Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
AJ on The Franchise Tag
(12-19-2019, 11:46 AM)lone bengal Wrote: We're 3 great drafts away from even being a contender.

That's some solid truth right there!  Whatever
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 11:49 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That's some solid truth right there!  Whatever

Lol without using free agency and with all the holes on our team we basically have to hit on all our draft picks and we just have the standard 7. Part of the success of the 2011-2015 teams were built of trading vets for picks. We traded Palmer to Oakland got a 1st and 2nd and ended up drafting Bernard and Zeitler. We traded Keith Rivers to the Giants for a 5th and drafted George Iloka with that pick. We traded Chad Johnson to the Patriots for a 5th and drafted Marvin Jones with that pick.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 11:46 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Probably nothing now if he’s tagged. Should have moved him and other vets at the deadline. A guy like Eifert is just going to walk after the season and we’re going to get nothing for him which makes no sense.  Letting guys like Dunlap and Atkins play out there contract until there 33-34 on a bad team makes no sense either. Need to get younger and develop young  players.  Were 3 great drafts away from even being a contender.

Let me say this again" NO team was trading  a high draft pick for a player who hadn't been on the field for a full year".  I also disagree that we are three drafts away from being a contender. The top QB in the draft, a top RB in the league, the return of Williams , along with a lot of cash to buy help on the defense will shorten your predictions by one year or maybe even two. Dunlap(9mil) and Atkins (11 mil)have already been paid the bulk of their contracts and will be on the cheap(you have to have line men).  Biggest needs WR, LBers, and O-line . I believe if we are lucky we can fill those needs next off season and be competitive in 2020.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 12:17 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Let me say this again" NO team was trading  a high draft pick for a player who hadn't been on the field for a full year".  I also disagree that we are three drafts away from being a contender. The top QB in the draft, a top RB in the league, the return of Williams , along with a lot of cash to buy help on the defense will shorten your predictions by one year or maybe even two. Dunlap(9mil) and Atkins (11 mil)have already been paid the bulk of their contracts and will be on the cheap(you have to have line men).  Biggest needs WR, LBers, and O-line . I believe if we are lucky we can fill those needs next off season and be competitive in 2020.

Best case scenario we draft Borrow who is a franchise QB and Williams ends up being a good LT we would have two of the most important positions on offense locked up. Resigning Hopkins to a reasonable contract would be my top priority far as our own free agents. But we would still have needs at both guards, RT and WR1 assuming Ross and Green aren’t part of the future. Mixion is due for a big contract and I’m personally against playing RB’s big money. Even with extra cash to spend on defense do you think the Bengals will really sign impact free agents ? We need two linebackers, William Jackson is our only good young CB and is due for an extension. Hubbard is our only good young full time D-lineman. Dunlap and Atkins are old and Lawson is just a pass rusher, and Billings contract is up. Plus we have no idea if Taylor can even coach.
Reply/Quote
According to AJ he doesn't believe he needs to prove he's healthy for a long term deal.

I honestly can't believe some of this stuff right now. He compares himself to Julio Jones and says he will play another 5 years.

Is he implying he wants a simiilar deal to Jones? 3 years $66m? or is he asking for a five year deal based on his word?

I hope even the Bengals aren't this stupid.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 11:46 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Probably nothing now if he’s tagged. Should have moved him and other vets at the deadline. A guy like Eifert is just going to walk after the season and we’re going to get nothing for him which makes no sense.  Letting guys like Dunlap and Atkins play out there contract until there 33-34 on a bad team makes no sense either. Need to get younger and develop young  players.  Were 3 great drafts away from even being a contender.

The way this front office drafts that could take 15 years to have those 3 great drafts. Just because the team is drafting high doesn't mean they'll draft great. We've seen this before.

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 06:42 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: With Williams coming off IR and possibly getting a FA or high round draft pick we may be alright next year. No matter what they do they will need o-line depth. I also think that Burrow will bring a different dimension that will help the line immensely.

The offensive line is horrible. Maybe one out of five doesn’t need to be replaced. Hopefully Williams lives up to his draft position, but as of right now he is unproven in the NFL so he could be the next Whitworth or Ogbuehi. Time will tell. Glenn hasn’t lived up to expectations or his salary. Combined with the lengthy concussion recovery the team needs to move on. Hart is awful and over paid. I wouldn’t keep him as a back up. At a minimum they need a RT and an interior offensive lineman. Which means Mike Brown will need to pay about $12 million/season for a starter quality free agent offensive lineman . . . three years ago. No way MB ponies up the money necessary.
Reply/Quote
Please let him walk. We've paid him enough to watch. He's done.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 04:33 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You make a lot of excuses for Geno not putting up big numbers and point out how he draws double teams and has to be planned for, well the same is true for AJ. More so actually. Even if he’s “only” putting up around 1k yds he’s opening up other guys because DB’s are primarily concerned with AJ.

If he’s healthy, he’s a difference maker. And could absolutely put a good teamer the top. I’m sure NE or SF would love to have him.

