Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adam Jones fined 35K
Jones said Wednesday that he has been fined $35,000 as a result of the incident with Cooper. Jones added that he plans to appeal the penalty, although it is considerably less than the $91,000-plus he would have lost if the league decided to suspend him. They passed on that option, perhaps because they weren’t in the mood to risk losing another appeal, but Jones still feels like he was penalized too much.

“It’s magnified because it’s me,” Jones said, via Geoff Hobson of the team’s website.

Past history has often played a role in discipline handed down by the league, but some acts are going to draw heavy fines regardless of what happened in the past. This feels like one of those cases and it’s hard to believe that there are too many players that would have avoided a stiff penalty for doing what Jones did to Cooper on Sunday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/16/adam-jones-fined-35000-plans-to-appeal/
Reply/Quote
At least he's not suspended
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Glad he wasn't suspended, a fine was warranted however.
Reply/Quote
Seems about right.
Reply/Quote
Out of 175+ fines handed out last year regarding incidents only ON the field, 1 of them was higher than Jones'. Almost every single fine fell between $5 - $22 thousand (not million) dollars.

Apparently the league thought it was slightly more serious than "just playing some football", but hey, call me crazy for using facts here.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 01:54 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Out of 175+ fines handed out last year regarding incidents only ON the field, 1 of them was higher than Jones'. Almost every single fine fell between $5 - $22 million dollars.

Apparently the league thought it was slightly more serious than "just playing some football", but hey, call me crazy for using facts here.

Or maybe because he has been in trouble with the league before? Good job pushing in an argument though.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 02:00 PM)Synric Wrote: Or maybe because he has been in trouble with the league before? Good job pushing in an argument though.

Or maybe because the league felt it was more serious than half the board took it?

If you didn't think this thread was going to turn into exactly what ALL of the other Jones' fine related threads turned into, then I don't know what to tell you.

BTW, are you just making stuff up or do you really think this fine was more than it would have originally been just because he was previously fined for a horse collar tackle 3 years ago? Rolleyes You do realize that was the only time he's been fined since he's been on the Bengals, right?

There's a 0% chance the league said "well, we WERE going to fine you $15k, but let's make it $35k since you attacked a stripper 8 years ago!"
Reply/Quote
Couldn't be prouder of Jones. All the cheap shots they took (we'll see if Iloka is back today). It's about time someone stood up to the other team. All the years/times our players have been taken out by the Steelers, and nothing. It's time for us to do the taking out (even though Cooper was just fine) when the going gets tough. Some penalties I don't mind. I'd rather them come out ready to fight, vs ready to sleep like the Tampa game.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 02:08 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Or maybe because the league felt it was more serious than half the board took it?

If you didn't think this thread was going to turn into exactly what ALL of the other Jones' fine related threads turned into, then I don't know what to tell you.

BTW, are you just making stuff up or do you really think this fine was more than it would have originally been just because he was previously fined for a horse collar tackle 3 years ago? Rolleyes You do realize that was the only time he's been fined since he's been on the Bengals, right?

There's a 0% chance the league said "well, we WERE going to fine you $15k, but let's make it $35k since you attacked a stripper 8 years ago!"

You are a joke.

Anyway glad Pacman isn't suspended he is the best corner on the team and one of the most underrated shutdown corners in the league.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 02:19 PM)jj22 Wrote: Couldn't be prouder of Jones. All the cheap shots they took (we'll see if Iloka is back today). It's about time someone stood up to the other team. All the years/times our players have been taken out by the Steelers, and nothing. It's time for us to do the taking out (even though Cooper was just fine) when the going gets tough. Some penalties I don't mind. I'd rather them come out ready to fight, vs ready to sleep like the Tampa game.

Total agreement!!!
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 02:08 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Or maybe because the league felt it was more serious than half the board took it?

there is very little logic in the leagues brand of justice.....

Ray rice hits a girl and career over..

Ben rapes a couple still playing
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 02:30 PM)Synric Wrote: You are a joke.

Anyway glad Pacman isn't suspended he is the best corner on the team and one of the most underrated shutdown corners in the league.

Why am I a joke? Because I use facts to back up my statements while all you do is run around with nothing to ever back up anything you say?

Seems like someone is super upset and taking things personally after being wrong about some recent arguments....

I like how you make a baseless claim about him being in trouble with the league, then I show you how he hasn't had issues outside of a horse collar tackle 3 years ago, and then you whine and start calling names when you're proven wrong. Pretty sure you could have just said "whoops, I guess I thought he was in more trouble in the past".
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 01:54 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Out of 175+ fines handed out last year regarding incidents only ON the field, 1 of them was higher than Jones'. Almost every single fine fell between $5 - $22 million dollars.

I agree that $35k was too high all things considered.

Suh's history:
$7,500 slammed Delhomme to turf
$5,000 used opponent to gain leverage on FG attempt
$15,000 Slammed Cutler to turf
$20,000 slammed a helmetless Dalton to turf
$165,000 slammed Dietrich-Smith's head into ground and then did a stomp as well (2 game suspension).
$30,000 kicking Schaub in the groin
$100,000 chop block on Vikings Center Sullivan
$31,500 for helmet to helmet on Weeden's chest
$7,875 for throat slash
$70,000 1 game suspension overturned for stepping on Rodgers calf.

almost all of his infractions are considered safety issues, so based on Suh's history as a repeat offender, I see no reason why Adams fine shouldn't be around $10-15k max.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 02:19 PM)jj22 Wrote: Couldn't be prouder of Jones. All the cheap shots they took (we'll see if Iloka is back today). It's about time someone stood up to the other team. All the years/times our players have been taken out by the Steelers, and nothing. It's time for us to do the taking out (even though Cooper was just fine) when the going gets tough. Some penalties I don't mind. I'd rather them come out ready to fight, vs ready to sleep like the Tampa game.

Those two are not related but okay. 

How many occurred after the whistle? How many occurred during the course of a play?
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 02:56 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: there is very little logic in the leagues brand of justice.....

Ray rice hits a girl and career over..

Ben rapes a couple still playing

There's a ton of logic if you actually know about the situations instead of making it sound the way you did with your statements.

Ray Rice was caught on video tape, there's no speculation involved with this, he punched a girl and caveman dragged her out of an elevator. That's that, nothing else to see here, he's 100% guilty. Also, what do you mean "career over"?? You do realize he was suspended indefinitely and then reinstated less than 2 months later, right?

"Ben rapes a couple" is a bit much seeing as there is a lot of speculation and baseless claims that get thrown around. I love to call Ben "the rapist" as much as the next Bengals fan, but let's not kid ourselves and honestly believe that he's running around raping girls in bathrooms. There's no evidence, no proof, nothing. All we have to go on is a couple of girls that could just be wanting attention and got mad when Ben turned them down at a bar. Or he could have actually raped them, I don't know and neither do you, but it honestly doesn't seem that likely if you look at things with an objective eye.

I really wish people would stop just making these broad claims all the time on here and think about things before saying them. I know you have to try and strengthen your side of the argument, but it just gets picked apart so easily by anyone willing to take 2 minutes to explain how things actually happened.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 03:01 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Those two are not related but okay. 

How many occurred after the whistle? How many occurred during the course of a play?

Iloka was knocked out the game post whistle. It's what got the team fired up.

We haven't even taken a Steeler out during the play for crying out loud. While they've ended the careers of our players (Rivers).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 02:58 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: almost all of his infractions are considered safety issues, so based on Suh's history as a repeat offender, I see no reason why Adams fine shouldn't be around $10-15k max.

Well that was my entire point.

You usually never see a fine as high as $35k unless it's something the league deemed pretty serious or if you're a regular offender of on the field mishaps.

Adam Jones horse collar tackled somebody 3 years ago and slapped a stripper 8 years ago. Neither of those have anything to with why his fine is $35k no matter what people on these boards want to believe. People can keep senselessly calling others a "joke" for pointing out facts, but at the end of the day those facts aren't changing.

Sorry to hurt anyone's feeling with this, but apparently it's a soft spot for some. I didn't even say my opinion on the matter in this entire thread, I merely pointed out how the league obviously felt about it by looking at the numbers and people start whining. I shouldn't be so surprised.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 03:06 PM)jj22 Wrote: Iloka was knocked out the game post whistle. It's what got the team fired up.

We haven't even taken a Steeler out during the play for crying out loud. While they've ended the careers of our players (Rivers).

No he wasn't.
He was rolled up on during the tackle of Cooper. 
Leon was the one who got hit after the whistle.

So....that justifies chicken shit post-whistle attacks? No. It means grow a pair and hit them between the whistles. 
And it didn't end Rivers' career. 
Reply/Quote
What Jones did after the whistle deserves a fine and if the league says 35k, then it's 35k.you will see no complaints from me about him getting his wallet lit up.

That being said, getting punched in the throat would be enough to set any one of us in here off. So while he should have kept his cool, I can totally understand why he didn't.

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 03:09 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Well that was my entire point.

You usually never see a fine as high as $35k unless it's something the league deemed pretty serious or if you're a regular offender of on the field mishaps.

Adam Jones horse collar tackled somebody 3 years ago and slapped a stripper 8 years ago. Neither of those have anything to with why his fine is $35k no matter what people on these boards want to believe. People can keep senselessly calling others a "joke" for pointing out facts, but at the end of the day those facts aren't changing.

Sorry to hurt anyone's feeling with this, but apparently it's a soft spot for some. I didn't even say my opinion on the matter in this entire thread, I merely pointed out how the league obviously felt about it by looking at the numbers and people start whining. I shouldn't be so surprised.

PFT actually brought up a very good point on both Suh and Jones.
You will see the higher fines because they want to avoid the independent arbitrator so close to the Brady ruling and risk losing another suspension case.
Fines are much harder to over turn. 
Reply/Quote