Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abolishing the suburbs?
I keep seeing this pop up in headlines and blurbs and I really don't have the energy to see WTH he's talking about.

I can only assume he's lying or taking something completely wrong.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
I knew that bill Pelosi sponsored to abolished the American way of life would come back to haunt her.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2020, 01:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I knew that bill Pelosi sponsored to abolished the American way of life would come back to haunt her.

Smirk

The closer we get to the election and the more desperate DJT becomes the more I expect to see him say stupid things but this is pretty good.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2020, 01:28 PM)GMDino Wrote: I keep seeing this pop up in headlines and blurbs and I really don't have the energy to see WTH he's talking about.

I can only assume he's lying or taking something completely wrong.

He's referring to desegregation regulations. It's a dog whistle for black people living in the suburbs. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2020, 02:10 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: He's referring to desegregation regulations. It's a dog whistle for black people living in the suburbs. 

This.

Desegregation = Destroy

"American way of life" = "Preserving western culture"
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2020, 02:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

Desegregation = Destroy

"American way of life" = "Preserving western culture"

"Southern" culture. Mellow
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote

You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
The National Review is a really nutty right wing website, but this is how they explain "Abolishing the suburbs"

Quote:Obama is a longtime supporter of “regionalism,” the idea that the suburbs should be folded into the cities, merging schools, housing, transportation, and above all taxation. To this end, the president has already put programs in place designed to push the country toward a sweeping social transformation in a possible second term. The goal: income equalization via a massive redistribution of suburban tax money to the cities.

Obama’s plans to undercut the political and economic independence of America’s suburbs reach back decades. The community organizers who trained him in the mid-1980s blamed the plight of cities on taxpayer “flight” to suburbia.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2012/08/burn-down-suburbs-stanley-kurtz/

Of course, this article was written back in 2012. Just like most Republican conspiracy theories, it spans back to Obama. Is there any credibility to it? Probably not. It is a lot more likely to be a dog whistle to racists.

Something to the tune of "If they make suburbs more like cities, you're going to have poor black people in your neighborhood! And that's exactly why you left the city in the first place!"
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 11:32 AM)GMDino Wrote:  

That's code for multi-generational minority families and gay couples. 

Reply/Quote
I think the issue being referenced is the requirement for every city to allocate a certain percentage of housing to section 8 housing.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 11:32 AM)GMDino Wrote:  

To be fair, suburbia and the sprawl that occurs with it has significant negative environmental impacts. Ninja
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 03:32 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: To be fair, suburbia and the sprawl that occurs with it has significant negative environmental impacts. Ninja

Honestly, and I mean this with the utmost sincerity, I wish the racists would just say what they think out loud.  All this murmuring and wishy washy doublespeak gets annoying.

The few absolutely racist people I know who speak their mind at least I know what they believe and can avoid them at all costs.  These guys who want to try and hide it because they are too afraid to actually stand up for what they believe in are the real weaklings.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 03:39 PM)GMDino Wrote: Honestly, and I mean this with the utmost sincerity, I wish the racists would just say what they think out loud.  All this murmuring and wishy washy doublespeak gets annoying.

The few absolutely racist people I know who speak their mind at least I know what they believe and can avoid them at all costs.  These guys who want to try and hide it because they are too afraid to actually stand up for what they believe in are the real weaklings.

It's what makes southern racists different from northern racists. Southern racists are more explicit about it.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 03:39 PM)GMDino Wrote: Honestly, and I mean this with the utmost sincerity, I wish the racists would just say what they think out loud.  All this murmuring and wishy washy doublespeak gets annoying.

Nick Cannon just entered the chat.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 03:59 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Nick Cannon just entered the chat.  Hilarious

Man my mind was blown when I realized how many prominent black people were hateful towards Jewish people.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 03:26 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I think the issue being referenced is the requirement for every city to allocate a certain percentage of housing to section 8 housing.

So the issue at hand was the Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing rule implemented by Obama that required Recipients of the Community Development Block Grant to conduct a review of any new development plan to ensure that it did not increase racial segregation and then develop local plans to address it. So it only affects communities actively seeking federal aid for building affordable housing and infrastructure.

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 04:24 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So the issue at hand was the Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing rule implemented by Obama that required Recipients of the Community Development Block Grant to conduct a review of any new development plan to ensure that it did not increase racial segregation and then develop local plans to address it. So it only affects communities actively seeking federal aid for building affordable housing and infrastructure.

Is thinking of that idea as "reverse gentrification" a good way to view it?  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 04:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is thinking of that idea as "reverse gentrification" a good way to view it?  

I’m sure some would. A key component of gentrification is it targets areas with high number of renters, usually because these areas were red lined so home values were incredibly low and families were incapable of generating generational wealth. The result is these renters, usually of color, are replaced with predominantly white middle to upper middle class people. This can be done by developers without the city playing a role.

In the case of building affordable housing, you increase the population rather than replace, so I personally wouldn’t look at it as “reverse gentrification”, but it can help to combat gentrification. This is planned by the city.

I think blockbusting could be described as “reverse discrimination”, since blockbusting was buying up homes in white neighborhoods and selling them to black families, often resulting in lower home values and less resources from the city. None of this was conducted by the city, but rather private investors and developers.

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 05:01 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I’m sure some would. A key component of gentrification is it targets areas with high number of renters, usually because these areas were red lined so home values were incredibly low and families were incapable of generating generational wealth. The result is these renters, usually of color, are replaced with predominantly white middle to upper middle class people. This can be done by developers without the city playing a role.  

In the case of building affordable housing, you increase the population rather than replace, so I personally wouldn’t look at it as “reverse gentrification”, but it can help to combat gentrification. This is planned by the city.

I think blockbusting could be described as “reverse discrimination”, since blockbusting was buying up homes in white neighborhoods and selling them to black families, often resulting in lower home values and less resources from the city. None of this was conducted by the city, but rather private investors and developers.

Thanks for the expanded explanation.  In my job as a Surveyor, I sometimes also assist the engineers with helping them to prepare drawings for submittal to the various planning departments.  I also sometimes assist with site design, and have to research various UDOs to ensure that what I am designing is in full compliance.  So, given the nature of my various work related duties, I find topics like this one interesting.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 04:15 PM)treee Wrote: Man my mind was blown when I realized how many prominent black people were hateful towards Jewish people.

One of the outcomes of the current unrest is a lot of non-white racists are feeling very comfortable in expressing their racism.  What you mention above is an open secret.  I can't tell you the amount of racist things I've heard black and hispanic people say, usually directed at the other.

(07-19-2020, 04:24 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So the issue at hand was the Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing rule implemented by Obama that required Recipients of the Community Development Block Grant to conduct a review of any new development plan to ensure that it did not increase racial segregation and then develop local plans to address it. So it only affects communities actively seeking federal aid for building affordable housing and infrastructure.

That would be completely reasonable.  I had heard, and believe me I didn't take it at face value, that this meant all cities had to open "X" percentage of available housing to section 8 housing.  
Reply/Quote