• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adam Jones is in a cast
Well, this is certainly dark news.

I'm sure that Marvin has a contingency plan.. Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Wow...aside from Bonnie, there sure are a lot of chicken littles running around.

I won't say that he will be anywhere near what Adam Jones would be, but the kid from Oregon, Troy Hill, is likely going to see a lot of action on the outside.  Hall will likely be back as slot corner, but if he can't go, then we may see Josh Shaw again.  Iloka will likely be back, and that is a big plus given his experience.

Here is the big difference between this game and Arizona:

They know going in what they will have to do.  In AZ, the Bengals were dropping like flies and guys had to come in and defend a high powered offense in their house.  This game, at home, pits two hated rivals against each other.  Ask yourself:  which team is healthier?  The Bengals, by far.  They have more of their offensive weapons and the loss of one CB is not going to destroy this team's opportunity to make it very difficult for the steelers to make the playoffs.

I have faith in the preparation of players like Troy Hill and Josh Shaw to come in and hold down the fort while the veterans heal.  This team will find a way.  I'm betting, like against Cleveland, they rely on their front four to get pressure and they play in nickel much of the day.  They might keep two safeties deep and force Pig Ben to work underneath.  Keep the corners up in press and make their receivers earn every yard off the line of scrimmage.  While Pig Ben waits for someone to break free, the front four will be working toward nailing his fat ass.  The receivers will  have to work crossing routes, and the likes of Iloka, Williams, and Shaw will be waiting to lay them out.  And Pig Ben's ol pal Reggie Nelson will be waiting deep for Piggy to throw one long...and intercept it.

It is time to put these fat pigs to bed without supper.
Reply/Quote
I can't go through all the posts here, but just a couple things.

They haven't ruled Adam out for Sunday yet, despite what he said on the way out of the locker room. He wasn't in the mood to talk, trust me.

Remember, the Bengals DBs don't "travel" - so that means Jones wasn't on Brown every play. They stick to their side of the field. I think the bigger concern is if Hall isn't ready to go. He usually gets Wednesdays off for a "veterans day" like Whit, but he was listed as being out due to his back. That's still not good. If you're rolling with Dre and Josh Shaw on the edges, Troy Hill in the nickel, that's a tall order.

Asa Jackson is a veteran, so I'll be checking to see if the Bengals play some more roster roulette if needed this weekend.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
I can't see adam being out if he can actually go. I can see him out if he isn't full go.

If marvin is joking about it then it's obvious he isn't worried. He must know at least hall and shaw will be back. Along with Illoka.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2015, 11:33 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: They're going to have to figure it out.  We're a lot better off personnel wise than we were at this time last year.   We can still win this.  Guenther is paid to figure stuff like this out.  He'd better do that.

I wouldn't be as concerned were it not for the other injuries.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I think Iloka is pretty underrated. He's played solid as or safety. Not having a fully healthy Jones could be trouble. Coaches have a pretty tough job to do this week. Do they sit him in anticipation of him being close to 100% for the playoffs or do we risk losing him for the year for a better shot at locking up the division.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the Jets and Chiefs have to win out to have a shot at a wild card. If both teams lose and we win at least one more game we have at least clinched a playoff spot for a worst case scenario.

Jones is our top corner when healthy and can provide a spark in the return game.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 12:47 AM)jowczarski Wrote: I can't go through all the posts here, but just a couple things.

They haven't ruled Adam out for Sunday yet, despite what he said on the way out of the locker room. He wasn't in the mood to talk, trust me.

Remember, the Bengals DBs don't "travel" - so that means Jones wasn't on Brown every play. They stick to their side of the field2. I think the bigger concern is if Hall isn't ready to go. He usually gets Wednesdays off for a "veterans day" like Whit, but he was listed as being out due to his back. That's still not good. If you're rolling with Dre and Josh Shaw on the edges, Troy Hill in the nickel, that's a tall order.

Asa Jackson is a veteran, so I'll be checking to see if the Bengals play some more roster roulette if needed this weekend.

Chicken little..... Ninja

Reply/Quote
That's alright we have Nelson and Burfict in there so apparently we're gonna tear the ligaments of all 11 starting offensive players.
Reply/Quote
I like all of our starters and hope injuries wont keep any of them from playing the rest of the way, but wouldn't it be sweet if we had the next great shutdown CB tucked away somewhere and if any of the starters can't go, come in, in this huge game, and have his coming out party?

I really liked what I saw from that kid, whose name escapes me right now, before he got hurt last week. I wanna see more of him.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2015, 11:33 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: They're going to have to figure it out.  We're a lot better off personnel wise than we were at this time last year.   We can still win this.  Guenther is paid to figure stuff like this out.  He'd better do that.

William Gay is going to be out for the Steelers. Andy and Ben can just air it out all day long. May the best subs win.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
November 27th, 1988. Look it up.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Still got Reggie "Steelers Killer" Nelson. Iloka and Williams at Safety. I have no problem playing all 3 at once as long as one is super deep. Hall, Kirkpatrick, and the rotation can take care of the rest. It may not always be pretty.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all but I wish we had drafted Tyrann Mathieu instead of Margus Hunt back in 2013. I'd rather keep 7 CBs than 5 DEs anyways. Or heck...even Travis Kelce would've been better. Anyways, I hope we've learned from the experiment.

Reply/Quote
If this team is as good as we think they are, one injury to Adam Jones won't dictate this game.

We are a TEAM!! :heart:
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 01:38 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: November 27th, 1988. Look it up.

We beat the Bills?

(12-10-2015, 02:23 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: If this team is as good as we think they are, one injury to Adam Jones won't dictate this game.

We are a TEAM!! :heart:

True....but Adam is our best CB.  Remember how we looked without Burfict and Atkins?  I just wanted to be all hands on deck against these *****.  I HATE Shitsburgh.

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 01:46 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: Still got Reggie "Steelers Killer" Nelson. Iloka and Williams at Safety. I have no problem playing all 3 at once as long as one is super deep. Hall, Kirkpatrick, and the rotation can take care of the rest. It may not always be pretty.

Except Iloka is not currently practicing either due to a groin injury he suffered in practice last week. No Jones, Hall, or Iloka vs. Ben and his receiving corps is enough to keep me up at night. Guenther has to dial up the pressure all day. Definitely cannot let Ben stand in the pocket and pick us apart.
Reply/Quote
My understanding is that our scheme matches up well against their offense. They love to take the top off a defense with the long ball. We err on giving up the dink and dunk, and don't let teams go deep...

With specific injuries:

Today and tomorrow will be telling on Hall. He usually gets Wednesday's off when healthy anyway. Let's see if he goes limited today or tomorrow.

Iloka would be good to have back, but I thought Williams has looked better the last few weeks.

Guenther loves our depth, and said as much yesterday. Getting the rookies snaps last week is great. Shaw is back. They love Hill. And in case you missed it, Chris Lewis-Harris was signed to the practice squad. He can be brought up if necessary, and be a guy who knows exactly what to do.

My concern would come from Pittsburgh running four receiver sets all game, but I don't think they're wired like that...

I also expect our offense to play more wide-open this time. Marvin seems to like to go ultra-conservative on the road, especially in Pittsburgh.

I think Guenther will have his crew ready to get after Pittsburgh, and Hue will have the offense ready to fly high if needed. The team wants to kick some butt this week.

On a side note: did everyone see what Chris Carter had to say about this game? It was an interesting perspective, as he started out playing for the steelers. He said that while Baltimore is considered Pittsburgh's biggest rival, the Bengals are Pittsburgh's most physical rival. The Steelers are all told to get extra time in the weight room during Bengals weeks because they were going to get hit the hardest they'll get hit all season by Cincinnati... That's pretty rad!
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 12:47 AM)jowczarski Wrote: I can't go through all the posts here, but just a couple things.

Remember, the Bengals DBs don't "travel" - so that means Jones wasn't on Brown every play. They stick to their side of the field. I think the bigger concern is if Hall isn't ready to go. He usually gets Wednesdays off for a "veterans day" like Whit, but he was listed as being out due to his back. That's still not good. If you're rolling with Dre and Josh Shaw on the edges, Troy Hill in the nickel, that's a tall order.

That was my thought exactly.  If both Hall and Jones are out this week, plus Dennard on IR, it is going to be extremely difficult for the Cincinnati DB's to hand with their receivers all day.
Reply/Quote
Funny how Pacman says "it's going to be bloody" this week and then shows up in a cast?
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 12:11 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Funny how Pacman says "it's going to be bloody" this week and then shows up in a cast?

I thought it was Marvin Jones who said that.
Reply/Quote
Jones is a pitbull.... if he can be out there, you can be assured he would be...
Reply/Quote