Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
According to Marvin, we need to extend him...
(01-26-2017, 02:08 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: No, it's the definition of insanity.

They are not really related. My fandom doesn't hinge on the success of the bengals. That is completely different than winning with Marvin as HC.  I don't expect a whole lot of change on the field with Marvin, but I'm not going to whine about it.  Again it's out of my control- and going to game is not changes nothing.  

Just like if you decide to not buy a jersey as a way to show the bengals. You are only really hurting yourself.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 03:00 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: They are not really related. My fandom doesn't hinge on the success of the bengals. That is completely different than winning with Marvin as HC.  I don't expect a whole lot of change on the field with Marvin, but I'm not going to whine about it.  Again it's out of my control- and going to game is not changes nothing.  

Just like if you decide to not buy a jersey as a way to show the bengals.  You are only really hurting yourself.

I try to live this way too....   Don't worry about the things outside of your control.

I have no control on what the bengals do and how the players play of the field.    Only thing I have control over is the team I root for.  And well switching team loyalty because of lack of success makes you a bandwager and those are the lowest forms of fans.    

I don't buy many jerseys or bengals things not because I'm mad at mike brown but cause they are expensive and I have a video game habit to support lol.   but I'm not gonna not buy something I want because they don't fire marvin.  That would be punishing myself for something outside of my control.

If people think a few people not buying jerseys or tickets will do anything. they are welcome to believe it.... but it wont. 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 03:00 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: They are not really related. My fandom doesn't hinge on the success of the bengals. That is completely different than winning with Marvin as HC.  I don't expect a whole lot of change on the field with Marvin, but I'm not going to whine about it.  Again it's out of my control- and going to game is not changes nothing.  

Just like if you decide to not buy a jersey as a way to show the bengals.  You are only really hurting yourself.

Right, so if the Bengals was to go winless over the next decade, you would still say this? Be honest. 

You've already stated that people will come to watch a competitive football team. And your fondest memories are of them winning close, competitive games. Why? Why do more people come out to watch a good football team vs a bad one? You want to see them succeed. You want to see them win. You want to see them be Super Bowl champions. 

And you can spare me with your superiority trip. Nobody here is "whining". We're *discussing* a topic of how we can influence change to a franchise that's in desperate need of it. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
[Image: giphy.gif]
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 04:29 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Right, so if the Bengals was to go winless over the next decade, you would still say this? Be honest. 

You've already stated that people will come to watch a competitive football team. And your fondest memories are of them winning close, competitive games. Why? Why do more people come out to watch a good football team vs a bad one? You want to see them succeed. You want to see them win. You want to see them be Super Bowl champions. 

And you can spare me with your superiority trip. Nobody here is "whining". We're *discussing* a topic of how we can influence change to a franchise that's in desperate need of it. 

Well nothing that we do is going to change it.  That's the point.

I'm only 30 but I remember rooting for boomer, and when big daddy came in, and even got a rookie kijana carter card from the sports cars store in Forest fair mall next to Biggs. It wasn't until I got a bit older did I start going to games but yeah... Unfortunately I would still be a fan.  As a Reds fan it's not much different.
Reply/Quote

I'm not hurting myself by not buying a jersey.  I'm making a statement.  Better option is to not buy tickets.  But if they extend Marvin and don't keep Zeitler and Kirkpatrick, while keeping Peko, Jones, Bodine, and Ogbuehi as starters, I will lose interest and take the year off.   am not investing any time in a team that doesn't want to win.  Hey, they could still surprise me.  If they resign Zeitler, that would be a huge positive step.
Reply/Quote
Hell to the no! I will use one name for my reasoning: Dan Quinn.

In 2015 he took over a team bereft of defensive talent, drafted accordingly, added a couple more offensive weapons, and poof Atlanta is in the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 05:32 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Well nothing that we do is going to change it.  That's the point.

I'm only 30 but I remember rooting for boomer, and when big daddy came in, and even got a rookie kijana carter card from the sports cars store in Forest fair mall next to Biggs. It wasn't until I got a bit older did I start going to games but yeah... Unfortunately I would still be a fan.  As a Reds fan it's not much different.

I'm 32, and remember same thing. I will always be a fan, and it's just at this point, change is so desperately needed, I'm down for trying anything because I also love the bengals. I will always be a fan, but it's so hard when you just want to see them compete for a Super Bowl. Some just express it differently:-)

I'm also a Reds fan and it's oddly similar franchises. They choked the SF series like only a Cincy team can Ninja
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 07:01 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I'm not hurting myself by not buying a jersey.  I'm making a statement.  Better option is to not buy tickets.  But if they extend Marvin and don't keep Zeitler and Kirkpatrick, while keeping Peko, Jones, Bodine, and Ogbuehi as starters, I will lose interest and take the year off.   am not investing any time in a team that doesn't want to win.  Hey, they could still surprise me.  If they resign Zeitler, that would be a huge positive step.

Agreed,

I'm not quitting on the Bengals ! I was a fan way before Mike Brown. But if they don't really shake things up this offseason, bring in a couple decent FA's, get rid of some of the dead weight (Peko, Maualuga, Bodine, Jones etc.) Fill some holes. I'm not sure I can take it ?

So basically I'm going to be doing other stuff on Sundays in the fall until MB is no longer running the show.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 09:35 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agreed,

I'm not quitting on the Bengals ! I was a fan way before Mike Brown. But if they don't really shake things up this offseason, bring in a couple decent FA's, get rid of some of the dead weight (Peko, Maualuga, Bodine, Jones etc.) Fill some holes. I'm not sure I can take it ?

So basically I'm going to be doing other stuff on Sundays in the fall until MB is no longer running the show.

Yeah that's basically where I am too.  
Reply/Quote
So, with ML going public and saying he and others need to have their minds put at ease with another contract extension, why do you suppose MB has not granted it yet?  Perhaps they're waiting for the fans' post-draft daydreams of a championship to emerge?  They don't want to scare away their season ticket holders just yet.  I mean, I think Marvin is taking advantage of Brown's old age by trying to tug on his heartstrings here.  Of course, he doesn't deserve an extension, much less being allowed to burn up next year trying to prove it (again).

Personally, I think the team will actually be worse next year no matter how the draft turns out because those rookies will never see the field anyway to actually help the team.  We're entering rebuilding mode which will take Lewis a number of years to work out.  The Dalton-Green era will end much the same as the Palmer-Johnson era I'm afraid.  Guys just getting old and never getting anywhere.

On a side note, I kinda miss Fred force feeding us all these stats showing all the "improvement" we've had under Lewis.  I feel like I'm slipping back into the mindset of indifference because I'm not getting all upset arguing with somebody over the Bengals.  Tongue
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
I don't give a flying **** about his mind being put at ease. Win a playoff game and earn it, idiot.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 06:14 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: If Our O Line has no Zeitler, but still includes Bodine and Ogbeuhi, if we let Kirkpatrick walk but Adam Jones is still here.  If we resiign Peko, and if Marvin is extended, I'm going to take a step back for a while.  

Every person that's a fan of this team should step back for awhile if it plays out like that (and I think that's the most likely scenario). Do something else on Sunday's, it would be more beneficial for everyone's overall health (aside from a few certain delusional nitwits who will still be hell bent on rewarding Mike Brown with their $$$). If this actually happens we will be on a fast track back to the 90's.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 11:16 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Pat...there is revenue sharing in the NFL. Going to games isn't how an owner makes their money. They get 1/32 of the pie whether the stadium is full or empty.

IF fans kept going to the games in the 90's...they'll go after 5 playoff appearances in 6 years. We have the longest I really think a lot of 'fans' are just happy that the team isn't 2-13 every year and will take a 10-6 season with a playoff appearance with a loss.

It's sad that this fanbase has been beatdown by losing so much that they are happy with mediocrity. We have not won a playoff game in 26+ years...while even the worst franchises have typically won atleast 5 over that span.

I'm well aware of revenue sharing but that's not the point. I agree, a huge percentage of our fanbase will go to the games regardless of how many asinine decisions they make in the offseason. Say Marvin is given an extension, pacman is brought back and we let Kirkpatrick walk, we let Zietler walk but roll with the likes of Bodine and Ogbeuhi... Why would anyone be delusional enough to support this? And yes, by purchasing season tickets or single-game tickets, you are, in fact, supporting it. That's not even up for debate. 

I guarantee you if the stadium is as empty as it should be, there will be a change the following season. Sadly, I'm well aware that that will never happen. Far too many Bengal fans are too stubborn to just step away for awhile. I will always be a Bengal fan until the day I die (and hopefully after, wherever I may end up). But I will not continue to devote my time and money on a franchise that continuously goes with what doesn't work and let's go of what does. I'll spend my Sunday's maybe hiking, skiing, picking up an extra shift, exercising, visiting family, f*****g apple-picking, whatever. I'm tired of getting worked up over a team that deep down I know will fail with the status quo. We all should be but it sounds like I'm in the minority

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 07:20 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Hell to the no! I will use one name for my reasoning: Dan Quinn.

In 2015 he took over a team bereft of defensive talent, drafted accordingly, added a couple more offensive weapons, and poof Atlanta is in the Super Bowl.

This. I'm a UK fan, and when they get a coach that wins a few games, gets them to the tournament and bows out consistently; they get a new coach! Not only that, they pay the money and get the absolute best one they can find. I've never understood why any team wouldn't do as much, especially if they want to contend, or already have a team that on paper should take it to the next level. I've gotta say I personally have changed my stance on Marvin Lewis. I used to think he was just too nice a guy and couldn't quite get over the hump. Now, I'm leaning towards him being more of an arrogant jerk that vastly over rates himself. I mean it would be like being in a normal job, and you just had your least productive year in some time; and you have the balls to ask for a raise. Along with that, I've advocated for a stricter, more demanding coach that could take that next step for some time now. Especially in the light of the Dan Quinn accomplishments, it would be a real slap in the face to Bengal fans to extend this guy now without seeing results this year, as it would be to not make the ultimate effort to extend all the quality players. The Bengal's organization needs to recognize there's a big difference between fans and fans who actively support the team. If they don't actively show effort to support us, then we should reciprocate the same to them. Part of why that doesn't work is Bengal fans don't fill the stands for home playoff games, so the difference to management is negligible. Maybe avoiding attending the games and opting to stay at home could get their attention, if the attendance drop is really significant. They choose not to listen to or support us, maybe it's time to do the same to them.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 07:01 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I'm not hurting myself by not buying a jersey.  I'm making a statement.  Better option is to not buy tickets.  But if they extend Marvin and don't keep Zeitler and Kirkpatrick, while keeping Peko, Jones, Bodine, and Ogbuehi as starters, I will lose interest and take the year off.   am not investing any time in a team that doesn't want to win.  Hey, they could still surprise me.  If they resign Zeitler, that would be a huge positive step.

:andy:
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2017, 11:29 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: And we enter the character-building phase of the off season ..... somebody make it stop

You know what really builds character? Winning! We're talking about grown men doing what they're being paid to do.  Save the character building for little leauge and kids in secondary school.  When you're talking about The NFL making it far in the playoffs is all that matters.  This is like Bruce Allen and his bollocks about "winning off the field" while constantly fielding terrible squads year after year. Sick
[img]http://[Image: power-rangers-dinozords-ranking-tigerzor...mhpcjr.jpg][/img]
Reply/Quote