Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
AJM to learn fate 2/15
I hope they get a 2nd. Mike Brown is such a smart man
Reply/Quote
With both the Vikes and Eagles doing what they did this season with backups under center, coupled with maybe 30% of bengaldom wanting to give AJ a chance.......I think keeping him has worked out in our favor considerably. However give me a second for him and ill pack his bags.
Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals win this and he's a RFA. Then I think they continue to keep him and in the end get nothing out of him.

This will be 50 percent the Bengals fault for not trading him when they should have. The other 50 percent will be the result of a QB market that looks fairly saturated between free agency and the draft.

They screwed the pooch on this one for sure, with help from Cleveland. Who would you want to shell out cash or picks for? Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins, or Teddy Bridgewater? A fresh start with Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Jackson, or Mayfield? Or AJ freaking McCarron? They've lost a ton of leverage by waiting and ending up in this particular offseason.

The only thing they will have going for them is the fact that AJ will still be cheap under a rookie deal and can be had for a pick as a one-year trial. They can give him a shot without being tied to him in any long term way, so I suppose that's somewhat enticing.

Bengal things being Bengal, I see them getting a lot less than a second for him when the qb musical chairs game ends and then keeping him as a backup until his contact ends.
Reply/Quote
I think he'll end up a Restricted Free Agent. After the 49ers deal, he'll be looking for a big payday. Elsewhere.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 04:18 AM)Shady Wrote: With Teddy B, Foles, and others on the market, plus a QB rich draft class, I think we'd serve AJ and our franchise better by hanging on to him for another year.  I say that because I don't think we can get a 2d rounder for him. If I'm wrong on that count and we can, then by all means trade him. I just don't think we'll see a second rounder for him.

Should we take a third rounder for him? How much do you trust Jeff Driskell?

I think at this point you have to do the guy a solid and let him go. Why keep holding on to a guy that clearly wants a shot elsewhere? The professional thing to do would be to let him go for whatever we can get. Mac will be 29 years old before the 2019 season and I doubt anyone is going to want to sign him to a decent contract and make him their starter at that point. His value is in his rookie contract, which allows a team to get an extended audition at a bargain price. Without that value, I don't think he gets a shot.

(02-11-2018, 01:56 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I think he'll end up a Restricted Free Agent. After the 49ers deal, he'll be looking for a big payday. Elsewhere.

He has yet to earn that payday the way Jimmy G did.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 11:21 AM)samhain Wrote: This will be 50 percent the Bengals fault for not trading him when they should have.

Well since the Bengals DID trade him that makes it zero percent their fault.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2018, 05:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Well since the Bengals DID trade him that makes it zero percent their fault.

When they should have, i.e. not at the very last minute before the deadline.  
Reply/Quote
Man I hope we win this and he is restricted.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2018, 11:36 PM)samhain Wrote: When they should have, i.e. not at the very last minute before the deadline.  

Yeah, if another franchise had botched the trade I would blame them, but depending on a comically bad franchise at the last minute so you can get max value is just begging for disappointment.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Only a couple days away now.

Seriously hope we can get something for him as i like Driskel better anyways going off of last year.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 04:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Only a couple days away now.

Seriously hope we can get something for him as i like Driskel better anyways going off of last year.

We would be lucky to even get a years subscription to Playboy! Somehow I think the FO would screw that up too.

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 04:25 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: We would be lucky to even get a years subscription to Playboy! Somehow I think the FO would screw that up too.

They definately screwed it up. He actually had some value last year before the Preseason when he sucked it up.

That would of been the time to trade him. Could not believe the Stains wanted him after what he showed last Offseason.

Driskel was much better and he can run.

That dude did the Stains a favor bumbling that trade.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 04:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: They definately screwed it up. He actually had some value last year before the Preseason when he sucked it up.

That would of been the time to trade him. Could not believe the Stains wanted him after what he showed last Offseason.

Driskel was much better and he can run.

That dude did the Stains a favor bumbling that trade.

I think the right time was after 2015 when the league had seen him play serviceably in Andy's absence (save for 3 quarters of the Pittsburgh playoff game).  He had 2 years left regardless and could have been a nice option for a team looking to make a qb change without shelling out big money.  I suppose it's possible that no team offered them anything, but it seems unlikely to me.

Now, even if he's restricted, I'm not sure a team gives up a second (could be wrong about what they would have to give the Bengals) to procure him.  Way too many options out there at or above his level to get crazy trying to pry him away.  I think he's a Bengal if he gets RFA'd.  We know that the family's asking price for him is high, and the family doesn't budge on those sorts of things too often.
Reply/Quote
It might be tomorrow. The mods can determine if this needs it's own thread, but I really dive into the how's and why's of the case here:
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/02/13/inside-aj-mccarron-grievance-against-cincinnati-bengals/333587002/
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2018, 11:36 PM)samhain Wrote: When they should have, i.e. not at the very last minute before the deadline.  

They traded him when they could get the highest value.  That is exactly what they should have done.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 06:32 PM)samhain Wrote: I think the right time was after 2015 when the league had seen him play serviceably in Andy's absence (save for 3 quarters of the Pittsburgh playoff game).  He had 2 years left regardless and could have been a nice option for a team looking to make a qb change without shelling out big money.  I suppose it's possible that no team offered them anything, but it seems unlikely to me. 

If the Brown offered a 2nd and a 3rd this year how much do you think they could have gotten for Mccarron after 2015?

I was against trading him then because we looked like a contender and we had no other viable option at back up QB.  I wnated to keep AJ in case we needed him again like we did in 2015.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 07:31 PM)jowczarski Wrote: It might be tomorrow. The mods can determine if this needs it's own thread, but I really dive into the how's and why's of the case here:
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/02/13/inside-aj-mccarron-grievance-against-cincinnati-bengals/333587002/

Good read, thanks for the link. It’ll definitely be interesting to see how it plays out. I hope the Bengals win and trade him somewhere where he can compete for a starting job (and get us a nice return in the process). If they aren’t going to trade him then I hope he wins and signs a nice deal with someone else. Then he’d get his shot and the bengals get a compensatory pick for him in 2019 instead of 2020. Who knows, him winning could end up being the best outcome for Cincy if they aren’t going to trade him
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 07:31 PM)jowczarski Wrote: It might be tomorrow. The mods can determine if this needs it's own thread, but I really dive into the how's and why's of the case here:

I'm glad they're leaning towards the 2nd round tender, because a 5th is barely worth the trouble and a 1st would scare everyone off. 

McCarron for just one 2nd rounder should at least be enticing for the Browns, as it's less than what they just offered.

If I'm the Browns, I spend a first on a Baker Mayfield and a 2nd on McCarron. Have them compete with each other, or let Mac play while Mayfield takes a redshirt year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

I read this article yesterday and a must read. TY Jim.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 09:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm glad they're leaning towards the 2nd round tender, because a 5th is barely worth the trouble and a 1st would scare everyone off. 

McCarron for just one 2nd rounder should at least be enticing for the Browns, as it's less than what they just offered.

If I'm the Browns, I spend a first on a Baker Mayfield and a 2nd on McCarron. Have them compete with each other, or let Mac play while Mayfield takes a redshirt year.

I think a 2nd brings in others as well like Jets, Denver and maybe someone we are not thinking like Jags or even Pats albeit their 2nd round pick is like a 3rd round pick.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote