Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Green has right foot in a boot
(11-08-2018, 08:58 AM)Sled21 Wrote: That's the point. Yes, Green has a lot of targets (and I'm not hacking on Green, I'm using him as an example) The others have very few targets. You have to give them enough targets to see if they can produce before you write them off. None of the Core/Malone/Ross players have had  that many targets to determine this.

Dalton seems like a pretty smart guy and he seems like he actually gives a crap about the Bengals and winning, so if he doesn't target these guys I'm going to assume they haven't yet earned the trust.  Core and Malone could very well go their entire careers without making much of an impact in the receiving game and it wouldn't be unheard of (ok, I forgot Malone was a 4th round pick...geez).  Ross, I expect a lot more out of, but based on what I've seen him do I certainly can't side with him over Dalton when it comes to the disparity in targets.

We shall see what Dalton does on Sunday without AJ Green hogging all the targets and the amazing LaFell mucking up the depth chart.  As others have pointed out, I see Boyd and Mixon/Gio getting almost all the targets, so maybe those 3 will need to get injured before we really see Core/Malone/Ross "earn" their targets.  

tl:dr - If Dalton hain't targeting them, I'm putting that on them.  Dalton hain't no dumb bum.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2018, 11:44 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Dalton seems like a pretty smart guy and he seems like he actually gives a crap about the Bengals and winning, so if he doesn't target these guys I'm going to assume they haven't yet earned the trust.  Core and Malone could very well go their entire careers without making much of an impact in the receiving game and it wouldn't be unheard of (ok, I forgot Malone was a 4th round pick...geez).  Ross, I expect a lot more out of, but based on what I've seen him do I certainly can't side with him over Dalton when it comes to the disparity in targets.

We shall see what Dalton does on Sunday without AJ Green hogging all the targets and the amazing LaFell mucking up the depth chart.  As others have pointed out, I see Boyd and Mixon/Gio getting almost all the targets, so maybe those 3 will need to get injured before we really see Core/Malone/Ross "earn" their targets.  

tl:dr - If Dalton hain't targeting them, I'm putting that on them.  Dalton hain't no dumb bum.

You're right. The last thing Dalton is, is a bum. He gives it his 'all' on every snap from what I've seen. Several reasons behind why these guys don't get that many targets, ranging from not getting separation in the little time the OLine gives Dalton to throw, to running poor routes, and even quitting on routes. Andy has done a great job of not forcing the ball to those who don't have great hands. Lack of time is a major player in slow progress of the young receivers.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2018, 11:44 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Dalton seems like a pretty smart guy and he seems like he actually gives a crap about the Bengals and winning, so if he doesn't target these guys I'm going to assume they haven't yet earned the trust.  Core and Malone could very well go their entire careers without making much of an impact in the receiving game and it wouldn't be unheard of (ok, I forgot Malone was a 4th round pick...geez).  Ross, I expect a lot more out of, but based on what I've seen him do I certainly can't side with him over Dalton when it comes to the disparity in targets.

One other thing Nately.....folks are forgetting that Ross has been on the sidelines since ATL.  Hard to get targets on the bench.  

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2018, 12:06 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: One other thing Nately.....folks are forgetting that Ross has been on the sidelines since ATL.  Hard to get targets on the bench.  

He played in KC.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2018, 12:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He played in KC.

Shit....didn't even remember that.  Didn't he leave that game early as well though?  I quit watching at the half, but he only played 28 snaps.....granted, I'm sure we didn't have many snaps total....lol. Zero targets, yikes.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Green gets more targets because he gets open more.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2018, 12:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Green gets more targets because he gets open more.

Green isn't going to be a Bengal forever, and unless we hit a homerun like we did going from Chad to Green, people are going to feel a little silly for complaining that Green was such an integral part of our gameplan.  Silly, I tells ya.

EDIT: Let's also not forget that 2 of our playoff loses have been "excused" by Green being underutilized/injured, too. Can't have your cake and eat it too.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 06:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When you defended Yellowdiscipline's claim that Malone should be dismissed based on one drop against the Steelers.

Pretty sure I didnt say he should be cut either. I said that I dismissed him, being me, myself not looking at him as a wide receiver that can be counted on going forward. If he proves me wrong, i'll gladly eat crow.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote

That's the point, they haven't had targets because they have AJ and Boyd in front of them. So, in reality, we haven't seen what they can be yet. This is the chance for them to step up. We'll see what they do with it.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2018, 02:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That's the point, they haven't had targets because they have AJ and Boyd in front of them. So, in reality, we haven't seen what they can be yet. This is the chance for them to step up. We'll see what they do with it.

Boyd, Gio, Mixon, and Uzomah are still going to be on the field, so they're still going to have to earn some targets.  On the plus side, if we get blown out early we will see a lot more passing, so that would help...I guess.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 02:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: [Image: 200.gif]
If tate is allowed to play,he could be a huge help for our receiver core.I love to watch this guy go get the rock.He is 6ft 5 and about 235.dude is a beast and he can ball if allowed to play.I am more concerned about our defense as that is the huge weakness week after week.Zero pass rush.I truly believe they will be in this game,but stopping the qb is number one and he has an excellent O-line.Jefferson,Wilson and Phillips all need to be on the field all game.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2018, 02:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Boyd, Gio, Mixon, and Uzomah are still going to be on the field, so they're still going to have to earn some targets.  On the plus side, if we get blown out early we will see a lot more passing, so that would help...I guess.

So, what your sayin is it might be a good week to start Andy?
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 01:36 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Wow.

The bengals are 5-3 and very much are in the playoff picture. Are they one player away from a SB? No. But they might be one player away from winning a game that’s determines if they are in the playoffs or not.

If you don’t understand the importance of making and winning a playoff game for the bengals to get over the mental hurdles for then I’m really confused.

As a team, the most important thing is to put the best team on the field.

If they lose to Baltimore next week and fall to 5-5 it may very well be due to lack of talent around Andy. That feels a lot different than 6-4, we will find out.

It’s a moot point, it’s too late at this point. But if I’m A.J. and bust my ass only for the team to put garbage on the field while I’m out, then why would he re-up?

If the team was 3-5 I would agree, but at 5-3 and very much in control of your own destiny, they should do everything possible to put the best team on the field.

Do we think signing someone during the Bye week could have made a difference now?
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 02:12 PM)McC Wrote: So what exactly is your point?  Let me know when you stop jumping around and land on one.  Do you have any familiarity with the Bengals?

My point was a veteran receiver could have made the catch that core dropped. Like I tried to say but you were just refusing to listen.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 10:08 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Do we think signing someone during the Bye week could have made a difference now?

Well, I'd rather Dalton target Lafell than Core on a must-catch pass...so yes. Sure, no one can look at alternative timelines, but we just watched one of those exciting late-round bench WRs drop a crucial pass. Maybe next week we will replace Core with Tate and hope for the best. This is exactly what we wanted. WRs with a resume can leave...we want to watch our bench WRs get a chance to shine....or blow it.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 11:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: But the reason they dont produce is "Marvin won't play the young guys"

Or they drop balls that hit them in the numbers
Reply/Quote
Makes you wonder what Green was thinking during that drop and last series.
Reply/Quote
I’d like to hear from McC... get his viewpoint on his thoughts about the bengals not being proactive during the bye
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 09:49 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: I’d like to hear from McC... get his viewpoint on his thoughts about the bengals not being proactive during the bye

I'll reply for all of the RAH_RAH crowd "No other teams went after help", "no other teams went after help" , "No other teams went after help"...…….   Their teams weren't 5-3 and have lost two pro bowl players in Green and Eifert. The FO knew AJ has a history of foot injuries that sidelined him for multiple weeks before but Mikey just decided to keep his money and forget about trying to help the team and the fans hopes alive by trying to acquire a WR. The Saints did it twice and they have won eight in a row. It seems their FO is focused on not only getting to the POs but winning it all.
Reply/Quote
Here in Canada, the Calgary Stampeders won yesterday to go to their 3rd straight grey Cup (they are kind of the Pats of Canada right now). During the year they lost their top 3 WR's - they brought one up from the practice squad, they signed another free agent and traded for another to replenish. All within the salary cap as we have one up here as well.

Point is - they try and win every year and do what is needed to make that happen.

They beat my team yesterday and my team over the past few seasons have had a weak defense. So what did we do? Signed the best MLB in the league in free agency and voila we have a good defense and made it to the conference finals.

Some teams want to win every year and some teams just play and see what happens.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote