Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Green: Lets Face the Truth
(10-11-2020, 06:17 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Watching him sitting there alone on the sideline was heartbreaking man.

There's been this narrative that AJ somehow quiet on this team and it's ***** stupid. He didn't give up on the team. He's hurt and literally can't cut out there.

AJ has been Bengalized. It took 11 years but it finally happened. This organization has somehow found a way to make fans turn on one of their best/favorite players in franchise history.

oh wow this dude sat out years knowing andy and co. sucked ass, I don't feel bad for him, he's over the hill. Nobody defeats father time, except Tom Brady and LeBron James. You have to be superhuman. How did the organization make him lose a step and sit out years?

PS would be great to sit out years at my job and be paid. Or like Geno, sit out 4 games this year and get paid enough to buy multiple mansions.

If you want to go out on top better win a superbowl and retire or pull a calvin johnson/barry sanders, expect all of our players to decline and some faster than others based on position. Hint: Mixon will never be good on this team.

I'll give you a tip, when you get older, it's easier to gain weight/more difficult to stay in shape and it takes longer to recover from injury. The decline, is inevitable. Sitting on the bench because of poor performance, is inevitable. There are only the very few (roger federer, LBJ, tom brady) that have escaped age. It even hit Tiger woods. Have to adjust and change expectations, to survive (carmelo anthony).

If he didn't give up, he has injuries that last years (which may be expected due to his AGE). He talks to tyler eifert too much probably.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 06:08 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Dumbest post I've ever read on here. (Not exaggerating or joking)

No offense...

Maybe you should look harder. Or in a mirror?

You have to evaluate decisions based on the info you have when you make them, not how they turn out.

Example: Someone is playing blackjack, hits on 18, draws a 3, and wins. Yeah, it worked out, but it was still a stupid decision.

Here, you have a former all-star WR coming off a year he missed due to injury. He's not young, but hardly ancient at 32. The team has plenty of cap room. Picking up the tag did not cost us anything. We dradted a WR in R2 just in case AND have another productive WR in Boyd.

No offense, but since you seem to have trouble with higher level reasoning, I will go ahead & spell it out for you. 

Picking up AJ 's tag was a GOOD decision. Why?

1) Low risk, high reward.

We had cap space. Still do. We did not release anyone significant to keep him. And he only has this year left. No sunk costs. No opportunity cost in keeping him. And if he is back to his old self we are in high cotton with Boyd, Higgins, and AJ giving Burrow weapons. 

2) He was a Pro-Bowl level player the last time he was healthy. Letting him walk for nothing without even seeing what he has left would have been boneheaded.

Last time I checked, we have exactly 1 other guy who made the Pro Bowl the last time they were healthy (Atkins). You do not let guys that good walk. 

3) If we'd have let him walk, if he'd have had 1 good game elsewhere, you'd have been on here saying how dumb we were. And you'd have been right.

4) Giving him a fat extensiom or cutting a proven player to keep him, THAT would have been dumb.

5) EDIT: And while the early returns are poor, there is still a chance that the real culprit here is ZT/OL. We have 11 games left to find out. Still, worst case is we have $18 mil to spend on the OL or guys that can still play next year (Bates).

No offense, but you make Mike Brown look like a super-genius.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 07:29 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Maybe you should look harder. Or in a mirror?

You have to evaluate decisions based on the info you have when you make them, not how they turn out.

Example: Someone is playing blackjack, hits on 18, draws a 3, and wins. Yeah, it worked out, but it was still a stupid decision.

Here, you have a former all-star WR coming off a year he missed due to injury. He's not young, but hardly ancient at 32. The team has plenty of cap room. Picking up the tag did not cost us anything. We dradted a WR in R2 just in case AND have another productive WR in Boyd.

No offense, but since you seem to have trouble with higher level reasoning, I will go ahead & spell it out for you. 

We had cap space. Still do. We did not release anyone significant to keep him. And he only has this year left. No sunk costs. No opportunity cost in keeping him. And if he is back to his old self we are in high cotton with Boyd, Higgins, and AJ giving Burrow weapons. 

2) He was a Pro-Bowl level player the last time he was healthy. Letting him walk for nothing without even seeing what he has left would have been boneheaded.

Last time I checked, we have exactly 1 other guy who made the Pro Bowl the last time they were healthy (Atkins). You do not let guys that good walk. 

3) If we'd have let him walk, if he'd have had 1 good game elsewhere, you'd have been on here saying how dumb we were. And you'd have been right.

4) Giving him a fat extensiom or cutting a proven player to keep him, THAT would have been dumb.

5) EDIT: And while the early returns are poor, there is still a chance that the real culprit here is ZT/OL. We have 11 games left to find out. Still, worst case is we have $18 mil to spend on the OL or guys that can still play next year (Bates).

I'm sorry, but it was a terrible decision.

Someone posted a few weeks ago that no WR age 32+ has come back from missing an entire season to have a 1000 yard season.  The people that thought there was a high probability that he would return to form were just whistling past the graveyard.  It was a sucker's bet.  People let their emotional attachment to AJ as a player blind them to fact that the odds that he would be close to his former self were extremely long.

$18 million could have gone to other positions.  Reader, Bell, and Bynes have a combined cap hit of $17 mil this year.  Three starters would do us a lot more good than a washed up AJ Green right now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
https://twitter.com/i/status/1315350104648429568
Reply/Quote
119 yards in 5 games.
On pace for 380 yards by season's end, could be worse given he's actually trending downward.
He's now had over a month to adapt to this offense.

Not what you expect to get in return for $18.1 mill.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Boyd when asked about Green....

