Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
AJ on The Franchise Tag
I have reached the point with Green and Ross that although elite athletes, you cannot count on them. I would not spend and risk a franchise tag on a player that has missed so many games.

I am ready to move on from both players. I know Burrow, if selected, needs help but why not sign Amari Cooper to a large contract instead?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 01:57 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I have reached the point with Green and Ross that although elite athletes, you cannot count on them.  I would not spend and risk a franchise tag on a player that has missed so many games.  

I am ready to move on from both players.  I know Burrow, if selected, needs help but why not sign Amari Cooper to a large contract instead?

Indeed. Same with Eifert.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 04:48 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why the hell would another team pay him 18 million and give up 2 1st rounders? Not happening.

Tiger  First of all, I never said anything about 2 1st rounders.

Some team who needs WR help will pay him for 2-3 years. !8 mil for year 1(covers) the tag and whatever they agree on for the last 1-2 yrs (which I'm thinking will be a front loaded contract)... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 01:57 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I have reached the point with Green and Ross that although elite athletes, you cannot count on them.  I would not spend and risk a franchise tag on a player that has missed so many games.  

I am ready to move on from both players.  I know Burrow, if selected, needs help but why not sign Amari Cooper to a large contract instead?

I don't know much about the cowboys cap but I can't see them letting Cooper get away after giving up a first round pick for him. If they can't get a contract done I expect him to be Franchise Tagged.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 08:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/news/a-j-green-probably-won-t-play-last-two-games-but-off-season-training-starts-on-t

Pretty much said franchise me and I'll play just enough to get credit for the year; which I believe is after week 10. Starting to like this dude less and less. We basically paid him a whole year to wear a sweatshirt on the sideline. Dude should be like "I owe you a year"

haha I'm laughing at all of you guys who didn't want to trade him. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 08:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly...is it wise to pay a WR $18 million who has missed the last 24 or so games?

I doubt the Patriots or Steelers would franchise him. They'd thank him for their service and move on.

not wise to committ long term when he hasnt been on the field in while.    we will see if hes all about the money or the legacy soon.
Reply/Quote
This situation with AJ is a tough one. 

He's a helluva weapon when healthy...but at the same time, he hasn't played in a year and a half. 

You'll rarely find me defending the Bengals front office, but I'm not sure what they could do any differently in this situation. Some say they should've traded him, but I don't remember seeing reports of any actual offers for AJ before the deadline. On the Bengals part, they've had his back. They kept him on the roster all year in hopes they he would eventually be able to play. Zac has publicly made statements supporting AJ. Again, I'm not sure what else they could have done.

I've always been a huge AJ fan, but I don't really want them giving him anything more than a year at this point. Not until he can prove he's healthy, and more importantly, can stay healthy for a full season. The franchise tag seems to be the only safe option. You can't just let him walk and and only end up with a comp pick next year, and you can't trade him unless he's tagged and cleared medically to the satisfaction of other teams.

I honestly just think it's time for the Andy/AJ era to be over I've rooted for both since they were drafted, but man, it just seems like it's time to move on and focus on the next era, whatever the hell that is. 
Reply/Quote
AJ Green's injury history the past 3-4 years is almost to the same point as Eifert.
He's missed 27 games and counting since the start of the 2016 season. Eifert has missed 34 games.
Prior to 2016, AJ only missed a total of 4 games in 5 years.

If you cannot be relied on to see the field, I don't think that's worth a franchise tag. Nor do I think that's worth a nice extension.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
A WR franchise tag will cost ~$18.5 mill.
Dalton's final year will cost $17.7 mill.
Combined that's $36.2 mill.

Imagine what other players you could go get instead of Dalton and Green with that same money.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 08:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly...is it wise to pay a WR $18 million who has missed the last 24 or so games?

I doubt the Patriots or Steelers would franchise him. They'd thank him for their service and move on.

Both of those franchises don't stand pat with current players. AJ has been paid well for his services( 90 million) so fans who think the team would be cheap to let him walk need to think this through.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 04:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: A WR franchise tag will cost ~$18.5 mill.

Imagine what other players you could go get instead of Dalton and Green with that same money.

You want to see some production when you spent sixty million  on them in the last two years. Time to take that money and buy some replacements.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 04:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: A WR franchise tag will cost ~$18.5 mill.

Cut Hart and Glenn and use all that cap space to fix the offensive line. But, I know they won’t do it.
Reply/Quote
I'm astonished at how many of you are bashing on Green. The guy has always played like an Elite Receiver whenever he's on the field. LOOK AT WHERE WE ARE WITHOUT HIM! His presence alone makes this team far more competitive just with how much coverage he demands.

ARE YOU GUYS NOT EXITED ABOUT PAIRING HIM WITH JOE BURROW???

and he didn't even say anything bad. At all. In fact, he said he wants to play in Cincinnati for the rest of his Career. I honestly don't know what most of you are even talking about in this thread. Injuries happen, and his injury might have just landed us a franchise QB.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 05:31 PM)Weazzel80 Wrote: The guy has always played like an Elite Receiver whenever he's on the field.

Not bashing him as I truly think he has been a great player for the Bengals.  The problem is he has not been able to spend much time on the field to be "elite" during the 2018 and 2019 (zero in 2019) seasons.  Toss in he reaching an age where performance tends to decline combined with all his recent injury history and I think it is fair to be skeptical.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 04:27 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: This situation with AJ is a tough one. 

He's a helluva weapon when healthy...but at the same time, he hasn't played in a year and a half. 

You'll rarely find me defending the Bengals front office, but I'm not sure what they could do any differently in this situation. Some say they should've traded him, but I don't remember seeing reports of any actual offers for AJ before the deadline. On the Bengals part, they've had his back. They kept him on the roster all year in hopes they he would eventually be able to play. Zac has publicly made statements supporting AJ. Again, I'm not sure what else they could have done.

I've always been a huge AJ fan, but I don't really want them giving him anything more than a year at this point. Not until he can prove he's healthy, and more importantly, can stay healthy for a full season. The franchise tag seems to be the only safe option. You can't just let him walk and and only end up with a comp pick next year, and you can't trade him unless he's tagged and cleared medically to the satisfaction of other teams.

I honestly just think it's time for the Andy/AJ era to be over I've rooted for both since they were drafted, but man, it just seems like it's time to move on and focus on the next era, whatever the hell that is. 
Kind of a catch 22 situation. Even if he is healthy and signs the tag does he go balls to the wall and hope the Bengals don't franchise him again or does he slow play most of the season so he won't get injured.  He signed the last contract after four straight 1000+yard seasons with only 26 mil guaranteed. After the last two years it seems he would want to give a team discount. If he wants Julio money let him walk.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 02:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Indeed. Same with Eifert.

Yep, agree about A Cooper and Hunter Henry could be available as well, and several others, seems to have been a big influx of young TE's in the last few years, so some vets are looking for jobs now.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 05:29 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Cut Hart and Glenn and use all that cap space to fix the offensive line. But, I know they won’t do it.

With Williams coming off IR and possibly getting a FA or high round draft pick we may be alright next year. No matter what they do they will need o-line depth. I also think that Burrow will bring a different dimension that will help the line immensely.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 05:31 PM)Weazzel80 Wrote: I'm astonished at how many of you are bashing on Green. The guy has always played like an Elite Receiver whenever he's on the field. LOOK AT WHERE WE ARE WITHOUT HIM! His presence alone makes this team far more competitive just with how much coverage he demands.  

ARE YOU GUYS NOT EXITED ABOUT PAIRING HIM WITH JOE BURROW???

and he didn't even say anything bad. At all. In fact, he said he wants to play in Cincinnati for the rest of his Career. I honestly don't know what most of you are even talking about in this thread. Injuries happen, and his injury might have just landed us a franchise QB.

I don't think many are 'bashing' AJ. I think most respect him and what he's done when he's been on the field. The problem is that he hasn't been on the field for a long time...and there's no way of knowing what you'll get from him if he's re-signed. It's a gamble, IMO, to do anything other than tagging him and letting him prove he can stay on the field for a full season...or trying to get some value for him after he's tagged and declared good to go medically.

When you say injuries happen, that's true, but when injuries start compiling and keep you off the field more than you're on it, it has to be a real concern and be a factor in the decision making process. When this season is done, he'll have missed 29 of the last 54 games. Plus, they're just 15-19-1 in the last 35 games that he has played in. 

Nothing about that is disrespect towards AJ. It's just the facts of the current situation...unfortunately.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 04:09 PM)Okeana Wrote: haha I'm laughing at all of you guys who didn't want to trade him. 

...and I'm laughing at folks that think you can trade an injured player. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
AJ updated his trip to the doctor on Cincy Jungle . Was given a clean bill of heath for next year and said if he were tagged he would play but not attend any team activities so he wouldn't risk being injured. He said he is his own business ad had to look out for his best interest. These statements tell me he wants a ton of upfront money . Bye Bye AJ.
Reply/Quote