Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
AJ McCarron is a future star
(08-30-2015, 04:17 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: No what's football? 

So do you agree that on a list of priorities, the QB should be focusing on his targets first and to a lesser degree, focused on pressure around him?

Or do you want to see a QB just ignore his targets and lay down for a sack, or maybe roll out and throw a pass out of bounds if he "feels" the slightest bit of pressure?

Basically nothing McCarron does will be up to your standards.  I can understand negativity towards Andy because he's laid eggs in primetime moments and stunk it up in the playoffs (yes I know, it's not really Andy's fault but the team's fault) but why so much downplaying of a pretty good preseason performance by your backup QB?

You are picking on pocket awareness?
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 04:18 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: 1. Because it's true.
2. Also true.
3. Yet again true, the Bears are not good. 
4. Well, the Raiders are terrible on defense. So bad example. Try again. 
5. Not down playing. Just discussing. 

It didn't read like that, maybe just to an idiotic turd like yourself who only deep down just wants to scream ROLL DAMN TIDE

Yes anyone who thinks Andy should be on the hot seat after his playoff failures and hopes that McCarron maximizes his potential must be a tide fan.  

Keep being a negative Nancy, I'm sure people gravitate to you all around the world so you can tell them how unimpressive their accomplishments were, and how they were able to accomplish such things only because the competition was subpar.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 04:45 PM)BigSeph Wrote: So do you agree that on a list of priorities, the QB should be focusing on his targets first and to a lesser degree, focused on pressure around him?

Or do you want to see a QB just ignore his targets and lay down for a sack, or maybe roll out and throw a pass out of bounds if he "feels" the slightest bit of pressure?

Basically nothing McCarron does will be up to your standards.  I can understand negativity towards Andy because he's laid eggs in primetime moments and stunk it up in the playoffs (yes I know, it's not really Andy's fault but the team's fault) but why so much downplaying of a pretty good preseason performance by your backup QB?

Picking on pocket awareness? Why are you downplaying the one thing that can truly separate good from great?
If Dalton had better pocket awareness, this isn't even a conversation worth having over the back up. 
Good lord. 

Why do you jump to the complete opposite? Because you don't want to have an actual discussion. 

I never said that. I said he made some good throws. 
Just because I'm critiquing what he's doing and not gobbling his nuts like you do doesn't mean shit. 
1. The Bears defense sucks. Dalton was just as good. Everyone was good. 
2. He has to get better feeling pressure. Against good defense you won't be afforded the time. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 04:48 PM)BigSeph Wrote: Yes anyone who thinks Andy should be on the hot seat after his playoff failures and hopes that McCarron maximizes his potential must be a tide fan.  

Keep being a negative Nancy, I'm sure people gravitate to you all around the world so you can tell them how unimpressive their accomplishments were, and how they were able to accomplish such things only because the competition was subpar.

1. He should be. But you have anointed McCarron before he took an NFL snap.
2. I have stated before, I hope he's the next Tom Brady...he's just got to actually show it first. 
3. This conversation is over. You are either just a dumb Tide fan or a dumb Bengals fan. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 03:11 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Because he never saw or felt them coming. 

4 best AJ McCarron highlights from Bengals vs Bears

As to him being oblivious to pressure, I don't think that's the case. AJ definitely stepped up in the pocket well and on his last play in the game he rolled out of a collapsed pocket and threw a catch-able dart to the sideline. If CJ Uzomah (or whoever it was) had come up with that 3rd down conversion that may have been his top play of the night. It would have certainly made the top 4 list. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 04:51 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: 1. He should be. But you have anointed McCarron before he took an NFL snap.
2. I have stated before, I hope he's the next Tom Brady...he's just got to actually show it first. 
3. This conversation is over. You are either just a dumb Tide fan or a dumb Bengals fan. 

I'm not going to play pattycake with you on the internet.  You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to think you don't know anything about anything.

Keep us posted when you have more petty complaints and absurd negativity to share. 

Which seems to be at least daily.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 04:50 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Picking on pocket awareness? Why are you downplaying the one thing that can truly separate good from great?
If Dalton had better pocket awareness, this isn't even a conversation worth having over the back up. 
Good lord. 

Why do you jump to the complete opposite? Because you don't want to have an actual discussion. 