(on losing WR A.J. Green to injury) "It hurt a lot, because he's our leader. He's our role model, and he's a guy that will spark a play for this team to continue to excel. But I don't really know his situation. I hope that he heals quickly, and we get him next week."

(on if he spoke to WR A.J. Green following Green's injury) "I didn't really. … He has an injury that was bothering him, I guess – or whatever it was – and I just let him do his thing, because at the end of the day, we have a game to play. We have to go out there and finish playing. So, with all that, we'll just figure it out after the game."
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 07:29 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Maybe you should look harder. Or in a mirror?

How is $18.1 mill guaranteed for 1 season "low risk"?
Green had not played in a game for nearly two years and had never played in Taylor's scheme.
He's also over the age of 30, which does not bode well for WRs coming off injuries that kept them out for more than a year.

You severely needed OL after last season and instead chose to give a hefty chunk of $$ to a WR who is now averaging under 25 yards a game and is seeing fewer targets game after game. Green was behind Higgins, Boyd, Mixon, Bernard, and Sample in targets today.

I realize the draft happened after the franchise tag was placed, but the Bengals knew they had a good chance to get a quality WR early in the draft in what was a loaded class, plus they could have signed a cheaper FA if AJ had left.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

There's so much wrong with this. I started to reply where I'd do my best to address each point, but then I thought, why bother.

If you don't think, even knowing what you do now, that tagging AJ Green was a dumb decision then more power to you.  You're entitled to your opinion.
Reply/Quote
Everyone that wants to keep bashing AJ. We were somewhat competitive on offense in the first half even though we got 0 points. Without AJ in the 2nd half we were worse not to mention the guy that replaced him fumbled away any chance of a comeback.
Reply/Quote
AJ is done... everyone needs to say that on social media. He may be the 1st player ever to receive 18 million with less than 200 yards in a season and I'm serious.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
At this point we're better off giving the snaps to Higgins and having the 3rd WR spot being Auden Tate sadly. Higgins needs the reps.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:05 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: We were somewhat competitive on offense in the first half even though we got 0 points.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:05 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: not to mention the guy that replaced him fumbled away any chance of a comeback.

At least he caught a pass.

PS There was never any chance of a comeback.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:05 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Everyone that wants to keep bashing AJ. We were somewhat competitive on offense in the first half even though we got 0 points. Without AJ in the 2nd half we were worse not to mention the guy that replaced him fumbled away any chance of a comeback.

We had 97 yards, 4 total first downs, and 0 points in the first half. 
We had 108 yards, 8 total first downs, and 3 points in the second half. 

Both were terrible. In what way was the offense better in the first half? 
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:54 PM)TheFan Wrote: We had 97 yards, 4 total first downs, and 0 points in the first half. 
We had 108 yards, 8 total first downs, and 3 points in the second half. 

Both were terrible. In what way was the offense better in the first half? 

We were  -7 in the 2nd half the end of game field goal was worst decision I have ever seen at the end of a game.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 08:01 PM)kdgjr Wrote: https://twitter.com/i/status/1315350104648429568

He’s definitely playing to avoid injury. Which is unacceptable. You’re either reliable to be out there or your not.

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:59 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: We were  -7 in the 2nd half the end of game field goal was worst decision I have ever seen at the end of a game.

We had 7 possessions in the first half and only 5 in the second so I still don't get how you can say we did better. 

I agree the kicking FG was a wanker move but it still happened. 
Reply/Quote
I dont want to see Aj go. I think Zac Taylor is a huge problem in Greens lack of success. Zac sucks. That diving catch Green had on the sidelines against the Browns (it was out of bounds, but still) Green has made quite a few good grabs. Zac is the problem and he needs to take responsibility for it and stop throwing everybody under the bus. That ball went over Greens head and he was thinking it was out of reach by him and Peters both
Reply/Quote
IM NOT GIVING UP ON AJ. Im giving up on Taylors shitty play calls. Green is a humble guy like Barry Sanders was. When a guy like that is showing frustration something is up. Zac Taylor is a dick who is in over his head. He is rubbing all the players the wrong way and causing a problem.

AJ GREEN PLEASE STAY
Reply/Quote
I may be in the minority here, but I'm not upset with A.J. for his play and what looks like a lack of effort, and I hope he goes to another team.

A.J. is just the next in a long line of Bengal greats that has had it with the franchise since Mike took over and turned their back on the team or just given up completely.

You have a guy who was a winner in college, probably a winner in high school, comes here and has some success but can never get over the hump and just watches the piss poor management style from the front office and the bad decisions in personal and coaching and finally... just can't take it anymore.

This is like watching the Corey Dillon movie again, or the Takeo Spikes or Carson Palmer, or insert great player who just got sick of wasting away working for incompetence.

This team is bad, and has been bad since the 90's. I'm not talking win loss record, it is the way the team is run. This franchise is viewed as a joke in the NFL, has been since the 90s. It is viewed as cheap and behind the times. When you have the talent of a guy like Green, who is used to winning and used to success and you get stuck in this never ending cycle of failure, eventually.... you break. I think A.J. is there now. He is just over the Bengal way of failing.

He wasn't born here, so unlike the fans, he'd be just as happy playing on the Rams, Saints, Patriots, etc if he meant a change of culture and winning.

What sucks is we all choose this or were born into it and continue to have hope, since the other option is ... not caring or picking a new team. But the players, they all have a point where loyalty ends, and the desire to leave a broken team and broken system wins out.

I hope Green takes the season off, and gets a chance to play for a real NFL team next year, he has more then served his punishment out here.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote