Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AOC's Racist Speech
(04-11-2019, 09:42 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Trump pointing out and praising the one black guy at his rallies doesn't help either XD

Not sure if we're talking about the same black dude at a Trump rally, but if we are, he also referred to said black dude as "my African American".

Ain't nothin' wrong with dat...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(04-11-2019, 10:39 PM)GMDino Wrote: While I admit i haven't listen to or watched the video (I serious don't care about the topic of the thread), but voices and accents fascinate me, so isn't possible she always had that accent from growing up with people who did grow up in the Bronx?

I mean she said her mom was born and raised in Puerto Rico so even if they moved to Boston she'd be raised in a house hearing that accent during her formative years.

Our daughter spent a lot of her pre-school years being watched by her grandmother and great-grandmother who were both born and raised in Michigan and she has this quirky accent with certain words and phrases that sound just like them even though she was born and raised in PA.

Additionally if I am talking to someone for an extended period of time I will catch myself slipping into their accent if it is different than mine.  I'm sure I'm not the only person to pull a Zelig.  It's not even on purpose, it just happens.  And I've done it since I was a kid and become fascinated with things like this.

Many public speakers alter their speech tone and accents when public speaking even if it is not to "pander"...it's just a part of what you do when you learn to speak in front of others.  You can always hear it slide back in sometimes though.

So I'd propose she didn't learn the accent later as much as she always had it but also doesn't talk like that in more formal settings.

And I could be totally wrong, but I wanted to offer another perspective.

School plays a huge role in this. I know someone here from England whose kids lost their accent as soon as they started school. You can still keep certain words and phrases when you grow up. I will say "warter" for "Water" and "warsh", "Warshington". This comes from my grandparents who grew up in DC. 

But we know AOC doesn't talk like that. She was putting on an accent. I don't think it's racist and I don't think it's unique to politicians.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-11-2019, 05:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Absolutely nothing in her voice sounds like she is from the deep south.  There is no drawl.  There are no "y'all" or "honey" or any other southern colloquialisms.  Nothing about it sounds "deep south".
Her first sentence, you think that's normally the way she says "like," and that's not a southern "twang"?

"Ain't nothin wrong with that?"  You don't think that's trying to make it sound like she's southern and from the country?

"There's nothing WRANG with folding clothes for people to buy," and then even the way she says "buy" has a southern fling to it.

Please, argue against those.
(04-11-2019, 06:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He does not have a clue what he is talking about.  He kept accusing AOC of saying "y'all" and she never did.
He was using that as an example of what people from the south say, but never actually accused of her of saying it, and he only used "ya'll" twice.

Even so, he didn't "keep" accusing her, so why would you post that?
(04-11-2019, 11:41 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Her first sentence, you think that's normally the way she says "like," and that's not a southern "twang"?

"Ain't nothin wrong with that?"  You don't think that's trying to make it sound like she's southern and from the country?

"There's nothing WRANG with folding clothes for people to buy," and then even the way she says "buy" has a southern fling to it.

Please, argue against those.
He was using that as an example of what people from the south say, but never actually accused of her of saying it, and he only used "ya'll" twice.

Even so, he didn't "keep" accusing her, so why would you post that?

4:26
"But I know about New York. Especially the Bronx. Puerto Rican. You're not gonna hear all this "Y'all" and all this and that up there. That's not how New Yorkers sound period."

New York. Bronx. Puerto Rican. These were all direct ties to AOC. So he didn't directly accuse her of saying it, but he definitely heavily implied she used it.

In that specific quote, why not use the actual language she used? What's the point of saying they don't say Y'all in the Bronx? It was completely unrelated to the video and just makes him sound like he's confusing what each person said.

He also says in the video that he hesitates to call what Biden said was racist, as it's a very strong word. And he never refers to AOC as racist. So why are you so quick to throw racism around when he isn't?

Also, "ain't" is a colloquial term used all over the country, not just in the south. And she wasn't even talking to Southerners, so there's no reason she would be trying to appeal to Southern people. The whole argument doesn't really make any sense.
(04-11-2019, 10:58 PM)jason Wrote: Not sure if we're talking about the same black dude at a Trump rally, but if we are, he also referred to said black dude as "my African American".

Ain't nothin' wrong with dat...

Please stop pandering to the southern and/or black people in the audience with that last sentence. It's very upsetting.
Some thoughts:

1) It ain't racist. Black people in the South have a Southern draw too. In fact, a lot of this stuff in what they used to label as "Jive Talk" or "Ebonics" actually traces it's roots to Southern accents brought to the North. Also, I have met Hispanic and Asiatic people living in the South who develop Southern draws.

2) If that was an impersonation of a Southern Draw, that was absolutely the worst I've ever heard! Sweet Jesus! They ought to see if they can file charges just because it was so awful! Damn, girl!!!

3) A lot of my family lives down in Alabama. They all moved there after I left home, so I've never lived there myself. But if I spend more than one day visiting them, "the Draw" starts creeping into my speech. After a few days, I start sounding just like my nephews and nieces who were born down there. It's like the "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" or something the way it takes over.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(04-11-2019, 11:41 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Her first sentence, you think that's normally the way she says "like," and that's not a southern "twang"?

No.

Quote:"Ain't nothin wrong with that?"  You don't think that's trying to make it sound like she's southern and from the country?

No.

From Merriam's:
Quote:Is ain't a word?: Usage Guide

Although widely disapproved as nonstandard, and more common in the habitual speech of the less educated, ain't is flourishing in American English. It is used in both speech and writing to catch attention and to gain emphasis.  the wackiness of movies, once so deliciously amusing, ain't funny anymore  — Richard Schickel  I am telling you—there ain't going to be any blackmail  — R. M. Nixon It is used especially in journalistic prose as part of a consistently informal style.  the creative process ain't easy  — Mike Royko This informal ain't is commonly distinguished from habitual ain't by its frequent occurrence in fixed constructions and phrases.  well—class it ain't  — Cleveland Amory  for money? say it ain't so, Jimmy!  — Andy Rooney  you ain't seen nothing yet   that ain't hay   two out of three ain't bad   if it ain'tbroke, don't fix it  In fiction ain't is used for purposes of characterization; in familiar correspondence it tends to be the mark of a warm personal friendship. It has also long been commonly used in popular songs, both for metrical reasons and for the informal tone it conveys.  Ain't She Sweet   It Ain't Necessarily So  Our evidence shows British use to be much the same as American.

Shickel was from Minnesota and wrote for large metro papers.
Nixon was from California and POTUS.
Royko (one of my favorites) was as Chicago as celery seeds on hot dogs.
Rooney was from New York.

Quote:"There's nothing WRANG with folding clothes for people to buy," and then even the way she says "buy" has a southern fling to it.

Wrang sounds like someone making fun of a New York/Bronx accent. Now, if she'd said "There's nothing wrong with WARSHING cloths" or "There's nothin' wrawn' with foldin' clothes" then I'd give you that. But picking out maybe the most New York word there isn't a good example.

Like I asked earlier, is there a different video? Because this just sounds like a NEw Yorker.
(04-12-2019, 12:44 AM)Benton Wrote: Wrang sounds like someone making fun of a New York/Bronx accent. Now, if she'd said "There's nothing wrong with WARSHING cloths" or "There's nothin' wrawn' with foldin' clothes" then I'd give you that. But picking out maybe the most New York word there isn't a good example.

Like I asked earlier, is there a different video? Because this just sounds like a NEw Yorker.

That "R" that appears out of nowhere in accents from the Northeastern states and in some of the dialects in England drives me freaking berserk!
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
I haven't read all of the thread or watched the whole video, but are people claiming it is racist to attempt a southern accent and/or use the words typically found in our vernacular? If so, do people think that there are only white people in the south/Appalachia?

As a resident southerner to these boards, I would like to posit the idea that what may actually be racist is thinking that a southern accent is a "white" accent.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(04-12-2019, 12:48 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: That "R" that appears out of nowhere in accents from the Northeastern states and in some of the dialects in England drives me freaking berserk!

My girlfriend gives me shit every time I ask for "warter" at a restaurant. 

(04-12-2019, 08:14 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I haven't read all of the thread or watched the whole video, but are people claiming it is racist to attempt a southern accent and/or use the words typically found in our vernacular? If so, do people think that there are only white people in the south/Appalachia?

As a resident southerner to these boards, I would like to posit the idea that what may actually be racist is thinking that a southern accent is a "white" accent.

OP is claiming that AOC's accent was southern (it's not) and that it is racist for her to put that on for the predominately black audience she was speaking to. 

She was using a forced New York Puerto Rican accent. Think Rosie Perez but not as authentic.

(04-12-2019, 08:17 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: My girlfriend gives me shit every time I ask for "warter" at a restaurant. 

