Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Green is franchised
Just posted on rotoworld
Reply/Quote
Saw that. I think they should just keep the tag on him for 2020 and see how it goes. AJ knows this is disadvantageous to his interests, which is why he's against it.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
No player likes the franchise tag, but Green has to understand that we had no choice. Can't give a big long term contract with a lot of guaranteed money to a player who was 1 catch in his last 24 games.

This should put to rest the claim that he was able to play last year but chose not to. If he had shown he was 100% recovered and healthy he would have probably gotten a long term deal.
Reply/Quote
Not surprising, let's hope he actually plays a full season so Burrow has one hell of a target to throw to.
Reply/Quote
That news should make Joe Burrow very happy.

Green
Boyd
Ross
Tate

That is 4 very good WR's (of course they need to stay healthy), if we keep them on the field one of best WR groups in the league with a great running back as well!!!!!!
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I'm glad AJ will be a Bengal in 2020, but I also hope they wait to see if he can stay healthy before working on a new deal.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 12:27 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: That news should make Joe Burrow very happy.

Green
Boyd
Ross
Tate

That is 4 very good WR's (of course they need to stay healthy), if we keep them on the field one of best WR groups in the league with a great running back as well!!!!!!

Now let's get Burrow a TE!
Reply/Quote
AJ better not miss more than a couple games this time around.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 12:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: AJ better not miss more than a couple games this time around.

I assume this is the exclusive tag.  So both the Bengals and AJ get til mid July to negotiate a longer term deal and see where AJ's heath is at.  Given the COVID-19 situation they may not have much time to evaluate him during OTA's.  Which means this might be his deal all season, if there is a season, and he's a UFA next season. What a mess.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 12:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: AJ better not miss more than a couple games this time around.

AJ wants more than anyone to play every game in 2020, his future earnings are on the line.

Every team has a high priced player who has missed a lot of time. Ben better play more than a couple of games or Steelers are in trouble. Watt missed a lot of time and so on.

It is the sport, injuries happen but no player wants to get hurt.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 12:45 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: AJ wants more than anyone to play every game in 2020, his future earnings are on the line.

Every team has a high priced player who has missed a lot of time. Ben better play more than a couple of games or Steelers are in trouble. Watt missed a lot of time and so on.

I get that, but my statement still stands.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 12:42 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: I assume this is the exclusive tag.  So both the Bengals and AJ get til mid July to negotiate a longer term deal and see where AJ's heath is at.  Given the COVID-19 situation they may not have much time to evaluate him during OTA's.  Which means this might be his deal all season, if there is a season, and he's a UFA next season. What a mess.

I am hopeful they sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal in the coming weeks as well. Many say 1 year prove it deal, but keep in mind many things could happen. He could have the best year of his career, if so we won;t be able to afford him with next contract. It could go other way also so  huge gamble either way.

But I look at AJ like Fitz. I want him to end hos career in Cincinnati hopefully on a high note so he gets in the HOF.

Reply/Quote
$18M, huh?

I would prefer to spend $20M/year on Amari Cooper since he has more tread left on the tires. And with Joe Burrow on a rookie contract they can afford one high priced free agent. But, that isn’t the Bengals’ way.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 12:45 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: AJ wants more than anyone to play every game in 2020, his future earnings are on the line.

Of course AJ wants to stay healthy, but given his recent history, he needs to prove that he can. 
Reply/Quote
We all knew he was going to be Franchised. I just hope they work on a multi year deal that includes incentives accounting
for all the injuries. I don't like the thought of AJ being on the bench all year while 18 mil is getting eaten up so we cannot
add to the team. Very happy AJ will be back don't get me wrong, but no one likes the Franchise Tag. Not AJ, no one.

Had to be done, this will make Burrow happy.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 12:27 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: That news should make Joe Burrow very happy.

Green
Boyd
Ross
Tate

One hasn't played a single game in like a season and a half. Another hasn't had a healthy season since college.

That's the same as saying you don't have 4 very good WRs when you put that qualifier on there.

- - - - - - -

Boyd (a #2)
Hopes
Wishes
Dreams

That's basically the 4 WR they have right now.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 12:48 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am hopeful they sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal in the coming weeks as well. Many say 1 year prove it deal, but keep in mind many things could happen. He could have the best year of his career, if so we won;t be able to afford him with next contract. It could go other way also so  huge gamble either way.

But I look at AJ like Fitz. I want him to end hos career in Cincinnati hopefully on a high note so he gets in the HOF.

Not following about not having the money.
If AJ stays on tag, he will make $18,325,000 this year.
Then off the books again next year, so if he's good he will get another 2-3 year deal at around that price. That's still before Burrow will need to be paid. So we have time and money.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 12:55 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Of course AJ wants to stay healthy, but given his recent history, he needs to prove that he can. 

His last injury was from contact. If a WR gets tangled up with a DB while jumping to catch the ball and lands like he did torn ligaments are going to happen. It’s physics. It’s not about proving he can stay healthy. They only thing that would have prevented that injury would be for him and Kirkpatrick to not make contact while he was in the air.
Reply/Quote
Bungles HAVE the money, just like everyone else does. And if nothing else, Mikey B will spend on his own.

But the risk of AJ breaking down again is too great. Let him show he's somewhat durable for a year, and then we can talk about a small extension.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 01:04 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: His last injury was from contact. If a WR gets tangled up with a DB while jumping to catch the ball and lands like he did torn ligaments are going to happen. It’s physics. It’s not about proving he can stay healthy. They only thing that would have prevented that injury would be for him and Kirkpatrick to not make contact while he was in the air.

I realize all that, but the fact is that AJ being sidelined so much recently (regardless of the types of injuries) isn't making Bengals a better team. I feel like, from an investment perspective, they really need to see how he fares this season before working on a new deal. 
Reply/Quote