Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
AJ on The Franchise Tag
Even good marriages end up in a divorce.

Marvin gone. Andy (will be) gone. Lastly, the great AJ will be gone, too.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 10:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It is a weird trend. Idk about their pay but elite WR’s used to win SB’s all the time like Rice and Irvin.

True. The cost of elite WR's has been skyrocketing though. The top ones almost get QB money at this point.

(12-20-2019, 12:28 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: That’s a very good point. It’s seems to be a luxury that doesn’t matter as much as having a QB that can lead and distribute the ball and a line that allows him to do that. Some of the WR stuff is from the whole sports center hoopla. Of course having a killer D goes a long way too! I’m with you on it being a no-brainer but so was not extending Hart.

Exactly. I think it's a luxury that probably allows the OC to get complacent/lazy. When you don't have a beast WR, you probably have to be a bit more creative to get your guys open. Of course, an elite QB helps get receivers "open" as well. I'd say you need a bit of both.

If you're just signing mid-tier WR's or taking fliers on cheaper players at that spot, it allows you to beef up other areas. We just need the QB and coaching to enable us to do this. We also need a more intelligent front office that can get with the times.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 11:45 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Who Dey
                So you guys are OK with allowing a former 1st rounder + somebody who owes this football team a year and a half of salary (for games not played) to just waltz off to Free Agency and possibly sign with one of the other AFC-N teams ??

I'm not. 
Just when are you going to be OK with moving on from a "former" first rounder? You have to figure in the injuries(he actually owes the Bengals nothing). In the last year and a half he has contributed zilch but I guess you are OK with paying him a minimum of 18 mil( tag price that he says he won't do anything to jeopardize himself because he wants a "last big contract) to see if he will return to his form of two years ago? IMO not too smart.
Reply/Quote
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/12/19/21028691/bengals-a-j-green-injury-news-contract-nfl-franchise-tag

Didn't see this in here, so I thought I'd link it. AJ says he won't "risk injury" by participating in OTA's without a long term deal.

It doesn't really matter at this point if we think he's a total fake or one step away from having his foot amputated. He hasn't played in a year and a half and he won't participate in OTA's without a big money deal, meaning he won't develop any chemistry with a presumed new QB. It's time to move on. There's no point in tagging him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 08:49 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Just when are you going to be OK with moving on from a "former" first rounder? You have to figure in the injuries(he actually owes the Bengals nothing). In the last year and a half he has contributed zilch but I guess you are OK with paying him a minimum of 18 mil( tag price that he says he won't do anything to jeopardize himself because he wants a "last big contract) to see if he will return to his form of two years ago? IMO not too smart.

Who Dey
             I'll be OK "moving on" from a 1st round draft pick who has been in the top 5 his entire career when he's is truly ready to retire. You can tell me that he doesn't owe the Bengals anything all day, doesn't change the fact that they paid him to do a year and a half of nothing. Anybody who is half the person AJ is supposed to be, would feel an obligation to that team. Everybody is screaming for Joe Burrow, he has to have somebody to throw the ball to. Tyler Boyd is not a number 1 receiver.  he becomes a very capable #2 with AJ on the field. Don't have to pay the man 18 mil for one year if they'd stop low-balling and come to a reasonable agreement.

Letting him go to a team you have to play twice a year is not to smart...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 11:35 AM)JSR18 Wrote: Who Dey
             I'll be OK "moving on" from a 1st round draft pick who has been in the top 5 his entire career when he's is truly ready to retire. You can tell me that he doesn't owe the Bengals anything all day, doesn't change the fact that they paid him to do a year and a half of nothing. Anybody who is half the person AJ is supposed to be, would feel an obligation to that team. Everybody is screaming for Joe Burrow, he has to have somebody to throw the ball to. Tyler Boyd is not a number 1 receiver.  he becomes a very capable #2 with AJ on the field. Don't have to pay the man 18 mil for one year if they'd stop low-balling and come to a reasonable agreement.

Letting him go to a team you have to play twice a year is not to smart...
Tagging him is the ONLY way AJ returns other than getting a ' last big contract".  You say the FO is low balling him but I would bet MB will offer more than any other team. They have wasted 25 mil on him over the last few years . It's time to move on . Even the niners cut Rice when the cost didn't equal the benefit.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 12:38 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Tagging him is the ONLY way AJ returns other than getting a ' last big contract".  You say the FO is low balling him but I would bet MB will offer more than any other team. They have wasted 25 mil on him over the last few years . It's time to move on . Even the niners cut Rice when the cost didn't equal the benefit.

I still think the benefit equals the cost.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree... 

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

Reply/Quote
I am a huge A J Green fan.

But even I agree it would be crazy to use the franchise tag on him. At his age with his injury history he won't get HALF that much from any other team in the league.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 12:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am a huge A J Green fan.

But even I agree it would be crazy to use the franchise tag on him.  At his age with his injury history he won't get HALF that much from any other team in the league.

What about a tag and trade?
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 02:24 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: What about a tag and trade?

Nobody is going to give anything of value in trade for a guy who hasn't played in a year and a half.  That $18:mil tag basically becomes the floor for guaranteed money in a potential new long term deal and nobody is giving him that, either.  Plus, it's a loaded WR class and any team would be dumb to give up draft picks and a huge chunk of cap space for a has been WR who is delusional about his market value.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 08:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/news/a-j-green-probably-won-t-play-last-two-games-but-off-season-training-starts-on-t

Pretty much said franchise me and I'll play just enough to get credit for the year; which I believe is after week 10. Starting to like this dude less and less. We basically paid him a whole year to wear a sweatshirt on the sideline. Dude should be like "I owe you a year"

I also find it hilarious he said he'll make another pro-bowl, but he doesn't say it'll be in the Bengals uniform. I forgive him though really, this team is just junk. As if Burrow can come in here and do anything with the team as constructed.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 11:45 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Who Dey
                So you guys are OK with allowing a former 1st rounder + somebody who owes this football team a year and a half of salary (for games not played) to just waltz off to Free Agency and possibly sign with one of the other AFC-N teams ??

I'm not. 

What does the team gain by keeping him? He is older and has had injuries, it isn't like we are going to be competitive next season or the season after that.

He doesn't owe the team anything, he got hurt while under contract and the team carried him rather then IR him, that is a management issue not a player issue.

Also, not sure why you assume he is going to go to an AFC North team, from all things I have read the teams most likely to try and land him would be New England, cause...it's what they do and Philly who is desperate for WRs.

The guy deserves better then Mike Brown and this crap anyways. I'd like to see him in Philly with a good coach and good management and Carson Wentz. I think he'd have a chance to win a playoff game maybe even a Super Bowl. Why should we wish it upon him to spend the last few productive years of his career stuck on a 3 or 4 win team?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
His durability suggests a contract that would be incentive laden. I mean he is still not healthy and able to play and wants to cash in. I'm not opposed to paying him big, but there would have to be performance clauses. Sounds like he is unhappy if tagged so I wouldn't go that route.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 01:57 PM)Goalpost Wrote: His durability suggests a contract that would be incentive laden.  I mean he is still not healthy and able to play and wants to cash in.  I'm not opposed to paying him big, but there would have to be performance clauses.  Sounds like he is unhappy if tagged so I wouldn't go that route.

If he is unhappy with 18 mil what makes you think he would take a incentive based contract? His last deal had 26 mil guarramteed. Sounds like he is shooting for the stars when he ought to be trying to prove he even deserves the tag.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 02:24 PM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: What about a tag and trade?
That's my idea tag him and trade him. Let the Bengals decide where the "my ankle is swollen" wuss plays his next football.

If it were me, it would be somewhere that doesnt have prayer to sniff the playoffs for the next 5 yrs...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 03:19 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: What does the team gain by keeping him? He is older and has had injuries, it isn't like we are going to be competitive next season or the season after that.

He doesn't owe the team anything, he got hurt while under contract and the team carried him rather then IR him, that is a management issue not a player issue.

Also, not sure why you assume he is going to go to an AFC North team, from all things I have read the teams most likely to try and land him would be New England, cause...it's what they do and Philly who is desperate for WRs.

The guy deserves better then Mike Brown and this crap anyways. I'd like to see him in Philly with a good coach and good management and Carson Wentz. I think he'd have a chance to win a playoff game maybe even a Super Bowl. Why should we wish it upon him to spend the last few productive years of his career stuck on a 3 or 4 win team?
Because I don't give a rats ass about anybody who doesn't wear a tiger striped helmet...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 11:19 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: If he is unhappy with 18 mil what makes you think he would take a incentive based contract? His last deal had 26 mil guarramteed. Sounds like he is shooting for the stars when he ought to be trying to prove he even deserves the tag.

Reading between the lines, I think AJ Green is saying he's done being loyal to the Bengals. They've stunk for 4 straight years while doing little to fix it, and they took a pretty big dump on his boy Andy. I think he wants a big contract to stay, or he's more than happy moving on to another team if the pay is less than what he wants.

On our end, the smart move would be to move on and invest in the lines (both offense and defense). The money we'd save on AJ Green, Dalton and Glenn would (should) be instrumental in revamping this team around Joe Burrow. You're talking around $40 million right there.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2019, 09:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Reading between the lines, I think AJ Green is saying he's done being loyal to the Bengals. They've stunk for 4 straight years while doing little to fix it, and they took a pretty big dump on his boy Andy. I think he wants a big contract to stay, or he's more than happy moving on to another team if the pay is less than what he wants.

On our end, the smart move would be to move on and invest in the lines (both offense and defense). The money we'd save on AJ Green, Dalton and Glenn would (should) be instrumental in revamping this team around Joe Burrow. You're talking around $40 million right there.

I’m fine AJ moving on if he so wishes. Has been injury laden of late he is basically Ross 2.0. Couple that with the fact in big/playoff games he always seems to have boneheaded drops or fumbles I have no problem with him moving on. He is delusional to think at this point right now he deserves a big extended contract. As someone else pointed out if he stays thr contract should be incentive heavy.
Reply/Quote
These geniuses placed him on IR today:
Quote:With one game left on the schedule, the Cincinnati Bengals decided to shut down their star receiver by sending him to injured reserve. Injuries suffered during Sunday’s loss to Miami forced the team’s hand.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/12/23/bengals-aj-green-injured-reserve/

Why bother?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 04:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: These geniuses placed him on IR today:

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/12/23/bengals-aj-green-injured-reserve/

Why bother?

Probably brought someone up off the practice squad likely a corner if Jackson is hurt.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote