Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACA
This may not belong here, but what the hell ...

I’ve read that the fine for not having insurance has been repealed. Is this true?
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
(03-29-2019, 11:48 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: This may not belong here, but what the hell ...

I’ve read that the fine for not having insurance has been repealed. Is this true?

Yes, I believe so.  Although I don't think there was ever even a mechanism to collect it in the first place.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Yes the mandate is gone.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Silver lining. One more nail in the Trump coffin.
I was all for healthcare reform. But the ACA has been a disaster in my opinion. Im glad the penalty has been repealed. I can now opt out of the crummy insurance offered to me through my work (im sure most is similar) and save that money myself to pay cash for any medical expenses coming my way. Haven’t used my health benifits § with any luck I won’t need them in the near future. Kinda scary but that’s what I’m doing. Im 45 years old so this is quite a risk (if I listen to all the talking heads) but im willing to take it until I’m 50 § opt back in.

I wish I woulda thought of this sooner. Although I’d claim I had insurance, the penalty is worth the overall savings.
(03-29-2019, 01:37 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I was all for healthcare reform. But the ACA has been a disaster in my opinion. Im glad the penalty has been repealed. I can now opt out of the crummy insurance offered to me through my work (im sure most is similar) and save that money myself to pay cash for any medical expenses coming my way. Haven’t used my health benifits § with any luck I won’t need them in the near future. Kinda scary but that’s what I’m doing. Im 45 years old so this is quite a risk (if I listen to all the talking heads) but im willing to take it until I’m 50 § opt back in.

I wish I woulda thought of this sooner. Although I’d claim I had insurance, the penalty is worth the overall savings.

Not a disaster for all those people with pre-existing conditions.

If you are really setting money aside, how is that different from paying insurance--just without the advantage of covering expenses beyond what you've saved?

Who will pay for your risk taking if you are in a car accident and require extensive, emergency surgery and long-term convalescence?
(03-29-2019, 01:46 PM)Dill Wrote: Not a disaster for all those people with pre-existing conditions.

Who will pay for your risk taking if you are in a car accident and require extensive, emergency surgery and long-term convalescence?

I’m glad people with pre existing conditions were covered but honestly, they should’ve been covered all along. Fact is, insurance companies are the consumer and patients are an inconvenience. Health care should be free for all, profits § jobs be damned.

It’s a risk I’m willing to take. Those scare tactics are exactly why I’m opting out.
(03-29-2019, 01:50 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: It’s a risk I’m willing to take. Those scare tactics are exactly why I’m opting out.

What risk?

Are you saying you will refuse treatment if you are injured or are you talking about accepting treatment then having the hospital write it off as a loss and make all the paying patients pick up your tab?

The only people who take this "risk" are the ones who don't have assets or savings that could be drained to pay medical bills.  So it is not really a risk at all.  You will never refuse treatment.  Instead you will accept treatment and get others to pay for it.
(03-29-2019, 01:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What risk?

Are you saying you will refuse treatment if you are injured or are you talking about accepting treatment then having the hospital write it off as a loss and make all the paying patients pick up your tab?

The only people who take this "risk" are the ones who don't have assets or savings that could be drained to pay medical bills.  So it is not really a risk at all.  You will never refuse treatment.  Instead you will accept treatment and get others to pay for it.

I’ll pay out of pocket. Cash money, homie.

This makes a lot of sense though.

Although I can’t predict the future, the odds are in my favor to survive my daily routine without catastrophic consequences. And at some point in the future, I’ll opt back in. ‘Just in case’ isn’t a good enough reason to extract thousands of dollars from me. Sorry but that’s how I feel about it right now. Wish me luck!
(03-29-2019, 02:03 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I’ll pay out of pocket. Cash money, homie.

This makes a lot of sense though.

Although I can’t predict the future, the odds are in my favor to survive my daily routine without catastrophic consequences.  And at some point in the future, I’ll opt back in. ‘Just in case’ isn’t a good enough reason to extract thousands of dollars from me. Sorry but that’s how I feel about it right now. Wish me luck!

you'll pay hundreds of thousands of dollars out of pocket?  if you have that kind of cash, why not just pay the premium?  you certainly aren't going to save hundreds of thousands of dollars in 5 years by not buying insurance...
(03-29-2019, 02:17 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: you'll pay hundreds of thousands of dollars out of pocket?  if you have that kind of cash, why not just pay the premium?  you certainly aren't going to save hundreds of thousands of dollars in 5 years by not buying insurance...

No he does not have the money.  People with money or assets to protect do not risk losing it all for a few hundred dollars a month in insurance premiums.

