/carry). The offense was essentially Dalton to Green and that's about it.

I'm not saying Burrow was terrible by any stretch, considering the circumstances. That said, people rarely considered circumstances with Dalton. If he didnt get it done, those circumstances were called excuses.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2021, 06:44 AM)bengalfreak Wrote: I love Andy Dalton. What I said about him is that he stinks when he doesn't have time to throw. Which is true. He's not a franchise QB in any sense but he can be very successful on the right team. I just don't think that team is the Bears.

Well Burrow did not do well last year when he did not have time to throw.. does that mean he stinks too ??  very few QBs do well when they are rushed.... that is what separates the elite QBS from the rest.. 
Reply/Quote
Let's compare rookie seasons of burrow and Andy. Burrow looked way better. Dalton is a good guy but watching him got old fast. And his fans wanted to treat him like he can be the next trent dilfer but in the same breath say he's up there with manning and Brady.
Reply/Quote