I do get what you’re saying but it’s apples to oranges really. Geno is already under contract and isn’t currently injured. Now, Geno will keep gradually declining and I’m all for trading guys after they have peaked and when they start their decline. The Bengals don’t know when to flip their assets.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 01:32 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The offensive line is horrible. Maybe one out of five doesn’t need to be replaced. Hopefully Williams lives up to his draft position, but as of right now he is unproven in the NFL so he could be the next Whitworth or Ogbuehi. Time will tell. Glenn hasn’t lived up to expectations or his salary. Combined with the lengthy concussion recovery the team needs to move on. Hart is awful and over paid. I wouldn’t keep him as a back up. At a minimum they need a RT and an interior offensive lineman. Which means Mike Brown will need to pay about $12 million/season for a starter quality free agent offensive lineman . . . three years ago. No way MB ponies up the money necessary.o-line has been bad but new players may inspire

Giving AJ and Dalton their walking papers gives them 30 mil. I look at the 0-line as a unit , it only takes one bad link to make the rest look bad .  With Burrows and Williams coming in next year we basically are getting two first rounders next year. Maybe our new QB will bring in some other players who WANT to come to the Bengals and be a part of a NEW team.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 02:53 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Giving AJ and Dalton their walking papers gives them 30 mil. I look at the 0-line as a unit , it only takes one bad link to make the rest look bad .  With Burrows and Williams coming in next year we basically are getting two first rounders next year. Maybe our new QB will bring in some other players who WANT to come to the Bengals and be a part of a NEW team.

How long have you observed the Bengals’ approach to the offseason and building the roster? because cutting veterans still under contract and spending on big money free agents, especially offensive linemen, completely flies in the face of model model.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 06:42 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: How long have you observed the Bengals’ approach to the offseason and building the roster? because cutting veterans still under contract and spending on big money free agents, especially offensive linemen, completely flies in the face of model model.

Green isn't under contract for2020. Dalton's 17 mil contract would give MB enough incentive to replace him and buy help in other areas Will they do this ?  Probably not but if they want to rebuild that would be the best way to do it IMO.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 07:20 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Green isn't under contract for2020. Dalton's 17 mil contract would give MB enough incentive to replace him and buy help in other areas Will they do this ?  Probably not but if they want to rebuild that would be the best way to do it IMO.

I know Green isn’t under contract. But, Dalton is. I doubt they cut or trade Dalton. They are more likely to sit Burrow a year while Dalton plays it his contract.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 07:38 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote:  They are more likely to sit Burrow a year while Dalton plays it his contract.

That was the old way of thinking. Most top draft pick QBs play their first season.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 08:59 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: That was the old way of thinking. Most top draft pick QBs play their first season.

Yeah, there’s no reason to sit Burrow. Especially since he already runs a pro style offense at LSU. Might as well not waste a year of his rookie contract.

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 08:59 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: That was the old way of thinking. Most top draft pick QBs play their first season.

LMAO

Everything this team does is the old way of thinking.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 08:31 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: This is the stuff that’s silly. Nobody is really bashing AJ, he’s had a really good career with the Bengals. It’s just not a good business plan to spend 18 Million dollars on any player that has missed the last year and a half, it doesn’t matter what his name is. You spend that 18.5 Mil on someone that’s healthy. AJ has been a top 5-10 Receiver, he’s not the best in the game! His career could very well be over.

Heck, myself and Berserker/RoyalRedLegs used to question paying a receiver that much, period. When you look at the elite teams that win consistently, they rarely pay top notch money to WR's. Then you look at the highest paid WR's, and their teams rarely do anything. Think Megatron, Chad, Andre Johnson, Julio Jones, Larry Fitzgerald, Odell Beckham, Dez Bryant, Nuk Hopkins, etc.

Out of all those guys and all those millions, you have 2 Super Bowls and 0 rings. Good teams scheme their receivers open and use that big money elsewhere.

Either way, it's a no-brainer to move on now, with his injury issues over the last 5 years (33 games missed) and him wanting a big contract. He's not going to get that from any other team, and for good reason.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 10:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Heck, myself and Berserker/RoyalRedLegs used to question paying a receiver that much, period. When you look at the elite teams that win consistently, they rarely pay top notch money to WR's. Then you look at the highest paid WR's, and their teams rarely do anything. Think Megatron, Chad, Andre Johnson, Julio Jones, Larry Fitzgerald, Odell Beckham, Dez Bryant, Nuk Hopkins, etc.

Out of all those guys and all those millions, you have 2 Super Bowls and 0 rings. Good teams scheme their receivers open and use that big money elsewhere.

Either way, it's a no-brainer to move on now, with his injury issues over the last 5 years (33 games missed) and him wanting a big contract. He's not going to get that from any other team, and for good reason.

It is a weird trend. Idk about their pay but elite WR’s used to win SB’s all the time like Rice and Irvin.

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 05:07 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Why keep a guy who doesn't want to be here on a bad team.that is going to be bad for 3 or 4.more years as they rebuild? 

By the time this team finally gets over the hump again he will be 36, why have him here?? 

As for the wheel and deal, that is not Mike's strong suit unless Hue is the other teams head coach. 

(12-19-2019, 07:06 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Tag him and have a disgruntled presence In the locker room. Tag him and he won't come to any non required team activities.Take the 18 mil and try to buy help for our new team. AJ said just YESTERDAY that he is a business and he won't risk injury before his next long term contract.

Who Dey
                So you guys are OK with allowing a former 1st rounder + somebody who owes this football team a year and a half of salary (for games not played) to just waltz off to Free Agency and possibly sign with one of the other AFC-N teams ??

I'm not. 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 10:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Heck, myself and Berserker/RoyalRedLegs used to question paying a receiver that much, period. When you look at the elite teams that win consistently, they rarely pay top notch money to WR's. Then you look at the highest paid WR's, and their teams rarely do anything. Think Megatron, Chad, Andre Johnson, Julio Jones, Larry Fitzgerald, Odell Beckham, Dez Bryant, Nuk Hopkins, etc.

That’s a very good point. It’s seems to be a luxury that doesn’t matter as much as having a QB that can lead and distribute the ball and a line that allows him to do that. Some of the WR stuff is from the whole sports center hoopla. Of course having a killer D goes a long way too! I’m with you on it being a no-brainer but so was not extending Hart.
Reply/Quote