I never said that. I said he made some good throws. 
Just because I'm critiquing what he's doing and not gobbling his nuts like you do doesn't mean shit. 
1. The Bears defense sucks. Dalton was just as good. Everyone was good. 
2. He has to get better feeling pressure. Against good defense you won't be afforded the time. 

If Tom Brady had worse pocket awareness, he would be Andy Dalton.  Right?

If anybody's gobbling nuts it's you over there with your bag of ginger-flavored Planter's.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 04:59 PM)BayouBengal Wrote: 4 best AJ McCarron highlights from Bengals vs Bears

As to him being oblivious to pressure, I don't think that's the case. AJ definitely stepped up in the pocket well and on his last play in the game he rolled out of a collapsed pocket and threw a catch-able dart to the sideline. If CJ Uzomah (or whoever it was) had come up with that 3rd down conversion that may have been his top play of the night. It would have certainly made the top 4 list. 

He didn't really face much pressure in 3 of those. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 05:06 PM)BigSeph Wrote: I'm not going to play pattycake with you on the internet.  You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to think you don't know anything about anything.

Keep us posted when you have more petty complaints and absurd negativity to share. 

Which seems to be at least daily.

(08-30-2015, 05:07 PM)BigSeph Wrote: If Tom Brady had worse pocket awareness, he would be Andy Dalton.  Right?

If anybody's gobbling nuts it's you over there with your bag of ginger-flavored Planter's.

You're a joke. It isn't petty to discuss pocket awareness of a QB. 
What's petty is the fact that you're a troll account only here to troll about McCarron. 
It's the only subject you comment on. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 05:08 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He didn't really face much pressure in 3 of those. 

Yeah its hard to find any highlights of him under pressure. I was trying to find his last play of the game which I thought was excellent despite the incompletion.

Also there was one sack on McCarron in the second half where the DE (the freaking DE!!) was untouched. I don't care who the QB is or how aware they are, a sack like that is not on the QB. He got his bell rung on that play, but at least we know he's not made of glass.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 04:45 PM)BigSeph Wrote: So do you agree that on a list of priorities, the QB should be focusing on his targets first and to a lesser degree, focused on pressure around him?

Probably because it is preseason. Just saying...lol
Reply/Quote
Good grief!

Yes McCarron had a nice game. And it bodes well for the team no matter which QB you support. If you like Andy then it is still giving us a capable backup who potentially can be turned into a higher draft pick than we got him for at a future date (like the Packers consistently do). And if you want AJ as your Bengals QB then the hump of "can he even play after the injury" is crossed off.

And yes Andy had just as nice a game, and had the neck injury not caused Marvin to be cautious (and it wasn't just us - teams all over the league have started pulling their first string earlier in preseason games) he likely would have looked just as good for the next couple of drives.

Why in both cases? Because unlike last week the first string OL came to play this week. They kept both QBs pretty clean albeit against a Bear defense not only changing its scheme but with 6 new starters. Last week Winston, Zeitler and Bodine all looked like high school boys out there. This week they were more solid with one exception - the interior of the line was directly culpable for us failing three consecutive goal line runs which led to Andy's 4th down and goal QB sneak TD.

So let's just be happy AJ looked sharp and the OL looked like they had their heads in the game - no need to start trashing anyone in that process as it isn't "either/or".
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd add that, so far, he has not done anything stupid. That seems like no small thing for a new guy.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 05:54 PM)McC Wrote: I'd add that, so far, he has not done anything stupid.  That seems like no small thing for a new guy.

True, regardless of level of competition, he's had no head scratchers.

But as far as NFL standards, he hasn't really been challenged yet. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 05:10 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: You're a joke. It isn't petty to discuss pocket awareness of a QB. 
What's petty is the fact that you're a troll account only here to troll about McCarron. 
It's the only subject you comment on. 

He had 17 pass attempts, was sacked twice, both by Lamarr Houston vs. the 2nd team offensive line.

Yeah, the first sack he didn't even plant his back foot on a 5-step drop and had his collar grabbed by a pass rusher to his left/outside.  He stepped up and did NOT get sacked by that guy, and Lamarr Houston knifed in from the right side to sack him.  Pressure acknowledged, compensating move performed, no way to look downfield AND see Houston knifing in.  

The second sack Houston came in untouched from the right while AJ is looking at his first read, a WR on his left.  Anybody gets sacked there, no amount of "pocket presence" matters for any QB in that situation.

So I think your complaints are petty and worthless.  You go watch those 2 sacks and tell me what anyone could have done differently.

Aside from those 2 incidents, he got the pass off every time.

Don't make me waste my keystrokes spelling things out for you when the real issue is your mental disorder-worthy excuse making for Andy and your mental disorder-worthy hatred of AJ.

Those are your problems, not mine.
Reply/Quote
Aj might not be as good as we hope but he does have leadership qualities that dalton does not. The team seems more energetic when aj is in the huddle. I never see dalton light a fire in anyone's arse..

I also cannot stand when we are down and he just is smiling like nothings going wrong.

I think ajs swagger mentality on the field can carry over on to the offense .

I don't hate dalton but I'm tired of getting my hopes up and the team just sh*ts the bed in big games...
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 05:41 PM)Joelist Wrote: Good grief!

Yes McCarron had a nice game. And it bodes well for the team no matter which QB you support. If you like Andy then it is still giving us a capable backup who potentially can be turned into a higher draft pick than we got him for at a future date (like the Packers consistently do). And if you want AJ as your Bengals QB then the hump of "can he even play after the injury" is crossed off.

And yes Andy had just as nice a game, and had the neck injury not caused Marvin to be cautious (and it wasn't just us - teams all over the league have started pulling their first string earlier in preseason games) he likely would have looked just as good for the next couple of drives.

Why in both cases? Because unlike last week the first string OL came to play this week. They kept both QBs pretty clean albeit against a Bear defense not only changing its scheme but with 6 new starters. Last week Winston, Zeitler and Bodine all looked like high school boys out there. This week they were more solid with one exception - the interior of the line was directly culpable for us failing three consecutive goal line runs which led to Andy's 4th down and goal QB sneak TD.

So let's just be happy AJ looked sharp and the OL looked like they had their heads in the game - no need to start trashing anyone in that process as it isn't "either/or".

^This. McCarron played great (as did Dalton) against the Bears and this is good news, but so far has done basically nothing to unseat Dalton.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 06:13 PM)BigSeph Wrote: The second sack Houston came in untouched from the right while AJ is looking at his first read, a WR on his left.  Anybody gets sacked there, no amount of "pocket presence" matters for any QB in that situation.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't part of the QB's job - at least on the Bengals - to adjust the blocking assignments?

Just sayin'.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
So who had the cleaner looking throws ? Dalton or AJ ? They both had same amount of completed passes with starters who had the cleaner throws ?

I am not a Mccaron fan and I posted earlier in this very thread saying that the guy was talked about way to much considering he hadn't thrown a single pass in the NFL. He was the cleaner of the two quarterbacks imo and is a beautiful thrower of the football. It looked like he was having fun and the receivers were feeding off his energy.

Now this may be an anomaly and who knows how he would play vs better teams or in high pressure situations, but he put up good tape yesterday.

So the question is.... who had cleaner tape last night playing with the 1's

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 06:49 PM)Okeana Wrote: So who had the cleaner looking throws ? Dalton or AJ ?  They both had same amount of completed passes with starters who had the cleaner throws ?  

I am not a Mccaron fan and I posted earlier in this very thread saying that the guy was talked about way to much considering he hadn't thrown a single pass in the NFL.  He was the cleaner of the two quarterbacks imo and is a beautiful thrower of the football.  It looked like he was having fun and the receivers were feeding off his energy.  

Now this may be an anomaly and who knows how he would play vs better teams or in high pressure situations, but he put up good tape yesterday.

So the question is.... who had cleaner tape last night playing with the 1's

AJ must have really worked on his throwing motion because he never looked that crisp in college. The ball was thrown from just behind the ear and he had a high release. He looked more like a baseball pitcher in college. 

I think it was obvious AJ had the better night as a passer. Dalton was fine too it just seemed like the team had a slightly harder go of it when he was under center. AJ played like a pro and made it look easier than it was. The question is can he keep that up. 

Dalton has certainly done everything AJ showed us and it would be dumb to walk away from a guy with that experience. But if AJ continues to impress in his limited chances, people are going to start questioning which guy should we trade. 
Reply/Quote