And while it seems like I am being harsh I will admit that when I was young, single and poor I also went without health insurance for a while.  It is not a huge risk if you have nothing to lose.  But this type of thinking is what led to the mandate.  People with no insurance never refuse treatment.  Instead they get treated and some one else ends up paying for it.
(03-29-2019, 02:17 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: you'll pay hundreds of thousands of dollars out of pocket?  if you have that kind of cash, why not just pay the premium?  you certainly aren't going to save hundreds of thousands of dollars in 5 years by not buying insurance...

It was a joke my guy.

No I don’t have that kind of cash.

I make decent money on the hour but let me tell ya ... it ain’t shit!!!
I scrounge to save so there’s my dilemma.

Yeah catastrophe could happen to me today but odds are it won’t (besides, I’m covered until open enrollment). And if it does, then I guess I’ll jist do what the rich do § file it off. Judge me all you want but the real world ain’t a fairy tale § corporate welfare is a much larger problem than Lil ol me.
(03-29-2019, 02:33 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote:  Judge me all you want but the real world ain’t a fairy tale

And I did the exact same thing.

But this is a perfect example of why the mandate was necessary.

The problem with out "health care" system is that billions of dollars go to pay for insurance companies who provide zero health care services.  So if we go to a socialized health care system we will eliminate a multi billion dollar industry from the US economy.  Guess who is most opposed to that?
(03-29-2019, 02:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And I did the exact same thing.

But this is a perfect example of why the mandate was necessary.

The problem with out "health care" system is that billions of dollars go to pay for insurance companies who provide zero health care services.  So if we go to a socialized health care system we will eliminate a multi billion dollar industry from the US economy.  Guess who is most opposed to that?

The mandate was necessary so doctors, pharmaceutical reps § pharma execs could heat their mansions.

I doubt the middle men would totally lose out. There’d still be a market for them as some would opt for private insurance. But like I said, jobs § profits be damned if it means true affordable health care.

Future generations are gonna look back at us § laugh at all the potential we squandered to make/save a buck. It’s insane.
(03-29-2019, 03:56 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Future generations are gonna look back at us § laugh at all the potential we squandered to make/save a buck. It’s insane.

So true.  I can't fathom how pathetic this era is going to look in the future.  

health care, education, the environment.  we're getting it all wrong.
My mom had a minor heart attack in 2016. She had an angioplasty and stent put in her heart, they didn't even open her chest up. She spent one night in intensive care and two more days in a regular room. B.North charged $109,000. Thank God my mom had good insurance. My cousin had open heart surgery, multiple bypass that lasted several hours, I can't imagine what his bill was. My mom's "procedure" was about 45 minutes and a 3 day hospital stay cost over 100 grand. Good Luck saving up for your health care cost.
(03-29-2019, 03:56 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: The mandate was necessary so doctors, pharmaceutical reps § pharma execs could heat their mansions. 

No it was not.  Not a single one of the people you mention work for health insurance companies.

The mandate was necessary because the more young healthy people buy insurance the lower the rate is for everyone.
(03-29-2019, 04:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No it was not.  Not a single one of the people you mention work for health insurance companies.

The mandate was necessary because the more young healthy people buy insurance the lower the rate is for everyone.

Those folks I mentioned are where insurance companies shop. Birds of a feather and all that ...

Funny how everyone’s premiums went up with the mandate, not down. Obviously you drank the koolaid. Everyone did though.
(03-29-2019, 04:51 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: My mom had a minor heart attack in 2016. She had an angioplasty and stent put in her heart, they didn't even open her chest up. She spent one night in intensive care and two more days in a regular room. B.North charged $109,000. Thank God my mom had good insurance. My cousin had open heart surgery, multiple bypass that lasted several hours, I can't imagine what his bill was. My mom's "procedure" was about 45 minutes and a 3 day hospital stay cost over 100 grand. Good Luck saving up for your health care cost.

I’m glad your people were covered.

Nobody’s arguing for no insurance.

I’m a working class fool. I have to cut costs somewhere. Contrary to popular belief, the ACA is anything but affordable. I’m glad all you guys can afford it though. Kudos. Oh § I budget my money. I pay all of my bills on time. So it’s not like I’m irresponsible with my money. I’m just like millions of other American’ts. I can’t afford shit!! I claim 6 dependents, lol (I have ONE) in order to bring home a decent paycheck. I make good money. Unfortunately the tax man thinks it’s more than enough. So I’ve gotta do what I gotta do!
(03-29-2019, 05:02 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Funny how everyone’s premiums went up with the mandate, not down. Obviously you drank the koolaid. Everyone did though.

Everyone's premiums went up BEFORE the mandate.

Obviously you forgot why affordable health insurance was on of the biggest issues of the '08 election.

Everyone did though.