My speech is a weird combination of Yinzer and southern Appalachian. It's all hillbilly, so it mixes well. My wife, though, who grew up outside the Valley loves to give me shit for both things. Her favorite to poke fun of me for is my Yinzer habit of not using "to be" with verbs. "The car needs washed." "The flowers (more like 'flahers') need watered." Stuff like that.But imagine all of that with a bit of a southern drawl.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(04-12-2019, 08:18 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: OP is claiming that AOC's accent was southern (it's not) and that it is racist for her to put that on for the predominately black audience she was speaking to. 

She was using a forced New York Puerto Rican accent. Think Rosie Perez but not as authentic.

Ok. So then this whole thread is based on bullshit. Good times.

Also, the context clues I got on the last page did not match that at all.

(04-12-2019, 08:20 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: My speech is a weird combination of Yinzer and southern Appalachian. It's all hillbilly, so it mixes well. My wife, though, who grew up outside the Valley loves to give me shit for both things. Her favorite to poke fun of me for is my Yinzer habit of not using "to be" with verbs. "The car needs washed." "The flowers (more like 'flahers') need watered." Stuff like that.But imagine all of that with a bit of a southern drawl.

I've posted this before (or at least have seen it here and then posted it on facebook, idk), but a great dialect quiz

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.mobile.html?r=0011484808040060101200400100j100040k008020000l0200

I am consistently DC/Baltimore with some Richmond, which makes sense since my family is either native to MD (from Ireland), transplants from rural NoVa (from England and Germany), or transplants from Delaware (from Italy). 

(04-12-2019, 08:28 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I've posted this before (or at least have seen it here and then posted it on facebook, idk), but a great dialect quiz

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.mobile.html?r=0011484808040060101200400100j100040k008020000l0200

I am consistently DC/Baltimore with some Richmond, which makes sense since my family is either native to MD (from Ireland), transplants from rural NoVa (from England and Germany), or transplants from Delaware (from Italy). 

The map doesn't work, anymore. So sad.

(04-12-2019, 12:48 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: That "R" that appears out of nowhere in accents from the Northeastern states and in some of the dialects in England drives me freaking berserk!

It's not uncommon in southern Illinois, southern Indiana and Western Kentucky. 

Same as the "n" in prentzels. 
We do the "warsh" thing here. And I was unaware until my daughter told me, and I started paying attention, but we say "ope" a lot. Also if I'm not thinking I say "tore let" for "toilet". I don't know if that's part of a dialect, or just my own personal pronunciation.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(04-12-2019, 08:20 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: My speech is a weird combination of Yinzer and southern Appalachian. It's all hillbilly, so it mixes well. My wife, though, who grew up outside the Valley loves to give me shit for both things. Her favorite to poke fun of me for is my Yinzer habit of not using "to be" with verbs. "The car needs washed." "The flowers (more like 'flahers') need watered." Stuff like that.But imagine all of that with a bit of a southern drawl.

Now when I read your posts it's going to be in the voice of Fred gwynnes character in Pet Semetery.
(04-12-2019, 08:57 AM)Benton Wrote: Now when I read your posts it's going to be in the voice of Fred gwynnes character in Pet Semetery.

Never seen it, so this reference is lost on me.

(04-12-2019, 12:24 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: Some thoughts:

1) It ain't racist. Black people in the South have a Southern draw too. In fact, a lot of this stuff in what they used to label as "Jive Talk" or "Ebonics" actually traces it's roots to Southern accents brought to the North. Also, I have met Hispanic and Asiatic people living in the South who develop Southern draws.

2) If that was an impersonation of a Southern Draw, that was absolutely the worst I've ever heard! Sweet Jesus! They ought to see if they can file charges just because it was so awful! Damn, girl!!!

3) A lot of my family lives down in Alabama. They all moved there after I left home, so I've never lived there myself. But if I spend more than one day visiting them, "the Draw" starts creeping into my speech. After a few days, I start sounding just like my nephews and nieces who were born down there. It's like the "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" or something the way it takes over.

Excellent post.

This is what I was getting at.  She may or may not have deliberately used an "accent" but either way it's probably something she already had and covered up over the years.  And being around people can affect the way you sound even if it's only for a short period of time.

Bad video/audio but Josh Gates of "Destination Unknown" is a good example of someone burying their native accent to speak to a national audience.

https://youtu.be/phftO3W-r7s
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.